2007 SDN Match Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you match?

• Yes, I matched!

Votes: 96 82.8%
  • No, I didn't match.

Votes: 20 17.2%

• Total voters

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's match time again and every year I collect and post applicants' stats anonymously. Your participation provides data that are not available elsewhere and are helpful to those who follow in your footsteps!

Also, several faculty and I have started Pearls in Ophthalmology, which is a newsletter for new and current residents. The purpose of the newsletter is to provide you with review articles that will help new residents get up to speed and to stimulate review for current residents. If you would like to opt into this newsletter, then please subscribe at: http://www.medrounds.org/ophthalmology-pearls/2006/12/subscribe-to-free-pearls-in.html

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED UNTIL AFTER MATCH DAY, JAN 17, 2007
Reminder: ranklists due by JAN 10, 2007, 12:00 PM (PST)

In addition to the poll above, if you would like to participate in the anonymous detailed listing of matched and unmatched applications (hopefully all matched on this board), then please submit a personal message to me. I'll post your stats without identification if you prefer. (Click here for 2006 SDN Match Poll).

If you send me a PM or post, then please use the template below:

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews:
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all who matched! I encourage all newly matched residents to sign up for the Pearls in Ophthalmology Newsletter!

Statistics for 2007

--Board Scores: 249/99; 250/99
--AOA and class rank: AOA 9/180
--Reputation of medical school: bottom 50
--Research: few ophtho publications
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, OB, Neuro, Family
--# and where you did away rotations: Utah, Iowa
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--Where invited for interviews: Bascom, Iowa, Casey, Utah, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, Mayo, UC Davis, Colorado, U Florida, Georgetown, Mt. Sinai, Seattle, 26 total
--Where matched: Bascom Palmer
--Anything that helped your app: Letters from people that I worked with on aways.

==========

--Board Scores: step 1 = 244
--AOA and class rank: if known: top 25%, not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): top 25
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): Extensive non-ophtho, a little ophtho (case report in the works, poster, abstract)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): Medicine, OB/GYN
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at MEEI
--# of programs you applied to: 41
--Where invited for interviews: Wilmer, Mass eye and ear, Casey, Iowa, Columbia, NYEEI, UIC, Cornell, Stanford, NYU, Duke, BU, NYMC, Sinai, UNC, Akron, Rochester, Temple, Yale, Cincinnati, Albany, East Virginia
--Where matched: Mass Eye and Ear!!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): Very nice letters of rec (2 from fairly well known ophtho people).

==========

--Board Scores: 220 Step I, 237 Step II
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: 1 ophtho pub, 1 ARVO presentation, 2 non-ophtho pubs, many non-ophtho presentations
--Honors in clerkships: Surgery, Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 in New York
--# of programs you applied to: 44
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 16 interviews, went on 12
--Where matched: #1 choice in New York
--Anything that helped your app: Two outstanding ophthalmology letters of recommendation

--Board Scores: 248 Step I
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 15
--Research: many non ophtho pubs and presentations
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine and all ophtho rotations
--# and where you did away rotations: No away rotations
--# of programs you applied to: 20
--Where invited for interviews: Baylor, Bascom Palmer, Wilmer, Iowa, Doheny, Jules Stein, Mass Eye and Ear, Michigan, Oklahoma, UT Houston, UTMB Galveston, Duke, Emory, Washu, UT Southwestern, Scheie
--Where matched: #1 choice - Baylor
--Anything that helped your app: Two outstanding ophthalmology letters of recommendation and MD/Phd

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: step 1 236, haven't taken step 2 yet
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, top 1/3
--Reputation of medical school: top 5
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) some ENT research between first and second year; three months of ophtho research; no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) medicine, ophtho sub-i, peds, ob/gyn, psych, EM
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: 17 total invites, went on 10 (Michigan, Vanderbilt, WashU, UVa, Colorado, Kentucky, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, U Rochester, Arkansas; did not go to Louisville, Indiana, Boston U, UNC, Minnesota, MCW, or UT Memphis)
--Where matched: Vanderbilt!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) i think it definitely helped me that i went to Vanderbilt for undergrad. otherwise, i'm a pretty standard applicant but i'm excited to finally get to add to this poll and couldn't be happier about going back to nashville.

