2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told today that rejection emails would be sent out first week of August. Looks like the wait continues...

so that means nobody at all got rejected yet?

Members don't see this ad.

so that means nobody at all got rejected yet?

Nobody here got accepted either. I am not sure what is going on, I wish the process was more transparent and not as nerve wrecking as it has become. I was reading some where that MI residents basically have only one choice Wayne State. MSU takes mostly non traditional students who they think are a good "fit" for the school. UM being UM accepts only graduates from big name school schools and very high scores. So basically if you are an average undergraduate from MI you have only one option. If somehow Wayne does not come through you are done.

Last edited:
I agree that the process should be more transparent. I think that we should be given our rank numbers at the very least. And even better to have it put into context of typical waitlist movement so we have some idea of where we stand. What's the purpose of all the secrecy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are absolutely right. There should be more transparency. At least, categories like tertiles, just to have idea if you are on top, in the middle, or the bottom.
Some students such as myself, have a family, a home, jobs and other things that we need to worry about. It takes time to sell a house (or at least to rent it out), or for my wife to find a new job or to re-locate. It would be nice to have an idea of where you stand so that you can at least make some sort of plans.

^ exactly. I'm also supporting a family and have a job and living arrangements to think about. Having at least some sense one way or another would make my decision-making process a lot easier!

Well if you have something in hand, move on, I would not wait for a decision that somebody has taken 11 months to make.....

Nobody here got accepted either. I am not sure what is going on, I wish the process was more transparent and not as nerve wrecking as it has become. I was reading some where that MI residents basically have only one choice Wayne State. MSU takes mostly non traditional students who they think are a good "fit" for the school. UM being UM accepts only graduates from big name school schools and very high scores. So basically if you are an average undergraduate from MI you have only one option. If somehow Wayne does not come through you are done.

I go on here and I got accepted to WSU. My friend got accepted to UM and we go to a private school of 1800 students, not a big-name at all. Taylor University, probably never heard of it huh? She is asian though, that helps.

I go on here and I got accepted to WSU. My friend got accepted to UM and we go to a private school of 1800 students, not a big-name at all. Taylor University, probably never heard of it huh? She is asian though, that helps.

The last person was talking about waitlisters who got in at this past call-in date (apr.22)

you, sir, got in much before.

I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist ("being under review") after visiting Texas Tech again. Good luck to all who are still waiting! :xf:

Anyone has any idea how many are on the waitlist, is it ranked, what are the expectations for the movement.

has anyone gotten new information when calling in today?

Yeah, come on! has anyone gotten new info on the last call in date?
I'm totally too scared to call and I have decided to wait for the mail to come to me.........:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im and OOS applicant and I will be withdrawing my place....too expensive. I hope one of you guys gets my spot. Good luck to everyone.

Anyone has any idea how many are on the waitlist, is it ranked, what are the expectations for the movement.

I don't know if they will tell you where you are on the waitlist, or how many people are waitlisted. I havn't heard of any rejections though, so you can look at how many people they interviewed last year. I think almost 1/2 of the in state applicants that were interviewed matriculated.

Expect a lot of movement after May 15th.

Does anyone have any info on Chatsworth Apt? The price for a 1-bedroom is reasonable, and I would rather not have to worry about utilities and whatnot.

I just sent an e-mail to Wayne to withdraw so good luck to anyone on the waitlist!!!

so has anybody seen that new building that they made yet? how is it??

Is anyone else still waiting on their financial aid info to be posted to pipeline?

For those of you who are entering students and filled out the scholarship application (the one that was due on Apr. 30 for new students), what did your application look like? Because mine was only one page, where I filled out my name, address, birthdate, etc. and my top three areas of medicine I am interested in. No GPA, no school, no extracurriculars, no essays, no short answers. . .so how do they give you a scholarship based on basically no information?

Or was my computer being a bitch, as usual, and I filled out only a tenth of the application?

My financial aid info is showing up on Pipeline. Lots and lots of loans. . .and still not enough to cover fees and cost of living. This sucks. Oh. And I lost my job as a science teacher. I had to quit because my car is ****ed and I can't get to work or pay for it to be fixed. Loving this depression/recession/slight economic decline.

For those of you who are entering students and filled out the scholarship application (the one that was due on Apr. 30 for new students), what did your application look like? Because mine was only one page, where I filled out my name, address, birthdate, etc. and my top three areas of medicine I am interested in. No GPA, no school, no extracurriculars, no essays, no short answers. . .so how do they give you a scholarship based on basically no information?

Or was my computer being a bitch, as usual, and I filled out only a tenth of the application?

Yep, I had the same app for the scholarships, so you should be fine (unless my computer is messed up too). My guess as to why it's so short, the people who are giving out the scholarships pretty much don't care about undergrad anymore - welcome to med school :)

My financial aid info is showing up on Pipeline. Lots and lots of loans. . .and still not enough to cover fees and cost of living. This sucks. Oh. And I lost my job as a science teacher. I had to quit because my car is ****ed and I can't get to work or pay for it to be fixed. Loving this depression/recession/slight economic decline.

What's your cost of attendance? Did you not get offered $40,500 in Staffords and the rest in grad plus up to your cost of attendance? Or are you saying that your CoA isn't enough for your budget? If that's the case, then talk to the financial aid office.

Hi everyone! For those of you on the waitlist....what is your plan? I know we need to at least wait until May 15th and they can call us at any point in the next few months, but I think it's going to be hard for me to sit around and wait...

Hi everyone! For those of you on the waitlist....what is your plan? I know we need to at least wait until May 15th and they can call us at any point in the next few months, but I think it's going to be hard for me to sit around and wait...

