~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there anyone on here who knows someone or is someone who has gotten into a DO school with a science GPA of below 3.0 (but a much higher non-science) and a decent mcat (25-27)??

i know there are a million other factors involved, but it would be nice to hear some success stories with these numbers. like i've mentioned before, i am confident in my LORs, extra curriculars, and dedication to the osteopathic philosophy. i just want to know that these things will all be considered and that schools will actually look at the fact that i've worked throughout my 4 yrs of undergrad (save one semester) due to financial necessity.
go to the mdapplicants website (mdapplicants.com i think)

but yeah, it's possible. anything's possible!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I want to apply to a few D.O. schools, but am not sure where to apply. I'm thinking between 3-5. I'm a NYS resident. These are my stats...

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10201

Any of the schools have better reputations than others?? Don't know a whole lot about the Osteopathic schools. I'm gonna start checking them out, but any help would be great. Thanks.

Jeff

Apply to NYCOM for sure. They have a big in-state preference. PCOM in Philly and UMDNJ in Jersey also have good reputations.

Touro-NY in Harlem is new, but looks to have some promise.

LECOM is up in the northeast as well, and they're starting to develop a good reputation for themselves. If you want to live in a smaller town, this might not be a bad option.

And, of course, GA-PCOM is the greatest medical school on the face of the earth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to NYCOM for sure. They have a big in-state preference. PCOM in Philly and UMDNJ in Jersey also have good reputations.

Touro-NY in Harlem is new, but looks to have some promise.

LECOM is up in the northeast as well, and they're starting to develop a good reputation for themselves. If you want to live in a smaller town, this might not be a bad option.

And, of course, GA-PCOM is the greatest medical school on the face of the earth.
If by face of the Earth, you mean the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta...just messin, I lived like 10 minutes from the school for a few years, parents still live there off of Lawrenceville-Suwanee road...

Based on the geographic regions you applied to allo, I would recommend checking out NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM, UNECOM, VCOM, OUCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, DMU

Hey guys,

I want to apply to a few D.O. schools, but am not sure where to apply. I'm thinking between 3-5. I'm a NYS resident. These are my stats...

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10201

Any of the schools have better reputations than others?? Don't know a whole lot about the Osteopathic schools. I'm gonna start checking them out, but any help would be great. Thanks.

Jeff

one thing to also consider is that DO schools can vary a lot in terms of their focus: some favor research, others are exclusively primary care, some have strong connections with local hospitals for rotations, while others have rotation sites that are out-of-state. consider how those line up with your goals as well. good luck!

My Science GPA is barely above 3.0. I did poorly in a couple of my pre-med courses, but got A's and B's the second time around.

I will be starting a masters in physiology this fall along with retaking the MCAT. I am shooting at high 20's/low 30's. Provided that I do well on my master, will I have a chance at a DO school (esp. WU)?

Based on the geographic regions you applied to allo, I would recommend checking out NYCOM, PCOM, LECOM, UNECOM, VCOM, OUCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM, DMU

I would suggest UMDNJ too.

What do you guys think of my chances?
no mcat yet hoping to score around 25-28
Pre req gpa 3.0
Gen chem 1 B
Gen chem 2 C
O chem 1 C
O chem 2 A
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 A
Bio1 A
Bio2 B
Upper science gpa 3.1-3.2
Biochem 1 B
Molecular bio B
cell phys B
Immunology C/b don't know yet
microbiology B
anatomy B
physiology B
Genetics B
Embryo IP
Volunteered at a hospital 40 hours
Shadowed an MD for 60 hours
work study braille institute 500 hours

Hi, I am a junior(undergrad-major bio), I don't think I will get in to osteopathic medical school, I had a 3.6 GPA with a downward trend, now its ~3.2 both cumulative and science, my question is if when I apply to DO medical schools and don't get in, what are some other options that I have. Should I also apply to SMP(special masters programs) offered by the DO medical schools? what are the nature of these programs, I have done a search, but there doesn't seem to be that much information on it, I'm panicking guys..PLEASE HELP :eek:

My GPA was under 3.2 and I got 3 interview invites and was accepted to both of the schools where I interviewed. I also had a very strong MCAT though, so be sure to rock that MCAT and take a look at getting some good EC's and LOR's. Also, your GPA may have a downward trend so far, but you still have a year to turn that around!

