*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! ;)
I will email adms. and bring it up to their attention.

Members don't see this ad.

wow... u guys r really early.. hmm but if u already submitted ur secondary app, how do u know that columbia will definitely send u an invitation to submit secondaries?

Columbia and JHU don't screen secondaries (they just take your money)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for organizing this Shemarty!

Huh!? People are already getting secondaries... whaat

I keep losing this thread, can a mod sticky it or put a link in the thread of links?

First, thanks for this trend
Second, I hope gets stickied too

Finally, I have a personal question. When Columbia says they want a copy of your transcript and MCAT scores, does it mean I have to have my schools send it to them or is the AMCAS verification system enough? Thanx

First, thanks for this trend
Second, I hope gets stickied too

Finally, I have a personal question. When Columbia says they want a copy of your transcript and MCAT scores, does it mean I have to have my schools send it to them or is the AMCAS verification system enough? Thanx

I was confused about this too. We already sent all our stuff to AMCAS, it'd be a huge hassle to send it out to individual schools!

I sent Columbia an e-mail about this on Friday, so hopefully I'll hear back on Monday when the office opens again. I'll post here when I find out :)

Hey guys,
I'm entering my senior year but I plan to graduate a semester early (in December) and work in a lab full time for the spring semester. A lot of these secondaries seem to ask about what you've done if you've taken time off or graduated early so I'm wondering where exactly I should write about this. For example, Johns Hopkins asks:

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 char)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 char)

Which essay should I respond to when writing about my spring semester lab plans?

-Thanks for the help

Yes. Each individual school does not get a copy of your transcript from AMCAS. AMCAS just uses your transcript to verify your grades and then files it away. A lot of med schools (but not all) request that you send a transcript from your school since they don't have a copy (they only have your AMCAS app). It is incredibly annoying.

Hey guys,

I submitted my Columbia secondary a little bit past midnight, but this is the confirmation email I received:

Thank you for choosing to apply to Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. You have successfully submitted your application for the first year medical school class which will enter in August 2008.
Sincerely,
Columbia U College of Physicians & Surgeons Admissions Office

Everything on the application was updated, but I think not this email. Should I worry about this?

Thanks.

I spoke to Columbia Adm. today. They accidentally did not update the automated e-mail.

Where do they ask for a transcript?

After just phoning Columbia P&S Admissions office, they advised me that AMCAS was sufficient and not send an individual transcript from your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 1300 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

This is one of the columbia questions.

If your education hasn't been interrupted do you just leave it blank?

or do you write "no interruption" or something to that extent?

Hey Thanks guys!!! I just called them too and they said we don't have to send in transcripts or MCAT scores because AMCAS will forward them everything. Also, they said we can submit whenever but they won't have a committee to view the applications till July.

Hey. I submitted the morning of the 4th- and the amcas home screen says they're not sending to schools until the 24th. however, my status says that the app has been sent to designated schools. does anyone know which is correct? aka should i start expecting secondaries?

additionally, how can i find out which schools screen and which send secondaries automatically?

Yes. Each individual school does not get a copy of your transcript from AMCAS. AMCAS just uses your transcript to verify your grades and then files it away. A lot of med schools (but not all) request that you send a transcript from your school since they don't have a copy (they only have your AMCAS app). It is incredibly annoying.

Hmm. That's not what I understood. None of the schools I'm applying to list transcripts as required secondary materials, in fact they explicitly say "submit your transcripts through AMCAS": from dartmouth - "Transcripts for all academic work should be sent to AMCAS as directed in the AMCAS instructions."

Hmm. That's not what I understood. None of the schools I'm applying to list transcripts as required secondary materials, in fact they explicitly say "submit your transcripts through AMCAS": from dartmouth - "Transcripts for all academic work should be sent to AMCAS as directed in the AMCAS instructions."

Sorry, I meant after accepted. Getting a little bit ahead of myself there. :)

Only two schools (Baylor and UCLA) required transcripts with your secondary app when I applied.

Sorry, I meant after accepted. Getting a little bit ahead of myself there. :)

Only two schools (Baylor and UCLA) required transcripts with your secondary app when I applied.

To clarify, Baylor and UCLA do not require transcripts with the secondary application. They ask you to send them in after interview offer. I was given interviews at both schools without sending in my transcripts with the secondary materials.

Good luck.

Hey. I have a question. So we're always ranting about getting secondaries in early. When is early? Are we talking July? August?

I also wanted to try adding some info about which LORs certain schools required, whether they have a minimum and maximum, etc. I've been e-mailing some schools' admissions offices this week because some of these secondaries only give you space to enter 3 LOR writers, and I want to send more than that. I haven't organized the information yet, though.

I was JUST thinking about that. Please pass along any info you get and I'll do the same. :)

I was JUST thinking about that. Please pass along any info you get and I'll do the same. :)

So far, of the schools that replied to me, only Duke said they absolutely will not take more than 4 letters.

