2009-2010 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting for 3 sites. Two have later deadlines. The holdouts are:

Brooklyn VA
Lenox Hill
Beth Israel

I have 9 interviews, which I'm happy about. Good luck to everyone on interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any information about the internship at Alexian Brothers in Chicago or Oak Forest Hospital - beyond just the websites and the brochures? Both brochures have good information that make the sites attractive, but I was just wondering if there is "word on the streets."

I interviewed last year at Oak Forest for the health track and ranked them. PM me if you want more info. I did not apply to Alexian Bros. I had heard from a reliable source that there were some issues with supervision/getting enough hours but that was a few years ago. Things may be different now. When I asked my DCT about that, she said that interns that had placed there from my program did not have that problem.

Has anyone heard (or know someone who has heard) from Suffolk University counseling center or Oregon State University? Suffolk was supposed to notify by yesterday, but I know Oregon's date isn't until the 24th (!)

Anyone else still waiting on lots of sites?

A friend of mine was invited to interview at Suffolk's counseling center. I think she heard from them a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting for 3 sites. Two have later deadlines. The holdouts are:

Brooklyn VA
Lenox Hill
Beth Israel

I have 9 interviews, which I'm happy about. Good luck to everyone on interviews!

I just got an invite from Beth Israel earlier today. It was via phone so it's probably taking them a while to call everyone. Good luck!

A friend of mine was invited to interview at Suffolk's counseling center. I think she heard from them a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info, I just sent them an e-mail and was told I got rejected :( apparently their rejection e-mail failed to reach me.

Oh well, 8 is a good number and still waiting on 3. Although 2 of them will be similar rejections (others have received offers)

Almost done!

Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask your perspective on something. I did an interview by phone this morning. It lasted 50 minutes and I was basically asked a million of questions and then given a few minutes to ask mine. After the phone call, I realized that the people I talked with barely talked about the site and did not try to sell it at all. It was kinda weird. I actually didn't learn much more about the site than what was in their brochure. I understand that phone interviews are limiting, but do you think sites should be trying to sell themselves, or do you think it is all about us selling ourselves? I kinda felt put on stage and not given any reason to perform. I'm pretty sure the site is good, but I just thought it was weird. Perhaps phone interviews are just weird??

Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask your perspective on something. I did an interview by phone this morning. It lasted 50 minutes and I was basically asked a million of questions and then given a few minutes to ask mine. After the phone call, I realized that the people I talked with barely talked about the site and did not try to sell it at all. It was kinda weird. I actually didn't learn much more about the site than what was in their brochure. I understand that phone interviews are limiting, but do you think sites should be trying to sell themselves, or do you think it is all about us selling ourselves? I kinda felt put on stage and not given any reason to perform. I'm pretty sure the site is good, but I just thought it was weird. Perhaps phone interviews are just weird??

Unfortunately this seems pretty common. They probably feel like they want to get as much information from you, so it may come off as rushed and/or one-sided.

unfortunately, sites don't have to sell themselves at all. Sure, during an in-person interview, they will give you a tour and talk about their rotations, but sites know that they're going to get slave labor, uh, i mean interns that they can pay $18K. By the way, does anybody know the last time the majority of internships raised their salary???

Unfortunately this seems pretty common. They probably feel like they want to get as much information from you, so it may come off as rushed and/or one-sided.

Thanks. It's helpful to know that this is pretty common, and is especially common in phone interviews. My friends who interviewed last year had the experience of many sites really wanting them to know what they had to offer and I have a few all day orientations/interviews/tours scheduled at some sites. So, I was unsure if this site was kinda lame or if I was just expecting too much (which I guess I was).:oops:

Thanks. It's helpful to know that this is pretty common, and is especially common in phone interviews. My friends who interviewed last year had the experience of many sites really wanting them to know what they had to offer and I have a few all day orientations/interviews/tours scheduled at some sites. So, I was unsure if this site was kinda lame or if I was just expecting too much (which I guess I was).:oops:

