2007 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very cool to hear.

I'm in the post-MCAT, pre-correspondence limbo; every day brings the question: Who will be sucker enough to grant me an interview?

I hate waiting... :(

EDIT

I'm wearing out my mouse by clicking Refresh on my INBOX. Maybe they waited an additional ten seconds before sending the invite, you know?
haha, i know that feeling. did you send all your secondaries in already? or are you still waiting for those?

Members don't see this ad.

hi out there! thanks to everyone for their postings; encouraging and nice to have company on this long road. i took the august mcat; secondaries were all completed beforehand. Anyone have an idea approximately how long the average wait is to hear about interviews? Good luck to all! :luck:

two acceptances.... two waitlists, one pending decision, and two more interviews ( and hopefully more) coming up.... Thank goodness for filing early! :)

TRUST ME im VERY nontraditional- If i can do it ANYONE CAN! - IF you really want it....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys... 25 years old in about a month... can I join in ? :)

Yep, with the exceptions of GU, GWU, and JHU (which I'm still working on), and WVU (for which I'm still waiting).
that JHU application is so freaking long (especially for md/phd).

Come on in. Most of us are in our late 20's, early 30's (right?), I'm 29.
i'm young...i still never really decided if i qualify as non-trad...but i'm not in school right now, so i guess i do.

You're a non-trad? When did you graduate?
i graduated in may 2005. i've been working for about a year and a half. like i said, not really not-trad, but i'm also not a senior in college like most people applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i graduated in may 2005. i've been working for about a year and a half. like i said, not really not-trad, but i'm also not a senior in college like most people applying to med school.

Ah..ok. I guess I'm the same as you by default. Graduated May 2006. Only 6 months ago, lol!

I think there a million different ways to be non-trad. Welcome ALL to this thread :) :thumbup:

My AACOMAS GPA was calculated today and oddly both my science and overal GPA are 3.587. Weird coincidence. Hopefully they'll mail it out this weekend. So, I'm going to get my secondaries done Sunday while my rents watch my kids (and while my husband watched the DirectTV guy install his HD receiver :laugh: ) I'm hoping to get some interviews by Thanksgiving which is also the day of my younger son's first birthday party. They grow up too fast!

Gobble gobble and hope y'all are doing well!

Hi Non-Trads.

Two interviews in upcoming weeks:
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine (OMG!!)
University of Illinois-Chicago School of Medicine (YAY!!)

Alternate (Pre-Interview Holds) at:
Medical College of Wisconsin (Come on!)
Southern Illinois University

Hoping to Interview at:
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Drexel

:luck: non-trads. Let's do this thing.

yes... but when you phrase it like that, it makes me feel old.

I know that there are a number of non-trads in their 40s and 50s that frequent this forum and are active members. The diversity is what makes the non-trad forum such a great place. I actually feel like a "young" non-trad! ;)

I just stared at my INBOX for a few seconds in shock, then did a full body spasm in my haste to schedule the interview. :D

Thanks guys. Other good news is that the first of my studies passed the science review committee, so the next step is IRB approval. All the feedback I've gotten so far indicates that it should be a quick approval, so I should be collecting data within a week or two. :)

All I have to do is finish some corrections to the other study, and I'll be up and running on them both. :D

I haven't posted here yet, mostly because the application season had seemed to start out well, with some early interviews, and I hadn't wanted to jinx myself. I had hoped that a high MCAT could make up for a low GPA, and maybe that the adcomms would look at where the GPA came from.

I let my hopes get a little too high, I think... I got interviews from 4/5 Texas schools, from Tufts (where I'm currently a graduate student), and from 2/9 other schools where I'm complete.

The only two that I hoped to hear from in the near term are Vanderbilt and Baylor, but there's a transcript issue with Baylor and I just got waitlisted by Vanderbilt.

I might hear from Tufts in early November and the Texas schools in mid-November. Until then I'm going to be trying to pass my classes and wishing I knew what went wrong at Vanderbilt. Does anybody know whether there's a legitimate way of asking them?