So what are your plans? I think they should at least let us know about the ranking so we can make alterante plans ie. apply for next cycle, SMP, renting apartments etc.

Since Wayne is in-state and my top choice, and because I have a friend at Wayne getting married this summer whose apartment lease I can probably take over, I'm planning on waiting patiently - if I get a call anytime up to the first day of orientation, I'm going

As for housing at other school I've been accepted to, I'll probably end up in the dorms, so hoping it doesn't fill up too fast, and they start a week later than Wayne, so I can get everything together if I've not gotten the call by first week of August :-/

Has anyone received a decision/status update in the mail from the last call-in date?

Since Wayne is in-state and my top choice, and because I have a friend at Wayne getting married this summer whose apartment lease I can probably take over, I'm planning on waiting patiently - if I get a call anytime up to the first day of orientation, I'm going

As for housing at other school I've been accepted to, I'll probably end up in the dorms, so hoping it doesn't fill up too fast, and they start a week later than Wayne, so I can get everything together if I've not gotten the call by first week of August :-/

For all you OOSers waiting for financial aid packages, I just called and got the verbal rundown although it wont be posted for 2-3 weeks on Pipeline.

Just looking through last years posts, they had already accepted quite a few prior to 5/15.
Anyone accepted yet? Anyone knows what is going on?

Just looking through last years posts, they had already accepted quite a few prior to 5/15.

No. But I just want to know how they can take 8 months + to review my application and still can't give me a yes/no answer.

I know they are moving the admissions office to the newly built building, which may be why they are taking so long to make these decisions...

yeah, it is kinda frustrating. Hopefully they will let us know within a week or so. Waiting sucks.

The last I heard (some time last week), they have contacted some people off the waitlist and that the class is full. They said around 200 people are on the waitlist, which based on last year's numbers means around 150 people have been rejected following their interview (for those who were wondering if anyone has been rejected). Finally, historically they anticipate 50 to 100 people to be accepted off the list. But keep in mind that a few years back, they accepted too many student and NO ONE was accepted off the waitlist. But that does not seem to be the case this year... AND YESS, WAITING SUCKKSSSSSSSS

Accepting 50% of a already huge waitlist of 200 seems somewhat outrageous!

Do ISers and OOSers have similar chances of getting off the waitlist?

The last I heard (some time last week), they have contacted some people off the waitlist and that the class is full. They said around 200 people are on the waitlist, which based on last year's numbers means around 150 people have been rejected following their interview (for those who were wondering if anyone has been rejected). Finally, historically they anticipate 50 to 100 people to be accepted off the list. But keep in mind that a few years back, they accepted too many student and NO ONE was accepted off the waitlist. But that does not seem to be the case this year... AND YESS, WAITING SUCKKSSSSSSSS

you say that 150 people would have been rejected post-interview, but I did a search on mdapps for people who interviewed at Wayne this year and not a single person has gotten rejected post-interview - is it just an MDApps thing, cuz that number just sounds fishy to me?

you say that 150 people would have been rejected post-interview, but I did a search on mdapps for people who interviewed at Wayne this year and not a single person has gotten rejected post-interview - is it just an MDApps thing, cuz that number just sounds fishy to me?
Fair enough... cause I haven't heard of anyone being rejected either. However, the lady at the admissions office stated that there had been rejections. Where I get the number from is by simply taking into account the statistics from last year and doing some math and guessing. Last year they interviewed 750 for 290 spots. If they did the same this year and already have a full class of 290 and have 200 waitlisters that adds up to 490, a difference of 260. I figured along the way (from october till now) approximately 100 people have given up their spot because of other acceptances and that left me with around 150 unaccounted for. I know it sounds like a lot, especially since no one has mentioned any rejections. Maybe way more than 100 people have given up their spot so far... who knows :)

Fair enough... cause I haven't heard of anyone being rejected either. However, the lady at the admissions office stated that there had been rejections. Where I get the number from is by simply taking into account the statistics from last year and doing some math and guessing. Last year they interviewed 750 for 290 spots. If they did the same this year and already have a full class of 290 and have 200 waitlisters that adds up to 490, a difference of 260. I figured along the way (from october till now) approximately 100 people have given up their spot because of other acceptances and that left me with around 150 unaccounted for. I know it sounds like a lot, especially since no one has mentioned any rejections. Maybe way more than 100 people have given up their spot so far... who knows :)

Yeah. Being on the WL at Wayne is probably the best WL to be on (I hope that provides some consolation until next week).

Yeah. Being on the WL at Wayne is probably the best WL to be on (I hope that provides some consolation until next week).

What makes you say that...people on other threads are being accepted left and right off the waitlist. No movement here. Hopefully there is big movement here.

Last edited:

What makes you say that...people on other threads are being accepted left and right off the waitlist. No movement here. Hopefully there is big movement here.

The fact that Wayne State has the largest class as well as the highest OOS tuition.

Also, during my interviewer WAAAAAAAAAY back in October, a lot of the students ate lunch with us and it was pretty unanimous that the WL moves considerable.

I just realized how long ago that was....man i want school to start

since today is the 15th we should see people start to get off the waitlist right??? :D Supposedly WSU also has a post-bacc program for those who are still interested in their medical school!

A friend of mine got a call this morning.

I hope I get a call in the next few months! This is my top choice, and I REALLY want to go there... :xf: :xf:

I hope I get a call in the next few months!

Next few months???? I think we have waited long enough should be in next few days.

I just called the admissions office, and she told me that they won't be making any calls until May 18th. :xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:

I just called the admissions office, and she told me that they won't be making any calls until May 18th. :xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf:

Well i hope we all hear good news, if not monday then soon after! :xf::luck:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.