~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
diggintheDOs:

CCOM
LECOM (BOTH)
KCUMB
NYCOM
DMU* Will probably get screened out because of your science GPA.
WVSOM
TOUR-CA
LMU-Debusk :love: This is where I'm going.
PCOM (BOTH)
PCSOM-Pikeville*preference given to people from appalachian region.
RVU-COM (??)*For profit, if you care about that sort of thing. Research it.
UNECOM (??)* fairly in-state/region heavy, but not impossible.
UMDNJ-SOM * fairly in-state heavy.

Good Luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone! i'm pretty new to this, so here goes ...

LMU-Debusk
PCOM-GA
RVU-COM

The above schools are those at the top of my head that I know are new - is NYCOM? There are other newer schools but I didn't see PNWU (for another new one) on your list.

Anyway, I definitely can provide comment on RVUCOM. I also liked DCOM (DeBusk) but chose a different path. To each his own.

I'd mainly recommend looking at the curriculum, the planned rotations, and the setting as it relates to your individual view of "opportunity" - rural or metropolitan. Different opportunities (i.e. large population, large hospitals, other research institutions nearby - those things were most important to me) can be found in each setting.

For info on DCOM, I'd look to user NascarDoc and for GA-PCOM, TexasTriathlete, perhaps?

As for RVUCOM, my decision was as follows:
  • curriculum model (UofColorado and/or integrative)
  • clinical rotation sites (large/well-funded)
  • metropolitan area w/large population
  • creation of 300+ dual-accredited local/regional residencies
  • faculty/staff experience
Less of a factor but weighed:
  • UofC only other med school in region, graduating only ~150 med students
  • state-of-the-art facilities
  • less limitation w/regard to funding (tax status) therefore additional support regionally due to no local tax burden
  • UofC has implemented a cost-cutting plan where they will utilize their Anschutz teaching hospital more going forward thereby allowing RVU students to occupy positions at key, former UofC clinical rotation hospitals
  • RVUCOM will likely be purchased by UofC later (same as many other DO schools who share locations with allo schools)
Keep in mind, RVUCOM currently requires private funding (due to it's current tax status) through Sallie Mae, Med Plus, and/or Nelnet (no federal funding yet and not until either first medical class graduates or another health school RN or PA graduates).

The above schools are those at the top of my head that I know are new - is NYCOM? .

NYCOM is not new . . . it's about 30 years old. :thumbup:

New schools that have not graduated a first years class and have provisional accreditation are:

LMU DCOM
RVU
PNWU
Touro-NY
ATSU-MESA

The will be fully accrediated when the graduate their first class.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCOM is not new . . . it's about 30 years old. :thumbup:

New schools that have not graduated a first years class and have provisional accreditation are:

LMU DCOM
RVU
PNWU
Touro-NY
ATSU-MESA

The will be fully accrediated when the graduate their first class.

It was Touro-NY i was thinking of... 3 out of 5. Considering I only applied to 2 (RVUCOM, DCOM) of those schools, that isn't too bad. :cool::thumbup:

Ok I guess I can't hold off the anxiety attacks any longer and will post: my stats are:
mcat = 30 Q (10, 10, 10)
sgpa = approx 3.5 (I received more A's in science courses as a freshmen and not as many now, still a few A's but more B's in upper courses)
ogpa = approx 3.5 ( i received a D in a non-science course but retook and got A)

decent to good LORs, ECs, and PS.

The schools I am planning on applying to are:
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
GA-PCOM
KCUMB
LECOM (both)
LMU
MSUCOM
NSUCOM
NYCOM
OSU
PCOM
PCSOM
TUCOM-CA
UMDNJ
UNECOM
UNTHSC/TCOM
WESTERN U

My criterion are: established school, clinical rotations are well funded/large, close/in big city, have had numerous matches into a wide variety of residencies. Please let me know if there are any schools I have missed or should get rid off.

What are my chances at these schools? Would appreciate feed back, thank you. btw I have taken biochem.

