2008: Who is spending time reviewing Year 1 Physio, Pharm and other stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acpl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reviewing Physio and especially pharm from the Kaplan lectures and then going through First Aid before year 2 starts. I have heard there is a lot of repetition during second year Organ Systems of physio and pharm. However, I am slow and need more repetitions than most people. Is anyone else doing some review? What resources are you using?

Members don't see this ad.

I just took my step 1 and did very well (260+). I'm also the kind of person who needs a lot of repetition, but I really wouldn't worry too much about reviewing during summer after first year...you really need the break at this point because second year can be killer.

I reviewed material from first year as I went through second year. For example, if we were learning about pulmonary path/clinical medicine, I would review pulmonary physio from first year, usually just by reading the appropriate chapter in BRS Physio. I would also do some anatomy for the organ system we were currently working on. The material really sinks in if you review it while learning about the disease processes during second year. I'd say that second year is when I really learned physio and anatomy.

In summary, take this last month of your summer off and enjoy it, since it's the last one you'll ever get. Do something fun so that you can preserve your sanity for second year (and third year, fourth year, residency, fellowship...).

I just took my step 1 and did very well (260+). I'm also the kind of person who needs a lot of repetition, but I really wouldn't worry too much about reviewing during summer after first year...you really need the break at this point because second year can be killer.

I reviewed material from first year as I went through second year. For example, if we were learning about pulmonary path/clinical medicine, I would review pulmonary physio from first year, usually just by reading the appropriate chapter in BRS Physio. I would also do some anatomy for the organ system we were currently working on. The material really sinks in if you review it while learning about the disease processes during second year. I'd say that second year is when I really learned physio and anatomy.

In summary, take this last month of your summer off and enjoy it, since it's the last one you'll ever get. Do something fun so that you can preserve your sanity for second year (and third year, fourth year, residency, fellowship...).

i scored in the same range as spiff and I 100% agree with his approach. A lot of doing well on the boards is killing 2nd year. review your first year stuff while you're learning it in 2nd year path.