2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. I am OOS, female and will be withdrawing my acceptance at Wayne State soon. I haven't had time to sit down to write a thoughtful letter to the admissions office yet so if anyone would like to write one for me, it'll help me open another spot for someone who really wants to go here. Just kidding. I'll have the letter sent by the end of this weekend. My interview at Wayne State was my favorite thus far and I wish I could learn medicine in Detroit, but it's too far away from home and too expensive for me to justify picking it over my other acceptance. Good luck to those waiting to hear back.

teardrops of happiness =]

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is kind of a long shot here, but is anyone looking for a roommate or know of someone who may want a roommate? I'm starting pharmacy school at Wayne in the Fall and i'm looking for someone to live with on or near campus. The reason why I asked here is because majority of the pharmacy students at Wayne commute, so I thought i'd take my chances in this thread. I am just as serious as you folks with school, i'm also respectful, and I keep the partying (or lack thereof, since i'm not much of a partier anyway) to a minimum. You probably won't notice i'm there since I like to study in the library anyway. :)

Here's my e-mail if anyone is interested: xshooshix @ hotmail .com (No SPAM please.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to withdraw from Wayne State soon. I just haven't gotten around to writing a proper letter to do so.

It would be much appreciated if you could somehow manage to do that before April 22nd!!

I think every OOS applicant that gets into WSU will withdraw if they get into another school....59K is a lot.

I think every OOS applicant that gets into WSU will withdraw if they get into another school....59K is a lot.
59 K is almost 60K

you can pay 2 years of med school with that kind of money any where else!

I will admit, that is definitely what I am thinking about if I happen to get into Wayne State... but I guess I'm hoping for some miniscule chance of super financial support from the school. :scared:

To add a little more fuel to the fire, that 59k for one year of OOS at WSU can fund four years of IS at pretty much any Texas school... :eek:

yeah the tuition seems kind of steep, do people end up transferring because of that?

Well, the cost of tuition isnt really the ONLY thing to consider. How about the living expenses...is Detroit an expensive city to live in? I got into BostonU and though the tuition is 45K, the total living expenses per year comes out to about 70K because the city is expensive.

Anyone know how much Wayne costs in total per year? (PS - wait listed at Wayne, but will probably withdraw)

Well, the cost of tuition isnt really the ONLY thing to consider. How about the living expenses...is Detroit an expensive city to live in? I got into BostonU and though the tuition is 45K, the total living expenses per year comes out to about 70K because the city is expensive.

Anyone know how much Wayne costs in total per year? (PS - wait listed at Wayne, but will probably withdraw)

Ha! I really wonder if Detroit is going to be around as a city with the way the economy is going... I would not consider it an expensive city... not even close to Boston... ultimately it depends on the sort of lifestyle you are looking for... You can always move across the river to Windsor and just commute (which some do at Wayne)... with the exchange rate these days you can save a little that way...
But I got a feeling the city is going to be in ruins by the time the class of 2013 starts :confused:

LOL u guys are hilarious. Detroit will be fine. Yes, the economy sucks, but it is still one of the largest metro areas in the country- the city is not about to crumble any time soon. I was downtown for the final four games this weekend and it kicked ass.

With regards to living expenses, the school estimates roughly $20k/year. u can prolly get a decent apartment on campus for $500-600 depending on if u want a roommate or not and where ur looking to live. I'll prolly be at university towers where its $420/person for a 3 bdrm/2 bath. Or u can even go to the suburbs which are roughly the same price, but then u have to drive so u add more expenses that way.

but even then, tuition is extremely high for you oos'ers so it might not be worth it even with lower living expenses.

pick watever school has the lower cost of attendance, interest on those loans is a bitch

ps. bars here are cheap compared to places like chicago/boston/new york :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the next call in day is? 22nd or 29th?

It is for sure the 29th, just looked at the list.

Hopefully we hear good news!!

