*** 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the personal pictures required by most secondaries (Johns Hopkins, WashU, Columbia, etc.) can we print out color photos of ourselves and just glue them on the secondary, or should we go to Ritz or whatnot and print them out on 'real' photo paper? Some schools, like WashU want you to upload a jpeg, so I would like to use the same digital picture for all the other secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to CVS and had them print out a sheet. It cost 93 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I added the MCW link to the 1st post.

I'm just going to post the LOR requirements on this thread and link to it on the 1st post because there doesn't seem to be much point in starting a new thread for MCW since there isn't an essay. But if any of you do want to start one, go ahead and then let me know so I can link to it.

Last edited:
Hey yall.....make sure to check your SPam....MCWs secondary went to my spam..

Medical College of Wisconsin LOR Requirements:

*Letters of Recommendation*

All letters of recommendation must be signed, printed on institutional letterhead and received directly from the author, university advising office or approved electronic provider. Letters from independent study, lab, and/or research courses _do not meet our requirement._

*Required **Undergraduate Letter(s):*

You will select one of the following options:

·One Premedical Advisory Committee Letter
·A packet of letters sent from your undergraduate institution (must include a letter from a Biology, Chemistry or Physics classroom professor).
·Two separate letters from classroom professors (one of which must come from the Biology, Chemistry or Physics department).

*Required** Graduate Letter(s): *(_in addition_ to undergraduate letters):

Recently Accepted - 1 letter
·One letter from the dean or department chairman - this letter must include a statement indicating that they are aware of your medical school application.

Currently Enrolled – 2 letters
·One letter from a major professor or thesis advisor
·One letter from the dean or department chairman - this letter must include a statement indicating that they are aware of your medical school application.

Previously Enrolled – 1 letter

* Never Enrolled*

* Optional Letters *(Not Required)
You may add up to three optional letters of recommendation to your file. These are generally personal or professional in nature, such as research, clinical or work supervisor or a physician. If these are in a "packet" they need NOT be listed individually.

This might have been answered already, but a lot of the prompts seem to ask about ECs and such. Can we write about the same things as on the primary application, especially the stuff we wrote in the personal statement?
Also, I know I wasn't supposed to put any high school ECs on the primary app, but can I use some high school experience as my most rewarding moment?

This might have been answered already, but a lot of the prompts seem to ask about ECs and such. Can we write about the same things as on the primary application, especially the stuff we wrote in the personal statement?
Also, I know I wasn't supposed to put any high school ECs on the primary app, but can I use some high school experience as my most rewarding moment?

1. Try to provide new information. You can write about the same thing, but it should present unique information about your life.

2. Most rewarding moment could be from HS. Again, the important thing is the "Why" behind it being the most important moment.

Medical College of Wisconsin LOR Requirements:

*Letters of Recommendation*

All letters of recommendation must be signed, printed on institutional letterhead and received directly from the author, university advising office or approved electronic provider. Letters from independent study, lab, and/or research courses _do not meet our requirement._

*Required **Undergraduate Letter(s):*

·One Premedical Advisory Committee Letter
·A packet of letters sent from your undergraduate institution (must include a letter from a Biology, Chemistry or Physics classroom professor).
·Two separate letters from classroom professors (one of which must come from the Biology, Chemistry or Physics department).

*Required** Graduate Letter(s): *(_in addition_ to undergraduate letters):

Recently Accepted - 1 letter

Currently Enrolled – 2 letters

Previously Enrolled – 1 letter

* Never Enrolled*

* Optional Letters *(Not Required)
You may add up to three optional letters of recommendation to your file. These are generally personal or professional in nature, such as research, clinical or work supervisor or a physician. If these are in a "packet" they need NOT be listed individually.

When sending letters to Interfolio, I believe my recommenders just emailed them...That's not "printed on institutional letterhead". Are we supposed to have them scan it to Interfolio?

When sending letters to Interfolio, I believe my recommenders just emailed them...That's not "printed on institutional letterhead". Are we supposed to have them scan it to Interfolio?