It was Touro-NY i was thinking of... 3 out of 5. Considering I only applied to 2 (RVUCOM, DCOM) of those schools, that isn't too bad. :cool::thumbup:

It's cool. I wasn't trying to one-up you, just posting helpful info. :D

Sorry to post this again :-/

So I don't know whether to apply this year or next year. Right now I'm a junior, and I am taking my MCATs at the end of August, but I am confident that I will do fairly well. By the end of junior year, my uGPA should be 3.4 and my sGPA should be 3.2. I've done research, worked in hospitals, etc. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get in anywhere if I apply that late (I don't know much about the DO system). Also when do you apply in relation to when you take your Mcat exam. Thanks in advance!

Sorry to post this again :-/

So I don't know whether to apply this year or next year. Right now I'm a junior, and I am taking my MCATs at the end of August, but I am confident that I will do fairly well. By the end of junior year, my uGPA should be 3.4 and my sGPA should be 3.2. I've done research, worked in hospitals, etc. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get in anywhere if I apply that late (I don't know much about the DO system). Also when do you apply in relation to when you take your Mcat exam. Thanks in advance!

You'll be a little late with your MCAT, but if you do well you should have a good shot. Also, go ahead and fill out your app. on AACOMAS when it is available in June. People have gotten interviews without MCAT scores, but you will need to add it as soon as you get it. Botton line- if you can spare the application fees and traveling, ect, go ahead and apply. Also, you really need a DO letter, so shadow one if you haven't already.

sweet, thanks for the helpful info on the schools. i was also wondering if i should retake my 25 mcat :scared: (i know i can do better, i woke up not feeling well the day of) to try and compensate for the low science gpa. what do you guys think? do i still have a shot without retaking it?

DMU rejected me pre-secondary for a 2.984 science GPA. Over 3.0 is required.

oh wow, that's helpful to know. did you end up getting in anywhere else or are you reapplying? sorry if that's too personal, just curious because we're in a similar boat. any advice on schools that are more lenient on the science gpa would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet, thanks for the helpful info on the schools. i was also wondering if i should retake my 25 mcat :scared: (i know i can do better, i woke up not feeling well the day of) to try and compensate for the low science gpa. what do you guys think? do i still have a shot without retaking it?

I'd probably go ahead and "give it a go" by applying to a number of select schools with your stats for 2013 - albeit while you prepare for your next MCAT (make sure this is a "planned" item in your AACOMAS app). If your ECs and recommendations are truly excellent and your numbers are above your chosen school's cutoffs, you might even land an interview and get noticed. Depending upon the rest of your application, in my opinion, you still have opportunities. :thumbup:

I think those feelings are rather typical the "day of". ;):D

true story. but i still felt 'off' and i don't usually get like that with tests, but the mcat is completely different from any other test most of us have ever taken.

on a different note, what does everyone mean by "for profit" with regard to RVU???

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Vista_University_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine

Also, I would apply with the 25 and see what happens.

Good Luck :luck:

You rule! :thumbup:

Edit: and this - http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/for_profit.asp

180px-Rocy_Vista_University_Logo-1.png

Hey everyone,

This is my first time on sdn. I had a couple of questions about when I should apply and about the MCAT. My stats are: 3.98 GPA, 1500 volunteer hours, undergraduate research, will start shadowing a D.O. next month, and pretty good ecr's (president of bio society). But I haven't taken the mcat yet. My diagnostic test for kaplan was 22. I am planning on taking the mcat in July or August. I went to an open house at VCOM and fell in love with it. Also, I'm starting to learn great things about WVSOM and PCSOM.

1. Considering my other stats, what kind of mcat score do I need to be competitive?
2. If I take the mcat in August and apply after that, will this put me at a disadvatage in the admissions process?
3. Does anyone know any specifics about what VCOM, WVSOM, or PCSOM are looking for in applicants?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hey everyone,

This is my first time on sdn. I had a couple of questions about when I should apply and about the MCAT. My stats are: 3.98 GPA, 1500 volunteer hours, undergraduate research, will start shadowing a D.O. next month, and pretty good ecr's (president of bio society). But I haven't taken the mcat yet. My diagnostic test for kaplan was 22. I am planning on taking the mcat in July or August. I went to an open house at VCOM and fell in love with it. Also, I'm starting to learn great things about WVSOM and PCSOM.