--Board Scores: 241
--AOA and class rank: Not released yet by my school
--Reputation of medical school: top 2
--Research: 10 surgical publications; 1 book chapter; 11 presentations; 2 ophtho papers in preparation
--Honors in clerkships: Neurology, psychiatry, Medicine, all electives and sub-Is. P on surgery. HP in everything else.
--# and where you did away rotations: No away rotations
--# of programs you applied to: 31
--Where invited for interviews: Baylor, Bascom Palmer, Wilmer, stanford, vandy, Iowa, Doheny, Jules Stein, Mass Eye and Ear, UT Houston, Duke, Washu, Colorado, UT Southwestern, Scheie, UCSD, UCSF, Wills, Cornell, Columbia, NYEEI, UCI, Cleveland clinic, Mayo, Utah. Went to 15 interviews total.
--Where matched: Mass Eye and Ear (where I wanted to go)
--Anything that helped your app: LORs from well-known faculty

Board Scores: Step 1: 246 Step 2 CK: Not Taken Yet
--AOA and class rank: AOA, 19/152
--Reputation of medical school: Little known state school
--Research: No publications, 3 non-ophtho projects as an undergrad
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, HP in all others
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 32
--Where invited for interviews: SUNY Buffalo, Rochester, SUNY Upstate, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Wills, Bascom Palmer, Vanderbilt, UCSF, MCV/VCU, Yale, Penn State, NS-LIJ, Brown, Geisinger, Albany
--Where matched: Wills Eye Hospital
--Anything that helped your app: interesting personal statement/good writing skills, call from chairman

--Board Scores: 240, 262
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, top 25%
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): top 25
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) non-ophtho research
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, medicine, family medicine, psychiatry
--# of programs you applied to: 37
--Where invited for interviews: Vanderbilt, UAB, Emory, New York Eye and Ear, Case Western, Wake Forest, UVA, UT-Memphis, GW, Georgetown, Maryland, Cincinnati, MCG, South Carolina, EVMS, Temple, Kentucky, LSU-Oschner, Tulane, Sinai, Friedenwald
--Where matched: Wake Forest
--Anything that helped your app: earned a big wig letter of rec from a guy who rarely writes them, it carried my application

--Board Scores: I: 235, II: 234, III: 205
--AOA and class rank: AOA and upper fourth
--Reputation of medical school: unknown
--Research: (none, some undergrad) non-ophtho research
--Honors in clerkships: pretty much all of my classes and Sub-I's.
--# of programs you applied to: >50
--Where invited for interviews: GW, Drexel U, Bronx Lebanon, UF-Gainesville, Tulane, Univ of Puerto Rico
--Where matched: UF-Gainesville
--Anything that helped your app: Navy experience as a Diving Medical Officer. Very diverse working experience (hard worker).
--Anything that hurt my app: No previous ophtho experience and no LOR's from ophthalmologists.

--Board Scores:217/232
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Research: ophtho research/presentation/publication
--Honors in clerkships: surgery and medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: Temple
--# of programs you applied to: 60
--Where invited for interviews: 25 total invites/went on 18 (Brown, Wills Eye, Georgetown, Tufts, Sinai, Cincinatti, Temple, Albany, SUNY upstate, SUNY downstate, S. Carolina, Buffalo, Einstein, UMDNJ, Nassau, St. Vincents)
--Where matched: Brown
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letter of recs

--Board Scores: Step 1: 240/97, Step 2: Not taken yet
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, 3rd quarter (middle third)
--Research: Minor non-ophtho research in college.
--Honors in clerkships: Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 1, OU
--Where invited for interviews: UTMB, UTSW, OU, Northwestern, UIC, UT Memphis, Arkansas, KU, Wake Forest, Henry Ford
--Where matched: KU
--Anything that helped your app: A very good interview, boards

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1: 253, Step 2: 259
--AOA and class rank: AOA, 6/230
--Reputation of medical school: ~40ish per US News
--Research: ARVO poster, presentation at national pediatrics conference, misc. non-published research
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in everything but pediatrics.
--# and where you did away rotations: Casey
--Where invited for interviews: Attended: Casey, Iowa, Michigan, Bascom Palmer, UCLA, UCSF, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt, UC Davis, CPMC, UPenn, Colorado, Utah; Did not attend: Ohio State, Illinois - Chicago, Northwestern, Virginia, Yale, NYEE, Stanford, Florida
--Where matched: Did not match
--Anything that helped your app: Clearly, showing up made things worse; haven't received any feedback yet.

==========

--Board Scores: 262/99
--AOA and class rank: junior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 15
--Research: one month basic science research with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: All honors except sub-I (high pass)
--# of programs you applied to: 33
--Where invited for interviews: casey, utah, cpmc, UCLA, oklahoma, UTSW, Baylor, Iowa, Michigan, SLU, WashU, UAB, Bascom, UNC, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, UIC, Cleveland Clinic, Wills, Scheie, Mass Eye and Ear, Wilmer
--Where matched: Mass Eye and Ear
--Anything that helped your app: strong letters from very well known faculty

==========

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Board Scores: Step 1 - 236
--AOA and class rank: not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 10
--Research: some ophtho, some publications but no ophtho pubs
--Honors in clerkships:
--# and where you did away rotations: None
--# of programs you applied to: 45
--Where invited for interviews: 18(U. Rochester, Iowa, Wisconsin, U. Washington, OSU, Cole, U. Arizona, SLU, Wash U, Tufts, UVA, U. Fl, Casey)
--Where matched: U. Rochester
--Anything that helped your app: Good letters.

