2009-2010 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So relieved to have matched. Congrats to you all! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone! The anxiety on Monday isn't nearly as intense :) But this is probably one of the longest weekends you'll have....

Cheers! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, this seems like a great forum! I can't believe I only found it a couple days ago. I would have loved to chat about this whole process with everyone as it was happening. Anyway, I decided to quick register today to share in the good news.

I matched too!!!! Yay. Now, the wait is on to find out where! Congrats to everyone on matching. :)

Matched also! So relieved! And also running on little sleep. I pre-planned a party tonight (some called it tempting fate ;), so I'd better catch some Zzzs so I can do my share of champagne guzzling.

Matched here, too! Relieved and yet very nervous for Monday. Congratulations, all!

Congratulations to everyone who matched!

I just found out that I didn't match. So disappointed. I'm planning to spend the day wallowing in self-pity before I start prepping for Monday...

Congratulations to everyone who matched!

I just found out that I didn't match. So disappointed. I'm planning to spend the day wallowing in self-pity before I start prepping for Monday...
So sorry to hear that. If any consolation, a student in my program didn't match 2 cycles ago, and she ended up at UCSD through the clearinghouse.

Also, don't know what area you're concentrating on, but just in case you don't know, there are actually 2 clearinghouses. The standard one through NMS/appic and then another that's just for counseling centers and it's endorsed by appic.

Good luck & warm wishes.

The toughest thing about this process is that good applicants get squeezed. It happened to me last year, so I've been there.

Speaking of......here are some tips about Clearing House that may help you:

1. Relax. Plenty of people get quality sites through CH. You can be one of them.

2. Recruit 1-2 people to help you. It really helps to have someone there to help sort through sites, prepare letters, watch the details, etc.

3. Write your letters ahead of time. While you do not know exactly what sites are available, pre-draft a few form letters where you can fill in the information quickly (community mental health centers, hospital, student counseling, etc).

4. Make sure to have at least 2 computers. You can be drafting a letter on one, while a friend looks through sites on another. If you have a third person they can use printed out info to help you (review the rotations at a site, etc).

If anyone needs any other help with this stuff, feel free to post on here or PM me.

^ Great advice T4C. My class & DCT had a pact that if one of us didn't match, then all of us would clear out schedules on monday and have an operation room with all our laptops and help from the program asst in case of requests for letters of rec, etc.

Make sure your DCT is available, as no offers can be officially made without the site either speaking with your DCT directly, or getting the AAPI Part 2 - to confirm your 'readiness for internship' is signed off.

For today though, I appreciate some solid wallowing. I do hope you feel that you have plenty of support.

Congratulations to almost everyone! It seems the percentage on this board is pretty high for the match thus far. Anyone care to do a study on this board? Sorry to hear about your misfortune (PsychGrad) but T4C is right...I've heard of people getting stellar sites through Clearinghouse.

Myself and a one other cohort friend have both matched. I'm so happy for both of us since we have worked our arses off for the past several years!

Good luck to you all!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice for the clearinghouse (after going through it with a friend in a previous year) is to bust butt and send emails as soon as the time opens. A team of 5 people in a station with about 3 computers, printer, one fax machine, and a phone is helpful. One person to fax, 2-3 to send emails on your behalf, another to scour the list and cross off sites that aren't APA approved/dont fit your career goals, and the DCT to make phone calls on your behalf. It's a hard process but my friend was fruitful in finding a site. It also doesn't hurt to email all the current faculty and previous students from your program for networking. Someone may be able to make a call to a site on your behalf and that can make all the difference!

Matched, too. SO happy!

For anyone who is doing clearinghouse, I learned something that may be useful from a friend who did this last year. There is a list/forum/some technical term I don't know on the APPIC website that lists the emails that get sent out in the clearinghouse. We discovered that emails got posted on this list awhile before the emails were received by applicants. So, I suggest finding this link and using it on Mon so you can be super fast. Good luck!

Congrats to all who matched! I'm sad to say that luck wasn't on my side today. Although I was kind of expecting this (only having 3 interviews), it still stings a bit.

GL to all who are going into the clearinghouse...I'm positive there will be something great for you!

Congrats to everyone who matched! I was excited that I matched too! For those who didn't...don't give up...there are always some excellent sites there! I am looking forward to seeing where everyone ends up on Monday :)

I am looking forward to seeing where everyone ends up on Monday :)

Me too! I'm curious to see if there's any overlap in our sites, like if any SDNers will be working with each other for the next year..?

Congrats to everyone who matched! I did to, and while I was pretty optimistic it was still soooo nice to actually get the notification.