By the way, this will probably be moved to the Pre-Osteopathic Board

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you get a 24 on the MCAT & your GPA doesn't drop much lower, you shouldn't have a problem getting into a DO program somewhere. I know a guy who had a 2.9 and a 16 MCAT who had offers from 3 carribean schools (including Ross & St. George). So you can gain admission to med school and eventually become a physician. No need to panic, you'll be okay.

I would suggest applying to LECOM. They are opening a 3rd campus for 2009. LECOM is a tough school once you are there (I'm almost done with my 1st year in Erie), but it's not hard to get into (MCAT cutoff is 22, but you'll probably need a 24 to get in). The masters degree programs at DO schools are a good default which should get you another shot at admission, but it will cost you 2 years.

i have a few very random questions, mainly for those already accepted/already in DO schools:

1. how many people, if at all, drop out after the first yr or so? i only ask b/c while i know DO stats may be lenient in terms of admissions (some schools anyway), i also know that all of them have great curricula and maintain a challenging atmosphere. does this happen at all?

2. are there any DO schools that care heavily about knowing people/having relatives associated with their schools? i pretty much have zero connections to any medical schools, except friends, but that doesn't really count and it's so frustrating to see 2-3 questions asking for who you know thats affiliated with a school when you have nothing to put down!

3. i've been hearing a lot about how the admissions process is a numbers game, where gpa/mcat/hours of service/rank of university all go into some computer system that ranks you. is this true??

For the record, I had a 3.17 GPA during Junior year and was very negative about possibly getting into a DO or MD school. Busted my *** with Kaplan's class and ended up getting a 32 on the real thing. In the meantime did some shadowing, some student gov't, and some volunteering as well as some extra classwork to bring up the GPA to a 3.25ish.

I'm at PCOM now and couldn't be more satisfied, although med school is certainly a beast to say the least ;)

Point is, it's never too late to start busting your ***. Good luck and PM me if you have any specific questions. Look at the MCAT as a chance for redemption and you will succeed.

Here are my specs:

-English major from Villanova University
-3.63 overall
~3.45 science
-shadowed an internist [MD] for nearly 60 hours
-shadowed an anesthesiologist [DO] for a brief time
-shadowed a urologist [MD] for a brief time
-volunteered in hospice
-tutored underprivileged 3rd-6th graders in west philadelphia for a year in math
-work as an orderly (Nursing Assistant I) in surgery --- waiting for expected promotion to NA II at hospital

Having written papers for 4 years, I feel that my PS is strong and flowing.

I take the MCAT at the end of May 2008, though my practice tests never yield more than a 20. While OSU and OU say that 21 is the minimum, is any ever accepted with a score below the minimum?

I really want to go to OSU-COM (I am a resident of Oklahoma).

Should I even apply this year? I graduated in 2007, and if I don't apply this year, then I'll have to bite the bullet and wait until August 2010 entry.

You will need a stronger mcat than that...

Your thread will be relocated to the "what are my chances" thread.

For the record, you've secured strong stats but you'll need the MCAT for a slightly more accurate assessment. I have always been under the impression that one should score 20-25% higher on practice tests to offset the stress and added difficulties of test day; apparently, a number of adcom deans agree with that number.

Hit those practice tests hard and frequently - especially AAMC and more difficult versions like Kaplan and TPR. Do any and all you can get your hands on. I'd also rely on topic repetition as is found in the EK 1001 series. :thumbup:

:luck:

You should not settle for anything lower than an 8 in any of the sections.