The rest, I explained that my career center was assembling a packet of 7 letters, and that they each represent a unique experience and I think would contribute meaningfully. For the most part, the schools told me that it would be okay to submit this letter packet. Some asked me to submit a list of the LOR-writers' names/titles when I sent in my secondary/payment/photo. That way they'd know which letters to expect.

So far, of the schools that replied to me, only Duke said they absolutely will not take more than 4 letters.

The rest, I explained that my career center was assembling a packet of 7 letters, and that they each represent a unique experience and I think would contribute meaningfully. For the most part, the schools told me that it would be okay to submit this letter packet. Some asked me to submit a list of the LOR-writers' names/titles when I sent in my secondary/payment/photo. That way they'd know which letters to expect.

Ok, cool, that's pretty much the same thing they've told me. I have 6 and a committee letter, so hopefully if the schools don't want to sift through them all they can use the committee letter to get what they want. Good :luck: with your app!

Are there no other schools with online secondaries that are accessible already?

Again, I only have info on the schools I applied to, so if anybody else wants to add to this thread, just post the info and i'll update it.

additionally, how can i find out which schools screen and which send secondaries automatically?

the easiest way is by looking in the MSAR. under the application process and requirements, it says "secondary application required? ___ . sent to: ____ ." usually it'll say either "all applicants" or "screened applicants." if you don't have one, then you can always go to each school's admissions website and it should say on there

I updated the 1st post with Yale's info!

I selfishly filled it all out myself (except the "why Yale?" essay) before I got around to posting it on SDN. :oops: I couldn't help myself, haha...

Good luck everybody!

I updated the 1st post with Yale's info!

I selfishly filled it all out myself (except the "why Yale?" essay) before I got around to posting it on SDN. :oops: I couldn't help myself, haha...

Good luck everybody!

Thanks shemarty!

I'm glad I have such a big overlap of schools you're applying to - I love how organized you are w/ these secondary threads! :D

Thanks shemarty! I was under the impression that all secondaries had email invites until I saw your thread a few days ago.

To add to the list:

Tulane has a pdf (print and snail mail) on their website. They haven't updated it yet - website says "will be available around mid-June" so I'm guessing soon.

Jefferson has the option of either submitting by email or by the pdf on their website. They haven't updated it yet - no sign of when.

Case Western (not sure if its an online app or by email invite) says the earliest submission date is 7/1/08 - so coming up quite soon.

Hey, does anyone know where on this site I can find any of the following? I would REALLY appreciate it! : )

1. UC and USC questions? Are they the same as last year? Are these out yet? I haven't been able to find these. I'm new though, so don't know how to search the site so well yet.

2. Which schools screen for secondaries, and which just take money?

3. Which schools require you to send in a transcript w/the secondary?

4. Letter of req requirements for each school?

Does anyone know how it works with sending out the primaries? I have heard two things: #1. they are just sent out as soon as they are verified and #2. they are sent out in batches (and the first batch is the 24th - anyone know the second?), and if #2 is correct, I don't understand how people have already gotten secondaries? Thanks!

Hmm, I was just looking at last year's prompts for secondaries. Some of the Qs really dip into material I have discussed in my personal statement. What do we do in that case - is it okay to repeat and try to say something different about the same material, although, inevitably, to answer the prompt, I would need to repeat some of the same things. Some of the prompts directly ask what I have already talked about... like why is this activity important to me, etc??

Thanks shemarty! I was under the impression that all secondaries had email invites until I saw your thread a few days ago.

To add to the list:

Tulane has a pdf (print and snail mail) on their website. They haven't updated it yet - website says "will be available around mid-June" so I'm guessing soon.

Jefferson has the option of either submitting by email or by the pdf on their website. They haven't updated it yet - no sign of when.

Case Western (not sure if its an online app or by email invite) says the earliest submission date is 7/1/08 - so coming up quite soon.

Post links to those as soon as they're actually available, and Ill update it on the 1st post of this thread. (PM me to make sure I see it!)

Does anyone know how it works with sending out the primaries? I have heard two things: #1. they are just sent out as soon as they are verified and #2. they are sent out in batches (and the first batch is the 24th - anyone know the second?), and if #2 is correct, I don't understand how people have already gotten secondaries? Thanks!

1. They will be sent out the 24th. This has been verified numerous times and is on AMCAS's login page.
2. Some secondaries don't require them to have recieved your primary first. Wash U, Hopkins and Columbia all allow you to login to their system by creating your own code, etc... These systems use your AAMC # to tie your primary and secondary together. Don't worry if you haven't gotten any secondaries, we haven't actually been invited to any of them yet either.

Hmm, I was just looking at last year's prompts for secondaries. Some of the Qs really dip into material I have discussed in my personal statement. What do we do in that case - is it okay to repeat and try to say something different about the same material, although, inevitably, to answer the prompt, I would need to repeat some of the same things. Some of the prompts directly ask what I have already talked about... like why is this activity important to me, etc??

Yeah I have that same issue about a lot of things that are overlapping. For these I feel that it's important to briefly cover what you talked about in your personal statement. You do not know what people put more emphasis on. Then go into some new things that are more applicable to the question. Make sure that you have some new things in your essay that weren't in your personal statement, don't just copy at all.

