2008-2009 Ohio State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good to know they are accepting the deferred people prior to may.
Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

I would imagine that come March we will see alot of activity as the Ivy and some other schools announce their acceptances and those holding multiple acceptances start deciding...

Members don't see this ad.

IS this Deferred that everyone had just for the Dental or Medical school at OSU ? Or regular Undergrad...because I was deferred from the regular application , just undergrad..not dental or medical

What is this Secondary application...Do I have a decent chance of getting in to OSU

IS this Deferred that everyone had just for the Dental or Medical school at OSU ? Or regular Undergrad...because I was deferred from the regular application , just undergrad..not dental or medical

What is this Secondary application...Do I have a decent chance of getting in to OSU

:eyebrow:

Members don't see this ad :)

I assume google somehow led you here. This is the thread for the secondary application for medical school at Ohio State. It has nothing to do with the dental school much less undergrad. Good luck to you though.

they say u find out the decision 10 days after your interview. How accurate are they with this? has anyone heard back earlier/later than the 10 buss days?

my online status changed exactly 10 business days post interview and I got the accept letter in the mail three days after that...hope that helps!

my online status changed exactly 10 business days post interview and I got the accept letter in the mail three days after that...hope that helps!

awesome, congrats. I guess ill have to wait till Mon then haha.

Does anyone know where to find Ohio St. performance on the Step 1? I've looked through the website, I've googled it, I've looked through the interview materials, and I guess I'm an idiot, because I can't find average score or pass rate.

Does anyone know where to find Ohio St. performance on the Step 1? I've looked through the website, I've googled it, I've looked through the interview materials, and I guess I'm an idiot, because I can't find average score or pass rate.

Schools tend not to publish those numbers. The current students may know it, but I doubt you'll find the average score on their website. The pass rate may be there, but that is high for all schools.

Does anyone know if the admissions office accepts calls from your references as extra support for your application? I want off the deferred list... one way or the other.

Does anyone know if the admissions office accepts calls from your references as extra support for your application? I want off the deferred list... one way or the other.

I don't think so. The admissions office staff does not really take part in decisions on who gets reviewed/interviewed/brought off the waitlist. A phone call would be awkward because your reference would be talking to the staff in the admissions office-- not someone wo sits on the actual ADCOM. So the only thing the staff would be able to do is write a note saying they recieved a phone call from the reference...that may seem like you're pestering them. At the same time I wouldn't have them send an additional letter either because the adcom probably has enough information on you already to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone seen an academic calendar for OSU? I can't find one anywhere online.

Also, anyone know when financial aid packages come out?

I talked to financial aid last week and they said that aid letters will come via e-mail sometime next week.

Has anyone seen an academic calendar for OSU? I can't find one anywhere online.

I found one by Googling "registrar Ohio state", but the med school calendar doesn't really coincide with the undergrad/grad calendar according to the med school registrar. You can call them (the number is on the OSU COM site) and ask, they were really nice about helping me out.

I found one by Googling "registrar Ohio state", but the med school calendar doesn't really coincide with the undergrad/grad calendar according to the med school registrar. You can call them (the number is on the OSU COM site) and ask, they were really nice about helping me out.
The admission's office email today said that they don't have dates for breaks and things yet (which I think are different from the rest of the university). The only firm dates they had were orientation August 10-13 and first day of anatomy August 17. The rest will be available mid May.

anyone have details on second look day...time it begins/ attire etc.?

hey, I just checked sfa.osu.edu and found that the financial aid information (scholarships etc.) had been updated on my account. Just thought that some of you might want to check that out.

I'm really confused because my fin aid doesn't list any Stafford loans...and I received Stafford loans from another school that I am accepted at....

hey, I just checked sfa.osu.edu and found that the financial aid information (scholarships etc.) had been updated on my account. Just thought that some of you might want to check that out.
Do you have any loans listed? I just called OSU and they told me that they haven't yet done any financial aid for the medical school and will probably have it available in May. :confused:

do you have to activate a new account in order to access the financial aid info?

do you have to activate a new account in order to access the financial aid info?

What do you mean by activate a new account? You just log in using your student ID and the password you were given (or whatever password you chose if you changed it). These are the instructions from the email I got:

The Office of Student Financial Aid at The Ohio State University is pleased to notify you that you have been awarded financial aid for the 2009-2010 academic year. Using your OSU Internet Username and Password, log in to the Student Self Service Center at http://buckeyelink.osu.edu to view your awards. Under "Finances", click on "Financial Aid Status" and then on "Terms after and including Summer 2009". Once in self service, select the award year 2010, and then click the Award Summary tab.

hmmmm...

i did get the email that you're referring to, but i never got an email with an OSU student ID/password. guess i'll email them about it.

