2009-2010 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
good luck to you too! i'm sorry you are still waiting :( this may be a dumb comment, but i was under the impression that all schools would have applications completed and decisions made by May 15th (or 17th this year?) is that not true?

I thought the same, but apparently there is a batch of applicants that the committee is yet to have made a final decision on. Unfortunately I'm in that batch. I'm guessing the snow days in Philly pushed them back a bit, which I can understand. I just spoke with the admissions office though, and they mentioned that the committee was hoping to get through the waiting files this week. More waiting, oh well. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

s: mid-oct
II: mid-Jan
I: 2/1 (was lucky..someone cancelled his/her interview so i got mime moved up_
Decision: 4/29 (waitlisting letter, a week later)
Final Decision - Acceptance: 6/1 (just got the phone call. Have yet to receive the official letter)

This has been my number one school...will withdraw from other schools soon after i get my package!!!!

Last edited:
Another question about the waitlist... do they tell us if we're NOT accepted? And if so, how?

I know PIL starts orientation July 28 so we should know soon!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the same, but apparently there is a batch of applicants that the committee is yet to have made a final decision on. Unfortunately I'm in that batch. I'm guessing the snow days in Philly pushed them back a bit, which I can understand. I just spoke with the admissions office though, and they mentioned that the committee was hoping to get through the waiting files this week. More waiting, oh well. :xf:

good luck!!!!! i am really keeping my fingers crossed for you :D i feel bad you are stuck in this limbo. try to enjoy your summer though - it goes too quick!! :( still wondering where may went...

Ditto. I'm here with ya. Interviewed March 8th. Still under review by committee. I'll be checking my status Friday. :xf:

Another question about the waitlist... do they tell us if we're NOT accepted? And if so, how?

I know PIL starts orientation July 28 so we should know soon!!

I was waitlisted last year. I got a letter on August 18th letting me know that I was no longer under consideration.

So how's this.....
I received a "Final decision" status a few weeks ago. Was excited that I wouldn't be on another waiting list. Waited and waited for the letter. Then my status changed to "under review" then to "a decision" and wait list letter in the mail today. I interviewed 2/2.

Same thing happened to me. Don't know what it means, but I doubt they would reject someone and then put them back on the waitlist, especially since the class was already full.

I just spoke with the admission's office regarding our precious "waitlist." He said the committee will start reviewing the list starting next week. Students will be notified either via email or a phone call. The online application status might or might not get updated. Good luck, everyone.

Interviewed 2/9. Just called the admission's office and they said there was still no final decision on my application. I could only get a vague "you'll get some news soon." They did encourage me to continue checking the online status page.

Interviewed 2/9. Just called the admission's office and they said there was still no final decision on my application. I could only get a vague "you'll get some news soon." They did encourage me to continue checking the online status page.

I was told the same thing 3 weeks ago... then 2 weeks ago I was somewhat scolded and told to check my status online only. Would be nice to know where I'm living in less than two months considering I'm bringing a wife with me... :) In any case, it is very frustrating considering the few of us that have no final decision are not wait-listed... we're just in limbo. I could understand waiting if I was wait-listed. O well. Here's to all of us that have to wait yet another long week for a decision (cheers). :cool:

EDIT: Not that it is good at all, but I feel just a bit better since my interview was in March and not February like yours. Best wishes to you Chiron3x.

I just spoke with the admission's office regarding our precious "waitlist." He said the committee will start reviewing the list starting next week. Students will be notified either via email or a phone call. The online application status might or might not get updated. Good luck, everyone.

Thanks for checking! Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told the same thing 3 weeks ago... then 2 weeks ago I was somewhat scolded and told to check my status online only. Would be nice to know where I'm living in less than two months considering I'm bringing a wife with me... :) In any case, it is very frustrating considering the few of us that have no final decision are not wait-listed... we're just in limbo. I could understand waiting if I was wait-listed. O well. Here's to all of us that have to wait yet another long week for a decision (cheers). :cool:

EDIT: Not that it is good at all, but I feel just a bit better since my interview was in March and not February like yours. Best wishes to you Chiron3x.

I had considered not posting that little tidbit, but now I'm really glad someone found some use for that information. Cheers the same to you! :hello:

Talked to admissions office today and was told the committee is meeting next week.

Loveurth called last week and was told committee would meet this week.

I get the feeling they say this just so waitlisters like us wouldn't call bother them as much.

Last edited:
Ugh... tired of waiting. I need to move soon!

Hi everybody! To anyone that has lived in Philly I just wanted to know where are some safe areas to stay in Philly? And where are some areas where alot of students stay

Hi everybody! To anyone that has lived in Philly I just wanted to know where are some safe areas to stay in Philly? And where are some areas where alot of students stay

Yeah most of Philly is pretty safe, but of course there are bad neighborhoods. University City is where Drexel and UPenn undergrad are, in west Philadelphia. It stretches from 30th st to about 45th st. This is where a ton of students live. I wouldn't want to live much further west than that, i.e. I wouldn't recommend hanging out late at night west of 50th st. Other than that though, pretty much Center City is safe and nice. Drexel is in North Philly - easy to commute from University City if you want, by public transportation or car. I'm not real familiar with North Philly where Drexel Med is, but when I was up there it looked nice. But yeah, University City or Center City are both safe/nice places to live.

Yeah most of Philly is pretty safe, but of course there are bad neighborhoods. University City is where Drexel and UPenn undergrad are, in west Philadelphia. It stretches from 30th st to about 45th st. This is where a ton of students live. I wouldn't want to live much further west than that, i.e. I wouldn't recommend hanging out late at night west of 50th st. Other than that though, pretty much Center City is safe and nice. Drexel is in North Philly - easy to commute from University City if you want, by public transportation or car. I'm not real familiar with North Philly where Drexel Med is, but when I was up there it looked nice. But yeah, University City or Center City are both safe/nice places to live.

Thanks!

i just got a letter informing me that the waitling list for the 2010 entering class had been finalized. as far as i was concerned, i was never interviewed. when you guys received an interview request, did you receive it via email/mail? or did you have to check back at the site?

i just got a letter informing me that the waitling list for the 2010 entering class had been finalized. as far as i was concerned, i was never interviewed. when you guys received an interview request, did you receive it via email/mail? or did you have to check back at the site?

it was on the site

Does "finalized" just mean that it's full and ranked? Or does it mean that they have filled the class? ugh...so tired of waiting.

Does "finalized" just mean that it's full and ranked? Or does it mean that they have filled the class? ugh...so tired of waiting.

I would assume it just means that the wait list is full and ranked. I am under the impression that no class (not just at Drexel) is full and slated until the day classes begin.

wait. seriously? you mean you never got an email or letter? you just had to keep checking the website? admissions told me they sent out a letter and email as well.

Last edited:
same - interview invite this past sept....no email, no snail mail. i just happened to check my online status.

after i saw i had an interview and scheduled it online, i then received a confirmation email, but yeah - had i not checked my online status, i wouldn't have known.

that's...horrifying. i think i may have missed it.

oh. odd. the mixed replies don't really make sense. not that it matters, but peace of mind is pretty important to me too.

I'm pretty sure the area around Drexel's medical campus (most of the school is in university city right near UPenn) is decent, but a lot of North Philadelphia is very much not nice.

Drexel's medical school is also pretty close to Roxborough and Manayunk, which is a nice area of Philly. Driving would be fine (probably a 10 minute drive), and there is probably a fairly direct bus route, but the regional rail wouldn't be very efficient. The lines all converge in the city then go out like the spokes on a wheel, but they don't interconnect much, so you'd have to go into the city then back out if you wanted to take the train.

If you're talking about Hahnemann, it's in Center City not far from Rittenhouse Square... not North Philadelphia. I wouldn't consider East Falls (medical campus) to be North Philadelphia, although it isn't far from there and I can see how you would think that. (It'snot far from Hunting Park Ave and Roosevelt Blvd). The area around Temple med, for instance, is in North Philadelphia. Not good.

If you're talking about Hahnemann, it's in Center City not far from Rittenhouse Square... not North Philadelphia. I wouldn't consider East Falls (medical campus) to be North Philadelphia, although it isn't far from there and I can see how you would think that. (It'snot far from Hunting Park Ave and Roosevelt Blvd). The area around Temple med, for instance, is in North Philadelphia. Not good.

No yeah I know the hospital is in Center City- I was talking about the medical school campus, but yeah, my bad, I guess it's not technically "North Philly", but it IS north of north Philly right? I see what you are saying though, my gf works at Temple Med in North Philly, and its apparently much scarier than East Falls.

I too never received an email inviting me to an interview. Fortunately, I saw posts on this forum that said you had to check your status. I checked mine, and sure enough, there it was. (Thanks SDN!) The thing is, I apparently got invited in like Nov./Dec., but I didnt check till February, so I interviewed in March. Which led to a waitlist. Who knows, might not have gotten waitlisted if I had interviewed in Dec - live and learn :]

Just got a phone call from Dr. Parrish this morning. Accepted!!! Here's my info for those of you waiting (what you really want to hear):

Interview: 3/11
Status never changed from "Under review" (still reads this)
Never was notified of any waitlist spot or anything.
Phone call: 6/15 Accepted!

Good luck to all of you waiting. I was pretty close to giving up hope myself.

How long did it take from the time of the call to when you received the acceptance letter in the mail? Also was it sent by USPS?

How long did it take from the time of the call to when you received the acceptance letter in the mail? Also was it sent by USPS?

I got the call today, and they said they'd send the letter/packet this afternoon. So, I haven't recevied it yet. The phone call was an official notification, though.

oh. odd. the mixed replies don't really make sense. not that it matters, but peace of mind is pretty important to me too.

i think that letter informing us that the waitlist was full was actually their rejection letter- i also received the letter/was never interviewed....i had been put on hold early in the season and once everyone on this thread announced it was the last interview day and my status still said "hold" i just stopped checking and assumed silent rejection.....i think the letter was just their "nice" way of rejecting us about around 2 months after they finished interviewing

wow...i FINALLY receive my :Dacceptance:D package after gotten that call two weeks ago to the day! It was a long wait...but it was worth it!

Good luck to you all!

EDIT: letter was sent via regular mail

now, how can i write a nice letter to the other schools that i have been accepted that I am no longer interested?:laugh:

Just got a phone call from Dr. Parrish this morning. Accepted!!! Here's my info for those of you waiting (what you really want to hear):

Interview: 3/11
Status never changed from "Under review" (still reads this)
Never was notified of any waitlist spot or anything.
Phone call: 6/15 Accepted!

Good luck to all of you waiting. I was pretty close to giving up hope myself.

Congrats to you! I'm still where you were yesterday, though... sitting in that limbo with no answer at all. Hopefully next spot is mine! :xf:

Just got the call, accepted! Got waitlisted at the end of Feb....so so so excited!

I just got the call as well! ACCEPTED!!! Thank god! Now time to find housing... wedding is in a month! :D:D

I just got the call as well! ACCEPTED!!! Thank god! Now time to find housing... wedding is in a month! :D:D

Now for the info:

Interview 3/8/2010
Under Review by Committee 3/29/2010
Accepted via Phone call 6/17/2010

No wait list... just a long, grueling pending period.

Now for the info:

Interview 3/8/2010

Congrats! Enjoy your wedding!

Now for the info:

Interview 3/8/2010

CONGRATS!!!

Interviewed Feb 9 and still no word. I'm getting ready to send my reapplication out today, so we'll see what happens!

Last edited:
I sent an e-mail to the admissions office about the wait list and so far offers have not been made to the list as of yet. Just a heads up to those waiting

I sent an e-mail to the admissions office about the wait list and so far offers have not been made to the list as of yet. Just a heads up to those waiting

I could have sworn I saw people on this thread posting that they had been accepted of the waitlist...weird.
Thanks for the heads up

I could have sworn I saw people on this thread posting that they had been accepted of the waitlist...weird.
Thanks for the heads up

Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing too, so I decided to send the e-mail. I'm guessing they're still sending out offers to the batch that interviewed later in the season before they get to the list. But from the e-mail I got the impression that they would get to the list very soon.

Hi everyone. Did anyone receive a scholarship in the mail that stated it had to be signed and returned within 10 days of the date on the letter only to have it sent on the 8th day on a Friday? Thats what happened to me and I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing with any complications?

Hi everyone. Did anyone receive a scholarship in the mail that stated it had to be signed and returned within 10 days of the date on the letter only to have it sent on the 8th day on a Friday? Thats what happened to me and I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing with any complications?

I'd say your best bet is to just call the financial aid office and explain what's going on. I'm sure they'll be a little lenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.