** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread! **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Research: comments/list publications

Teaching: comments

1. Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. (1 page)

2. Describe your participation in community service activities, include any work in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community. (1 page)

Members don't see this ad.

Research: comments/list publications

Teaching: comments

1. Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. (1 page)

2. Describe your participation in community service activities, include any work in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community. (1 page)

So did you receive this today? Did you get an interview with it, as has been speculated?

Members don't see this ad :)
ill join the Western groupies...... SPILL THE BEANS RonicaJay!!!!

Haha! Sorry guys, I've been diligently working on this secondary :D

No interview to report yet, but from what I've read it's still possible to receive an invite before you submit the secondary...otherwise, I guess I'm not good enough for the auto-invite.

Haha! Sorry guys, I've been diligently working on this secondary :D

No interview to report yet, but from what I've read it's still possible to receive an invite before you submit the secondary...otherwise, I guess I'm not good enough for the auto-invite.

you are good enough to get a secondary tho, which is special in itself. they screen pretty thoroughly. Congrats!

I hope i get a secondary soon! western is one of my top choices. :thumbup:

you are good enough to get a secondary tho, which is special in itself. they screen pretty thoroughly. Congrats!

I hope i get a secondary soon! western is one of my top choices. :thumbup:

I have essentially written these essays already, perhaps a quick turnaround will result in positive reinforcement ala interview invitation? This is pretty much my first choice (pre-visit, etc). Really excited!

Good luck to you guys, I'm sure your secondaries will arrive shortly!

:love:Western:love:

I have essentially written these essays already, perhaps a quick turnaround will result in positive reinforcement ala interview invitation? This is pretty much my first choice (pre-visit, etc). Really excited!

Good luck to you guys, I'm sure your secondaries will arrive shortly!

:love:Western:love:

Congrats on the secondary! Western is my top choice as well...hope I get the invite or secondary soon. Goodluck fellow western groupies.

one more time..can anyone share KCUMB? I know its out there!

Why does it say "MD" next to your DO schools on your Apps page?

**Edit: Nevermind. I see it on other people's too. Weird.

Yeah looks like they're crapping around with MDapps.

About time too that you should be able to identify schools as either MD/DO.

Alright... quick question regarding secondaries.

Should I address the following in my secondaries (I haven't in my primary)? I took gen chem I twice (1st C+, 2nd B+), withdrew from gen chem II and got a C+ second time around, took o chem I for a B+ and o chem II for a C+. All labs taken were for a B or greater. There's a pretty distinct trend: I suck at chemistry. If I should address it, how should I go about it?

I only have these bad grades and a B- in Immunology; otherwise, everything is B+ or better. 3.33 Science, 3.84 Non-science Biology major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright... quick question regarding secondaries.

Should I address the following in my secondaries (I haven't in my primary)? I took gen chem I twice (1st C+, 2nd B+), withdrew from gen chem II and got a C+ second time around, took o chem I for a B+ and o chem II for a C+. All labs taken were for a B or greater. There's a pretty distinct trend: I suck at chemistry. If I should address it, how should I go about it?

I only have these bad grades and a B- in Immunology; otherwise, everything is B+ or better. 3.33 Science, 3.84 Non-science Biology major.

I say don't worry about it. Your GPAs aren't really raising any flags (esp. the non sci), so if they look that closely, they'll ask about them. I know some schools have a file review session that will force you to address these. Otherwise, talk about becoming a great physician in your secondaries, not how you suck at chemistry. :thumbup:

I say don't worry about it. Your GPAs aren't really raising any flags (esp. the non sci), so if they look that closely, they'll ask about them. I know some schools have a file review session that will force you to address these. Otherwise, talk about becoming a great physician in your secondaries, not how you suck at chemistry. :thumbup:

Couldn't agree more! You've only got so much space to sell yourself and impress the adcoms. You want to bring their attention to your strengths not your weaknesses.

Could someone post the UNECOM secondary questions? I see a few people have already received them. I thought I perused this entire thread, if its already posted could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you

Also, I take it PNWU has not sent out any secondaries yet?

Last edited:
I know many people change their mind, but right now it is really what I want to do. should i mention this or leave it out?

If there is a section that asks then have at it. I try to stay away from the speciality stuff otherwise. Far too many variables to really know. I've been surrounded by medicine my entire life and I know less and less every day...its going to really be crazy once I'm exposed to it all.

no specific section, just the basic why osteopathic medicine and why pcom-ga. I really do want to practice primary care (in inner city, not so much rural) but I kind of feel like a tool using that excuse since so many people make that stuff up for their reason. thanks for the advice.

I'm writing my secondary now and have decided this is the only school i am applying to. the secondary asks why pcom. i have many good reasons to write about but should i say this is my top and only choice?