1. They will be sent out the 24th. This has been verified numerous times and is on AMCAS's login page.
2. Some secondaries don't require them to have recieved your primary first. Wash U, Hopkins and Columbia all allow you to login to their system by creating your own code, etc... These systems use your AAMC # to tie your primary and secondary together. Don't worry if you haven't gotten any secondaries, we haven't actually been invited to any of them yet either.

Yeah I have that same issue about a lot of things that are overlapping. For these I feel that it's important to briefly cover what you talked about in your personal statement. You do not know what people put more emphasis on. Then go into some new things that are more applicable to the question. Make sure that you have some new things in your essay that weren't in your personal statement, don't just copy at all.

Thanks so much rowerlauren! So does this mean that there is no difference b/w sending the application into amcas if one were to send it June 4 vs June 20, if they will both go out the 24th?

Also, I wonder, how much do schools, esp CA schools change secondary prompts b/w years? Thanks!

Thanks so much rowerlauren! So does this mean that there is no difference b/w sending the application into amcas if one were to send it June 4 vs June 20, if they will both go out the 24th?

Also, I wonder, how much do schools, esp CA schools change secondary prompts b/w years? Thanks!

Actually, that's not totally true. If you send it on June 4th, you can get verified on June 5th. So, you're "ready to go" by June 24th. Only those who are verified will be sent out on Jun 24th.

So, if you submit on June 20th, you will probably not be verified by June 24th since it's taking much longer now that more people have submitted. (check the amcas verification thread to see exactly how long). So, you probably won't be "ready to go" by June 24th, so you won't be in the 1st batch.

I don't know how much the secondary prompts change year to year. I think it's safe to assume they stay pretty much the same, but don't 100% count on it. At least reread the prompt before you copy paste a pre-written essay in the box ;)

Actually, that's not totally true. If you send it on June 4th, you can get verified on June 5th. So, you're "ready to go" by June 24th. Only those who are verified will be sent out on Jun 24th.

So, if you submit on June 20th, you will probably not be verified by June 24th since it's taking much longer now that more people have submitted. (check the amcas verification thread to see exactly how long). So, you probably won't be "ready to go" by June 24th, so you won't be in the 1st batch.

I don't know how much the secondary prompts change year to year. I think it's safe to assume they stay pretty much the same, but don't 100% count on it. At least reread the prompt before you copy paste a pre-written essay in the box ;)

I am so confused. If the apps are going out on June 24, then how are you all sending out secondaries? Don't we have to wait for each school to send us the secondary by email or letter? I thought they sent out the secondaries when they recieved the primaries?

any help would be appreciated:):luck:

Some schools that don't screen secondaries have them up on their websites already.

I am so confused. If the apps are going out on June 24, then how are you all sending out secondaries? Don't we have to wait for each school to send us the secondary by email or letter? I thought they sent out the secondaries when they recieved the primaries?

The few schools that have secondaries listed are available from standalone websites hosted by each school. Anyone who has submitted their AMCAS (and has an AAMC ID) can log-in and complete them... I'm assuming these schools would send you an automatic secondary once they receive your app. In any case, only such schools with online, ready-to-go secondaries are viewable so far.

-Rich

The few schools that have secondaries listed are available from standalone websites hosted by each school. Anyone who has submitted their AMCAS (and has an AAMC ID) can log-in and complete them... I'm assuming these schools would send you an automatic secondary once they receive your app. In any case, only such schools with online, ready-to-go secondaries are viewable so far.

-Rich

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still in the process of being verified by AMCAS; however, I do have an AAMC ID. Can I go ahead and fill out their secondaries? Also, this applies only for the 6 schools mentioned in the first post? I'd have to wait till the other schools send me a secondary, even if they don't screen?

Thanks again:luck:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm still in the process of being verified by AMCAS; however, I do have an AAMC ID. Can I go ahead and fill out their secondaries?

Thanks again:luck:

Yes, you can go ahead and fill out secondaries for schools that already have them online. Yale, WashU, Hopkins, Columbia are the ones that I know of that are available already.

Since the UT Southwestern Secondary is still down they emailed me the prompt today when they got my primary. AMCAS people don't worry... TMDSAS is completely different. This may mostly apply to Texas people, but I know that quite a few OOS apply to Southwestern.

"Describe the setting which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine." I don't know the length though...

Since the UT Southwestern Secondary is still down they emailed me the prompt today when they got my primary. AMCAS people don't worry... TMDSAS is completely different. This may mostly apply to Texas people, but I know that quite a few OOS apply to Southwestern.

"Describe the setting which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine." I don't know the length though...

yep, i just saw the email...

have you had any problems with texas tech by any chance? Their online secondary app is giving me problems. thanks! :luck:

yep, i just saw the email...

have you had any problems with texas tech by any chance? Their online secondary app is giving me problems. thanks! :luck:

Not applying to Tech... so no I haven't looked at the Tech website.

Status
Not open for further replies.