1. Considering my other stats, what kind of mcat score do I need to be competitive?
2. If I take the mcat in August and apply after that, will this put me at a disadvatage in the admissions process?
3. Does anyone know any specifics about what VCOM, WVSOM, or PCSOM are looking for in applicants?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

With your GPA, you'd be all right with anything 24 and above - of course, aim for that comfortable 28-30. Your ECs look great, too. Take the MCAT earlier if you are able so you can retake if necessary - the earlier the better, really, since this could hold up your application consideration by the ADCOMS.

Thanks White Rabbit. You're awesome!

No problem. :thumbup:

Stick around for useful advice throughout the application process; this forum mostly consists of helpful and knowledgeable people, mostly. :smuggrin:

Best of luck. :luck:

Hey everyone. I'm applying DO/MD without a preference except the school be relatively close to PA. I have a few schools in my MDApps that aren't close (Tulane I believe is on there). I'll post everything here but if you want to leave comments on my MDApps that'd be great.

As for my MCAT score... I'm taking on Saturday (dun dun dun) and have been scoring in the mid to high twenties on practice exams. I don't feel my AAMC 3 (I can hear groans already) score is too reflective of my ability.

BCPM GPA: 3.46
Overall GPA: 3.48
Brief Profile:
Clinical Volunteer experience:
...150 Hours at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
......Post-surgical nursing unit
......Emergency Department
......LOR from Volunteer Services (Based on staff feedback)

Shadowing
...My own PCP, PCOM Grad
...LOR

Nonclinical Volunteer Experience (Alternative Spring Breaks)
...Habitat for Humanity (Hanover, VA) - 50 hours
...Habitat for Humanity (Beaumont, TX) - 50 hours
......Student leader = a lot of work/responsibility
...Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort - 100 hours
......During spring break, before much had been done for region
......Followup trip that summer
.........Organized followup trip

Orientation Leader - 3 summers
...'Head OL' this summer
......Organize and prepare for summer orientation and fall orientation
......Full time summer job
...LOR from my director

School Activities
...Student government and campus activities board
......Organize and plan events for the campus community
...Admissions caller
......Call and promote undergrad institution in order to recruit
......students
...First Year Experience committee
......Improve/enhance the first year for matriculated students
...Premed club
......Probably won't include

Job experience (varied)
...Paintball referee
...Ski resort rental technician
...Telephone interviewer
...Flooring/Hardware/Patio sales
...IT - work study

Overview of Applications:
Awaiting Secondary
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Drexel University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University
Jefferson Medical College
Lake Erie College - Erie
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York College of New York Tech.
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University
Philadelphia College - Philadelphia
Rosalind Franklin University
Temple University
Tulane University
Virginia Commonwealth University
West Virgina (D.O.)
West Virginia University

Summary of Application Process:
I would like suggestions of schools to apply to. I am in the process of studying for the April 19th MCAT. I also intend on applying to the new, proposed school for the Scranton area. Additionally, location is a factor for me and I would prefer to not fly/move around the country but am open to ideas.

GPA - I have an upward trend from 3.23 to 3.44 freshman year. Sophomore year I received a 3.67 and 3.71. This past semester I received my first C in physical chemistry. It dropped my semester GPA from a 3.68 to a 3.28. Hopefully this won't cause much grief.

Ok I guess I can't hold off the anxiety attacks any longer and will post: my stats are:
mcat = 30 Q (10, 10, 10)
sgpa = approx 3.5 (I received more A's in science courses as a freshmen and not as many now, still a few A's but more B's in upper courses)
ogpa = approx 3.5 ( i received a D in a non-science course but retook and got A)

decent to good LORs, ECs, and PS.

The schools I am planning on applying to are:
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM
GA-PCOM
KCUMB
LECOM (both)
LMU
MSUCOM
NSUCOM
NYCOM
OSU
PCOM
PCSOM
TUCOM-CA
UMDNJ
UNECOM
UNTHSC/TCOM
WESTERN U

My criterion are: established school, clinical rotations are well funded/large, close/in big city, have had numerous matches into a wide variety of residencies. Please let me know if there are any schools I have missed or should get rid off.

What are my chances at these schools? Would appreciate feed back, thank you. btw I have taken biochem.

anyone? do i stand chance? is school list good? etc, etc...

ahaydt:

I think you would be ok with a 26+ MCAT for the DO schools, but I think you should add a couple more DO schools to your list. To be brutally honest, you will probably need at least a 29+ to be looked at by the MD schools. EC's look good, LOR's seem strong, your GPA is pretty average for DO schools and on the low side for MD schools. Just my $0.02.

Good Luck on the MCAT this Saturday!!!!!! :luck:

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to SDN, and I have a few questions about my chances of getting into an osteopathic school. I also don't know which ones to apply to.

Stats:

uGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.15

Both of these show an upward trend.

I'm taking my MCATs on August 22, which will delay the application process for me. This is one of my concerns. However, I'm confident that I can get a 30+ score.

ECs

2 research projects (different summers), no publications
Research with a doctor at local medical school
100 hours volunteering at the local hospital
In a program that teaches high school kids about HIV/AIDS
I play tennis (some tournaments, sometimes with the club team)
Intramural basketball, softball, flag football
Will be shadowing doctors over the summer
Honors program for 2 years

LOR

Strong (1 MD, and 1 science teacher who is an MD)

So what do you all think? Thanks for the input!

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to SDN, and I have a few questions about my chances of getting into an osteopathic school. I also don't know which ones to apply to.

Stats:

uGPA = 3.3
sGPA = 3.15

Both of these show an upward trend.

I'm taking my MCATs on August 22, which will delay the application process for me. This is one of my concerns. However, I'm confident that I can get a 30+ score.

ECs

2 research projects (different summers), no publications
Research with a doctor at local medical school
100 hours volunteering at the local hospital
In a program that teaches high school kids about HIV/AIDS
I play tennis (some tournaments, sometimes with the club team)
Intramural basketball, softball, flag football
Will be shadowing doctors over the summer
Honors program for 2 years

LOR

Strong (1 MD, and 1 science teacher who is an MD)

So what do you all think? Thanks for the input!

OK, are asking what schools to apply to? That's easy, the ones you're interested in. You should research them, see what kind of curriculum they have, where's they're located, what you like/dislike about them etc.
Start here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2008.pdf

I had the same GPA as you, but just to let you know, it's kind of on the medium to low end of the average. Try for a 26+ on the MCAT and you will hopefully have more options.

Also, some schools require a DO LOR and others strongly recommend one . . . there are a few that will accept an MD or DO LORs. You might also need another science LOR (most schools require 2). To be on the safe side, I would have 2 science, 1 non-science, 1 DO and 1 other from a volunteer supervisor or employer. You can find this info and each school's requirements in the link I posted above or on each school's website under "admissions".

Good Luck on the MCAT! :luck:

Thanks for the pdf. What are my chances at these schools?

Western U/COMP
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
CCOM
PCOM
GA-PCOM

Thanks for the pdf. What are my chances at these schools?

Western U/COMP
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
CCOM
PCOM
GA-PCOM

Your chances are zero until you have a MCAT score. ;) Seriously, take the rest of the advice that I gave you. Look up the averages (MCAT and GPA) for the above schools and find out of you have the LOR requirements. :thumbup:

ahaydt:

I think you would be ok with a 26+ MCAT for the DO schools, but I think you should add a couple more DO schools to your list. To be brutally honest, you will probably need at least a 29+ to be looked at by the MD schools. EC's look good, LOR's seem strong, your GPA is pretty average for DO schools and on the low side for MD schools. Just my $0.02.

Good Luck on the MCAT this Saturday!!!!!! :luck:
Thanks. That's what I was expecting to hear.

That's what I would do if I were you. I retook a bunch of classes that I got a C or lower in and it really helped to boost my GPA and prove to Adcoms that I could handle the harder, upper division science classes.
Back again with a question: retake classes I've done poorly in or take high level science or a mix? I've got a few Ds I could rectify, which would give me a big boost, but but but... Virology. *drools*

Two other things to consider: I'll also be applying allopathic schools and I could probably finish a second major in bio were I to continue to take high-level bio courses.

Back again with a question: retake classes I've done poorly in or take high level science or a mix? I've got a few Ds I could rectify, which would give me a big boost, but but but... Virology. *drools*

Two other things to consider: I'll also be applying allopathic schools and I could probably finish a second major in bio were I to continue to take high-level bio courses.

I would most definitely retake any classes you got a D in *(especially if they were in science classes)*. Adcoms for MD and DO schools will want to see that you are capable of passing any science class. Taking upper division science coursework is also a good idea, as it further proves to Adcoms that you can handle "med school like" courses.

So, I say go for the mix, but definitely retake the D's and even some of the C's. If taking all that coursework results in a second major than that's awesome . . . it's an added bonus. :thumbup:

Good Luck! :luck::luck:

Are you planning to apply for 2009 or 2010 entrance?

Are you planning to apply for 2009 or 2010 entrance?
I'm pretty sure it will be both. But, like you said, who knows? But after thinking it over, I've realized it's best to start now. Starting to think that Perhaps just a straight retake might be best, since with one year of work (half-time) I could probably boost my AACOMAS GPA a good .25 or so.

does anyone know what the GPA/MCAT cut offs are for the following schools?
Midwestern (CCOM)
PCOM (PA)
PCOM (GA)
KANSAS CITY (MISS)
AT STILL (MISS)
NYCOM
WEST VIRGINIA
LAKE EERIE (PA)
LAKE EERIE (FLA)
TOURO (CAL)
PIKEVILLE
UNECOM

not in terms of averages of those accepted, but in terms of who gets a secondary/who doesn't. basically, which schools filter/screen for gpa/mcat minimums??

thanks in advance!

does anyone know what the GPA/MCAT cut offs are for the following schools?
Midwestern (CCOM)
PCOM (PA)
PCOM (GA)
KANSAS CITY (MISS)
AT STILL (MISS)
NYCOM
WEST VIRGINIA
LAKE EERIE (PA)
LAKE EERIE (FLA)
TOURO (CAL)
PIKEVILLE
UNECOM

not in terms of averages of those accepted, but in terms of who gets a secondary/who doesn't. basically, which schools filter/screen for gpa/mcat minimums??

thanks in advance!

All the Touro's will tell you they have a 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA cutoff for a secondary. Technically, schools will say they have cutoffs and they will give you a secondary, but never offer you an interview because you are not competitive enough (this was my case for most schools). Generally, a GPA of at least 2.75 -3.00 minimun is needed.

Check out these threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=454296&highlight=MCAT+cutoff

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450589&highlight=MCAT+cutoff&page=2

Good Luck! :luck:

Wow Prions!!! You are the "what are my chances" queen.....Good Job!!!!!!! :clap: :thumbup:

hey everyone! i'm pretty new to this, so here goes ...

these are the schools i'm interested in!

CCOM
LECOM (BOTH)
KCUMB
NYCOM
DMU
WVSOM
TOUR-CA
LMU-Debusk
PCOM (BOTH)
PCSOM-Pikeville
RVU-COM (??)
UNECOM (??)
UMDNJ-SOM (??)

the ones with ? marks, i could use some help with. for example, rocky vista is realllly new-- is that necessarily a bad/negative thing? also, i'm sure my GPA/MCAT (3.3 cum, 2.98 sci, 25P mcat) rules me out of some schools, and it would nice to know which ones i should not be spending my time on. if anyone knows which schools are REALLY in-state heavy, that would be helpful as well.

oh, and for your reference, in case you need more information: i have pretty excellent LORs (1 DO, 1 MD, 3 science profs and 2 nonscience profs) and hundreds of shadowing/volunteer hours at a private practice, a clinic and a hospital. i'm also extremely involved on campus.

thanks!!!!!!

Hi Diggin,
What state are you from? Some of the schools you mention do have a strong regional or state preference. From reading these boards, NYCOM has a strong preference for NY state applicants and seems to have different standards if you are out of state. Also with a 2.98 science GPA is it possible for you to take one or two science classes before or while applying to boost your GPA. As long as you don't have 160 credits or something like that in science like myself, you can probably get your GPA up that .02 required to get into other schools. Food for thought.

I'm pretty new here and I don't really know what's going on so bear with me.

My entire experience with SDN has been based on the allopathic route and it's really intimidating. Looking at a few of the threads in this pre osteopathic section it looks much easier. Is it true that you can really get into a school with like a 3.4/29??? that seems ridiculously low compared to MD schools.

I'm a new bio-chem major... I used to be a computer science major and at the beginning of the fall my GPA was a 2.0. Last semester I received a 4.0 with 15 credits which boosted my GPA to a 2.6 and this semester looks like another 4.0 with 16. One of my courses is a repeat of a an F so I expect my GPA to jump to at least a 3.0. I'm pretty determined and I don't see any reason why I won't finish the rest of my courses (60 more credits) with something like 3.8 - 4.0. So I guess my GPA is good...

I'm planning on taking the MCAT the summer after I graduate, (because I'm taking hardcore chem classes my senior year); I think I can score at least a 30.

My ec's should be alright by the time I graduate...

- I volunteer at local hospital 2 days a week
- plan on shadowing 3 particular physicians (one is a DO and adcom at PCOM)... how much time should I spend with each?
-I'm starting research half way through this summer...
-If nothing else I'm required to take 4 credits of research to graduate....
- I'm applying to an undergraduate research program (Monnell in Philadelphia)
- I also applied to a glorified research/volunteer program at cooper hospital NJ (AAP)

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything???? Will this get me into a DO school???

Also, I don't know much about the AACOMAS. This is just a DO application process right?? When should you do this??

Not many could make it as a ninja...

MOTIVninjas.jpg

Yeah, you can get in with a 3.4/29. 3.4 is around the average GPA for most schools and 29 is on the top end. I went to an open house at VCOM and they said that they value science GPA over the MCAT. I think this is the norm for most schools but not 100%, so keep your science GPA up. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your low GPA early in your college career. A lot of schools look more closely at what you did late in college (ie your last two years). When you are shadowing a DO, the most important thing is that they know that you are dedicated to osteopathic medicine, compassionate, will make a good physician, etc. That way they can write you an excellent letter. Your EC's look good. Do you have any leadership roles (adcoms love those)? AACOMAS is like AMCAS for MD schools. I think you can start filling it out in May. Check with individual schools to see when they start accepting applications. You want to turn it in as soon as possible. More info here https://aacomas.aacom.org/. I think that you have a good shot at getting in somewhere as long as you continue to pull your GPA up and do well on the MCAT. Check out this handbook. It has a lot of info on osteopathic med and info on individual schools http://www.aacom.org/resources/books...ts/cib2008.pdf. Hope that helps.

That's interesting, because that's exactly my GPA and MCAT and I'm applying now o_o

Since I don't want to leave any questions, I'll share my story:

Cgpa: 3.4
Sgpa: probably 3.10, but on ACOMAS, it'll be closer to 3.4 (Nutrition is science!)
MCAT: 29, but I took it 4 times :(

I'm a re-applicant and you can bet I did everything I could to make it possible this year. I got into the post-bac program at AZCOM so that'll be for the interview/glide year that I supposedly got.

I am using all new updated LORs including a DO letter, but the 3 letters I got were from the same evaluators. I just continued to work with them. PS got a huge makeover too, but I'm still not satisfied.

ECs? Just the usual volunteer, hospital ethics committee work, 1 research paper, another research project that I presented at some conference and of course the obscure student organizations.