I'm writing my secondary now and have decided this is the only school i am applying to. the secondary asks why pcom. i have many good reasons to write about but should i say this is my top and only choice?

That's a tough one. I immediately thought you should say just that, but I can see the counter argument of "Well, why didn't you apply anywhere else, if you really want to go to med school?"

So I'm torn. Why aren't you applying anywhere else, BTW?

well, my answer to that would be that I would apply for the biomedical science program there and more than likely would get in the following year. It is worth an extra year for me to go to that school. maybe i'll just say it is my top choice, not only choice???

well, my answer to that would be that I would apply for the biomedical science program there and more than likely would get in the following year. It is worth an extra year for me to go to that school. maybe i'll just say it is my top choice, not only choice???

"Top choice" sounds better.

I think speciality is kind of a weak reason to put down for a school. You can say your interests and use that as a reason but don't isolate out one particular speciality. Part of the problem is a lot of people are or say they are interested in that kind of stuff. I had one adcom person tell me that unless you were raised in the specific area, they tend to take it with a grain of salt. So, just try not to go TOO heavy into it. With atlanta, I talked about the diversity, large medical community, and other things like that. It was almost word for word like the philly one but I threw in some personal things as well since it is only about 5 hours from my house.

Are you supposed to send secondaries on formal paper like you would for a cover letter or resume or just plain printer paper? I'm not talking about anything crazy, just a little thicker or something.

Are you supposed to send secondaries on formal paper like you would for a cover letter or resume or just plain printer paper? I'm not talking about anything crazy, just a little thicker or something.

Go with a custom made scroll with a court jester to deliver :thumbup:

Pink scented stationary. It worked for Elle Woods.

I think I'll do that! No, seriously, I know some people probably think I'm crazy for asking the question but I would never send a resume on regular paper. I just didn't know if the same rules applied.

ATSU-KCOM
--What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

ATSU-SOMA
--What aspects of the Osteopathic Philosophy had the greatest influence in your decision to seek a career in Osteopathic Medicine? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--What is your motivation for participating in the activities you have described in the clinical, volunteer and community service section? How have these experiences changed you? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)
--How does your character, qualities, and experiences distinguish your ability and resolve to serve in underprivileged communities? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less)

AZCOM
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

CCOM
1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician
(list name, relationship, osteo college attended, year of graduation)

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1,500 characters)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1,500 characters)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:

* Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
* Employment History
* Medically related work and volunteer experiences
* College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
* Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Application fee: $50

LECOM (both)
--Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician
--Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine?

MSUCOM
Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

NSU-COM
Just general questions:
past employment, health-care related activities (list), school and other activities, which DO and MD schools you're applying to, and if you've ever matriculated into an MD or DO program.

PCOM
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/PA_Supp_App.pdf

PCOM-GA
http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/GA_Supp_App.pdf

PCSOM (Pikeville)
Attach a separate sheet stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care, rural osteopathic physician.

RVUCOM
--D.O. letter required
--No character limits stated
--If you have already graduated, please describe your work experience and community service activities since you were last enrolled in school. Feel free to attach resume.
--Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school? If yes, list employment.
--Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician?
--Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
--What unique characteristics, abilities or skills will you bring to the College and to the Osteopathic Profession?

TOUROCOM-NY
On a separate sheet of paper, type an essay discussing your aims in seeking admission to the College of Osteopathic Medicine. Include such items as your personal and academic background, your career goals, experiences which nurtured your interest in the health field and in the Osteopathic profession specifically, your “shadowing” experience, and any other factors which you feel are relevant to admission. (no more than 2 pages)

TUCOM (CA)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/25/TUCAsupapp.htm

TUNCOM (NV)
http://www.tu.edu/user_files/55/Osteopathic_Medicine_Supplemental_Application.pdf

UMDNJ
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/admissions/documents/secondaryappl2008-09.pdf

Western U/COMP
--2.5" x 3" photo (optional)
--Describe your motivation for training as an osteopathic physician. Comment specifically on your
academic performance and potential for study in Osteopathic Medicine. (1 page)
-- Describe your participation in community service activities, include any work in a medically
underserved or economically disadvantaged community. (1 page)

Application fee: $65

Last edited:
i was looking over TCOM's website trying to see whether they require a letter from a DO or not and couldnt seem to find this information. Does anyone know, maybe someone who has applied in previous cycles?

to have secondaries submitted without it, hurting you too bad, given you have above average stats... I was thinking Mid-October, beginning of Nov.

to have secondaries submitted without it, hurting you too bad, given you have above average stats... I was thinking Mid-October, beginning of Nov.

Sooner the better!

Hello,

I'm a first-time applicant. I submitted my primary application early July. I haven't received secondary apps. My GPA is way above their requirement. Since I heard there are people who already invited for interview n stuff, I'm freaking out a little bit. Among those who submitted primary early July, is there anyone who hasn't received their primary apps? Should I worry?