Congrats to those of you accepted! To those of you on the waitlist: after seeing the fin. aid package, I'll be withdrawing this week. Hopefully, someone from the waitlist gets my spot.

I was already favoring Southwestern in Dallas. But today, when I saw the financial aid I needed for SW was half the nearly $70k I would need for OSU, it seemed like a no-brainer. I really loved OSU, and I wish everyone the best there. Good Luck!

MedYep,

I have loans listed under the award summary tab. It has both sub and unsub stafford loans. Also, the sum of those don't add up to my budget so there is a link for GraduatePlus loans. Somehow loan and Plus doesn't sound compatible, but I haven't looked at them yet.

MedYep,

I have loans listed under the award summary tab. It has both sub and unsub stafford loans. Also, the sum of those don't add up to my budget so there is a link for GraduatePlus loans. Somehow loan and Plus doesn't sound compatible, but I haven't looked at them yet.
Thanks. I still don't have any loans listed but I contacted OSU again and they said I should have updated award information by Friday. A little strange that they didn't send out complete awards to everyone.

yeah, that is strange. I figured something like this would have been universal. I hope I didn't unduly stress you out with my non-official information. Here's to wishing you the biggest aid/merit package possible on friday then!

Any deferred applicants hear anything in a while? I wish they would have called it a waitlist (or a rejection, which is what it probably is) way back in October instead of using confusing proprietary language. It just instills hope where there should be none.

hmmmm...

i did get the email that you're referring to, but i never got an email with an OSU student ID/password. guess i'll email them about it.

I got this email a long time ago. It appears to be a separate university account different from the one you use for your status page. The email was from
cleardot.gif
Graduate and Professional Admissions Office <[email protected]>

Any deferred applicants hear anything in a while? I wish they would have called it a waitlist (or a rejection, which is what it probably is) way back in October instead of using confusing proprietary language. It just instills hope where there should be none.

I was accepted in February after being deferred October 16. I guess they're moving through that group as people get accepted at other schools. From what I've gathered they don't do much in the way of telling you your spot on the wait list though I suppose you can always check with admissions. Good luck! I'm sure there will be movement now as financial aid packages come out and people pick the sweetest offer and again of course after May 15.

From what I've gathered they don't do much in the way of telling you your spot on the wait list though I suppose you can always check with admissions.

I have been deferred since Feb. 10. When I last emailed the admissions office, this is the response I got:

"Well, first of all, we really don't have a wait list. No one is placed in any order. All files get re-reveiwed before they accept someone from the deferred list. At this point there has been no movement. Some people from the accept list may drop off on May 15th when they can no longer hold multiple accepts. Then of course, last year we took someone from the deferred list on the first day of orientation! So you never know but you still have several months of waiting. Good luck!"

So, unfortunately there is no way of telling how good your chances are of getting accepted off of the deferred list. :(

Just a little FYI. I checked with the fin aid office and if you're holding multiple acceptances right now you don't have to accept the financial aid offer yet. June 1 is the deadline for accepting.

Withdrew today. Loved it on interview day it just didn't work out in the end, mostly financially. Good luck to the accepted and the wait listers.

so does ohio state rank their deferred list at all?

Does anyone know if there has been any movement at Ohio State yet or if they still have a full class?

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully that will get the waitlist moving. It was a tough decision for me. I agonized for a whole week about it, but financially it makes more sense to go elsewhere. Good luck to whoever gets my spot. I thought OSU was an awesome school. I'm OOS btw.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance shortly.

So I called today and they said that the class was still overbooked by more than 10 people. Not sure how much it will move this year....

This thread seems so dead....but if anyone is still reading and would like to know...the waitlist started to move today!

Good luck to everyone!

From admissions:

pulled 2 people a couple days ago, about 150 people left with deferred status. WL movement will be "hit or miss" until class starts.

random question, but i can't remember what grading is like at OSU for the first two years-- anyone know?

Pass/Fail. Honors given to top some percent and then 'letter of commendation' given to the next batch after that. So it's more like Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. First two years go down as a single grade on your transcript I believe.

Just got a phone call from the admissions office accepting me from the waitlist!

Congrats! It sounds like you're one of the few lucky ones to see movement.

Less than two months til orientation!

Status
Not open for further replies.