:(

I haven't posted here yet, mostly because the application season had seemed to start out well, with some early interviews, and I hadn't wanted to jinx myself. I had hoped that a high MCAT could make up for a low GPA, and maybe that the adcomms would look at where the GPA came from.

I let my hopes get a little too high, I think... I got interviews from 4/5 Texas schools, from Tufts (where I'm currently a graduate student), and from 2/9 other schools where I'm complete.

The only two that I hoped to hear from in the near term are Vanderbilt and Baylor, but there's a transcript issue with Baylor and I just got waitlisted by Vanderbilt.

I might hear from Tufts in early November and the Texas schools in mid-November. Until then I'm going to be trying to pass my classes and wishing I knew what went wrong at Vanderbilt. Does anybody know whether there's a legitimate way of asking them?

:(
When I was looking for potential schools, Vanderbilt seemed pretty downright nontrad unfriendly to me, and I ended up not applying. I think they are looking for a more traditional applicant with an above average GPA. That being said, at least you didn't get rejected, so there is still a possibility there!

Your best chance lies instate, and I would still bet large sums of money that you will be accepted somewhere instate.

I've just discovered this site and spent the last hour catching up on this thread. Thanks for that to den mother, MiesVanDerMom, and thanks also to JJ for bringing sexy back.

As the interview season gets going at full throttle I'm especially anxious to hear what non-traditional applicants have been asked by interviewers, in particular questions that seem specially designed for us, the musty post-25 crowd. Can y'all help out? I promise to report my own experiences as I collect them. So far I have one interview scheduled in mid-November at U of Rochester. I originally applied to 19 schools, though I eliminated 2 of them at the secondary-application stage. I've only just finished my last secondary application after submitting my AMCAS application in mid-July.

If you're interested, here are a few personal details to add a bit of flesh to these spare e-bones. I'm 35 and have led the life of a cultural vagabond up to this point. Mostly I have spent time learning foreign languages and traveling on the cheap, and have taught Italian and Spanish at universities, private language schools and privately here and in Europe. I've also spent big chunks of time learning woodworking, biking around the US, Spain, France and Italy, and accumulating too many degrees and credits to reasonably justify. Lots of interesting experiences, but my life lacks focus and I've not had a real career yet, so I feel compelled to convince med schools that I can be serious. My GPA won't keep me out, but it won't knock down doors either. Both my science and general GPAs are 3.58. My graduate credits yield a GPA of 3.9, but I was never pursuing a degree in grad school, and have none to show for my time there. My MCAT went much better: 37R (Bio-13, Ver-12, phy-12), which I hope will compensate for my goodish-but-not-great GPA. I'm intent on primary care in an urban community clinic and have been quite explicit about this where possible in my applications. I have work and volunteer experience as an interpreter in a community clinic, as a member of the board of directors in the same, and as director of recreational therapy in a combination residential-skilled-nursing and adult-day-health facility for people with AIDS (where I currently work).

I'd love to hear about your interview experiences, especially if you're as old and odd as I am.

-Chulito

Chulito,

Your stats are great. If you think that your life seems unfocused, there is a POSSIBILITY that your interviewer may also pick up on that and ask you questions about that, but not necessarily. You will be asked questions that you should be expecting: Why medicine, why now, what in your life experiences led you to medicine, etc, etc, wht didn't you like about your previous career/"life," etc.

The interview feedback section of this website is excellent, so I would recommend you take a look at the wealth of previous interview questions (organized by school) posted there.

Hey, JJ. Thanks for the response. I've indeed mined the interview section for its riches and composed lists of 50-150 questions for my top five schools, with plans to prepare others as invitations to interview come in. It's a great resource, you're right, but I haven't found much in the way of seasoned-man-of-the-world (or woman, of course) questions. I think the particular questions that you've mentioned will be important and probably common, but are there other non-trad-specific questions that people are getting?