Hello,

I'm a first-time applicant. I submitted my primary application early July. I haven't received secondary apps. My GPA is way above their requirement. Since I heard there are people who already invited for interview n stuff, I'm freaking out a little bit. Among those who submitted primary early July, is there anyone who hasn't received their primary apps? Should I worry?

Don't worry. You should hear back in the next two weeks or so. Check this out and write all your secondary essays so you can have a quick turnaround. :thumbup:

Hello everyone,
I am filling out the secondaries applicaiton for umdnj.... and i m having a serious mental block. I have no idea what to write and i have been staring at the screen for a week now....i was wondering if any of you guys had access to any websites that could have some helpful tips on how to start my secondaries? anything would help becuz i want to have my materials in asap....thanks!

does anyone know how PCOM wants us to send in our LORs? Should we just have the DO and Committee Letter sent via snail mail with no other forms attached?

Thanks! :oops:

does anyone know how PCOM wants us to send in our LORs? Should we just have the DO and Committee Letter sent via snail mail with no other forms attached?

Thanks! :oops:

However you need to get them there is fine. You don't need an additional form--just make sure they know how to match it to your file (i.e. include some sort of id number).

Is there a definite answer of which schools screen before they send out secondaries? If so, does anyone know the cut offs, specifically MCAT scores? I tried looking at all the school's websites, but found no specific information. Thank you!

check out
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/2009_CIB_web.pdf

each school is listed and it'll say if they screen or if all applicants get a secondary.
I believe that for WVU and Touro-NY, secondary = interview
and for DMU and Western there are some fast tracks where interview invites can be handed out with the secondary...
but I'm not sure what the stats are for either scenario...

one more time..can anyone share KCUMB? I know its out there!
Based on the email I got, last KCUMB class has average GPA 3.7, MCAT 8.8,
3.7 is very high, how do you guys think of this?

Attachments

• KCUMB_Supplemental_Application-1.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,030

I think that is deceiving. Since its an average, you could have someone that had a 3.1 but had a 34+ and then someone that had a 3.8 or 3.9 with a 22. I used to think that was rare till I started talking to people...now I"m not so sure.

thanks! :D

Its one of the more competitive schools. that GPA seems pretty high though...

So.... they're exactly the same. Same questions, same essays, submitted through the exact same web portal.

I'm sure a lot of you already know that, but here's my question. Do the people at one school have access to my application at the other? I've written basically the same thing for both secondaries and I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem. It worries me that I submit them to the same place....

Thank you so much.

I'm not sure if they have access to eachother - but you definitely won't be alone in this method (myself included).

The only thing that I CAN offer is that when I checked my online status today AZCOM confirmed they had received my LOR's while CCOM said they are still waiting on them. I prompted Interfolio to mail both sets on the same day, probably less than 2 minutes apart. Whether or not Interfolio sent them at the same time - who knows....but this made me think that the application process at each school might be separate.

I'm writing my "Why DO" essays for my secondaries, and I can't help but use the word "osteopathic" (ie osteopathic medicine, osteopathic doctor) 2-3 times per paragraph. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, is it improper to just say D.O. and M.D. in the essays???

I'm writing my "Why DO" essays for my secondaries, and I can't help but use the word "osteopathic" (ie osteopathic medicine, osteopathic doctor) 2-3 times per paragraph. Does anyone else have this problem? Also, is it improper to just say D.O. and M.D. in the essays???

2-3 times a paragraph seems a little overboard. You can say it one or tow times in the essay and they get the picture. They know the question you are answering, they will have it in front of them. If you feel that you have to keep some/most of them, I'd get rid of the "ostoepathic doctor" .... something about it just sounds weird. You can just say "doctor." Thats just my opinon though. Its also kind of hard to to comment w/o the actual essay. i can read and give you feedback if you want, not that my opinion is the holy word or anything, but if you want some extra feedback that you may or may not use, just PM me.

p.s. i just looked at my "why DO" essay for Western. It about a page long, single spaced, and is 4,400 characters w/ spaces...i used the word osteopathic 3 times.

edit: I used DO in my essays on numerous occasions, i never really though twice about it being improper... thats the initials of the degree, so why wouldnt you be able to use it?

Last edited:
I had this problem too! I filled out five different secondaries and ended up using D.O. in just one of them. I tried not to, but it just seemed right in that one, so I didn't feel bad or question using it. Other than that, I just said physician a few times instead of osteopathic physician, ect. I don't know if D.O. is okay or not, that is why I just used it once ( I swear I feel there was no other way around it!). The wording can get a bit difficult, just let it sit for a day and then read it again. That helps you determine if it sounds so bad or not. Good luck!