Maybe your expectations are high, but is that such a bad thing? At the least, how you felt about their interviewing will likely factor into your overall decision of how to rank them. Despite the intense competition, some sites are just more caring towards their interns than others. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. It's helpful to know that this is pretty common, and is especially common in phone interviews. My friends who interviewed last year had the experience of many sites really wanting them to know what they had to offer and I have a few all day orientations/interviews/tours scheduled at some sites. So, I was unsure if this site was kinda lame or if I was just expecting too much (which I guess I was).:oops:[/quote

Maybe your expectations are high, but is that such a bad thing? At the least, how you felt about their interviewing will likely factor into your overall decision of how to rank them. Despite the intense competition, some sites are just more caring towards their interns than others. ;)

Thanks, Psychmama. I think you raise a good point.

Has anyone heard from Stony Brook University??

Members don't see this ad :)
Etiquette question - One of my invites asked me to email the scheduling coordinator at the provided email address to schedule an interview. I did this two days ago, and still no word (I'd like to find out asap so I can finalize travel plans). There was no phone number provided in the email, but a quick search of the site yielded the coordinator's phone number. Would it be in poor form to call the coordinator to follow-up on my email?

Etiquette question - One of my invites asked me to email the scheduling coordinator at the provided email address to schedule an interview. I did this two days ago, and still no word (I'd like to find out asap so I can finalize travel plans). There was no phone number provided in the email, but a quick search of the site yielded the coordinator's phone number. Would it be in poor form to call the coordinator to follow-up on my email?

I don't think so. I think it's how you approach the phone call. You could say something like "I know you're probably very swamped and I don't want to pressure you....." I think it's only improper if you call with an attitude or act entitled. Most of the sites understand that we're coordinating our travels. I have had to email 2 of my sites because they left me hanging for several days. After emailing them, I heard back immediately and they were super cool about it. Good luck!

I received HALF a REJECTION. One university sent me an e-mail explaining that they had a large number applicants...sorry can't extend an interview invite...but stated they are impressed by my qualifications and that they will include me in their final ranking, and suggested i would do the same. Anyone else had that? Though it is funny enough to shareJ

Last edited:
I received HALF a REJECTION. One university sent me an e-mail explaining that they had a large number applicants...sorry can't extend an interview invite...but stated they are impressed by my qualifications and that they will include me in their final ranking, and suggested i would do the same. Anyone else had that? Though it is funny enough to shareJ

"We are really busy, and even though we'd like to interview you, it just isn't in the cards right now. You know how things go....it doesn't mean we don't like you, because we do. You seem really cool, so if we find some time down the road, and things change....we'll call."

I think you just got "Internship Booty Called". :laugh:

Just had my second phone interview. My brain is now mush. It was over an hour of case vignettes and my case presentation.

The beginning was rough, because the admin staff had failed to make a notification to the Psychologist who was interviewing me. It was on the main book, but not on her personal schedule. So I was waiting around at 6am for a call that didn't come! I felt bad when I talked to her, she was clearly flustered at the beginning and I hope that doesn't impact my eval negatively. I felt that the interview went pretty well - much better than the boring, generic questions on Monday!

Still waiting on 3 sites, and I can't even figure out what Oregon State's notification date is because their materials seem contradictory. Oh well!

Any other interview horror stories??

:luck::xf:

Two people from my class have heard. One on Friday and one Monday the 15th. I'm still waiting. They contacted them by phone.

Thanks for letting me know. Their deadline was Monday, it surprises me that they haven't contacted us by now... I don't live close to NY and I am just waiting on them to finalize my travel plans. Good luck!!

Random question.. what do people think about open houses? For our own information regarding ranking I find the concept very useful (seems hard to rank a site based purely on the brochure).. but do people think that attendance, and subsequent behavior at said open house really does not impact ranking (which is what they claim).

Any thoughts? Anyone hear of anything from the other side?

Random question.. what do people think about open houses? For our own information regarding ranking I find the concept very useful (seems hard to rank a site based purely on the brochure).. but do people think that attendance, and subsequent behavior at said open house really does not impact ranking (which is what they claim).

