2008 Tmdsas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone receive an email today from UTHSCSA regarding their application status?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you interview at uthscsa?

For those pre-dents heading to San Antonio, I'd like to offer you a few tips.

1. Try your best to test out of biochem. It will make your first semester so much easier. I heard the same advice last year and didn't listen and I regret it. Study a biochem textbook if you can now and as soon as you get your laptop, study the biochem manual which is a condensed (less than 400 pages) biochem book that the test is based on. I think we had around two weeks in class before they offered the biochem test. The professor will also give you access to three years worth of old tests on the biochem website. I suggest that you take the old tests and review the topics that you are weak on because you'll find repeated topics (not exact questions) from old tests to new tests. Testing out of biochem will save you a ton of time and allow you to do a better job in your other tough classes. btw, if you know a student at UTHSCSA, ask them if they will let you borrow biochem study materials between now and then.

2. Get your parking tag early (they'll send a letter letting you know the first day that you can get one) and ask to be on the waiting list for Zone 3. It's a fairly decent lot and plenty of classmates moved in to it as early as September.

3. Start studying hard from day one. Most of you already know this, but some people have to get an F on a test to get it, and by then you are so far behind in studying that it is difficult to catch up. The first 5 weeks or so are very laid back. This is the time that you need to be going home and studying histology and gross anatomy (and biochem if you have to take it) as much as possible. If you kick butt in gross in the fall, it makes the spring semester easier because you won't be stressed out by the 4th part of the course in January, which can cause you to get behind in spring classes.

A correction to what aggie-master said above...

Supposedly the gross course will end in the fall now, and the 4th part of the class in the spring (neuroanatomy) is going to be a separate course.

1. Try your best to test out of biochem. It will make your first semester so much easier. I heard the same advice last year and didn't listen and I regret it. Study a biochem textbook if you can now and as soon as you get your laptop, study the biochem manual which is a condensed (less than 400 pages) biochem book that the test is based on. I think we had around two weeks in class before they offered the biochem test. The professor will also give you access to three years worth of old tests on the biochem website. I suggest that you take the old tests and review the topics that you are weak on because you'll find repeated topics (not exact questions) from old tests to new tests. Testing out of biochem will save you a ton of time and allow you to do a better job in your other tough classes. btw, if you know a student at UTHSCSA, ask them if they will let you borrow biochem study materials between now and then.

quote]

Anyone know if baylor does this

Yah..It said I should be expecting a letter from UTHSCSA d-school very soon. I'm assuming it contains good news.

Interesting. Would you mind posting it or sending it in a PM to me?

quote]

Anyone know if baylor does this

They haven't in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the email as well. Not sure if the letter will be a "good" one, so to speak. (I'm cautiously optimistic, but don't want to let myself get too psyched, only to be trounced by a rejection.) It didn't arrive in today's mail, so I'll have to wait it out a bit longer ...

I don't mean to ruin the surprise but if you got the email I did, then you should be more than optimistic for the letter. I got my letter today...it contains good news!

Just an FYI to all attending UTHSCSA next fall. I got into Baylor and wife will be graduating in from UTHSCSA May. Therefore we will be renting out our house. It's 5 min from campus. Anyway I'll post an ad in the classifieds section when we get the details sorted out. I'll give you a heads up at that time.

I don't mean to ruin the surprise but if you got the email I did, then you should be more than optimistic for the letter. I got my letter today...it contains good news!

so that means you are giving up a spot at Baylor :D?

I have a quick question guys: did any of you guys apply to only 1 TX dental school and got in? UT Houston is the only dental school that I want to go... and I'm thinking about applying to that school, only. My GPA is high.. and my extracurricular activities aren't bad either. I'm also a Texas resident... If I took DAT and got really high scores on that, do you think I will get in?

I have a quick question guys: did any of you guys apply to only 1 TX dental school and got in? UT Houston is the only dental school that I want to go... and I'm thinking about applying to that school, only. My GPA is high.. and my extracurricular activities aren't bad either. I'm also a Texas resident... If I took DAT and got really high scores on that, do you think I will get in?

To be honest with you, there is no definite way of knowing if you'll get in to a specific school or not based on one's stats. I applied only to the 3 schools here in TX and was accepted at both SA and Baylor. Houston didn't even offer me an interview, and my stats were decent enough to get me in to the other 2 schools. Also, there are stories of people having great stats and don't get in to any TX schools. My point is, there is no real way of knowing what a school is looking for. So my advice would be to apply to all school in TX (plus out of state ones if you're up to it) and increase your chances of getting in somewhere. It can't hurt you. Best of luck.

I applied to only Houston and got in. There is also one other person in my class that did the same. I would suggest explaining why you want Houston so much in your personal statement.

has everyone finished their fafsa?
I just finished mine today since we have til the 14th at Baylor. I hope there are no problems with it though.

has everyone finished their fafsa?
I just finished mine today since we have til the 14th at Baylor. I hope there are no problems with it though.

Did you fill a tax return? If so you may want to call the FA office at Baylor b/c they sent me a request by mail for a signed copy of my return. It came about 2-3 weeks after my FAFSA was filled. Anyway an FYI..