This is possibly the longest weekend ever but we'll find out tomorrow morning and I am so excited I can hardly focus on all the work I need to be doing (especially if I match somewhere that starts in July...gulp!)

For those of you who may have gone through the clearinghouse, or who have helped a classmate, do many competitive sites participate in the clearinghouse? By competitive I mean academic medical centers, or well-respected VAs? I'm just trying to have a little bit of a better idea what to expect tomorrow.

Thanks!

For those of you who may have gone through the clearinghouse, or who have helped a classmate, do many competitive sites participate in the clearinghouse? By competitive I mean academic medical centers, or well-respected VAs? I'm just trying to have a little bit of a better idea what to expect tomorrow.

Thanks!

Really good question. I've actually been trying to access an old CH list for weeks. Can't find anything of the sort. What I do know is a classmate who didn't match 2 cycles ago ended up at UCSD/La Jolla VA through the clearinghouse. So it does happen...

I know of 2 individuals who got hospital internships (APA approved) through the clearinghouse. One went to UMDNJ, another to a hospital in NYC.

There are definitely some competitive placements that slip through the cracks, but they tend to get SLAMMED with applications. The hospital sites in particular seem to get a ton of applications. My advice to you if you find a very competitive site out there, get your stuff in as quickly as possible because it will 'close out' (not accept any more applications before even making cuts), and then hope you can have someone call over on your behalf (if there are pre-existing relationships, etc).

I'd say the vast majority of APA-approved sites go in the first day, with other ones straggling in after that. Sometimes interns fall through and a spot becomes available, though that is the exception. Other times a place will be able to fund another spot or their initial budget cuts didn't happen (but with the economy...this may be less likely this year).

Speed matters in Clearing House, so PLEASE have people help you with the process.

I just wanted to send some well wishes to those participating in the CH. As someone who only got 2 interviews (and 1 free for all open house), I was quite prepared to be among you. I dodged the odds bullet this time.

But I do hope you all already know that this experience in no way defines you, nor does it speak to your current abilities or future potential. It's an imperfect system. I wish you stamina & fortitude over the next hours or days. The best of luck to you. :luck:

Good luck to those in CH. I signed up for the email list last year to see what kinds of things showed up. There were a number of APA approved sites, but as others have said they go quickly. Also, CH lasts for months. I had emails from August, one from the Lexington VA which had gotten some extra funding and had 1 slot added. Go figure.

Good luck to everyone navigating the CH today!!!

Anyway, as time until 10am is going incredibly slow - I can always find something to worry about! :)

I just had a quick question regarding contact with the sites we are matched to. On the paperwork from NMS I received, I noticed it says that we should "...contact the training site to which you are matched as soon as possible after 11am....to acknowledge the match result." However, I thought I heard or read somewhere else that training directors would be calling us. It also seems like everyone will probably end up calling around the same time and likely not be able to speak directly to their TD. Wouldn't it be easier to wait to hear from the TD instead of us calling?

So, I was just wondering if everyone was planning to call their TD as soon as you hear?

I'm so jittery I can hardly type :)

From what I read the TD contacts you. I think the thing about contacting them ASAP was in case you weren't going to be available at the number you put on your APPIC forms. If that's the case you should call so they know what's going on but otherwise I think it makes sense to wait. If it's been a while and you still haven't received a call then maybe you should contact them but I agree that if a dozen people all try calling at once it's going to be madness!

Good luck to everyone navigating the CH today!!!

Anyway, as time until 10am is going incredibly slow - I can always find something to worry about! :)

I just had a quick question regarding contact with the sites we are matched to. On the paperwork from NMS I received, I noticed it says that we should "...contact the training site to which you are matched as soon as possible after 11am....to acknowledge the match result." However, I thought I heard or read somewhere else that training directors would be calling us. It also seems like everyone will probably end up calling around the same time and likely not be able to speak directly to their TD. Wouldn't it be easier to wait to hear from the TD instead of us calling?

So, I was just wondering if everyone was planning to call their TD as soon as you hear?
I think I will wait to hear from the TD. One of the previous emails from Greg Keilin said:
"After 11:00 am EST on Match Day, most Training Directors prefer to contact the applicants to whom they have been matched in order to give the day a more personal touch. Some Training Directors have told us about attempting to contact their new interns on Match Day, only to be disappointed that some cannot be reached. Applicants are reminded that they specified on their AAPIs a telephone number where they could be reached by Training Directors between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm EST on Match Day. If your plans have changed and you are unable to be at that number during that time, do NOT contact sites to correct that information -- instead, APPIC simply encourages you to call your new Training Director after 11:00 am EST on Match Day."