-Chulito

Hi all...Ive seen some of you on other threads (notably Mies...hola!) but for some reason never stumbled on this one. Im in the middle of paralysis dread mode...secondaries done, checking status page like a compulsive lunatic, but nothing happening.

A bit of background - UCBerkeley grad, four years out of school, 3.5 34S mcat, 4.0 post bacc, applied to about 24 schools. Spent those years mostly abroad in an alternate career (humanities undergrad).

I had my secondaries all received and acknowledged as complete between oct 2 and 19. So far, no rejections, but also no interviews, but perhaps that's because it is early yet. On the plus side, I did get secondaries from UCDavis, UCLA, and UCIrvine, which are the only schools I know that screen. UCSF I'm still waiting to here, but it just passed the 3 week (of 3-10) threshold. I suspect I'll get dinged there - no secondary, but that's ok. Also waiting on OHSU, which I dont expect to get since Im OOS. Ive applied to a range of schools - Rosalind and Drexel on the low side, Pitt, the UCs, Dartmouth, Penn, on the reach side...

So, any encouragement (or reality check) you can offer would be appreciated. Im doing my mock interviews now to prepare, and thinking about interview wardrobe, etc. Fortunately my bf has 600k freq flier miles which will help me out with interview flights...sure hope I need to use them.

Good luck to you all, and congrats to the few I noticed that already have acceptances. In case you are wondering why I just got complete acknowledgents, I had an AMCAS transcript issue, and after being almost completely verified, went to the back of the line and lost two months. OUCH!

Hi all.

I'm looking at a pile of secondaries right now. I was just curious if you guys have any good questions for the inevitable "Do *you* have any questions you'd like to ask us?" question? I don't actually have any interviews yet, but it seems like most people get asked that...

Thanks,
~Cal

Hi all.

I'm looking at a pile of secondaries right now. I was just curious if you guys have any good questions for the inevitable "Do *you* have any questions you'd like to ask us?" question? I don't actually have any interviews yet, but it seems like most people get asked that...

Thanks,
~Cal
here's my suggestion for how to deal with those questions. even if you don't specifically get asked if you have questions for them, always be prepared with the Qs. before you do an interview anywhere, you're going to read up on that specific school's program, right? so while you're reading along, if you find something that interests you, make a note to ask about that during your interview. even if it's something you think you already understand or know about, go ahead and ask anyway. chances are you'll get some new information, and you will look more interested in the school since you took the time something that specifically interests you about that school. example:

ADCOM at ABC school of medicine: So, scentimint, now that we know all about you, do you have any questions you'd like to ask us?
SCENTIMINT: Sure. Can you tell me a little bit about the XYZ program at ABCSOM? Since I have some XYZ experience already, I think it might be right up my alley.
ADCOM: Excellent question scentimint. You see, the XYZ program ...

:thumbup: :luck:

Hi, I am a non-traditional as well. Worked a few years after college and then did a full time post-bacc program program.
My GPA and MCAT are good but not stellar (science 3.8, general 3.6, MCAT 31P)
So far my application process is not going well. With only 1 interview and 5 rejections. I applied to 25 schools. Even the state schools have not offered an interview. sign..
Why this process has to be so hard? <just venting>

Hi all.

Thanks,
~Cal

Google "med school interview questions" or something like that and you should get some good sites with question lists to get you thinking.

Hello Everyone. I'm a fellow non-trad and recently found this website and have been browsing it ever since. Here's a bit about me and I'd really appreciate if anyone can give me feedback on areas where I need to improve and the best way to go about these improvements. Please be brutally honest...I can take it
ok, here goes. I've written the MCAT twice now, first time with ZERO studying I got 20Q (8VS, 7PS, 5BS). My second time writing the MCAT I got 24P (6VS, 10PS, 8BS) My MCAT scores are really weak so I'm doing the princeton review and re-writing in April 07.
My undergraduate cumulative average (I studied Mechanical Engineering) is 75%. (My transcript doesn't have a GPA conversion) I graduated in 2003. I also did a one year course based Master's in Biomechanical Engineering and finished that with an 81%. I then worked for a year in industry using my mech eng degree. Now I'm back at school doing bio, organic chem and general chem prerequisites. I also tutor underprivileged kids in math, science etc and volunteer at a hospital 7 hrs/wk. I have no research experience.
I was planning to apply this cycle (2007) but since my MCAT score is so poor I don't think it's worth it to apply anywhere at all.
Comments? Please point out my weaknesses and anywhere you think I can improve on my application. also, i'm only interested in allopathic med schools.
Thanks