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1: 264; Step 2 ???
--AOA and class rank: AOA/no class rank
--Reputation of medical school: Top 50
--Research: significant non-ophtho basic science research with two pubs; unpublished ophtho chart review
--Honors in clerkships: Everything but OB/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 UWashington
--# of programs you applied to:34
--Where invited for interviews:25: went to wills, scheie, baylor, wilmer, bascom, umich, casey, duke, washu, utsw, cole, uwash-seattle, tufts, bu, wisconsin, pittsburgh. Could no go: Emory, Vanderbilt, Mayo, Cornell, Case Western, UVA, UIC, UT Houston, UNC
Rejected: MEEI, NYEEI, UCSF, Stanford, Maryland, U Chicago, Northwesern, Georgetown, GW
--Where matched: UTSW
--Anything that helped your app: No big wig letters but they were very good letters: one ophtho, one medicine one g-surg;

========

--Board Scores: 257, 248
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, 2nd quartile
--Reputation of medical school: unknown, 6 yr BS/MD program
--Research: some ophtho w/no publications
--Honors in clerkships: ob/gyn, 2 away ophthos (although I don't think anyone actually saw those)
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 - Children's Boston, Univ. of Chicago, GWU
--# of programs you applied to: 61
--Where invited for interviews: 15 - SUMMA, Ohio State U, St. Vincents Manhattan, Temple, Drexel, EVMS, Univ. of Illinois, Univ. of Chicago, Northwestern, GWU, Kresge, Henry Ford Cincinnati, Rocky Mts. Lions Eye Institute, UNC - Chapel Hill
--Where matched: #6 Ohio State Univ.
--Anything that helped your app: good LORs

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1:213, Step 2:216
--AOA and class rank: Second Quartile
--Reputation of medical school: Top 25
--Research: lots of ophto research with accepted and pending publications
--Honors in clerkships: did not honor medicine or surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 3
--# of programs you applied to: above average
--Where invited for interviews: a couple of top ten programs, a few middle tier programs, and a couple of "lower end" programs
--Where matched: middle tier program (location made it a top choice)
--Anything that helped your app: did a reasearch year and made sure ahead of time that I would actually have alot done or in progress by application time; performed well at away rotations, which made my below avg board scores less relevant (passed the smell test). I ended up matching at a program that I rotated at, which was also a program that told me I otherwise probably wouldn't have gotten an interview due to their board score screening process.

=========

--Board Scores: Step I 228/92
--AOA and class rank: No AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Unknown
--Research: Ophtho case report submitted
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in Ophtho x 2, High Pass in Surgery, OB/GYN, Psych, Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 2
--# of programs you applied to: 56 (couples matching)
--Where invited for interviews: UNC, Wake Forest, UC Davis, CPMC, Rush, U Chicago, Northwestern, Cook County, Sinai Baltimore, MCW, W. Beaumont
--Where matched: UNC
--Anything that helped your app: big-wig letters of recs, extraordinary extracurriculars, and lots of luck

Congratulations to everyone!

=========

Board Scores: 235 Step I
--Reputation of medical school: top 20
--Research: mechanical engineering publication from college
--Honors in clerkships: FP/Surgery/Ob-Gyn/Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: 1
--# of programs you applied to: 40
--Where invited for interviews: 36 programs, interviewed at Wilmer, UAB, UTSW, Wake Forest, Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Emory, Texas A&M, Baylor, UTSA.
--Where matched: #1 choice
--Anything that helped your app: ? I have not read my letters. The rest you can see. Overall I think it was solid but nothing special.

==========

board scores: Step 1 234/95
AOA/rank: junior AOA, #8 in class
Reputation of med school: don't know (middle tier?)
research: none, but many activities, community service, and leadership roles
Honors in clerkships: Surgery, Med, Peds, Psych, Ophtho,
# aways and where: 1 away at NYEEI
#programs applied to: 40
Where invited: 16: Downstate, U of Rochester, BU, Georgetown, NS-LIJ, SUNY Upstate, Albany Med, Maryland General, Howard University, U of Maryland, St Vincents, NYMC B/Q, Nassau University, Geisinger sp?, Penn State, Drexel.
Where matched: Downstate!
What helped application: Great letters of recommendation, my activities,

==========

--Board Scores: step 1: 99 (256), step 2: 96 (253)
--AOA and class rank: N/A
--Reputation of medical school: Foreign med school with good reputation
--Research: strong research (basic + clinical)
--Honors in clerkships: N/A
--# of programs you applied to: 99 programs! (sorry, I missed the deadline for the other 17 programs)
--Where invited for interviews: USC/Doheny, Indiana, U of Arkansas, Tulane, LSU Shreveport
--Where matched: Indiana (my #2 choice)
--Anything that helped your app: excellent scores, strong research at a top 10 place, ophtho publications, presentations at 4 different ophtho meetings (AAO, AGS, ASCRS, & ARVO), board certified in internal medicine, and strong letters.