Hi all,

I'd like to know what my chances are in getting into NYCOM or Touro. I have a 2.9 GPA, 3.74 Sci GPA (after 4 retakes) and a 25M on the MCAT. Should I take MCAT again? Thanks!

Do you think I can improve my application if I retake the MCAT this August or is my current stat 'just good enough to slide in'?

Tough to say. I think you've got a good enough chance to make it worth applying. What does the rest of your application look like?

I really don't know what to write about myself...

1) I graduated in 2006 with a B.S.
2) Been working as clinical embryologist since 2006
3) Took the MCAT in 2007
4) Grew up socioenconomically disadvantaged
5) I'm old! (29 yrs old)

Hope that helps.

Letters of rec? Clinical experience with patient contact? Letter from a DO? What is your grade trend? That is, did you start off slowly and finish strong?

Since you are really specific about where you want to go, this is what I would do:

1) retake a class you did poorly in to bring that total GPA up to a 3.0. This would probably be only one or two classes in your case. AACOMAS replaces grades when calculating GPA, so it's as if you never got the bad grade in the first place.

2) consider retaking the MCAT. I know it's the most horrible experience of your life, but I think the average for TOURO-NYC was a 26 for the 2011 class and I suspect it will be higher for the class of 2012. (I was accepted with a 28). You probably want to have their average to remain competitive.

I had a 3.2 overall GPA, 3.5 science GPA and a 28 MCAT and heard nothing from NYCOM. I also didn't submit my application until November. If I could do it over, I would have gotten my app in 3-5 months earlier.

Congratulations on your science GPA. That's quite an accomplishment. Good luck to you.

if you are in state, then you have a shot with nycom. If your OOS, then your chances are bleak. I am not sure if touro has 3.0 gpa minimum cutoff, so i would call them. They have 24 mcat cutoff , so that helps since you pass that requirement. The mcat is not the worst part of your application. It is your gpa. I would try to take a couple of non science summer ( since your science gpa is nice) course if you can of something your interested in and get your gpa above 3.0. If you hit the 3.0 mark then you slide pass a lot pre screening rejections. Plus for example a 3.0 looks a lot better than 2.90, even though there is not a huge difference. If you are sure you can do better then take it. The worse thing you can do is have a lower mcat score. You should be scoring 28-30 consistently, because on test day you can go down and do not want get something like 22-23 ish range. hope this helps.

Thank you all for the replies! I will most definitely retake the MCAT and try to hit a 30+. It's tough working a full time job, supporting a family and studying for the MCAT at the same time. :(

Woah! I never thought about retaking my non-science courses. Thank you for reminding me! :thumbup: Now I hope I can find evening courses....

Alright guys... its time.. AACOMAS is open and as I fill it out I need help on deciding on which school to apply. Due to limited funds I will only be able to afford 10 primaries for DO schools. Only MD schools I am applying to are all the ones in state (Florida ) and 2 out of state becuase of family near by.

In any case Here are my stats:

Science GPA :3.52
Non Science: 3.38
Overall :3.44

I have not taken the MCAT yet but have taken 3 practice tests with my average being 31. HOpefully the real test will be similar in results. I graduated with honors from Environmental engineering. Currently doing a post bac with 9 credits so far and a 4.0. I have ~115 hours of clinical volunteering at a free clinic. ~480 volunteer hours as a soccer coach for local youth. ~160 hrs of tutoring through differnt organizations. I have participated in a bunch of diff volunteer activities but most of them have been enviornmental cleanups and science fairs- stuff like that which I don tknow if they like. Couple of scholarships. Won first place for my senior student design at states and 2nd at the national competition. Worked as an engineering intern for 4 months and as a reaserch assistant through work study for 1.5 years at my alma mater. Member of differnt organizations both premed and non premed. Officer for one of the non premed for 2 yrs. Intramurals and local sports leagues and... thats bout most of it i think. I have shadowed 2 doctors. Both family doctors. One in a private setting and the other at the free clinic I volunteer at. I have dont about 15 hours with each of them.

In any case.. I know I want to apply to PCOM, NOVA, CCOM, DMU,UNDMJ, VCOM. Do you guys think that with my stats I will have a decent shot at these places. I cant help but feel like I just dont stand out enough or that my non science GPA is going to kill me. any other suggestions on school that are friendly to OOS to fill up my 10?

whats the rule on re taking MCAT...how long do you have to wait? i take first time May 27th. if i do poorly, and I need to retake...when is the earliest i can do that? will my app be on hold until my 2nd scores come in? i am already working on AACOMAS and have a rough draft personal statement. LORs are all in the process of being written and i've requested transcripts. pretty much only thing left to do is MCAT and finalize personal statement.

i'm doing my best to apply as early as humanly possible, but im worried my MCAT will suffer b/c of it. my GPA is really high, so im hoping that will make up for it for the DO schools.... what do you guys think?

apply early w/ possible poor MCAT score? or take MCAT in august and apply "late" with high GPA?

whats the rule on re taking MCAT...how long do you have to wait? i take first time May 27th. if i do poorly, and I need to retake...when is the earliest i can do that? will my app be on hold until my 2nd scores come in? i am already working on AACOMAS and have a rough draft personal statement. LORs are all in the process of being written and i've requested transcripts. pretty much only thing left to do is MCAT and finalize personal statement.

i'm doing my best to apply as early as humanly possible, but im worried my MCAT will suffer b/c of it. my GPA is really high, so im hoping that will make up for it for the DO schools.... what do you guys think?

apply early w/ possible poor MCAT score? or take MCAT in august and apply "late" with high GPA?

There is no rule. You can take it whenever you want, but you can't be registered for two test dates at once (that's the only "rule").

If you tell schools that you are retaking the MCAT they will put your application on hold until your new score comes in. If you don't tell them, they will review your application as is.

I was complete in late september and I don't think that was considered late. :thumbup: Work on secondaries while you're waiting for your MCAT score. (you can find the essay prompts for most secondaries here on SDN if you do a search).

BTW, what is this "poor" MCAT score you speak of? I need to know your score in order to answer your question about when to apply. You can PM me if you want.

Wow, I can't believe I'm finally applying. Here is my obligatory "what are my chances" post:

Grand Valley State University
Biomedical Science Major
3.44 non-science
3.17 science
3.31 overall

Dean's List x2

MCAT: ?? (I am taking it on 5/31)

Relevant Employment:

4 years of "nurse-aide" type work with chronically mentally/physically ill adults. (20 hrs/week)

EC:

-volunteered in a daycare for a local non-profit that provides housing and job-assistance to homeless, battered women with children. (40hrs)

-emergency dept. aide for MetroHealth, a local osteopathic teaching hospital (50hrs)

-observed/assisted in research project which seeks to study how blood vessels respond to androgens. (15hrs)

-coordinated activities for families and children during a campus "Family/Siblings" day (16hrs)

-shadowed/observed a general surgeon in the operating room. Observed laparoscopic cholesystectomies, Nissen fundiplications, needle biopsies, lumpectomies, and hemorrhoid/polyp removals.

-radio DJ for student radio station

-active member of a student organization which seeks to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and structural violence.

-worked on a week-long spring break project in the poor inner city areas of Baltimore. We basically cleaned out abandoned crack houses so that they could be remodeled for moderately-low income families.

-shadowed Kent County Medical Examiner

-In the Fall/Winter of next school year, I will be working on a physical/forensic anthropology research project at the Smithsonian and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

Other:

I am 28, so I am a bit older than the average applicant

My college career has had a lot of repeated courses, I started out a very bad student, but I worked hard to bring myself out of the mud.

I was in the USMC very briefly. I injured myself in training and was placed in charge (along with about 6-7 other Marines) of a platoon of 75-100 recruits who were awaiting discharge for reasons such as testing positive for drugs, psychiatric illness, criminal history, etc. In addition to administrative and supervisory duties, I provided counsel and support to young men who were going through emotionally difficult times. For example, I spoke with recruits who were dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts, coping with feelings of failure and hopelessness, dealing with the notion of returning home to non-supportive and/or abusive families, and coping with coming out as homosexual and the emotional/social consequences of doing so.

I've attended a presentation on OMM by Dr. Laura Tinning.

I've participated in informal student study sessions in the OMM lab of MSUCOM

I am thinking I may apply only DO, except for my state schools

I am a Michigan resident and my girlfriend goes to MSUCOM, and I'd really like to get in there as well.

My school list would be:

MSUCOM
CCOM
PCOM
NYCOM
KCOM
KCUMB-COM
UNECOM
DMUCOM
UMDNJ-SOM

Possible MD schools would be:
MSUCHM
U of M (long shot)
Wayne (gave no love to my best friend, or my girlfriend, so I don't know)

University of Utah
Economics Major '01
Biology Major or Minor '09
Chemistry Minor '09

3.1 non-science
3.60 science

Dean's List twice while doing science prereq's

MCAT: 24S 9v, 8p, 7bs

Relevant Employment:

1 yr worked as a clerk for a prominent cancer hospital
several years in the US navy

EC:

300 hours volunteer work (across 3 years) as an officer for a non-medical service organization

I'm 32 now with a family, worked part or full-time all through school.

I was hoping to apply in the 2009 cycle for DO schools, but with the MCAT score I just got back it looks like a retake at least. Also, I dont have any research, how strongly do DO schools want research. I have one year in a non-science masters program, and will have another year of taking upper division science credits, but most of this will be unseen in my primary to the schools.

Would appreciate your evaluation, and advice on improving the bs score for an MCAT retake.

Main schools I am interested in:

LECOM Bradenton
LECOM Erie
DMU
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
LMU
Nova
OSU
OU
Pikeville
VCOM

Copy Pasted from MDapps profile.

Undergraduate Institution: University of Texas at Austin
Area of Study:psychology/Social Sciences

Application Year: 2009
MCAT Score: VR 9, PS 8, BS 9, Q
BCPM GPA: 3.21
Overall GPA: 3.41

Brief Profile:
---Extra-Curricular Activities
University Rifle Club - Competitor (competed in one NCAA tournament @ Texas A&M) (4 year member, competitor in 1 semester)
Dead Poets Society (2 years)
UTeach - Science Teacher for Elementary School (1 semester)
American Medical Student Association (2 years)
Alpha Phi Sigma - Premedical Honors (2 years)
Health Occupation Students of America - Member, Public Relations (2 years)
Texas Students Psychological Association - Member, Secretary, President (3 years)
Psi Chi - Psychology Honors
Pre-Osteopathic Medical Society - Webmaster (2 years)
Intramural Football – Taiwanese International Student Association (1 semester)
UT Leadership Board (1 year)

---Volunteer Work
Austin State Hospital - Psychiatric Hospital - Volunteer (2-3 years)
Texas Osteopathic Medical Association - Volunteer (2-3 years)
Memorial Medical Center - Volunteer (1 Summer)
LOTS of misc. work from the organizations listed above

---Research Work:
Social Psychology Lab - fMRI Study (I had lots of exposure to the MRI) (1 year)
Pediatric Neurology Lab @ Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, UK (Study Abroad program) - (1 summer)

---Clinical Experience
Medical Mission in Yucatan, Mexico - provided free acute health care in underserved communities (1 Spring Break)
Shadowed a pediatric neurology medical team @ Great Ormond Street Hospital prior to research work
Shadowed Osteopaths at the British College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) - London, UK
Shadowed physicians in Neurology, PM&R, Psychiatry, Radiology, & Family Practice (DO)