Wish that email would arrive already.. I can't get back to sleep!

Got my first choice!!!! YAY! Metropolitan Detention Center in Los Angeles!

Got my 1st choice too: University of Wisconsin, Madison - Psychiatry

!!!! :love:

First choice here, too!! Boston Consortium!! I still can't believe it!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Hooray! I'll be at the Danielsen Institute, which was basically tied for first place with another site. I'm very happy!

Headed to the University of Rochester - Psychiatry. Child and Adolescent Program!!!!

I am SOOO excited :) :thumbup: :)

I got the Watson Institute in Sewickley which was my second choice and means I don't have to move! I am so excited :)

Tarzana Treatment Centers, Los Angeles :)

Congrats to everyone! I'm really happy with what I ended up with...it's a nice researchy place (which is what I'm into), cool clinical opps, good academic placement record, so it'll be good for me. And I liked the location a lot. A really good match, overall. It's all still sinking in, though-- it's weird to think that I am now legally bound to move to a city I've hardly been to before.

For Eruca and PD2004, I really liked both Boston Consortium and UWisc-- BC was next on my rank order list and UW was a little further down, so if I hadn't ended up where I did maybe we'd have been internship buddies!

I matched at UCLA, which I am super excited about!

Congrats to everyone who matched and good luck to those awaiting CH openings. It looks like a lot of folks here did really well - that's fantastic!

Goodluck to everybody doing the clearinghouse, I hope you find good placements!

I got Colorado State, which I'm super psyched about. Yes! Finally a place I can afford to live!

Thanks T4C for all your work on this site, it has definitely helped me cope with this stressful process!:laugh:

I got Colorado State, which I'm super psyched about. Yes! Finally a place I can afford to live!

Seriously!

I love S. FL, but it isn't exactly affordable!

Thanks T4C for all your work on this site, it has definitely helped me cope with this stressful process!:laugh:

Thanks.

It really has been helpful to have a running dialogue on here, as people outside of programs have no idea, and sometimes you don't want to talk to people in your program....because you see them all of the time!

Here are the APPIC match #'s:

APPIC MATCH NEWS
---
2009 APPIC MATCH REPORT FROM THE APPIC BOARD OF DIRECTORS

February 23, 2009

We are pleased to report that 2,752 applicants were successfully matched to internship positions. A total of 45% of all applicants who obtained a position matched to their first choice internship program, approximately two-thirds (66%) received one of their top two choices, and nearly four-in-five (78%) received one of their top three choices.

A total of 846 applicants were not matched to an internship position, while 299 positions remained unfilled. This is the highest number of unmatched applicants to date, slightly exceeding the 842 unmatched applicants from the 2007 APPIC Match.

Compared to the 2008 APPIC Match, the number of registered applicants increased by 66 (1.8%) to a record 3,825 applicants, while the number of internship positions decreased by 7 (0.2%) to 3,051 positions. It should be noted that on September 30, 2008, initial 2009 Match registration figures showed an encouraging increase of 243 registered positions as compared to the same date in 2007. However, this increase was not sustained over time as the economic downturn worsened in the months leading up to Match Day, resulting in positions being removed from the Match due to a loss of (or uncertainty regarding) funding.

Here are the changes in numbers of applicants and positions as compared to the 2008 APPIC Match:

Applicants: Registered for the Match...........+66
Withdrew or did not submit ranks................-40
Matched.................................................+3
Unmatched...........................................+103

Positions: Offered in the Match....................-7
Filled......................................................+3
Unfilled...................................................-10

Following is a seven year comparison of the 2002 and 2009 Match statistics:

.............................2002.......2009.....7-YEAR CHANGE

Participating Sites:.....610.........666..........+56 ( +9%)
Positions Offered:....2,752......3,051.........+299 (+11%)
Positions Filled:...... 2,410......2,752.........+342 (+14%)
Positions Unfilled:.......342........299...........-43 (-13%)

Registered Applicants:...3,073...3,825...... +752 (+24%)
Withdrawn Applicants:..... 231.....227...........-4 ( -2%)
Matched Applicants:......2,410..2,752........+342 (+14%)
Unmatched Applicants:.... 432.....846........+414 (+96%)

INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS
===================

PARTICIPATION
-------------

Training Sites Participating in the Match 666
Programs Participating in the Match 1,146
Positions Offered in the Match 3,051

NOTE: A "training site" can offer more than one "program"
in the Match. Each "program" was identified in the
Match by a separate 6-digit code number.