==========

--Board Scores: 246, 257
--AOA and class rank: no AOA, not 20%
--Reputation of medical school: average
--Research: ophtho, ortho, ENT publications submitted
--Honors in clerkships: Honors: sugery, psych, peds, neuro ophthoX2, derm
--# and where you did away rotations: UTSW, MEEI
--# of programs you applied to: 42
--Where invited for interviews: 22 invites, interviewed at MEEI, BPEI, UTSWm Iowa, Wash U, Oklahoma, Vandy, Kentucky, Indiana, Wake Forest, UVA, Mizzou
--Where matched: UTSW
--Anything that helped your app: ophtho tech for 3years in college, program alumni LOR, ophtho research

==========

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Board Scores: Step I=99% Step II-Not taken
--AOA and class rank: Top 26%; No AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Top 20
--Research: 6 ophtho publication (submitted for review); 1 non-ophtho publication accepted
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in Surgery, medicine, and all sub-I's including ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: 0
--# of programs you applied to: 50+ (had to because I was trying to couples match--He wouldn't tell me where he wanted to apply (eeer!)
--Where invited for interviews: 13--UIC, Vanderbilt, Boston U, UCLA, Mayo, UNC, UVa, some others
--Where matched: Vanderbilt!!!! I'm happy!
--Anything that helped your app: No phone calls or thank you notes!

=========

--Board Scores: 246 Step 1, haven't taken Step 2 yet
--AOA and class rank: not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): top 10
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) basic science ophtho research with no pubs, clinical ophtho research with upcoming ARVO poster, lots of non-ophtho research with no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) psych, medicine sub-i, all ophtho electives
--Where invited for interviews: UTMB, UTSW, Baylor, UC Davis, Duke, Pittsburgh, Casey, UVA, Vanderbilt, Wash U, UC Irvine, SUNY Downstate, Cole/Cleveland Clinic, UT Houston, NYEEI
--Where matched: Casey!
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) two great letters from well-known faculty

=========

--Board Scores: Step 1 244/99
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: average
--Research: 2 first author papers, 2 posters
--Honors in clerkships: medicine and surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 2
--Where invited for interviews: invited to 29, went on 16: SUNY Downstate, Cornell, Columbia, NUMC, Tufts, BU, Henry Ford, UTSW, UIC, Loyola, Iowa, Baylor, Bascom Palmer, UMKC, Vanderbilt, MUSC
--Where matched: UTSW!!!
--Anything that helped your app: an externship, and very strong letters

=========

--Board Scores: Step 1- 228, step 2- 258
--AOA and class rank AOA, top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: middle of the road
--Research: very minimal non-published, non-ophtho, 10 years ago
--Honors in clerkships: all clerkships, including medicine, surg, ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations:none
--# of programs you applied to:40
--Where invited for interviews: invited to 19 - only went to Buffalo, upstate, downstate, rochester, MEEI, BU, Colorado, UVA, Mt. Sinai, Einstein, Yale, Rush
--Where matched: Colorado!
--Anything that helped your app: being a non traditional student

==========

--Board Scores: 261, Step 2 not taken
--AOA and class rank: AOA, no class rank
--Research: some clinical ophtho (1st author submitted to Ophthalmology but pending; poster), co-author of non-ophtho treatise chapter, policy-related publications, geriatrics summer research fellowship and related posters, research assistant for NEJM article
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, surgery, ob/gyn, peds, neuro, psych, ER, ophtho sub-i
--# of programs you applied to: 27
--Where invited for interviews: Baylor, Wilmer, USC, Michigan, Duke, Harvard, Wash U, UCLA, Scheie, Wills, UCSF, Stanford, Bascom, Iowa, Columbia, Cornell, NYEE, Cole, Vandy, UIC, Cleveland, NYU
--Where matched: Wilmer
--Anything that helped your app: additional degree, letter of rec from well-known faculty member at home institution

this is fantastic news DiveMD. i am really happy that things worked out for you! of course, CONGRATULATIONS to all the others on this forum who successfully matched as well!