Hello Everyone. I'm a fellow non-trad and recently found this website and have been browsing it ever since. Here's a bit about me and I'd really appreciate if anyone can give me feedback on areas where I need to improve and the best way to go about these improvements. Please be brutally honest...I can take it
ok, here goes. I've written the MCAT twice now, first time with ZERO studying I got 20Q (8VS, 7PS, 5BS). My second time writing the MCAT I got 24P (6VS, 10PS, 8BS) My MCAT scores are really weak so I'm doing the princeton review and re-writing in April 07.
My undergraduate cumulative average (I studied Mechanical Engineering) is 75%. (My transcript doesn't have a GPA conversion) I graduated in 2003. I also did a one year course based Master's in Biomechanical Engineering and finished that with an 81%. I then worked for a year in industry using my mech eng degree. Now I'm back at school doing bio, organic chem and general chem prerequisites. I also tutor underprivileged kids in math, science etc and volunteer at a hospital 7 hrs/wk. I have no research experience.
I was planning to apply this cycle (2007) but since my MCAT score is so poor I don't think it's worth it to apply anywhere at all.
Comments? Please point out my weaknesses and anywhere you think I can improve on my application. also, i'm only interested in allopathic med schools.
Thanks

Canadian A?

Accepted to CCOM, my first choice, today. Good luck everyone.

Stats? Non-trad post-bac route or from scratch?

one "non-trad" question that I've gotten, that took me a bit by surprise, was:

"As an older applicant, what challenges do you forsee working with predominantly younger students?"

Now, I understand this is game, but I'm only 28...and have been working with undergrads the past year and a half doing post-bacc work. So I politely explained that (and got an acceptance 2 weeks later). But just a heads-up in case it comes anyone else's way...

And of course the "why medicine" q is much more interesting for us non-trads. :)

What up Non-trads?

I got the fabulous: "How are you going to have a baby? In med school?"
:eek:

Like it's any of their f-ing business that I don't want to have kids.

Also: My third interview invite: Rosalind Franklin (10/31)

:luck: and love to you all!

Jackie

jackie, you kick so much a** it's not even funny! :)

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for some more interviews soon!!

Did that come out of nowhere?? Bizarre.... I haven't gotten that one yet.... but then I guess it is apparent I have children from my application.....

So how'd you handle it?

Congrats on the interview invites!

I'm kinda still afraid to speak it outloud for fear of jinxing something. But I'm going to be a Dr..... USUHS acceptance arrived in the mail today.... :D

I'm kinda still afraid to speak it outloud for fear of jinxing something. But I'm going to be a Dr..... USUHS acceptance arrived in the mail today.... :D

That's good news! Just looked at your MDprofile - you'll definately get some more acceptances.

Must feel great to know that you will at least be somewhere in the fall ... Here's hoping for more good news for us post-bacs!

RisingSun

:( So got my first real rejection today. It sucks. I called the school up and they told me why. Too bad it doesn't do my any good since I'm done with all my dozen or so interviews :smuggrin:

The instate schools should start saying something by the next two weeks, so there is hope. It's amazing how a small glimmer of hope helps us get by :love:

What up Non-trads?

Also: My third interview invite: Rosalind Franklin (10/31)

:luck: and love to you all!

Jackie

Congrats Jackie and runningmom! I've been rooting for both of you :love: :) :thumbup:

Jackie: WTF? with that baby question? :mad:

good luck everyone :luck: keep it up!