I don't know. I think this is really hard. I was invited to Portland and I really like their site, but I just can't make it (logistically or financially). I'm worried that it will appear that I am uninterested in their site, which is definitely not the case. I emailed my friend who is an intern there currently to see what she thinks. I think it might be important to indicate that you are very interested in their site, but cannot make the open house. Then ask if there is a way you can speak to a current intern to learn more about the site. In my case, I will let them know that I plan to speak to my friend to learn more.

There are some sites, though, that I truly believe that attending/not attending the open house has no effect on their ranking. For instance, I believe the Seattle VA definitely does not factor attendance into the ranking,

I really don't think Open House attendance/ performance affects rankings. It would be disingenuous of them to do otherwise. But if you go to the Open House and are raucous and rude, I can't imagine that not playing a factor-- so maybe only in extreme cases.
Related question. For those of you going to Open Houses like this that are not evaluative: Suit, or business casual?

I really don't think Open House attendance/ performance affects rankings. It would be disingenuous of them to do otherwise. But if you go to the Open House and are raucous and rude, I can't imagine that not playing a factor-- so maybe only in extreme cases.
Related question. For those of you going to Open Houses like this that are not evaluative: Suit, or business casual?

Some sites will tell you the dress code. I would probably wear a suit with a nice shirt. Then, if it seems casual, I would just ditch the jacket.

I agree with all of the above. I guess for some reason I am doubting the implicit impact that meeting with the staff might/could have on a subsequent evaluation of your application. For instance, I'm pretty sure there are some attributions made to applications from familiar sources (ie, students of colleagues, classmates of current interns, etc) that may not be made without some of these associations (in some cases negative as well). I know they say it won't have any impact, and they probably try to do that, and in some cases succeed. But.. I suppose I have my doubts. It's like a jury disregarding information they weren't supposed to hear. Do they really?

I appreciate any thoughts. For the record, I only have one open house and they say attendance does not impact ranking (however, ranking is reportedly not solidified until well after the open house). I am going to attend, because I want to be able to see if they are a good fit for me anyhow. But my question lingers...

I agree with all of the above. I guess for some reason I am doubting the implicit impact that meeting with the staff might/could have on a subsequent evaluation of your application. For instance, I'm pretty sure there are some attributions made to applications from familiar sources (ie, students of colleagues, classmates of current interns, etc) that may not be made without some of these associations (in some cases negative as well). I know they say it won't have any impact, and they probably try to do that, and in some cases succeed. But.. I suppose I have my doubts. It's like a jury disregarding information they weren't supposed to hear. Do they really?

I appreciate any thoughts. For the record, I only have one open house and they say attendance does not impact ranking (however, ranking is reportedly not solidified until well after the open house). I am going to attend, because I want to be able to see if they are a good fit for me anyhow. But my question lingers...

I think it would only make an impact if you come off really axis II or something or like an amazing super human. Otherwise, I think most sites are sincere about the ranking system.

I think it would only make an impact if you come off really axis II or something or like an amazing super human. Otherwise, I think most sites are sincere about the ranking system.
Oooh, amazing super human! I smell new interview strategy! :laugh: Thanks cello. Maybe you're right and I'm just a tad cynical.

Will people please post the types of questions interviewers asked? E.g. Tell us about yourself, tell me about an ethical dilemma you faced and how you resolved it, if you were stuck on an island, etc...

Will people please post the types of questions interviewers asked? E.g. Tell us about yourself, tell me about an ethical dilemma you faced and how you resolved it, if you were stuck on an island, etc...

I was going to start a thread on this actually.....I was going back and forth if names should be included (Site XYZ), or if we should just do categories, "Academic Hospital, Counseling Center, etc). I think I'm going to go with the latter and see how it goes.....

HERE is the thread.

Last edited:
Anyone else still waiting on lots of sites?

YES. I'm still waiting on two. After sending out inquiries after the Dec. 15th deadline, I got an email from 2 sites saying they had invited me 3 weeks ago. Turns out, the sites had the wrong email address for me. So, now I'm in a stage where I have to re-connect and try to get the interviews again (if possible). So far, I've been able to salvage 1 of the 2 interviews for January. :eek:

To date: 4 interviews, 7 rejections, waiting on 2.

I got an email from North Central Bronx saying i was rejected this morning (after asking cuz i never heard). and now it was just recalled from my email?? How long do I wait to hear from them again or before I call them up and ask what is going on?

I haven't heard from one of my sites by the deadline of the 15th. I emailed the TD yesterday morning and haven't heard back. Would it be appropriate to call them tomorrow to see what's going on? After hearing stories about others getting interviews that they never found out about, I'm concerned and would like to make sure about the interview status.

And I'm still waiting on Beth Israel. Any news from them today?

so this is absolutely crazy making - I've sent an e-mail to the TD and have gotten no response - so I plan on calling them tomorrow morning to see if I can get an update on process. At the same time - if anyone has heard from Capitol - please help put me out of my misery ...
I've been told that it's not an official rejection until you hear for sure....

Did anyone contact Brooklyn VA yet about the delay in notification? I'm thinking of checking with them tomorrow, but thought I'd ask first if anyone's done this and has info?

Thanks.:)

The admissions committee at Capitol Region met on Friday and letters will be sent out this week (via mail) letting applicants know whether they are invited for an interview or not.

I haven't heard from one of my sites by the deadline of the 15th. I emailed the TD yesterday morning and haven't heard back. Would it be appropriate to call them tomorrow to see what's going on? After hearing stories about others getting interviews that they never found out about, I'm concerned and would like to make sure about the interview status.

And I'm still waiting on Beth Israel. Any news from them today?

Yes, it is absolutely appropriate to cal them. Even though 12 out of 13 of my sites were handled by email correspondence, I lost a site due to email. The site said I didn't respond to their email being sent a month ago in November. Truth is, I never received it because they used the wrong address. They also don't feel like re-negotiating since their applicant pool appears to be set.

Does anyone else have a problem with emails being the norm for contact? I find it an over-reliance on an often convenient, yet not completely flawless method of contact. Out of my 12 sites that responded, 4 of them had attempted to contact me and thought I was blowing them off. Luckily 3 of those have still offered me interviews.

This has been a doozy of a process. Good luck on interviews all!:)

Did anyone contact Brooklyn VA yet about the delay in notification? I'm thinking of checking with them tomorrow, but thought I'd ask first if anyone's done this and has info?

Thanks.:)

Your fearless mod just called them [Brooklyn VA].....and they said they are behind in their review, and they would let people know by Sunday at the latest.

For Ancora....I just left a message for Dr. Mosby, and I am waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
Your fearless mod just called them [Brooklyn VA].....and they said they are behind in their review, and they would let people know by Sunday at the latest.

For Ancora....I just left a message for Dr. Mosby, and I am waiting to hear back.
I emailed Dr. Mosby and Dr. Welte at Ancora and haven't heard back. My next step will be to leave a message.

Still no word from Beth Israel.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Hey T- I literally JUST received a rejection email from Beth Israel. Too bad...I was hoping for at least one more. Now I've heard from everyone though. Final count is 5 interviews.

I got a rejection from Trenton Psychiatric today.
I haven't gotten a rejection or an interview from Beth Israel. I wonder what this means.

I got a rejection from Trenton Psychiatric today.
I haven't gotten a rejection or an interview from Beth Israel. I wonder what this means.
I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't heard either way from Beth Israel.

Thanks for checking. Good luck to us both.:D

Did anyone here get an invite from Lenox Hill? Still waiting on them with no word.

Rejected by Ancora. It was an odd e-mail, but that was the gist of it.

Sorry to hear about Ancora -- I'm curious about how the email was "odd". Care to share:D?

This morning I got a call from a site I'm still waiting on, but the voicemail message didn't let on if it's an invite or not. I'm now nervous. Do you think they'd reject someone by phone?:confused:

For those waiting, I just received a phone call from the Brooklyn VA with an invite. They are doing interviews each wednesday in January.

Good luck to all who applied there!:luck: