** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea. I said PDF and I was thinking of LMU-DCOM. That was my bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty darn white. The picture was stolen from a German news article on spiegel.de

Ashkenazi Jew/Russian/German doesn't leave much chocolate in the equation. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys send your letters of recommendation to LECOM? My school uses Virtual Eval and sends it electronically to each school. How would each school know which letters to use and how would i send the waiver form for LECOM?

How did you guys send your letters of recommendation to LECOM? My school uses Virtual Eval and sends it electronically to each school. How would each school know which letters to use and how would i send the waiver form for LECOM?

1. Via VE, just like you will
2. They know which letters b/c they use all of the ones your UG school sends them. Don't want a particular letter included for a particular school? You better tell your UG!
3. You don't need to use a waiver form. If you need to send them something not in your packet, you can snail mail it.

Ugh. One essay left: Why LECOM? Will be submitting all 6 secondaries on Tuesday and have letters sent the following Monday. Then its just time to wait.

hey now at least you will be waiting on interview requests rather than waiting on secondaries to even get to you like ME....I am going crazy over here on my 5th week since completion waiting for aacomas to release my app :eek: good luck to everyone who has submitted secondaries, I wish I was in your shoes right now, and thanks so much for posting the prompts :)

complete at kcom since monday and unecom since sometimes last week... let the waiting begin:D

did anyone get this message when trying to submit their LECOM-Erie secondary?

"There was a problem with the submission of your application. An e-mail will be sent with a troubleshooting suggestion. If that does not help, please contact the LECOM Information Systems Department at 814-866-8139. Thank you."

I did what they suggested in the email, but I get the same message!

Is there a common time frame between being complete and a decision on interview/reject; i.e. 2 weeks or something?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a common time frame between being complete and a decision on interview/reject; i.e. 2 weeks or something?!

This seems very difficult to generalize. It's based on the stage of the admissions season, how competitive you are, and which school we're talking about. That being said, I think a month might be a decent average to expect. Anyone know differently?

This seems very difficult to generalize. It's based on the stage of the admissions season, how competitive you are, and which school we're talking about. That being said, I think a month might be a decent average to expect. Anyone know differently?

Assumed as much but wanted to hear it from you haha.

PMing you about something else also. Thanks for help Cbear.

I'm doing the CCOM supplementary. How does one upload the CV? I click browse, select file, open...and then. er. there isn't an upload button or something anywhere. I tried firefox and internet explorer so I don't think i'm missing something.. but... HELP please!:eek:

Hi guys, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has heard from KCUMB? Sorry if it's been discussed already, I looked but didn't see anything. Just wondering if they haven't sent secondaries out or if I should email them...

Hi guys, I'm new here and was wondering if anyone has heard from KCUMB? Sorry if it's been discussed already, I looked but didn't see anything. Just wondering if they haven't sent secondaries out or if I should email them...

I applied and was released 7/23 and haven't heard a thing from them but I'm sure there are people on here that released earlier than myself.

Come on Western! I need to feel your love!!!

:love:

I applied and was released 7/23 and haven't heard a thing from them but I'm sure there are people on here that released earlier than myself.

Thanks. Yeah, I was released 7/16, and they're the only one I haven't heard back from yet. I had some problems with getting another school's secondary and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the email.

Someone on the KCUMB thread said they called admissions and were told they haven't sent out secondaries yet.

when applying to both PCOM and PCOM-GA, we send all copies of our application/essays/LORs to the same philly address, right? and what about the app fee - is it $50 or $100?
thanks!!

when applying to both PCOM and PCOM-GA, we send all copies of our application/essays/LORs to the same philly address, right? and what about the app fee - is it $50 or $100?
thanks!!

Two separate checks for $50 each. And yes, all to the same philly address, but a separate copy for both campuses.

What's going on with NYCOM?? Anyone get anything yet?

I thought it was just me, but NYCOM is the only DO school that I have heard nothing from.
These secondaries take a lot of time, how do you tell the mediocre schools that you are dying to attend their mediocre program?
:bang:

how long does it take to get verified??? I'm talking about my primary app

I did not find any info on the prev. threads. I started getting secondaries for AMCAS the min. I submitted. So, I am wondering if I need to be verified before I get AACOMAS verified?
Thanks!

I did not find any info on the prev. threads. I started getting secondaries for AMCAS the min. I submitted. So, I am wondering if I need to be verified before I get AACOMAS verified?
Thanks!

i dont really understand your last question, ut to answer the question in the thread title, i have not heard of any DO schools automatically sending secondaries b4 verification. i could be wrong tho.

i dont really understand your last question, ut to answer the question in the thread title, i have not heard of any DO schools automatically sending secondaries b4 verification. i could be wrong tho.

:p
oops, I meant secondaries b4 verification. Sorry!

for some schools, when I called, they said I had to just go directly to their website after I submitted aacomas.....the two schools I did this for were PCOM and NOVA...you could go directly to their website and set up an account to fill them out.

I filled them out a few days after I submitted and I wasn't even verified yet

It takes 4-6 weeks :thumbdown:

seriously?? that is a bummer. Ok I'm assuming there must be secondary questions posted on here, so would it make sense if I started working on my schools secondaries in the meantime and submit those suckers as soon as i get verified??? or am I missing something here?

