2008-2009 Ohio State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities. (600 words)

Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far. (600 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are so quick......
How many who send primary are sent secondary?
How many who submit the secondaries are invited for interviews?

Ohio State LOR Requirement

Reference letters may arrive at any time during the application process, and are required prior to a scheduled interview date. Reference letters may be submitted through an electronic reference letter service or sent to the address provided at the bottom of this message. Reference letters received from electronic reference letter services such as VirtualEval or Interfolio are marked as such. To verify specific letters submitted, contact the reference letter service directly.

Admissions Office
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University
155D Meiling Hall
370 West 9th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210

The minimum number of reference letters required is two from faculty who have taught and graded your course work. Additional letters from individuals who are able to speak to your abilities and unique characteristics are also encouraged. If your school provides a committee letter, we will accept that in lieu of the two academic letters. We accept letters electronically via VirtualEvals and Interfolio as well as U.S. Post.

The average number of reference letters submitted in support of an application is three. It is advised that the number of reference letters be limited to no more than four or five.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how long are people's definition for altruism? How in-depth?

Just curious, how long are people's definition for altruism? How in-depth?

I did mine like the first paragraph of an MCAT writing response.

Anyway,

Secondaries
Myuuchan: Submitted: 6/30, Letters Rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Not much activity on the OSU secondary thread I see...

Heh, I got their secondary invite email literally minutes after receiving the UMich secondary invite email which concluded with "Go Blue!"

Anyway...
Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far. (600 words or less)

How creative are people getting with this essay? I mean honestly, who has any clue where they will be in 14 years, so it seems like this essay will likely be an exercise in speculation anyway.

Not much activity on the OSU secondary thread I see...

Heh, I got their secondary invite email literally minutes after receiving the UMich secondary invite email which concluded with "Go Blue!"

Anyway...
Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far. (600 words or less)

How creative are people getting with this essay? I mean honestly, who has any clue where they will be in 14 years, so it seems like this essay will likely be an exercise in speculation anyway.

I was fairly straightforward with it. Talked about what kind of doctor I see myself as, my family, and where I see myself living. Nothing too exciting.

Is there a way to check if your letters have been received? my status page just lists my application and fee.

It is on the right column of the status page. My OSU application was complete 7/2/08 :).

Yea, it is in the upper right, just look for it there!

It is on the right column of the status page. My OSU application was complete 7/2/08 :).

this is all i see....
Ohio State University College of Medicine

spacer.gif
College of Medicine Supplemental Application for Fall 2009 Status: Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed! Application home... Order ID: OSUPM_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Amount Paid: $60.00
Started: 06:37 AM, June 25, 2008 (PST)
Sent: 10:22 AM, July 10, 2008 (PST)
Confirmed: 03:56 AM, July 11, 2008 (PST)
Institution home page: http://medicine.osu.edu/futurestudents

Members don't see this ad :)
god i hate this altruism essay... is it cheesy to mention something from volunteering even though they know you're just doing it to get into school?

god i hate this altruism essay... is it cheesy to mention something from volunteering even though they know you're just doing it to get into school?

that's what i went with. i was careful though not to go too far saying how altruistic i was in this example.

Did anyone get a "complete" essay from OSU, or is it just when everything is marked "received?"

If there's nothing else you can give them and they've got everything you gave them, then that's good enough for me to mark myself as "complete"

Bump for this question..

I am so glad you asked! They apparently don't send emails with status updates, because I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if they'd sent one saying I had an interview...! :eek:

First one! :eek:

Edit: Maybe it got caught in my spam filter?

I am so glad you asked! They apparently don't send emails with status updates, because I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if they'd sent one saying I had an interview...! :eek:

It just showed up on your status page? When were you complete?

It just showed up on your status page? When were you complete?

If they email about that too, I didn't get it, but I submitted the secondary on 6/30. They should have already had my letters (uploaded to VE 6/18).

Edit: Earlier posters have said that completion date should be listed in the right-hand column, but I see no such date.

Edit: Maybe it got caught in my spam filter?

Woah, I got one too. I was just checking the status because of your post, and I noticed the small line saying "Status: Interview Invite"

First one as well =)

Woah, I got one too. I was just checking the status because of your post, and I noticed the small line saying "Status: Interview Invite"

First one as well =)

Rock on! What day, if you don't mind my asking?:thumbup:

Did you submit your secondaries before July 1st? Was the interview invite 30 days after they sent you the secondary?

If not, I think I might have been silently rejected.:scared:
I submitted 6/30 and received an interview sometime between then and 8/1. I was waiting for an email! Silly me.:eek:

Don't worry! There's plenty of interview season left!

Mine's scheduled for 9/22.

I submitted around a week ago.. :/

Damn... I take this as a very ominous sign.

It's not necessary bad yet... It seems like those who have gotten interviews all have high GPA's and really high MCAT scores... It makes total sense that they would start with those people since in all likelihood they will get many other interviews so the schools try to get them in quick and hook them.

That being said, I don't think we should take it as a rejection quite yet... Keep the faith!

That being said, I don't think we should take it as a rejection quite yet... Keep the faith!

Agreed. It is far too early to be waiting for the hammer to fall! I will give you permission to start worrying if no one's looked at you at all by February or March, though.:laugh::luck:

Good luck, everyone!

My friends last year did not get any love either from Ohio State. It seems that unless the applicant is arriving via the Early Decision Program, the COM doesn't really want a Buckeyes. They also had MCAT's in the >90th percentile and 3.8+...

I bet in a week from now I will have an interview. Or I angered Dr. Batisky when we had dinner... :p He did playfully say he would toss my application in the trash when it arrived... :p

Well, I'm not EDP and I certainly don't have a 3.8.:laugh: You had dinner with the dean? How nice!

You're not a buckeye either, I bet.
Nope, not a Buckeye. Just a Patriot/ex-Hokie!

Dinner was fun. I am pretty certain that I was placed at his table because my parents did not come to the Phi Beta Kappa initiation. I didn't realize who he was until I saw his name on the bottom of the e-letter from OSU's status page.

Yeah... that seems to happen to me a lot... Phi Beta Kappa's pretty cool, though!

Just got the status change email - Interview for 9/22.

So is the general consensus that they do in fact send you an email for the interview invite, or is it our responsibility to check the status page?

So, where on the status page are you guys seeing the interview invite? Page shot anyone? :D

So, where on the status page are you guys seeing the interview invite? Page shot anyone? :D

It's probably on the bottom left side of the status portal. Around where it says secondary received. I do not know for certain, and I am a little bitter because of it.

Yeah that's what I figured, but I was hoping that I was just blind...

Congrats everyone! Did anyone's status change to a "Application complete" or "Under Review" before the interview notice? Mine still says Your current status is: AMCAS Application Received.

anyone in-state get an interview invite yet?

I think a kid from Athens, OH was invited.

I think Ohio State is giving automatic invites to anyone with a 14 in a section.

I think a kid from Athens, OH was invited.

I think Ohio State is giving automatic invites to anyone with a 14 in a section.

I haven't gotten one yet... :) Although my GPA is rather low...

we'll say 3.7+ cum and >=14 in a section

Myuuchan doesn't fit either of those criteria ;) My guess is they're going over applications and inviting strong applicants.

Myuuchan doesn't fit either of those criteria ;) My guess is they're going over applications and inviting strong applicants.

There are some extenuating circumstances that go along with that... though I'm not sure if they really count.

a) I spent two years in computer engineering and transferred out with a 3.0 (2.9?!)
b) Computer Engineering credits don't transfer too well to bio, so there's another four years of undergrad
c) The good news is that those four years have been 3.8ish
d) profit?
e) 173 credits :scared:

Working on getting a screencap of that invite status indicator on the secondary... please hold (you do get an email, btw--it's just slow)

screencap

Last edited:
There are some extenuating circumstances that go along with that... though I'm not sure if they really count.

a) I spent two years in computer engineering and transferred out with a 3.0 (2.9?!)
b) Computer Engineering credits don't transfer too well to bio, so there's another four years of undergrad
c) The good news is that those four years have been 3.8ish
d) profit?
e) 173 credits :scared:

Working on getting a screencap of that invite status indicator on the secondary... please hold (you do get an email, btw--it's just slow)

screencap

Thanks for the screencap! I wasn't sure if it was going to be a new entry, or in a different place...now I can zero in.

Geez, it really is true...on SDN ask and ye shall receive...lol!

so after reading this last couple of posts, I went and checked my status page. My status says "AMCAS application received" and I have not received an email, but then at the bottom of the screen it has an interview date and a place to confirm it. hmm. . . any ideas?

so after reading this last couple of posts, I went and checked my status page. My status says "AMCAS application received" and I have not received an email, but then at the bottom of the screen it has an interview date and a place to confirm it. hmm. . . any ideas?

Ideas? It sounds like an interview to me, buddy ;) Congrats!

I wonder why they make their interview invites so inconspicuous. Why no email? I compulsively check their status page three times a day. So pathetic. C'mmmmoooonnn Ohio state.

I wonder why they make their interview invites so inconspicuous. Why no email? I compulsively check their status page three times a day. So pathetic. C'mmmmoooonnn Ohio state.

They do email to tell you your status has changed. It's just a couple of days delayed.:thumbup:

Did anyone else get that bizarre email from OSU today? What the heck was that?!

Yeah I just got it, too.

Haha computer glitch?

Haha...Yeah, just another way to mess with our fragile minds.

Thanks for giving me an invite boner OSU. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.