MATCH RESULTS
-------------

Positions: Filled in the Match 2,752 (90%)
Remaining Unfilled 299 (10%)

Programs: Filled in the Match 984 (86%)
With Unfilled Positions 162 (14%)

NOTE: 39 programs at 35 sites submitted fewer ranks than the number of positions available. As a result, no ranks were submitted for 77 positions, which remained unfilled.

APA or CPA Accredited Positions:
Filled in the Match 2,242 (97%)
Remaining Unfilled 80 (3%)
Total 2,322

Non-Accredited Positions
Filled in the Match 510 (70%)
Remaining Unfilled 219 (30%)
Total 729

Non-accredited positions represented 73.2% of all unfilled positions.

RANKINGS
--------

Average Number of Applicants Ranked Per Position Offered for Each Program:

Programs Filling All Positions 8.4
Programs With Unfilled Positions 2.5
All Programs 7.5

Each Registered Applicant was Ranked by an Average of 5.3 Different Programs
APPLICANTS
==========

PARTICIPATION
-------------

Applicants Registered in the Match 3,825
Applicants Who Withdrew or Did Not Submit Ranks 227
Applicants Participating in the Match 3,598
(includes 42 individuals who participated in the Match as 21 "couples")

MATCH RESULTS
-------------

Applicants Matched 2,752 (76%)
Participating Applicants Not Matched 846 (24%)

Match Results by Rank Number on Applicant's List:
(percentages may not total to 100 due to rounding errors)

Rank Number of Applicants

1 1,233 (45%)
2 582 (21%)
3 342 (12%)
4 218 ( 8%)
5 137 ( 5%)
6 93 ( 3%)
7 63 ( 2%)
8 25 ( 1%)
9 24 ( 1%)
10 or higher 35 ( 1%)

Total 2,752 (100%)

RANKINGS
--------

Average Number of Rankings Submitted Per Applicant:

Matched Applicants 7.7
Unmatched Applicants 4.5
Overall 6.9

Each Position was Ranked by an Average of 8.2 Applicants

======================================================================
2009 APPIC MATCH REPORT #2: SUMMARY OF PROGRAM RANKINGS

February 23, 2009

The following report contains additional statistics on how successful programs were, on average, in matching with applicants.

There are several important issues that must be considered in attempting to analyze program success based on the rank numbers of matched applicants.

DEFINITIONAL PROBLEMS: Because each applicant submitted a single Rank Order List in order to match to a single position, it is easy to identify his or her "first choice," "second choice," etc. However, for an internship program, determining first or second choice applicants is a far more difficult and complex task. First, many programs attempt to fill several positions; if a program has three positions to fill, an applicant ranked third by that program can in effect be considered a "first choice" for purposes of the Match. Furthermore, a significant number of sites submitted multiple Rank Order Lists for a single program, sometimes ranking the same applicant on different Lists with different rank numbers. Also, the reversion of unfilled positions between lists adds a further complication to this analysis.

We worked closely with National Matching Services in an attempt to resolve these difficulties and to develop a reasonable method of presenting this data.

STANDARDIZED RANKINGS: For the purposes of this analysis, we converted each site's rankings to a "standardized rank." This is best explained by example: if the number of positions to be filled from a Rank Order List was three, then the first three applicants on this List were considered to be "first choice" applicants and given a standardized rank of 1. The next three applicants on that List were defined as "second choice" applicants and given a standardized rank of 2. And so on.

Match Results by Standardized Rank Number on Internship Program List (percentages may not total to 100 due to rounding errors)

Standardized Rank Number of Applicants Matched
1 1,021 (37%)
2 711 (26%)
3 506 (18%)
4 269 (10%)
5 116 ( 4%)
6 59 ( 2%)
7 33 ( 1%)
8 11 ( 0%)
9 5 ( 0%)
10 or higher 21 ( 1%)

Total 2,752 (100%)

To interpret this chart: of all positions that were filled in the Match, 37% were filled with "first choice" applicants (as defined above), 26% with "second choice" applicants, and so on.

Furthermore, 63% were filled with "first" or "second" choice applicants, while 81% were filled with "third choice" applicants or better.

Of course, comparing these numbers to applicants' Match statistics should be done with extreme caution, given the significantly different ways in how "first choice", "second choice", etc. were defined in each analysis.

Last edited:

I'll be leaving CO for internship.. which is a toughie. You will love it here!

Last edited:
News from the clearinghouse front: Things have slowed quite a bit. I can't say I found much, as I didn't apply to any sites. Most of the APA-accredited sites were counseling centers (which isn't my thing). There was one decent VA, but it was not in my specialty. All in all, I was just taking a peak in to see what was there, but I was (and am) planning on staying another year.

Hope others had better luck!