----Conferences
NYLF – National Youth Leadership Forum – Medicine – Houston, TX (High School)
UTMB Premedical Conference
51st Mid-Winter Conference - TX Osteopathic Med. Association

---Employment
Photo Restoration Assistant – Roseate Spoonbill Gallery (1 summer)

---Hobbies/Interests
PC Hardware, Marksmanship, Outdoors, Fishing, Travel, Psychology/Philosophy
Active in online gaming community:
Won several tournaments
Hosted tournaments
Founded game-modifications
Founded online school
Author on international community website

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and I had a couple of questions. I had all C's in my general biology and general chemistry at my school in UCSD. Can I retake those classes at the same college, or would I have to take it at a state college to raise my science GPA for DO school? Or could I retake them at a community college?

Hi
i was wondering what my chances are, esp at des moines and ccom...

i got a 26R
8 PS 10V 8 BS
i have a 3.93 overall and 3.9 sciece gpa.
i have over 130 hours shadowing docors
50 hours ata hospital
tutored chem
taught sunday school for 5 years
been doing research 1.5 yrs, have over 450 hours, 2 diff projects
have one great letter from a bunch of teachers, and hopefully another really great LOR

what are my chances? and should i retake?

Great chance at DO or MD school if you can bring up your MCAT score 3 points. I would study hardcore for 3 months and retake.

I will be a first time applicant (DO) this cycle and would love to get some feedback:

My stats aren't too great :( ... but other areas of my application are stronger... hopefully they'll pull me up a little bit... hehe

Sci gpa: 3.2 with strong upward trend (currently taking post-bac classes with straight A's)
Cum gpa: 3.4
Nonsci: 3.8
MCAT (April 2008): 26Q (11B/9P/6V) <--- not great, but an improvement from my dreadful September 2007 score of 20Q :(

Lots of EC's, including:
-3 research labs (including one in a biotech company); 2 conferences, 3 abstract publications, 2 manuscripts
-medical missions (e.g. Central America, Africa)
-a couple hundred volunteer hours (including shadowing with DO)
-campus fraternities and community service organizations

My questions is... do you think I should retake the MCAT? I've been scoring in the low 30's on most practice tests, but my score apparently suffers drastically under real test conditions... and it's also really hard for me to improve on Verbal... do you think my 26, combined with my crappy gpa will give me a good chance at DO schools?

Thanks guys! :)

Just to save time, everybody on this page has a pretty good shot.

MD Apps is under my avatar, taking August MCAT, average gpa. im getting 2 strong LORs from clinical profs at the MSU medical schools. any thoughts?

I just finshed calculating my gpa after 220 college hours I have a science GPA of 3.05 and a cum of 3.2. Im a prior medic any shot in hell of getting in?

I just finshed calculating my gpa after 220 college hours I have a science GPA of 3.05 and a cum of 3.2. Im a prior medic any shot in hell of getting in?

Absolutely, try your best to kill MCAT and get everything done ASAP

I didn't see a thread for 08-09, so I thought I'd start one....

Okay, I'm not sure if I should apply this year or next year.

This Year
I have all my LOR ready
I'm moving in June
My MCAT diagnostic is poor (MCAT Sch 5/27)
No money (I'd get a loan)
I'd have to take a full course load to graduate by May of 09

Next Year
I could strengthen/get better LOR -
I won't be moving (less stress)
I can drastically improve MCAT
I could possibly save money instead of taking out a loan.
I would have extra time to complete BS

I'm torn between applying this year vs. next. Stats could be better(3.1 Cum GPA Sci 3.0), therefore I need a good score. Took kaplan diagnostic - scored very low. When I first scheduled for the MCAT I was 2 months away. I never thought, especially being a Bio major after taking all of my prerequisites consecutively that I would of scored so low. And when I say LOW, I mean LOW.:(

Right now I've also got this additional stress (family) going on and have not been able to dedicate enough time to prepare.