I'm applying to TX schools due to in-state stuff and several MD and DO schools. I'm not going to take many chances this time. I hang out here mainly because I'm leaning more towards DO in the end, not to mention it is MUCH more relaxing to lurk and post in pre-osteo.

DO schools I have lined up are TCOM, PCOM, GA-PCOM, NSUCOM, AZCOM, and a few others. AZCOM has a linkage thing with their SMP so I'll look into that, since I don't plan on tanking that program. Suggestions for more? My main concern is my gpa (both) and my taking of the MCAT 4 times. I usually wasn't too worried about it, but I can see it being a factor.

I don't really have many questions YET...I'm sure there will be plenty to do in a month. I'm submitting as soon as the gates open so I can make up for at least 1 huge mistake last year.

Hi Diggin,
What state are you from? Some of the schools you mention do have a strong regional or state preference. From reading these boards, NYCOM has a strong preference for NY state applicants and seems to have different standards if you are out of state. Also with a 2.98 science GPA is it possible for you to take one or two science classes before or while applying to boost your GPA. As long as you don't have 160 credits or something like that in science like myself, you can probably get your GPA up that .02 required to get into other schools. Food for thought.

i'm from illinois, so ccom is definitely my top choice. my main concern is not being able to afford taking more classes in the next year; i already have tons of loans and am expected to be helping my parents out with finances, since we have a pretty large family and i'm the first to graduate college. a big part of my low-ish science gpa is that i've worked through all but one semester in college (10-20 hours a week). my overall is still a 3.3 and i think i will be retaking my mcat and hopefully scoring 27+. anyone who has gotten in or is a DO student: is it possible to get in with a low science gpa? also, keep in mind that i've taken 2 semesters of biochemistry and physical chemistry, so my classes are by no means the general/simple/basic sciences.

All the Touro's will tell you they have a 23 MCAT and 3.0 GPA cutoff for a secondary. Technically, schools will say they have cutoffs and they will give you a secondary, but never offer you an interview because you are not competitive enough (this was my case for most schools). Generally, a GPA of at least 2.75 -3.00 minimun is needed.

Check out these threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=454296&highlight=MCAT+cutoff

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450589&highlight=MCAT+cutoff&page=2

Good Luck! :luck:

awesome, your advice is definitely appreciated. so when you say you were in a similar boat, does that mean you had a similar science gpa to mine? and since you've been accepted, i'm hoping that means there's still hope for me too!

hey everyone!

I saw others doing it, so I feel the need now too...

GPA 3.3 ScGPA 3.0 MCAT practices 23, 24, 24 (hopefully the real one is higher)

Im also a University athlete which I hear is good

I have strong LOR and will hopefully get one from a DO this summer

My top choices as of now are PCOM-Ga and TCOM,

So what do ya'll think? Hopefully I have a shot? Especially anyone from those two schools?

Thanks!

awesome, your advice is definitely appreciated. so when you say you were in a similar boat, does that mean you had a similar science gpa to mine? and since you've been accepted, i'm hoping that means there's still hope for me too!

Yep, my overall was 3.3 and my science was 3.2. :thumbup: There is definitely hope for you. :luck:

MCAT practices 23, 24, 24 (hopefully the real one is higher)

In my experience, you should be scoring at least 20-25% higher on AAMC* practice tests (6 points higher if you're shooting for a 30) than what you hope to attain - and DO MANY practice tests. I've also read other posts on SDN supporting this assessment because one should always consider the circumstances surrounding actual test day - added pressure, difficulty, etcetera. Regardless, good luck!

is it possible to get in with a low science gpa? also, keep in mind that i've taken 2 semesters of biochemistry and physical chemistry, so my classes are by no means the general/simple/basic sciences.

Without a doubt but first and foremost, your MCAT needs to offset any deficiencies in your app, such as your science GPA. In addition, more advanced science coursework with good marks illustrating a strong upward trend in light of undergraduate setbacks is definitely beneficial. :thumbup: