2009-2010 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those waiting, I just received a phone call from the Brooklyn VA with an invite. They are doing interviews each wednesday in January.

Good luck to all who applied there!:luck:

I got an invite too. :D

Good luck all, and maybe with a little luck some SDN'ers will cross pathes on the interview trail this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone here get an invite from Lenox Hill? Still waiting on them with no word.

I'm still waiting on Lenox Hill as well, I don't know what's going on :confused:
One of my friends received a rejection from them 2 weeks ago or so.

I'm still waiting on Lenox Hill as well, I don't know what's going on :confused:
One of my friends received a rejection from them 2 weeks ago or so.

I know. My friend also got a rejection around that time. Maybe we'll hear something tomorrow. I'm also still waiting to hear from Beth Israel. I know at least some people have gotten invites there -- although everyone I know personally is still waiting to hear something from them. I just wish these places would hurry up! Then maybe I could stop checking my email and phone constantly.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that capitol region is sending out letters - has anyone received a letter from them yet? I'm starting to get anxious about finalizing my travel plans and the only response I got back from the center is that they are sending out letters...nothing more.

Just had my second phone interview. My brain is now mush. It was over an hour of case vignettes and my case presentation.

The beginning was rough, because the admin staff had failed to make a notification to the Psychologist who was interviewing me. It was on the main book, but not on her personal schedule. So I was waiting around at 6am for a call that didn't come! I felt bad when I talked to her, she was clearly flustered at the beginning and I hope that doesn't impact my eval negatively. I felt that the interview went pretty well - much better than the boring, generic questions on Monday!

Still waiting on 3 sites, and I can't even figure out what Oregon State's notification date is because their materials seem contradictory. Oh well!

Any other interview horror stories??

:luck::xf:

Hey in8joy~

Any more details you can give on the case vignettes they had you do? I would love to know more about it as I prepare for my interviews. Were they short or long? Did they ask how you would approach treatment? Or did they ask for a full conceptualization based on your theoretical orientation? Sorry for all the questioning, I am just trying to get a sense of what that experience is like!! :eek:

I just wanted to post that I received an invite by phone today from Lenox Hill. I know there were a few people waiting with me to hear from them.
Good luck!:)

I got rejection emails from from Manhattan Psychiatric and Beth Israel today. The only one I'm waiting on is Capitol Region, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Well, the dust finally settled today...I ended up with only 3 interviews (Mass. Gen, Boston Consortium, and Medical College of Georgia). It's a little disappointing, but, I'm looking forward to the interviews I do have. Heading home for the holidays--wishing you all the best!

I'm officially done waiting, having heard from my last site today (rejection from Beth Israel). I have 11 interviews, for which I'm truly thankful.

Happy Holidays and good luck to all!

:)

I ended up with 8, but 2 of those I still am waiting to hear back about which day I'll get....ugh! It is screwing with my plans. I am calling and leaving messages, so hopefully I will have an answer.

I ended up with 8, but 2 of those I still am waiting to hear back about which day I'll get....ugh! It is screwing with my plans. I am calling and leaving messages, so hopefully I will have an answer.

T4c, good luck with the planning. I hope you're able to get to all the interviews. Eight is a good number to work with, I think. Maybe our paths will cross at interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess everyone has heard by now that Capitol Region canceled their internship program for next year. It's a little scary how so many places seem to be going under. So far it seems like it's mostly been unaccredited sites that have folded, but now that it's happened to an accredited one, I'm a little worried.
Anyway, I hope everyone has a great holiday!

I guess everyone has heard by now that Capitol Region canceled their internship program for next year. It's a little scary how so many places seem to be going under. So far it seems like it's mostly been unaccredited sites that have folded, but now that it's happened to an accredited one, I'm a little worried.
Anyway, I hope everyone has a great holiday!

Yes- it is scary how many are going under. I'm sorta surprised that they waited that long to tell us. It seems like a last minute decision.

A complicating factor is the fiscal year is different for places. Many University-affiliated places start their fiscal year in August, so they set their budgets in the spring for the coming year. Other places go off of a calendar year, etc. The challenge with the former is that they may not know about funding in time for interviews/ranking....so they run the risk of having students, but no placements.

I'm wondering if someone who was also rejected from San Francisco VA would be willing to PM me? I have a sort of random request that I'd prefer to ask off-board. Thanks in advance :)

Hey in8joy~

Any more details you can give on the case vignettes they had you do? I would love to know more about it as I prepare for my interviews. Were they short or long? Did they ask how you would approach treatment? Or did they ask for a full conceptualization based on your theoretical orientation? Sorry for all the questioning, I am just trying to get a sense of what that experience is like!! :eek:

Sure - sorry for the delay I've been out of town.

They provided two brief vignettes - I don't want to share them exactly in case others may be interviewing at the site, but they were fairly basic. Something like, "you're working with an Asian American client who is suffering from depression. She tells you that she is very close to her family, and is concerned because she is thinking of dropping out of school. She tells you that sometimes she thinks about death. Tell us what your primary impressions are of this client, and what other information you would want to know. What would you do first with regard to treatment? Why."

Stuff like that. For the case presentation, they asked me to talk about a client I had worked with. I was to include background info, theoretical orientation used for conceptualization, interventions used and why, outcome, and how I used supervision for the case.

Hope this helps!

Sure - sorry for the delay I've been out of town.

They provided two brief vignettes - I don't want to share them exactly in case others may be interviewing at the site, but they were fairly basic. Something like, "you're working with an Asian American client who is suffering from depression. She tells you that she is very close to her family, and is concerned because she is thinking of dropping out of school. She tells you that sometimes she thinks about death. Tell us what your primary impressions are of this client, and what other information you would want to know. What would you do first with regard to treatment? Why."

Stuff like that. For the case presentation, they asked me to talk about a client I had worked with. I was to include background info, theoretical orientation used for conceptualization, interventions used and why, outcome, and how I used supervision for the case.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful. :)

I just received an e-mail response from one of my sites....asking if I had received their initial e-mail. Yikes! I responded to it 2 weeks ago, and per the initial e-mail I was instructed that I would hear back about the final dates. Ugh. I really hope they have the date I requested, as the other possible dates were all previously taken by other interviews.

I officially hate the interview process, and I haven't started!

I can get an interview date later this week, which requires me to change my entire travel schedule because I have to change 2 flights, book a hotel, get back home after midnight, get up 5 hours later for work, then fly out the next day back to an interview, fly back for work....and then fly out for 10 straight days of interviews and travel.

Anyone else have a crazy interview schedule?

ps. And the most chance thing of everything.....I just happened to pick up a suit using some x-mas money the other day, so I actually have something to wear, as I didn't plan on being up here for an interview. I won't have time to get it fully tailored, but I guess a decent suit is better than no suit at all.

Last edited:
Ugh, what a pain in the butt. Good luck with them!

I've already been on 5 interviews. The first one was so early I only got an interview suit one day before -- so I had to wear it with slightly long and baggy pants.:oops: Oh well. I guess that's better than wearing something skin tight...

Good luck on your interviews all! So far mine have not been too bad, and most of the interviewers have been nice. I have a bunch more coming up beginning next week. I better take my suit to the dry cleaners.

I don't envy those of you having to travel out of town for interviews. Luckily all of mine are fairly local. I did, however, manage to get lost on my way to one site and wound up 20 minutes late for the first interview. Way to make an impression, huh?:rolleyes:

I officially hate the interview process, and I haven't started!

I can get an interview date later this week, which requires me to change my entire travel schedule because I have to change 2 flights, book a hotel, get back home after midnight, get up 5 hours later for work, then fly out the next day back to an interview, fly back for work....and then fly out for 10 straight days of interviews and travel.

Anyone else have a crazy interview schedule?

ps. And the most chance thing of everything.....I just happened to pick up a suit using some x-mas money the other day, so I actually have something to wear, as I didn't plan on being up here for an interview. I won't have time to get it fully tailored, but I guess a decent suit is better than no suit at all.

That really stinks. My interviews are pretty spread all over January and I have one this Friday as well. Good luck to everyone!

Speaking of travel.....if you are willing to do some leg work, there are some good deals on hotels to be had on Priceline. I've been using it for years, and it has allowed me to stay at much nicer places than I normally would be able to afford. I just booked a 4.5 star hotel in a downtown area for $94....average price is $180-$220+/night. The Ritz, 4 Seasons, and etc may not participate, but there are plenty of 3-4+ star places that can be had for far less than you'd find on Expedia, Hotels.com, etc.

1. Go to: www.tripadvisor.com to familiarize yourself with the areas where you will be interviewing, and the hotel options.
2. Go to: www.biddingfortravel.com (I have no affiliation. The owner is "eccentric", but the information is golden)
3. Go to the sub-forum for your state/city of interest. Read the various pricing threads/combos. Find a sweet spot for your needs.
4. Go to: www.priceline.com to bid. Use the information gathered from #1 and #3 to score a good deal.

If done correctly, you should be able to save 50%-70% off of your hotel.

Wow. I've always wanted to try Priceline but have been too chicken. Thanks for the travel advice, T4C.

I have a proven system (I didn't invent it....though I was an early adopter), and it keeps me in luxury, without totally killing my wallet. It works best for well traveled places, and is less effective in smaller areas where there isn't as much data. You are somewhat limited if people only stick with a certain range, but it at least gives you an idea. I was trying for a 4*, but Priceline isn't listing anything over 3.5, though I still saved 45%.

Last edited:
So how is everyone's interviews going?

I just had my first interview, and it definitely flew by! I got out a bit earlier than expected, so now I'm killing time in my hotel....thank god for my Boingo 'net connection! I'm debating getting a massage....which is a bad fiscal choice, but otherwise would be a great idea. They have a spa in the hotel, and I'm trying to figure out what I could cut out of my budget to make it happen....:D

*edit*

I passed on the massage....they had a package deal, but it was close to the cost of a 1-way flight home from one of my interviews (that I am booking now), doh! Maybe I can convince my dog to walk/jump on my back when I get home. :laugh:

Last edited:
T4C,

Glad to hear things are moving along for you. I had one interview last week. In the next 2 weeks I have six more -- then I'm through.:)

Not sure what to expect with the upcoming ones. Some are interview days with many applicants invited, group Q&As etc. A few are just me meeting with one psychologist for an hour. I personally prefer the places that give you more time and opportunity to see the site, ask questions, etc. I just feel this shows more concern for the applicants, as well as allowing us to make a more informed judgment about match suitability.

I'm curious about what others have/are experiencing with regard to interviews. Are most of you like me, in that you've seen a variety of interview formats? Are you finding you prefer some formats to others?

Interviews start this week at my place. It's going to be interesting being on the other side of the table. I got to look through applications and most people looked so good, it's really going to be hard to pick. I guess that's why most of this comes down to the interview and "fit."

It's almost over :)

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the APPIC numbers info we just received. Do you think the majority of applicants have a good chance of obtaining an APA accredited internship?

Good luck everyone!! I have 5 interviews this week (eeeep!) I'm hoping my brain won't explode.:eek:

Good luck everyone!! I have 5 interviews this week (eeeep!) I'm hoping my brain won't explode.:eek:

Wow!

I though me having 4 in 8 days was bad.....:laugh: I have 6 more to go, and I am already tired of traveling. I've been lucky and stayed in some plush hotels, but now that I'm off the beaten path for a few....not sure what kind of places I'll find!

Although I too am getting sick of interviewing, I'm also feeling fortunate. I was talking to a classmate today who only has a few interviews, and I would not want to trade places with that person. I do appreciate that number of interviews isn't everything -- you can only match to one place. Still, it's a small comfort to feel we have options.

Good luck all!

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on the APPIC numbers info we just received. Do you think the majority of applicants have a good chance of obtaining an APA accredited internship?

Would mind posting it? Thanks!

Would mind posting it? Thanks!

As of December 31, 2008, the total numbers of applicants and internship sites registered to participate in the 2009 APPIC Match were:

- 3,752 registered applicants
- 3,136 positions offered by 687 registered internship sites
(661 of these registered sites are APPIC members)

These numbers reflect an increase of 87 applicants and an increase of 79 positions as compared to last year at this time. Furthermore, the number of participating internship sites has increased by 21, representing 15 APPIC-member sites and 6 non-member sites as compared to last year.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These numbers change daily and are only a "snapshot" as of December 31 of each year. The final numbers of participating sites and applicants will be significantly different from those presented above. In each of the past ten years, more than 200 applicants withdrew from the Match after registering. Assuming that trend continues into this year, we estimate that approximately 3,500 to 3,600 applicants will ultimately submit Rank Order Lists for the 2009 Match.

The table below presents the registration numbers from the past eleven years (since the APPIC Match was initiated), as of December 31 of each year, along with the change from the previous year:

APPIC MATCH REGISTRATION NUMBERS AS OF DECEMBER 31

---Applicants--- ---Positions--- -----Sites-----
Reg Chg Reg Chg Reg Chg
================ =============== ===============
Dec 31, 1998 3,090 2,659 609
Dec 31, 1999 3,127 +37 2,773 +114 623 +14
Dec 31, 2000 3,172 +45 2,771 -2 625 +2
Dec 31, 2001 3,030 -142 2,766 -5 617 -8
Dec 31, 2002 3,136 +106 2,774 +8 619 +2
Dec 31, 2003 3,218 +82 2,753 -21 628 +9
Dec 31, 2004 3,350 +132 2,778 +25 621 -7
Dec 31, 2005 3,422 +72 2,811 +33 630 +9
Dec 31, 2006 3,611 +189 2,904 +93 641 +11
Dec 31, 2007 3,665 +54 3,057 +153 666 +25
Dec 31, 2008 3,752 +87 3,136 +79 687 +21

For comparison purposes, here are the final numbers of participating applicants and programs from each of the ten previous APPIC Matches (note that the numbers are as of Match Day in February for each year, rather than for the preceding December 31, and reflect only the applicants who actually submitted Rank Order Lists):

NUMBER OF PARTICIPATING APPLICANTS AND INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
IN PREVIOUS APPIC MATCHES

Applicants Positions Difference
1999 Match 2,923 2,631 -292
2000 Match 2,957 2,713 -244
2001 Match 2,947 2,763 -184
2002 Match 2,842 2,752 -90
2003 Match 2,963 2,718 -245
2004 Match 3,039 2,732 -307
2005 Match 3,117 2,757 -360
2006 Match 3,210 2,779 -431
2007 Match 3,430 2,884 -546
2008 Match 3,492 3,058 -434

Additional statistics from previous matches can be found at www.appic.org

SPECIAL NOTE TO INTERNSHIP TRAINING DIRECTORS: Even though there are more applicants than positions, this does NOT mean that all positions will be filled in the Match (e.g., the 2008 Match left 309 positions unfilled). Our experience with previous Matches tells us that: (1) some positions will remain unfilled, and (2) Training Directors who submit relatively short Rank Order Lists will increase the likelihood of one or more of their positions remaining unfilled. Of course, you should only rank those applicants to whom you would be comfortable being matched.
-- click on "Match Statistics."

If I'm reading this right, it means this match year is even more competitive than the last few years, with a positions/applicant imbalance of well over 600.:( Not great news for us applicants, and troubling when one considers that this includes all sites participating in the match, and not merely APA accredited programs.

Did anyone see today's email from Steve McCutcheon announcing three more accredited internships? It's kind of late in the game, but maybe those sites were already APPIC members? I also notice that most new member sites seem to be outside of the popular metro areas. When's the last time anyone saw a newly accredited site in NYC for example? With all of the counseling centers within a 80 miles of NYC, how many are APA accredited? Just 2 (Pace and Stony Brook). If a few of the unaccredited centers would get it together and become accredited, it would certainly help the imbalance situation. Then again, I suspect there's little incentive to spend the time and money for APA accreditation when there are so many psychology students willing to work there anyway -- as externs, post-docs, or interns.

Does anyone know how much it takes for the average site to become accredited?

Does anyone know how much it takes for the average site to become accredited?

The site I was a last year (as an advanced practicum student) was a community health center that with an unaccredited internship program that had been operating for over 15 years. As of last year, they were in their 3rd year of trying for APA accreditation. This was an amazing site, with excellent supervision, didactics, and a solid training model. The application just kept getting bounced back- one time it was because APA wanted to know the dimensions of the rooms in which students saw clients! APA keeps saying they want to fix the problem, but unfortunately, I now know of several other programs in the same position of trying year after year for accreditation with no avail. I think APA needs to rethink things.

The site I was a last year (as an advanced practicum student) was a community health center that with an unaccredited internship program that had been operating for over 15 years. As of last year, they were in their 3rd year of trying for APA accreditation. This was an amazing site, with excellent supervision, didactics, and a solid training model. The application just kept getting bounced back- one time it was because APA wanted to know the dimensions of the rooms in which students saw clients! APA keeps saying they want to fix the problem, but unfortunately, I now know of several other programs in the same position of trying year after year for accreditation with no avail. I think APA needs to rethink things.

Unfortunately, I've heard stories like this from others. This raises the question about whether APA is serious about the match imbalance and wants to do something about it. I'd love to know more about the precise criteria used to accredit a program. The counseling center I work at part-time is also trying for accreditation, and I'm unclear about what's being asked of them. I do know that they recently beefed-up their didactics as part of their push towards becoming accredited.

The costs of accreditation are definitely beyond the range of many excellent public mental health or community based organizations. In addition to the costs of annual stipends (nothing less than $15,000 annually per position would be acceptable to the COA) there is an annual membership fee, and one-time application fee and a site visit fee so that simply applying is at least a $10,000 investment and that does not include the staff and administrative time involved in the production of the application and management of the accreditation process. (It is at minimum a half-time job for a year simply to organize the materials and manage accreditation, which as an earlier poster shows, can be a multi-year process). Unless APA and the professional schools devise a way to provide external funding sources for stipend and become more practical and welcoming toward community based sites, many public service agencies will continue to offer excellent training opportunities (because it is a rewarding process and serves the public good) but be excluded from APA status. Students can help in this process by advocating for your graduate programs to create funded consortium or captive internship programs that are developed with excellent practicum sites like the one described on this thread. Public sites by themselves cannot take on the costs and administration of APA accreditation and if schools and students want this they have to use the political and advocacy process to make it happen.

Last edited:
Not to change the direction of the thread, but is anyone else totally exhausted by this process? I am mentally fatigued! After I finish an interview now it's like, "whew - now where can I take a nap?" :)

I hope everyone's interviews are going well - I only have three left thank goodness - then I'm sure there will be a flurry of posts about the match (eeep!)

Good luck!:luck:

I too am ready for the interviews to be over. I had 3 this week, and the final 3 next week. It is a very tiring process, between traveling, the tension of being evaluated, talking so much about ourselves, etc. Today I had one of the interviews where they give you a clinical vignette and ask you fr diagnosis, treatment and testing recommendations, etc. Not fun! I always feel as if I'm botching that up royally.:eek:

getting ready to leave for a week of interviews in FL. Come back for 3 days, then fly out to TX for an interview. Come back for a week, then flying out to Cali. layover in Vegas...where I will turn 25 :) That's right. My interview experience will capstone with my quarter century birthday in the Las Vegas airport!

and then I will sleep.

Not to change the direction of the thread, but is anyone else totally exhausted by this process? I am mentally fatigued!

I tried to catch up on sleep during my 2 days home, but I think I did more cleaning, laundry, and work....than I did sleep. Now I'm on the road for 10 days, and I'm starting tired. blah. I'm going to go eat a steak and watch some football....but I'm pretty sure I'll be going to bed before it is over.

Sleep > Football, at the moment.

Today I had one of the interviews where they give you a clinical vignette and ask you fr diagnosis, treatment and testing recommendations, etc. Not fun! I always feel as if I'm botching that up royally.:eek:

That happened at my first 2 interviews. They want to see your process and whatnot...which is fine, if it wasn't so stressful.

getting ready to leave for a week of interviews in FL. Come back for 3 days, then fly out to TX for an interview. Come back for a week, then flying out to Cali. layover in Vegas...where I will turn 25 :) That's right. My interview experience will capstone with my quarter century birthday in the Las Vegas airport!

and then I will sleep.

Las Vegas is my home away from home! (well...2nd to New Orleans).

Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone in the following paces this week: Lexington, Baton Rouge, Norman, Leavenworth? It'd be cool to actually run into another SDN'er on the interview trail.

Hi all -

Another question: a couple of my sites are scheduling follow-up calls with the training director after the interview (they say to answer any other questions we might have). My problem is I don't have any questions (at least not ones I would ask the training director!). How are you all handling this? Any suggestions? I feel compelled to make up a question just to have something to say.

I'll give you my 2 cents, although I suspect others may differ. I think that many sites really would prefer that you not call them until after the match, as they worry it could break the APPIC guidelines about not disclosing preferences for ranking. At my interview yesterday, the training director actually said that she did not want applicants to even e-mail her a thank you -- she does not read them and they have no bearing on the site's decision making process. A few other sites have expressed a similar view. I've decided not to make any follow-up calls, although in a few cases I did email a brief thank you after my interview.

On the other hand, if I did have questions that remained unanswered after interview day, I might contact the site and ask. Like you, however, I'd be hard pressed to think of additional questions I'd want to ask in most cases. Do I think that applicants who do this sort of follow-up gain an advantage? I don't know, but I suspect not. There's no way of knowing for sure...