Ok I'm assuming there must be secondary questions posted on here, so would it make sense if I started working on my schools secondaries in the meantime and submit those suckers as soon as i get verified??? ?

Makes perfect sense. Once those secondaries start filling up your mailbox you're gonna be happy to have them filled out.;)

for some schools, when I called, they said I had to just go directly to their website after I submitted aacomas.....the two schools I did this for were PCOM and NOVA...you could go directly to their website and set up an account to fill them out.

I filled them out a few days after I submitted and I wasn't even verified yet

Supplemental Applications
PCOM and GA Campus - PCOM supplemental applications are sent to all applicants upon receipt of the completed AACOMAS application. There is a $50 application fee required when you submit each supplemental application

Thats from the website. Where were you able to fill out information online ahead of time?

Thats from the website. Where were you able to fill out information online ahead of time?

When I called, they said that as long as I was above the cutoffs, that I would be receiving a secondary so I could fill it out whenever I was ready

For PCOM all I had to do was to download the secondary
For NOVA I had to create an account and then fill it out.

I'm assuming there must be secondary questions posted on here

ATSU-KCOM
--What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

ATSU-SOMA
--What aspects of the Osteopathic Philosophy had the greatest influence in your decision to seek a career in Osteopathic Medicine? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What is your motivation for participating in the activities you have described in the clinical, volunteer and community service section? How have these experiences changed you? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--How does your character, qualities, and experiences distinguish your ability and resolve to serve in underprivileged communities? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

AZCOM
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

CCOM
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50[/COLOR]

LECOM (both)
--Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician
--Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine?

MSUCOM
Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?[/COLOR]

NSU-COM
Just general questions:
past employment, health-care related activities (list), school and other activities, which DO and MD schools you're applying to, and if you've ever matriculated into an MD or DO program.

PCOM
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/PA_Supp_App.pdf

PCOM-GA
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/GA_Supp_App.pdf

PCSOM (Pikeville)
Attach a separate sheet stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

RVUCOM
--D.O. letter required
--No character limits stated
--If you have already graduated, please describe your work experience and community service activities since you were last enrolled in school. Feel free to attach resume.
--Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If yes, list employment.
--Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
--Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
--What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to the College and to the Osteopathic Profession?

TOUROCOM-NY
On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your "shadowing" experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission. (no more than 2 pages)

TUCOM (CA)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/25/TUCAsupapp.htm

TUNCOM (NV)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/55/Osteopathic_Medicine_Supplemental_Application.pdf

UMDNJ
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/documents/secondaryappl2008-09.pdf

***Western's has not been released for this year***

Western U/COMP
Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine.
Describe the qualities that you possess that will make you a good osteopathic physician.
What criteria did you take into consideration in applying to WesternU/COMP?
Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.

Thanks!

I did not get any DO secondaries prior to AACOMAS verification. After verification came KCOM, MSUCOM, NSUCOM, etc etc.

Also, should I have received an email that my transcript was received or am I just notified when my app is verified?

Hey man, I'm an RA as well, I'd avoid listing this as clinical experience. It's a pretty big stretch. Think about it this way..it would be MUCH more beneficial listing this (or "talking about it") as a leadership role. clinical experience as an RA is a stretch because even though responding to emergencies, some of which may involve medical emergencies is part of the job description, its not the main role you play. you should talk about stuff like helping residents with academic / personal issues, programs, etc.

I decided a couple weeks ago that if I were questioning the validity so would a reader... I stuck with using it how you had suggested. Thanks for the input :D

So I was just verified yesterday by AACOMAS. I have been filling out secondaries online over the past month. For those I have done but have not received emails for yet from the schools, should I go ahead and submit these secondaries anyways?

How are you guys sending LORE to AZCOM? Interfolio doesnt have their info, but has a bunch of other DO schools.

How are you guys sending LORE to AZCOM? Interfolio doesnt have their info, but has a bunch of other DO schools.

You enter it in by hand. It says where to mail the stuff usually. If all else fails, then the admissions office is a safe bet.

Phew, I just read all the posts in this thread.

I submitted my primary to AACOMAS on 6/25, and my application was released to 10 DO schools on 8/6.

On 8/7, I received an email from LECOM, with a link to the secondary.
Just now (about 2 min ago), I received an email from VCOM saying that they received my primary app, and will follow up in about a week after they review my credentials.

What really sucks is that I'm leaving for 2 weeks (tomorrow) for some training I have to do for the military, and won't have much time to work on the LECOM essays :( I'd rather get them done asap.

Two questions:

(1) I submitted KCOM's secondary and then went to review my application and saw that the formatting was all messed up on the essays. It was one giant paragraph instead of four. Did I do something wrong or is it just the way all the essays come through?

(2) Any special instructions for LECOM-B's essay? I'm trying to make sure the formatting doesn't get screwed up.

I'd appreciate any help/advice!

Got KCUMB's secondary application today!

Two questions:

(1) I submitted KCOM's secondary and then went to review my application and saw that the formatting was all messed up on the essays. It was one giant paragraph instead of four. Did I do something wrong or is it just the way all the essays come through?

(2) Any special instructions for LECOM-B's essay? I'm trying to make sure the formatting doesn't get screwed up.

I'm wondering about LECOMs also. Does anyone know?

Two questions:

I'm about to send my KCOM secondary. How do you keep it formatted then?