Hmm...maybe they emailed them on a document that has the letterhead on it?

It says somewhere on there...that they also accept it from certain electronic services...AKA interfolio.

University of Rochester's secondary is up now... I got an e-mail this morning. You need your AAMC ID and Last Name to log-in:

https://admissions.urmc.rochester.edu/studentLogin.cfm

No essays, just a few yes/no questions -- and 3 letters of recommendation minimum (4 spaces are provided).

This is their e-mail to reply to: [email protected]

-R

** Their e-mail says submission is available starting July 1, which I haven't tested -- but the secondary itself seems up-to-date for this year **

Last edited:
8:50 AM : Ohio State secondary out. Haven't looked far enough to see what's in it because I have to fill out all the nitty gritty family and residency information first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan's secondary is out.

Email, create log-in, asks for Non-academic activities and some demographic stuff, coursework, some other personal info, and two essays with the same prompts as last year:

"Select one experience from your list in part B (Non-Academic Activities) and describe in a brief essay how it impacted on your decision to go into medicine. Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

MSTP applicants: Instead of the above, briefly describe why you decided to apply to the U of Michigan MSTP. If you are interested in a specific department, program, or area of research for your Ph.D., briefly explain (we recognize that your interests may change)."

and

At the University of Michigan Medical School, we are committed to building a superb educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. What would you as an individual bring to our medical school community? Do not exceed 1500 characters (about 250 words).

In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far.
(600 words or less)

I got an email from UMDNJ-RWJMS just a minute ago. Basically it is just an attachment with a form to fill in. The form must be mailed in along with a $75.00 app fee. No essays or really much of anything.

If our institution doesn't use interfolio can we send LOR by mail?

There isn't an address listed-assuming admissions?

I just got University of Buffalos secondary... its really easy...no essays just the typical...do you have an alumni, have you been convicted of a felony etc.

If our institution doesn't use interfolio can we send LOR by mail?

There isn't an address listed-assuming admissions?

You might want to double check with the school - they may want them faxed.

In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

Provide a glimpse of your future telling us where you see yourself 10 years after graduation from medical school based on your experiences thus far.
(600 words or less)

What's the link to Ohio State's secondary?

Front page updated with a few more schools. Please PM me if you have info on the LOR requirements, links to the actual secondary website, or e-mail address for the school's office. I can update it once you send it to me.

So I guess MCW doesnt accept them electronically???

It was a pain to type out there address.

GW's is out

I PM'd shemarty with info

what do you mean rochester isn't available until july?

Does gw have essays?

So I guess MCW doesnt accept them electronically???

It was a pain to type out there address.

If it was a PDF, you could use Foxit reader to do the typing. There are also online PDF editors that let you do that and are much better than typing since you can fix errors.

If it was a PDF, you could use Foxit reader to do the typing. There are also online PDF editors that let you do that and are much better than typing since you can fix errors.

Any programs you could suggest that are useful for the pdfs? Also is anyone using any firefox plug ins to do the secondaries that auto-fill in since a lot ask the same stuff (e.g., birthday, parent's name, etc...)?

so to be clear,

GW's secondary came out via email already??????? on PDF????

what do you mean they don't accept electronically?

I haven't gotten any secondaries yet :(

Me either!! :scared:

Do you think it would be a bad idea to submit a secondary even though I haven't really received the e-mail invite? I was able to access the GW secondary through a link someone posted and I have already started working on it... but I don't want to submit it without an actual invitation from them... I guess I'll have to be patient. On their website it says they send secondaries to ALL applicants.

Me either!! :scared:

Do you think it would be a bad idea to submit a secondary even though I haven't really received the e-mail invite? I was able to access the GW secondary through a link someone posted and I have already started working on it... but I don't want to submit it without an actual invitation from them... I guess I'll have to be patient. On their website it says they send secondaries to ALL applicants.

You're ready to submit already??!!!! Amazing :)

what's the link to the GW secondary?? I didn't receive an email either.

Yet another email from UT Southwestern... their secondary is not available, still.

The character limit is unlimited.

Oh and she verified that there is no secondary fee.
An email address to contact them is [email protected]

You're ready to submit already??!!!! Amazing :)

GW is one of my top choices! I want everything in ASAP to have the best chance possible... sooooo many people apply to GW each year so it's going to be tough to stand out! :)

Received GW by email about an hour ago. It gave a link to a website and on their website they have a link to the PDF that we have to fill out.

Same questions as last year. Only one major essay which is:

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

I would wait to submit until you get an invite... but since it needs to be signed and sent by snail mail you could fill it out and then mail it right when you get the invite.

USF is out!

via email and only one major essay:

Please describe how your family background and life's experiences have come together to shape the person you are today and how this will allow you to contribute to the life and diversity of the USF College of Medicine.

surprised cause Im an OOS app. and this is my second secondary invite

Hey guys,
Sorry if this was addressed earlier but I was wondering if you have to wait until your transcripts are verified on AMCAS before schools start sending you secondaries. Or do they wait until your LORs are in? Or neither? After noticing that some of you guys got secondaries from GW, I have started to get a little nervous. Somebody easy my nerves!!!

Hey guys,
Sorry if this was addressed earlier but I was wondering if you have to wait until your transcripts are verified on AMCAS before schools start sending you secondaries. Or do they wait until your LORs are in? Or neither? After noticing that some of you guys got secondaries from GW, I have started to get a little nervous. Somebody easy my nerves!!!

No, they'll send you secondaries as soon as you are verified and they have your application.

anybody who was verified today (June 25th) get any secondaries yet. I hear MCW is out and got verified this morning but have not gotten anything yet... wondering if they process these things in mini waves perhaps?

https://www.applyweb.com/apply/osumed/

[email protected]

Reference letters may arrive at any time during the application process, and are required prior to a scheduled interview date. Reference letters may be submitted through an electronic reference letter service or sent to the address provided at the bottom of this message. Reference letters received from electronic reference letter services such as VirtualEval or Interfolio are marked as such. To verify specific letters submitted, contact the reference letter service directly.

Admissions Office
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University
155D Meiling Hall
370 West 9th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210

The minimum number of reference letters required is two from faculty who have taught and graded your course work. Additional letters from individuals who are able to speak to your abilities and unique characteristics are also encouraged. If your school provides a committee letter, we will accept that in lieu of the two academic letters. We accept letters electronically via VirtualEvals and Interfolio as well as U.S. Post.

The average number of reference letters submitted in support of an application is three. It is advised that the number of reference letters be limited to no more than four or five.

thanks for compiling the list for everyone shemarty! :D

what do you mean rochester isn't available until july?

Does gw have essays?

Rochester e-mailed out this statement:

You received an email this morning stating that we had received your verified AMCAS application and information regarding our on-line supplemental application. Please DO NOT attempt to log-in to the on-line supplemental application until July 1, 2008. We are currently having some technical issues that our IT Team is working to correct.

GW has two essays:

If you are not attending school full-time during the entire 2008-2009 school year, please indicate activities, coursework,
employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. Please restrict your answer to three lines.

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please
restrict your answer to ten lines.

-R

Does anyone know when we can expect the first round of secondaries from UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF?

Does anyone know when we can expect the first round of secondaries from UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF?

mdmarty, you have a eerily similar screenname to mine...and I literally just e-mailed both UCSD and UCLA to ask them this exact question.

UCSD said mid-July on the website. UCLA said August. I e-mailed both offices just to confirm that information.

I haven't checked on the UCSF website yet, and I didn't want to contact the office without looking on the website first.

Believe me, I've read their websites too. It's just that August for UCLA seems pretty late, and so I'm hoping to see if anyone from previous cycles got secondaries before the posted date. Sort of under the table secondaries if you will.

still none...not even GW....is that weird or should i just be more patient?

Status
Not open for further replies.