Does anyone know what happens if we are still "under review" after this phone call? Will Wayne contact us after may 15th since there are no more call in dates? I am hoping for the best tho!

I remember the admissions department lady telling me to call back on the 22nd though?

Yeah I thought the list said the 29th, but the lady told me the 22nd last time :| I guess it won't hurt to try on the 22nd

supposedly only 88% matched this year out of the seniors. any thoughts on this? is anybody else a little worried about this?

My understanding is that the unmatched rates nationwide went from like 3% last year to 10% this year. Wayne was not the only school to get....well, Wayned. It's a product of all the new DO schools opening, all the MD schools raising numbers, and nobody taking more residents. Rumor is there were Wayne students with 240+ board scores that went unmatched because they only ranked a handful of schools and were outcompeted. The lesson here, rank and interview at as many places as possible, including a few that you deem "below" you.

Hey, I was just wondering if any of you ISers were planning on going to the financial Aid Basics for prospective medical students this saturday at wayne?

Mistake number one in applying to residencies is the same as applying to medical school. Don't make assumptions and be prepared to apply widely.

So I have a couple of questions. . .

After sending in my Technical Standards Form and deposit, do I need to call back Wayne State and notify them that this is the school I have chosen? Is there another step to confirming that I will be going there, with the exception of registration and orientation?

How crappy will my life be if I do not have a car and live in University Towers or something close to campus? I've spent the last 7 years living in places where dozens of bars, restaurants, stores, theaters, grocery stores, cafes, etc. have all been within a mile or two radius and I'm used to just walking to wherever I want to get to.

On the other hand, if I live in Royal Oaks, I think, is there efficient and quick public transportation?

I'm female. I need a roomie or two, also female. And a place to live. Homeless medical school in Detroit is not the way I want to go man. . .

I'm out of state. How much aid can I expect from WSU? When do I find out about federal aid/loans from FAFSA? I turned it in and had it verified and all that in February or March.

Sorry about the numerous and entirely random set of questions.

You'll get notified about financial aid soon. Take a look here for the costs.

Royal Oak does not have any public transportation and Detroit's is hardly any good. There are buses, but they aren't any good and there is the people mover but that's only downtown. Without a car, that complicates things. Michigan is designed around the car.

WOW,
70K first year, 71K 2nd year and 83K 3rd year for OOS that is TTTTOOOOO much.

Last edited:
WOW,
70K first year, 71K 2nd year and 83K 3rd year for OOS that is TTTTOOOOO much.

Huh? I've been under the impression it was 59K

I have a question for current students:

What exactly are the times for classes?
I know a lot of places will have classes from 8 am - 12 pm + labs, and then you're done for the day.
I was just wondering how Wayne is set up, I'm trying to get a feel for what the weekly schedule is like.

Thanks

Varies depending on what block you are in.

First year with anatomy, histo, embryo (only 2/3 units), and clin med things are crazy hours wise. Lectures begin around 9-1 (unless you have histo lab in the morning) and an hour for lunch from 12-1 then there is usually another lecture from 1-2 and then anatomy lab from 2-5 or more lectures. This block requires a lot of memorization so most of the time studying is spent outside of normal school hours. I believe anatomy labs were about 2-3 times per week and histo lab was maybe once a week. In November when anatomy is finally finished things get a lot more regular. There are very few labs for the rest of the whole first year besides your normal small group sessions for clinical medicine Thursdays every few weeks. Of course physiology, neuro, and genetics all have their little small group sessions but like I said there aren't that many (neuro probably has the most). Not counting the labs, the schedule is usually about 9/10-4 with an hour for lunch.

Second year, things get vary screwy and nothing is ever regular. It has definitely screwed with my sleep schedule due to our physical diagnosis course which is Tuesdays and Thursdays every week though every other week is usually online assignments rather than being at the hospital or the skills center to learn physical exam techniques. In the beginning of the year, you have Micro (First exam is Immunology) and Evidence Based Medicine except that the EBM exam isn't until later. After that, it was hell with Clin Med, Pharm, Psych, and Pathbio and they thought it would be a good idea to test us on all four subjects in the same week. (It was worse than anatomy practical, anatomy written, and histo even on the same day). So for next year they are making psych along with Micro. (God I loved Micro because it was so laid back and all you had to worry about was a single exam every two weeks and no other classes taking up a lot of the time. The labs are pretty easy and the exams were very straightforward and you knew what to study). Dr. Jackson was right when he said we'd be wishing it we were back in Micro. He was also correct when we were in the middle of hell on earth with Pharm, Psych, Clin Med, and Pathbio he told us it would get better. It certain has. Pathophysiology is a great course that takes up the majority of M2 and is the bread and butter of medicine. I've learned an extremely large amount of stuff and even about normal physiology where there were gaps in my knowledge from last year. Either way, I always stream lectures so time has no bearing and all I know is that we have way too many lectures and I am extremely sick of taking notes and watching lectures. Though streaming lectures is an amazing plus for Wayne.

So, I'm trying to figure out this whole living situation, and I have it narrowed down to a few places.

I was wondering how much I should budget for utilities, so I can figure that into how much living expenses will be. Any ideas?

Hi everyone! For those of you confused about the next call in date....I know the sheet says the 29th, but I called today and it is this wednesday, the 22nd.

Good luck! :thumbup:

To those of you who got accepted this cycle, I am trying to find a roommate who is in a similar situation as mine:

- Moving from OOS (California) to Detroit for med school.
- Looking to share a 2-bed,2-bathroom apartment 0.4 miles away from campus. (very close)
- Have a budget of 650/month for lease fees alone, but may be higher depending on availability of the apartment buildings. Reason I am doing this is because it costs something like 870/month to live in a 1bd/1bath that I won't be using all the space of.
- Would be willing to share all costs down the middle -- internet, utilities, (exception is parking, which costs ~$63 per month).
- I am the type to study at home very late at night, so late night noise/guests is definitely bad. Although since our academic interests will be shared, I don't think this is a problem.
- Otherwise, I am a pretty normal Asian-American, male, aged 24.

Send me a PM and we'll discuss the details!

fyi, just did the call-in, still under review; so the wait continues...*sigh*

hmmm, I wonder if anyone is ever going to get off "under review" on one of these dates. I know there have been a few, but my goodness! As for me, I am sitting here waiting until I get out of class to get the unchanged news I'm sure...

i am on the waitlist as well. I was told by someone at the school that the wait list moves slightly in these months, but really really moves after may 15th, and i figure ill be wait listed until then (at least). good luck to all the rest still waiting

Also still 'under review', for 2 months now...

Has anyone heard if this is a good, bad, or neutral status to have at this point?

I would think if they wanted to reject you, they would have done it by now.

Still under review. Apparently at this point everyone has been ranked on the waitlist.

Also still 'under review', for 2 months now...

Has anyone heard if this is a good, bad, or neutral status to have at this point?

I would think if they wanted to reject you, they would have done it by now.

Its just strange that I haven't heard of anyone being rejected yet...

Also still under review. here's hoping for major movement in the NEAR future! the waiting sucks...

just found this thread, I interviewed on April 1st and found out today I'm on the waitlist (under review) :(

Sorry to hear about all the continued waitlists..but I really think the WL is going to fly once May 15th - June 1st hits.

I have a really mean pre-med advisor who told me that the waitlist is just another way of telling you that you're rejected :(

Welcome to "Still-Under-Reviewville"
Population: ME TOO!!!!

So with all the call in dates done, are they going to have a waitlist and rank it, why are they doing this? Any insight anyone,,,,anyone.....current med-students.

still under review too :(

Think positive at least all the call in dates are done so no more torture of waiting for 1 month and hoping for a positive answer and finding out "still under review".

I was told today that rejection emails would be sent out first week of August. Looks like the wait continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.