I applied to only Houston and got in. There is also one other person in my class that did the same. I would suggest explaining why you want Houston so much in your personal statement.

Wow. Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm trying to imagine how one could get away with such a risky move.

3.77 GPA 3.76 SGPA TS 20 AA 21 PA 20. Engineering undergrad major.

dude, calm down. it's not like the guy's holding a gun to anyone's head and saying "YOU MUST RENT MY HOUSE AND YOU MUST PAY ME THIS MUCH". if he can find someone willing to pay that much, more power to him; the renter will think he/she is getting a good deal, or else they'd look elsewhere. if the guy can't find a renter, then he'll do what everyone else does in his shoes and lower the asking price.

i think what would be more crazy is if someone paid that much without doing their own research and looking into other options. if someone sees a house for rent on the internet and doesn't look into the neighborhood/comparison shop/whatever, perhaps they deserve to be ripped off (not saying they would be, as i know nothing about property in San Antonio).

I am sorry, but unless someone just had to have a house that had to be a few minutes walk from the school they'd be crazy to pay what you are asking. I am familiar with Eagle Valley homes there in SA and the aproximate costs of building as my wife and I almost bought an Eagle Valley home. With all the costs that come with owning a home - mortgage, insurance, taxes, upkeep - it doesn't come close to $1600 unless you paid too much for the home or got a crappy mortgage rate. I pay $1690 for a 4/2/2 house 1000 sqft larger where the property taxes are ~$2000 more per year than you pay and I live in a hurricane zoned county which makes me pay around $1500 more per year on insurance to cover hurricanes and tornados. I had a house that was very comparable to yours in SA on a lot 80% larger than yours and I only paid $1100 per month for everything. Where do you get your $1600/mo figure? Are you taking advantage of the closeness?

For anyone who wants added details on the house, here is more info:

http://www.bcad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?prop_id=991917

You live here right so you know exactly what the leasing prices are in this neighborhood. I don't need to defend our leasing price to you unless your interested in leasing it. Get over yourself.

Most apartments in the medical center area are renting for ~.94 per sq ft. We are asking $1 per sq ft for more area and no apartment living hassles & it as and close to campus as any apartment.

Examples
Mission Ranch:
2 bedroom 979 sq ft rents for $1040--> .94 per sq ft
Dominion Park:
2 bedroom 945 sq ft rents for $1001--> .94 per sq ft
Fountain Head:
2 bedroom 624 sq ft rents for $620--> .99 per sq ft

I don't think asking a $1 per sq ft is so outrageous.

What is boils down to is how you want to live. Do you want to live in an apartment or find a roommate and live in a quite more spacious house?

Plus, I wasn't talking to you anyway DUDE.

maybe you should go hang out on the pharmacy board and see if anyone can write you a prescription for a chill pill.

:D:D

JUST KIDDING.

One more question, you say no apartment hassles. All of us who have lived in apartment complexes at one point or another know that complexes can be noisy from time to time. There is a fairly decent sized apartment complex behind your neighbors' houses. Also, there is a tennis court in the complex that is 100-150 feet from the left side of your house. Don't tell me you cannot hear people playing tennis there. That is still a hassle of an apartment complex that you have to deal with living in this location.

Dude, we get the point. Drop it.

I also think it is important to keep in mind that many students live with roommates while they are in school. Maybe $1600 is asking a bit much, I don't know. Best-case scenario, 3 students live in the home, and brings the rent down to $533/person, which is pretty comparable (if not cheaper) than most apartments. Granted, having 3 roommates would all depend on the sizes of the rooms as well, because I know a lot people aren't going to want to spend the same amount or more than they currently are spending on a room that is smaller. I think if I decided to rent the home, I would probably try and bring the price down a bit, but that's because I would probably only have 1 roommate. I would imagine prices are negotiable.

I am familiar with the area as well. I have lived in San Antonio for 4.5 years. I have friends who live in the same subdivision. Yes, they are not paying as much, but it isn't as big of a difference as you make it appear.

On another note, I know many SDNers have appreciated your opinions and advice, but the discussion needs to end here. I know you had good intentions trying to inform students about the housing market, etc. But you need to chill out.

I'm not taking sides but just to give an example, I pay under $1200 a month for a 3/2.5/2 2200 sq ft house on a cul de sac road in a decent neighborhood not much further from campus than the house in question. I have a 10 minute commute.

I would recommend putting a lot of time and effort into finding a place to buy or rent and in doing that you'll probably find the best deal for you. Make sure that you check places out physically before you even think about signing a lease. I remember seeing a lot of houses that looked nice in the picture only to end up going to a house in a crappy looking neighborhood.

Hey! Incoming baylor students! Have any of you received your financial aid package yet? Do you know when we are supposed to get it? I'm sitting here about to mail in all those forms that are due on the 23rd.
Thanks

Has anyone been put on the alternate list at Baylor??

Waitlist, in case someone drops out between now and the start of school

svlosich, I PM'ed you.