Should I apply this year and reschedule MCAT for a July date or should I get my refund of $100.00 and wait til next year?

What's killin me is that I was all set to apply June 1st until I received this score.

Ugh, I should have started preparing in January.

I know that only I can really answer this question but I'm hoping that maybe someone could shed some advice, words of wisdom, a different light

Are these reasons valid, or am I wimping out? I don't know...

Realistically, I think I should wait a year, but I don't want to.... ugh

I am in almost same boat, 3.45 cum GPA with 3.1 science but need 1 year more to finish BS but as you, I dont want to wait:( Plus I dont have any money to waste on taking MCAT this year since it could be a waste, so do you plan on applying to schools with or without BS? Cause im still trying to figure what to do.

Hello everyone,
Just wanted some insight on some good schools to apply to/overall advice:

My profile: (I'm a bit of a Non-traditional)

B.S. Biology with an emphasis in Neurobiology, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2005) (rough freshman/soph. year started @ ~2.65 but have positive upward trend and received ~3.5+ my senior semesters)

Research Intern as post-grad job, 2005-2007. UW-Madison Dept. of Zoology (Several Neurobiology research projects)

Student Medical Assistant at the Student Health Clinic (Taking histories/vitals)
Volunteer in Neurosurgery ICU/Unit.
Volunteer Medical Assistant @ Free Clinic (many hours)
Many hours shadowing MD's and DO
3 years UW Marching Band, Trumpet
Jazz Pianist
Various Intramural sports

Started taking Post-bacc. courses Spring 2007-present ( 3 semesters full-time @ UW-Madison all upper level/advanced Medical Microbiology and Immunology, and Neurobiology. ~35 hours total of post-bacc, 3.5+ GPA (current semester 3.9 expected)

Plugged into ACCOMAS: (It doesnt look as good b/c I have so many hours already!)

Hopefully upward trend/recent post bacc success will help...

3.24 Non-science
3.02 Science
3.10 Cumulative

Took Sept. 07 MCAT and ended up with 22R (nightmare experience didn't take as many practice tests as I should have)
Planning on retaking June 13th (hoping for as high as possible 26+)

I have great LORs... I have hoping that I will improve on the MCAT retake and that my experiences and non-trad might help...

Any thoughts? Are there any schools that lean towards non-traditionals with clinical and research experience?

Also, when retaking the MCAT should I only take practice AAMC online tests or would taking paper pencil exams also be beneficial?

Many Thanks! Good luck to everyone else...

I was wondering if need to report a past MD acceptance I have one from 2003. my profile was failry weak and i rushed into my apps. the only school i got into is the 2nd most expensive med school in the country. i could nto afford to go. i have spent the last 3 years working, saving money, and improving my stats and ec's.

I have e-mailed aacomas but i have not received a response yet. i am assuming med school admissions offices talk to each other, is that true? I just feel that my reason (financial) for turning down the admit will turn off the schools. Another major reason i turned the school down is i want to go to a DO school preferably.

any tips on how I could explain myself on the aacomas app well, let me know.

I was wondering if need to report a past MD acceptance I have one from 2003. my profile was failry weak and i rushed into my apps. the only school i got into is the 2nd most expensive med school in the country. i could nto afford to go. i have spent the last 3 years working, saving money, and improving my stats and ec's.

I have e-mailed aacomas but i have not received a response yet. i am assuming med school admissions offices talk to each other, is that true? I just feel that my reason (financial) for turning down the admit will turn off the schools. Another major reason i turned the school down is i want to go to a DO school preferably.

any tips on how I could explain myself on the aacomas app well, let me know.

It shouldnt look bad, and i dont think you have to tell them unless you matriculated and took classes. If you withdrew before classes started then its fine. All you need to do is probably take the mcat over because it is only good for 3 years