2008-2009 Wayne State Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay i just got in! Finally after waiting since October :D

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!!! WOOP WOOP!!! Good luck to all of you, i hope there's tons more movement!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone...I don't know if any of you are on the roommate listing..but if you are or aren't and are still interested in a roommate for next year..I'm still looking and would be very interested. Feel free to PM me.

And good luck to those of you who are still waiting

Ok, I have read just about every response to this thread....:oops:
So does anyone have any idea about what the 2010 application secondaries will look like?

Do they tend to be the same from year to year?

Would it be wise to begin answering the secondary questions posted on the very first page of this thread?

Having never been through the process, any tips would be great! :thumbup:

I was also among the first batch interviewed, I hope I am next....

Ok, I have read just about every response to this thread....:oops:
So does anyone have any idea about what the 2010 application secondaries will look like?

Do they tend to be the same from year to year?

Would it be wise to begin answering the secondary questions posted on the very first page of this thread?

Having never been through the process, any tips would be great! :thumbup:

I doubt they would change it much. Since you can choose from several options, just do them all right now. WSU secondary was probably one of the tougher ones, but i banged it out within a day and am pretty sure that's why i got an interview so early.

Congratulations to you all! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in August!

As an experienced applier to Wayne State University, I can tell you that the questions for the secondaries changed this year. The previous few years were pretty much the same, so it is my guess that they will be similar in this next cycle.

Too all those on the waitlist, have hope! This year's waitlist seems to already be moving more than it had in some of the years I suffered through.

If you are on the wait-list though, make alternative plans now. Look for a SMP, study to re-take the MCAT, run off to Africa to give out immunizations, get a job to pay the bills while volunteering, whatever makes the most sense to you, and that will show your continued commitment to pursuing medicine. If you keep it up, and continue to apply broadly, (and apply early) you will get in. :thumbup:

Unlike what someone's mean adviser told them... being on the Wait-list means they like you, they think you would make a good doctor, so keep it up!

Good luck to everyone, and I hope to see everyone in August. :luck::xf:

I called into the admission office earlier and apparently they sent out some rejection letters today. I wasn't on the list :). Not sure how many people were sent letters...

I called into the admission office earlier and apparently they sent out some rejection letters today. I wasn't on the list :). Not sure how many people were sent letters...

Yeah... same here... they said rejection letters have been sent to 2 to 3 dozen students... and there are still approximately 100 students left on the wait-list

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, I just called to make sure I hadn't been rejected as well, and she told me that there are still several hundred on the waitlist?? I liked your answer better a1b2c3...

just got in this morning via a phone call! there is hope! I haven't decided if I am going to go there though, they gave me until June 26th to decide....

do you guys know if Wayne has "tours" of some sort for prospective students even though it's after May 15th?

just got in this morning via a phone call! there is hope! I haven't decided if I am going to go there though, they gave me until June 26th to decide....

do you guys know if Wayne has "tours" of some sort for prospective students even though it's after May 15th?

It's a ghost town right now in there. It couldn't hurt to ask the admissions office though.

I haven't seen the new student building but I've heard it's amazing. :)

Hey everyone, had a quick question on the financial aid front...I was trying to submit an MPN, but theres no "Wayne State school of medicine" listed as a school choice, should I just pick "Wayne State University" or maybe ask the fin aid office? not sure whether the undergrad and medical school should be considered the same for the purposes of the MPN.

Hey everyone, had a quick question on the financial aid front...I was trying to submit an MPN, but theres no "Wayne State school of medicine" listed as a school choice, should I just pick "Wayne State University" or maybe ask the fin aid office? not sure whether the undergrad and medical school should be considered the same for the purposes of the MPN.

I picked just Wayne State University and my pipeline says a "med MPN" had been received.

You could check with the fin aid office to be sure though.

Does anyone know if those scholarship things we filled out a form for have been awarded?

to those of you that have been accepted, I was wondering if wayne had sent you any information about specific stethoscopes and sphygmomanometer that are needed. I am currently accepted at another school but wayne is my first choice, and I have family members that want to get me these things as gifts, and I didnt want to get something that wouldnt work here as well incase I do ultimately get in. I wanted to get the Littman Cardiology III stethoscope, and as for the sphygmomanometer, Welch/Allyn Gold series DS66 trigger aneroid with pedi/adult/large-adult cuffs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey, quick question for all you OOSers (or you ISers who may know about this)...So is there officially no way for us to get IS tuition at any point? I've asked the school they say you can try etc etc, but I dont know if they're just sugar-coating. If not its ok, I'm ok paying off the debt if means a great education, but just wondering if any of you have heard of any loopholes or anything like that to try to get instate tuition...

any comments may help me stay above the poverty line during residency:(

to those of you that have been accepted, I was wondering if wayne had sent you any information about specific stethoscopes and sphygmomanometer that are needed. I am currently accepted at another school but wayne is my first choice, and I have family members that want to get me these things as gifts, and I didnt want to get something that wouldnt work here as well incase I do ultimately get in. I wanted to get the Littman Cardiology III stethoscope, and as for the sphygmomanometer, Welch/Allyn Gold series DS66 trigger aneroid with pedi/adult/large-adult cuffs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Just get the Cardiology III and whatever cheap cuff you can find. You don't really need a cuff as one will always be provided for you in the first two years. Though it does help having your own to practice with and so you know how to work the thing for your OSCE exam at the end of both years. Just don't spend more than $50 on the sphygmomanometer.

Hey, quick question for all you OOSers (or you ISers who may know about this)...So is there officially no way for us to get IS tuition at any point? I've asked the school they say you can try etc etc, but I dont know if they're just sugar-coating. If not its ok, I'm ok paying off the debt if means a great education, but just wondering if any of you have heard of any loopholes or anything like that to try to get instate tuition...

any comments may help me stay above the poverty line during residency:(

I did some looking into this because I was born in Michigan, went to all my primary school in Michigan, went to University in Michigan, etc, except that I have lived for the last 2 years in Wisconsin because I needed a job to pay the bills.

What I found out is there are basically 3 ways to show you have primary residency as Michigan (Because they want to be sure you won't just run off as soon as school is done).

1. A parent still lives in Michigan
2. You held a job and did not go to school for at least a year before going to school.
3. Your spouse held a job and did not go to school.

In talking with the registrar, I was told that one of these three things were required to make a case, and that all the other information would support my case.

Also that I would not be able to apply for in-state status until I had lived in the state for 6 months.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

And always the standard disclaimer... this is what I found out in regards to my own situation, your situation is likely different.. and none of this may be relevant. :luck:

Huh, its slightly disheartening that the waitlist movement seems nonexistent right now... hopefully it will still move some! :xf::xf::xf:

300 students in the class, more than a hundred still on the waitlist. shucks. is it even that good a school?

Does anyone know how many full tuition merit scholarships are offered? Also, how do you apply? If you perform well your first year, can you apply for second year?

A while ago, I sent in that half-page information sheet for the scholarship consideration but have not received any information on that, besides the usual financial aid stuff -- subsidized/unsubsidized loan packages.

holiday kind of stole my thunder, but I was also wondering if anyone has heard anything about the scholarship apps..When I was doing the app I was like wth is this they basically just ask for your name. While I'm def not expecting a full ride, some coin would be nice especially for an OOSer. Has anyone heard anything? Or does anyone know when they usually let the students know?

Hey just called the office, they said theyll make decisions on scholarships for first years in august sometime a few weeks after we start school

Hey just called the office, they said theyll make decisions on scholarships for first years in august sometime a few weeks after we start school

It's a trap. They lure you in by offering these small scholarships as incentives, then make you pay that hefty tuition. A couple weeks after school has started, they offer you no monay! lol

It's a trap. They lure you in by offering these small scholarships as incentives, then make you pay that hefty tuition. A couple weeks after school has started, they offer you no monay! lol

They should just screw the full rides and cut a piece out of every OOS persons tuition.

Very few people get scholarships. Your best bet is need-based aid. So hopefully you filled out parental info and you didn't have much income. Personally, I wasn't eligible for anything first year besides sub staffords and the normal unsub staffords but I have been for M2 and M3 for the board of gov scholarship (need based).

Being eligible involves common sense reducing your assets prior to doing your FAFSA.

I am not a Wayne State applicant, but I thought I would post to let you guys know the waitlist is moving, at least for OOSers. One of my classmates from Ugrad was accepted last week.

I am not a Wayne State applicant, but I thought I would post to let you guys know the waitlist is moving, at least for OOSers. One of my classmates from Ugrad was accepted last week.

a small request for OOSer acceptees:
if you have/get an acceptance elsewhere, please consider it!
let us poor waitlisters have a chance at medical school =[
even if its an uberly expensive medical school
with buildings that have small windows
and a good bulk of students who never come to class
and a good bulk of students who like to keep to themselves
and food options that could give you high cholesterol, BP, diabetes, GI-troubles
in a place where you couldn't go anywhere without a car
in a place where the weather is usually cold
at a school where a starkingly >10% of grads didn't get a residency match last year
at a school you might as well avoid if you've gotten in elsewhere

Please do consider it

Warm Regards,

OOSer waitlister and WSU-lover despite it all

a small request for OOSer acceptees:
if you have/get an acceptance elsewhere, please consider it!
let us poor waitlisters have a chance at medical school =[
even if its an uberly expensive medical school
with buildings that have small windows
and a good bulk of students who never come to class
and a good bulk of students who like to keep to themselves
and food options that could give you high cholesterol, BP, diabetes, GI-troubles
in a place where you couldn't go anywhere without a car
in a place where the weather is usually cold
at a school where a starkingly >10% of grads didn't get a residency match last year
at a school you might as well avoid if you've gotten in elsewhere

Please do consider it

Warm Regards,

OOSer waitlister and WSU-lover despite it all

I like your spunk, I am going to withdraw within the week just for that.

FYI, there are A LOT of changes coming for the incoming class in Scott Hall. A new food court with food options that won't give you cardiovascular disease. A new rebuilt gym to work out (where the old financial aid office was). Obviously the medical commons building and Shiffman library in the new building are ready to go and it's very nice.

By the way, I hate to say it but people haven't been going to class at any medical schools unless attendance is required for a long long time even before streaming lectures. In the olden days (still happens at some schools) there is a note service by certain students who get paid to take notes of all of the lectures and it is distributed to the class. You'll understand why people study at home rather than coming to lecture when you start school. The information they expect you to study in such a short time is much easier to get through if you do it the way you want. Streaming lectures are the future of lecture-based education in the pre-clinical years. Labs can't be replaced and there is a reason they are required. Also, clinical medicine small group sessions are also required for a reason.

The OOS does hurt though. It certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I wasn't paying IS tuition. It is a good school I'm not going to deny that. The DMC, Beaumont, and Henry Ford Hospitals are great to do rotations in. Wayne students are well-known for their clinical skills.

FYI, there are A LOT of changes coming for the incoming class in Scott Hall. A new food court with food options that won't give you cardiovascular disease. A new rebuilt gym to work out (where the old financial aid office was). Obviously the medical commons building and Shiffman library in the new building are ready to go and it's very nice.

How is the gym? Do the med students have access to the main gym/rec center; and, how far is it from the med campus?

Yes we have access to the main campus gym. I'm talking about future construction during the year. Right now there is also a gym in the basement of Scott Hall with all the equipment.

Just to give anyone on the wait list a little hope: I withdrew my acceptance from Wayne yesterday. Hope one of you gets my spot! Good luck!

How is the gym? Do the med students have access to the main gym/rec center; and, how far is it from the med campus?

WSU campus gym is nice. There is a decent rock wall. Definitlely within walking distance if you aren't completely lazy.

Just sent my withdrawal letter, kind of sad, I was pretty set on going to WSU. Hope one of you guys get the spot.

Just to give anyone on the wait list a little hope: I withdrew my acceptance from Wayne yesterday. Hope one of you gets my spot! Good luck!

As a waitlistee, I thank you.
So without further ado...

pick me, pick me, pick me, pick me!!!
:luck::xf::luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

I need some in-staters to withdraw! I want to go to Wayne so bad!! But I am starting to give up all hope... So frustrating... :-/

come on, pick me!

I'm in-state and I just deferred so hopefully that opens up a spot for someone here..

ok, so quick question here about tuition. I was looking through a listing of all med school tuitions for in state and out of state. Wayne had the highest non-resident tuition I could find..all of us non-residents probably know this already and are looking fondly upon our years of debt:(....but even the in-state is around 30k..which is obv way better than non-resident but isnt exactly cheap either. Any thoughts on why this is the case? I mean clearly we know Detroits been struggling financially lately, but with rates this high, it seems as if theyve been relatively high (compared to other schools) for quite some time. And, with the new extension they put on the school and some of the renovations, it seems like rates are only on the rise...not bad mouthing the school at all, I am thrilled to be going anywhere, and I dont mind debt because I want to be a doctor, but these rates for both instate and out of state seem unprecedentedly high...any thoughts?

ok, so quick question here about tuition. I was looking through a listing of all med school tuitions for in state and out of state. Wayne had the highest non-resident tuition I could find..all of us non-residents probably know this already and are looking fondly upon our years of debt:(....but even the in-state is around 30k..which is obv way better than non-resident but isnt exactly cheap either. Any thoughts on why this is the case? I mean clearly we know Detroits been struggling financially lately, but with rates this high, it seems as if theyve been relatively high (compared to other schools) for quite some time. And, with the new extension they put on the school and some of the renovations, it seems like rates are only on the rise...not bad mouthing the school at all, I am thrilled to be going anywhere, and I dont mind debt because I want to be a doctor, but these rates for both instate and out of state seem unprecedentedly high...any thoughts?

Maybe some of the tuition is being used to lure LeBron to the Pistons for next year? Besides, that not too sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.