--Board Scores: I: 235, II: 234, III: 205
--AOA and class rank: AOA and upper fourth
--Reputation of medical school: unknown
--Research: (none, some undergrad) non-ophtho research
--Honors in clerkships: pretty much all of my classes and Sub-I's.
--# of programs you applied to: >50
--Where invited for interviews: GW, Drexel U, Bronx Lebanon, UF-Gainesville, Tulane, Univ of Puerto Rico
--Where matched: UF-Gainesville
--Anything that helped your app: Navy experience as a Diving Medical Officer. Very diverse working experience (hard worker).
--Anything that hurt my app: No previous ophtho experience and no LOR's from ophthalmologists.

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: 243 (step I) and 252 (step 2)
--AOA and class rank: senior AOA, unknown class rank
--Research: ophtho publication pending
--Honors in clerkships: don't have honors
--# and where you did away rotations: one away rotation at Tufts
--Where invited for interviews: MCG, SLU, UTSW, UAB, Vandy, UT Memphis, BU, MUSC, Tufts, Mayo, U Maryland, Ohio State, Kresge Eye Institute, Wake Forest, U Florida
--Where matched: U Maryland
--Anything that helped your app: no phone calls or thank you notes

--Board Scores: step I 252, step II not taken
--AOA and class rank: AOA, no rank
--Research: 2 non-ophtho publications, 1 ophtho in submission
--Honors in clerkships: all
--# of programs you applied to: 25
--Where invited for interviews: Iowa, WashU, Vandy, Michigan, Wills, Wilmer, Emory, MUSC, UNC, Duke, Wisconsin, UT-Memphis, UF-Gainsville, UVA, Arizona, Colorado, UT-SW
--Where matched: Michigan
--Anything that helped your app: decent letters, charm

=================

--Board Scores: Step 1: 232 Step 2: 242
--AOA and class rank: AOA, 12/140
--Reputation of medical school: mid to bottom tier state school
--Research: some ophtho with no publications, some general surgery with no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: all except surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 1
--# of programs you applied to: 25
--Where invited for interviews: Invited to 14, went on 11. Oklahoma, MUSC, Arkansas, Mississippi, MCG, Indiana, U Cinncinati, Ohio State, Wake Forest, UTSW, UTSA, SLU, Memphis, Mizzou.
--Where matched: #3
--Anything that helped your app: was told had great letters, not from big-wigs though. A lot of prior experience and exposure to ophtho.

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1 234
--Research: several non-ophtho publications in ID, 1 ophtho clinical research pub
--Honors in clerkships: all except surgery, neurology
--# of programs you applied to: 38
--Where invited for interviews: UCSF, UCD, CPMC, Stanford, UCI, USC, Casey, UMich, MEEI, Tufts, BU, Cornell, NYU, Columbia, Mt Sinai, Wilmer, Scheie, Wash U, Cleveland Clinic, UIC, Iowa, UTSW
--Where matched: UCSF
--Anything that helped your app: research experience, 2 good letters from well-known faculty, good interviews

==========

--Board Scores: I: 245 II: 251
--AOA and class rank: Top 25%, not AOA
--Research: some neuro research, no pubs
--Honors in clerkships: School does not give clerkship honors
--# and where you did away rotations: no aways
--# of programs you applied to: 38
--Where invited for interviews: 26 invites, including...OU, UVa, UTSW, Florida, UAB, Wake, Penn St., UT-Memphis, MUSC, Bascom, Vandy, etc. Went of 10 interviews.
--Where matched: UAB!!
--Anything that helped your app: Good letter from chair. No calls. Thank you's to everyone

==========

--Board Scores: 232
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, top 25% of class
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) top 25
--Research: some ophtho with no publications
--Honors in clerkships: honors in medicine, near honors in surgery, honors in ophtho
--# and where you did away rotations: one away at UCDavis
--Where invited for interviews: UCDavis, CPMC, UCSD, Iowa, Casey, Med U of South Carolina, U of South Carolina, Emory, UT Southwestern, UT San Antonio, MCG, EVMS, Cornell, Loyola, Arizona
--Where matched: Casey

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1: 241 Step 2: 249
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top 1/3
--Reputation of medical school: Top 20
--Research: non-ophtho Abstracts and grants, non-ophtho paper pending, 1 month of ophtho research
--Honors in clerkships: surgery, medicine, FP
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 research elective at Wilmer
--Where invited for interviews: UTSW, Baylor, UIC, UCLA, Texas Tech, UTSA, Colorado, Case Western, Pittsburgh, BU, Yale, UVA, CPMC, UT-Memphis, UTMB Galveston
--Where matched: UTSW!
--Anything that helped your app: Good LOR, solid research, good interview, no calls

==========

--Board Scores: Step 1: 90% percentile, Step 2:99% percentile (>260)
--AOA and class rank: Top 10% not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 5)
--Research: ophtho and non-ophtho publications including 1st authorships
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in nearly all clinical rotations including 2 subIs
--# and where you did away rotations:none
--# of programs you applied to:20ish
--Where invited for interviews: MEEI, Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Scheie, Wills, Wilmer, Duke, Bascom, Wisconsin, Michigan, WashU, Iowa, Casey, CPMC, UCSF, UCLA, Doheny
--Where matched: My first choice
--Anything that helped your app: outstanding letters from well-known faculty (most helpful), additional degree

FYI, to those of you visiting matchapplicants.com to add your profile, and noticing several functions out of order, the profile addition and editing works great, but some supporting pages are still under development. Further development has been slightly delayed due to my scrambling to figure out what to do with myself next year. But, still, add away!

--Board Scores: Step 1 232, Step 2 258
--AOA and class rank: Ranked #2, Senior AOA
--Honors in clerkships: All except Peds, Ob/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 (LSU)
--# of programs you applied to: 15
--Where invited for interviews: UT-Memphis, BPEI, Iowa, Emory, Wake Forest, UAB, LSU, OU (Dean McGee), Wash U, MUSC, Wills, UVA, etc.
--Where matched: UT-Memphis (First choice)!!!!
--Anything that helped your app: great LORs, no calls

--Board Scores: Step 1 232, Step 2 258
--AOA and class rank: Ranked #2, Senior AOA
--Honors in clerkships: All except Peds, Ob/Gyn
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 (LSU)
--# of programs you applied to: 15
--Where invited for interviews: UT-Memphis, BPEI, Iowa, Emory, Wake Forest, UAB, LSU, OU (Dean McGee), Wash U, MUSC, Wills, UVA, etc.
--Where matched: UT-Memphis (First choice)!!!!
--Anything that helped your app: great LORs, no calls
Greenwave, congrats on matching to your number 1! I'm an M3 at UT-memphis and am hoping to do optho. I have my 1st elective coming up in March at UT. Please tell me what made you rank UT #1 (staff, residents, surg. volume...etc). I know it is a great program and I am hoping to stay here if possible. What are my chances for matching at UT or in optho in general?

step 1: 236
class rank: top 25% (don't know about AOA yet)
school rank: middle tier probably
research: no optho yet, but 2 solid research projects, 2 publications, and 1 presentation at a regional conference

I would really appreciate any advice you have. Once again congrats.
-matt

--Board Scores: Step I 238/96
--AOA and class rank: AOA, rank unknown
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) not top 50
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) some ophtho abstracts presented
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) Honors in all, but pediatrics and ob-gyn
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--Where invited for interviews: U Rochester, Albany, Syracuse, Albert Einstein, Mt Sinai, St Vincent's Manhattan, St Vincent's Brooklyn, LIJ, UMDNJ, Boston U, Tufts, U of VA, UNC, Drexel, Penn State, NYMC
--Where matched: UMDNJ
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) other degree

========

--Board Scores: Step 1: 242/98, Step 2 not taken
--AOA and class rank: Senior AOA
--Reputation of medical school: Horrible--No name state school without an ophtho department
--Research: 1st Author on 3 ophtho pubs, plus 1st or 2nd author on 3 more ophtho pubs in preperation.
--Honors in clerkships: Psych, OB, Ophtho. High Pass in Med and Surg.
--# and where you did away rotations: Summer research after 1st and 3rd years at big name institutions with big-wig faculty. No clinical aways.
--Where invited for interviews: Wills, Wilmer, Duke, Iowa, Scheie, Cornell, Tufts, UIC, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Georgetown, Yale, Wisconsin, GW, Albany, NYMC, Loyola, Beaumont
--Where matched: Georgetown
--Anything that helped your app: outstanding letters from home institution, lots of research, "big-wig" research letters. However, I feel that going to a top 10 med school would have helped much more.

I heard a Ross grad matched in ophtho. Can someone confirm this and tell us where?

I heard a Ross grad matched in ophtho. Can someone confirm this and tell us where?

Confirmed, LSU. Saddest part is ophtho was just a backup "lifestyle" residency choice for this person, along with Radiology and Psych. It saddens me beyond words to see a spot go to such an undedicated (admitted disdain for ophtho!, and I quote "I'm only doin' this for the lifestyle"), unqualified (one ophtho rotation, poor step 1 score, no papers, etc) applicant. This info is all first hand.

Confirmed, LSU. Saddest part is ophtho was just a backup "lifestyle" residency choice for this person, along with Radiology and Psych. It saddens me beyond words to see a spot go to such an undedicated (admitted disdain for ophtho!, and I quote "I'm only doin' this for the lifestyle"), unqualified (one ophtho rotation, poor step 1 score, no papers, etc) applicant. This info is all first hand.

Something doesn't add up. How did an FMG with a poor step 1 score and no record of dedication match into ophtho? Most of the FMGs that I know who have matched into ophtho are super qualified.

It saddens me too that this student matched. But I'm sure his apathy for ophtho will catch up to him! Even a lifestyle specialty is a life of misery if you dont enjoy it.

Shalom are you sure about the poor Step scores? I heard that they were in the 90s for both 1 and 2. Anyways, the reseaon this person got in is b/c of family (I think uncle was ophthalmologist). The old addage that it's not what you know but who you know comes true yet once again.

As everyone knows, it's unusual to see an FMG match in ophthalmology. But when you see an FMG with poor scores, regardless where he matched, one gets a little suspicious.

During my interviews, I encountered several FMG applicants. Every single one of them has a superb CV (completed ophtho residency in home country, scores close to 99/250, several years of research in top places with publications, ...). But nothing is impossible. Again, connections do help a lot.

Shalom are you sure about the poor Step scores? I heard that they were in the 90s for both 1 and 2. Anyways, the reseaon this person got in is b/c of family (I think uncle was ophthalmologist). The old addage that it's not what you know but who you know comes true yet once again.

Step 2 was in the 90's, but this person (who matched) told me they scored close to 15 points higher in Step 2 than Step 1. Based on these numbers, I figured she scored in the mid 80's for Step 1...but who knows. I was just guestimating based on what I was told.

one of the current residents @ NYEEI told me that someone matched this year b/c their dad is an attending. They said this person wasn't originally offered an interview until dear old dad threw some weight around.

this thread is horrible. What ever happened to hard work getting into a spot? And I'm sure that if any of you had any 'in' to a residency you wanted you'd jump on that boat so fast.

Besides the information your posting is so wrong. You're basing your opinions on rumors. Plus you're confusing 2 different people. I know both and you're making them both out to be horrible persons when neither of them are.

I pity them because they might have to work with folks like you.

Just to set the record straight. Yes I am an FMG from Ross who matched in New Orleans for Ophthalmology, and I am thrilled about my match in Ophtho and about the location of my match (my first choice), New Orleans rocks!

However, there are MANY rumors about me that I need to de-bunk. First off, I did have both a Step 1 and Step 2 score that was in the 90's (and yes, I did have an increase on step 2 of 17 points, but guess what, your guesstimation of my Step 1 score being POOR is WRONG (cause it was in the 90's). Secondly, someone else posted something about my Ophthalmologist uncle hooking me up, and guess what I don't have an uncle who is an Ophthalmologist!!! Actually I am proud to be the first MD in my entire family(on both sides). Third, I did a total of 3 electives in Ophthalmology (I liked Ophthalmology during my first elective and to confirm that I liked it the specialty, and I went on that did two more electives).
I did indeed have 2 back-up specialties in case I did not match into Ophthalmology, also fields that I really liked (radiology and psychiatry). But guess what, just because someone likes more than one specialty does NOT make them un-qualified for Ophthalmology. Sorry, that I am a well rounded person with interest in more than one field of medicine. And I think it's wise as an FMG to have backups, afterall, I did not want to be without a residency next year.

There is so much I truly love about Ophthalmology. But I don't need to convince a bunch of haters of my excitement for the field. And BTW, only a shallow person would pick a field simply for lifestyle!! I'm thrilled that I get to do something that I really like and I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to practice a field that I am very excited about. The only disdain I have, is the disdain of rumors. Especially rumors from classmates who are jealous. I will do everything in my power not to have to work with mean spirited rumor embracing and cutthroat people like Shalom2U next year in new orleans. Congrats to everyone who worked hard and matched!

Just to set the record straight. Yes I am an FMG from Ross who matched in New Orleans for Ophthalmology, and I am thrilled about my match in Ophtho and about the location of my match (my first choice), New Orleans rocks!

However, there are MANY rumors about me that I need to de-bunk. First off, I did have both a Step 1 and Step 2 score that was in the 90's (and yes, I did have an increase on step 2 of 17 points, but guess what, your guesstimation of my Step 1 score being POOR is WRONG (cause it was in the 90's). Secondly, someone else posted something about my Ophthalmologist uncle hooking me up, and guess what I don't have an uncle who is an Ophthalmologist!!! Actually I am proud to be the first MD in my entire family(on both sides). Third, I did a total of 3 electives in Ophthalmology (I liked Ophthalmology during my first elective and to confirm that I liked it the specialty, and I went on that did two more electives).
I did indeed have 2 back-up specialties in case I did not match into Ophthalmology, also fields that I really liked (radiology and psychiatry). But guess what, just because someone likes more than one specialty does NOT make them un-qualified for Ophthalmology. Sorry, that I am a well rounded person with interest in more than one field of medicine. And I think it's wise as an FMG to have backups, afterall, I did not want to be without a residency next year.

There is so much I truly love about Ophthalmology. But I don't need to convince a bunch of haters of my excitement for the field. And BTW, only a shallow person would pick a field simply for lifestyle!! I'm thrilled that I get to do something that I really like and I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to practice a field that I am very excited about. The only disdain I have, is the disdain of rumors. Especially rumors from classmates who are jealous. I will do everything in my power not to have to work with mean spirited rumor embracing and cutthroat people like Shalom2U next year in new orleans. Congrats to everyone who worked hard and matched!

Bound4retina,
I don't spread rumors. Everything I said was what I saw/heard myself. I have no hard feelings against anyone, it's just very difficult to have heard the person I am speaking of (probably not you) exclaiming how they are "all about the lifestyle"...in the middle of the Tulane interview luncheon. I wish the best for anyone using an "in" to get into Ophtho, so long as they really want it. Obviously I was mistaken and you are truely interested in ophthalmology. Best of luck in New Orleans.

well it is obvious that people who did not match in ophtho are jealous of the people who did. I can understand that hell I would be jealous too if I had not matched. But board scores or research does not make a good doctor. Obviously if someone got a spot and you didn't the program director decided that they would rather work with that person than you. That is what the interview is all about. Hell I would much rather work with someone who i get along with who got a 215 on their usmle than some jerk who got a 250 anyday. And who cares about research it is the most overrated aspect of an applicant. I had research and I was asked about it once during my 13 interviews. Research does not mean a thing because any med student can get their name put on any paper as long as they helped in some way with the research project. And I think PD's know that their are so many bad research papers out their that are published. People also tend to forget that the interview is 50% of the application process. Some people interview better than others and it is impossible to know whether you have good interview skills or not.
Secondly who cares if someone decided to go into ophtho for lifestyle. If I went to a doctor I would want the most qualified person to treat me I don't care what their motivation was for going into medicine. I think if people examine their motivations for going into any specialty they are mostly all going to be for selfish reasons.

I think if people examine their motivations for going into any specialty they are mostly all going to be for selfish reasons.

if doing what you love is selfish, then you're probably right

DUDE.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!:thumbup:

bound4retina - by no way was I trying to downplay the fact that you matched. In fact, I am in the same boat as you and will be going in the match the upcoming year. So I am glad that you matched and, hopefully, I can too. Be cool if you can PM me some pointers. I just posted what someone had told me about your family - sorry if it came off as demeaning. Congrats!

well it is obvious that people who did not match in ophtho are jealous of the people who did. I can understand that hell I would be jealous too if I had not matched. But board scores or research does not make a good doctor. Obviously if someone got a spot and you didn't the program director decided that they would rather work with that person than you. That is what the interview is all about. Hell I would much rather work with someone who i get along with who got a 215 on their usmle than some jerk who got a 250 anyday. And who cares about research it is the most overrated aspect of an applicant. I had research and I was asked about it once during my 13 interviews. Research does not mean a thing because any med student can get their name put on any paper as long as they helped in some way with the research project. And I think PD's know that their are so many bad research papers out their that are published. People also tend to forget that the interview is 50% of the application process. Some people interview better than others and it is impossible to know whether you have good interview skills or not.
Secondly who cares if someone decided to go into ophtho for lifestyle. If I went to a doctor I would want the most qualified person to treat me I don't care what their motivation was for going into medicine. I think if people examine their motivations for going into any specialty they are mostly all going to be for selfish reasons.

I totally disagree with your views on research. Research shows dedication and, if it is in ophtho, it shows dedication to ophtho. That's a pretty bold statement about research being most overrated. How would you know unless you asked each and every single PD? Just b/c you were never asked doesn't make it insignificant. Maybe your's was bad or just weird or maybe they missed it? And the statment about getting your name put on a paper - it just shows that maybe you are not familiar with exactly how research goes from just being conducted in a lab/clinic to actually getting published. It is time comsuming, painstaking process and it is a challenge for a student to get their name on a quality paper for many many reasons that I will not indulge in this post. If it was so easy, then every student will have a first authored article in Ophthalmology.

--Board Scores: 251/step2- not taken
--Reputation of medical school: middle tear
--Research: 1 non-optho publication, 3 ophtho abstracts, non-ophtho research- onc, neuro
--Honors in clerkships: all except peds and surgery
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 aways
--Where invited for interviews: UMich, Baylor, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wisconsin, CPMC, GW, Georgetown, Tufts, NYU, Albert Einstein, NYMC, Northwestern (20 total invites)
--Where matched: U Mich
--Anything that helped your app: great letters, additional degree, interesting personal statement