2009-2010 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are Meharry's colors?

Maroon and White.

I think the dental school wears green for some things -- like the scrubs are green for 1st years (???). I'm not sure, as they've recently introduced this scrub color by year thing in the dental school.

Can the people that get interviewed, accepted, rejected please put the date they received a completed secondary e-mail, the date they received an interview request/rejection, and also their stats? It doesn't do much help to others if you just post accepted/ received an interview.
Having said that good luck to everyone and thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can the people that get interviewed, accepted, rejected please put the date they received a completed secondary e-mail, the date they received an interview request/rejection, and also their stats? It doesn't do much help to others if you just post accepted/ received an interview.
Having said that good luck to everyone and thank you.

people with lower stats can get accepted over people with higher stats. I think it just depends on if they like you. such is life

people with lower stats can get accepted over people with higher stats. I think it just depends on if they like you. such is life

Most def. Well, actually I believe this statement needs a stipulation. Personally, I am starting to come to my own little theory about admissions practices for HBCU med schools. I almost feel that they first "look out for their own." By this, I mean that (all else being equal) they'll quickly take an applicant from an HBCU undergrad over one from a Top 10 school. Personally, I think (and perhaps they have reason/evidence to base this on) they feel like an applicant from a similar undergrad institution is more likely to chose their medical school than someone from a top PWI.

Piggybacking off this point, I feel that as long as you aren't from a top school with lower stats, you stand a pretty good shot at getting in here. Sounds backwards, I know, but follow my logic. I think they feel that if you went to a Big Name School, other AdComs are more likely to cut you some slack than someone from a Small Name School (unfair, but probably true). I also feel that with limited interview slots, they are trying to interview people they think will actually chose them. Hence why I feel that people (well, just URMs) with lower stats from HBCUs and smaller schools have a better shot at gaining admittance here than those with the same stats from higher ranked schools.

[disclaimer: all opinions expressed here are solely my opinions based on my own experience applying, as well as those of my friends, those on SDN, and MDapplicants]

Non-AA, non-URM stats above their median, placed on hold today :(

Does anyone know if pre-interview holds are equivalent to a rejection at Meharry?

Does anyone know if pre-interview holds are equivalent to a rejection at Meharry?

not sure, been complete for about a month now and still havent heard a thing. i figure i'm not getting an interview.

since they just started interviewing VERY end of october, their interview season is longer than most schools. I had a friend that was complete in the fall and didn't interview until April. so for those of you worried about not having much of a chance all hope is not lost! It's not over until it's over...

I've been complete for awhile, but I haven't been rejected yet so we shall see...

having your application on hold does not equal rejection. Its actually better than rejection. You are kind of in between. I was put on hold during my application cycle also. All schools do this. Not everyone they offer a spot will come. So once someone withdraws their application, they go to the hold/waiting list. With regards to meharry, I completed my application in fall, put on hold in early january, interviewed in April.

Sometimes people sit on more than one acceptances for months holding up spots. I think the deadline to decide if you will attend or not is May so between now and then you definately have a chance. I won't worry too much now. Just make sure you call the admissions office of the schools you apply to occasionally just to bug them, respectfully of course.

i asked about the essay i was told one to two I did about one and ahlf. I think you should be more concerned about answering the question and not a word limit since they do not give one but I don't give a life story;)

I would think that because they receive so many, there is no need to intentionally make it lengthy. As long as you address your unique desire to attend there and that you want to work with disparate populations.

I'm of the mindset that if you can get to the point in ten words...don't give me 1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing 12/11! Praise the Lord!

I completed 10/7...received invite 11/3...

What is the confirmation e-mail? I have one giving the date but is there an additional e-mail as well?

After reading this thread seems like a great school!

I have just received my first acceptance!!! Praise the LORD!!!

how did you find out?

Interview invite!!! God must have saw me gettin a lil discouraged. Thank you Lord!!!

Just got one today!!! Woohooo it's my first one!!! I'm so excited!

I'm Asian Female with okay stats.

cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 29S

I would love to go here because I want to practice in undeserved urban communities and I know this is a great place for that!

Interview: 1/11

Wish me luck!:laugh:

congrats on all the interviews :):) when where you guys complete?!

Interview invite for January 11 as well!!! God is so good yall!!

24 mcat, 3.51c, 3.27s, OOS, complete on 10/7, sent in additional LOR on 11/4

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm soooooo excited!! I can't wait to meet you all :D!!

how did you find out?

They emailed me. It really stings because I have really expressed an interest in this school, have higher than average stats for this school, yet they won't interview me "right now" :(

I just now submitted my app and I dont know when I'll be complete. Am I to late? I waited because I had monetary issues.:scared:

I just now submitted my app and I dont know when I'll be complete. Am I to late? I waited because I had monetary issues.:scared:

As long as you submitted before their deadline you should be fine. Also, the first interview wasn't until Oct 30th so you really aren't late for this school. Meharry starts their interviewing season later but also ends later. I know someone who had an interview in April last year. Good luck to you!

:confused:Thanks! Im trying to find out more about this school, I want to know how they go about things. I went to an Bad hbcu for undergrad and dont want the same thing. Any info. ppl?

I'm going to b n Missouri for an interview on 1/21, so I rescheduled my 12/11 Meharry interview for 1/22. So there is a 12/11 opening if it is a better date for anyone.

Applied Oct. 23rd, Received Nov. 3rd, Complete Nov. 9th....
Interview Invite on Nov. 24th for Dec. 7th..
Yipee.
Anyone else for that day?

Applied Oct. 23rd, Received Nov. 3rd, Complete Nov. 9th....
Interview Invite on Nov. 24th for Dec. 7th..
Yipee.
Anyone else for that day?
See you there!

Complete on 10/19, still waiting to hear something. Anyone in a similar situation? I am contemplating on calling them to find out what my status is. Seeing ppl who were complete after I was, makes me feel uneasy. I am still trusting God.

Complete on 10/19, still waiting to hear something. Anyone in a similar situation? I am contemplating on calling them to find out what my status is. Seeing ppl who were complete after I was, makes me feel uneasy. I am still trusting God.

Hey
I was complete 10/9 and still haven't heard anything. The complete email said give them up to eight weeks. So if I don't hear anything by next friday I'm def giving them a call. That's if my patience can last that long:scared:

Hey
I was complete 10/9 and still haven't heard anything. The complete email said give them up to eight weeks. So if I don't hear anything by next friday I'm def giving them a call. That's if my patience can last that long:scared:

well I've been complete longer than both of you! I think I'm going to call and/or send a letter of interest or whatever because at this point I have nothing to lose. Do you know where I can find the correct number to call them? Usually schools tell you a number/email address that they prefer to be contacted at. There wasn't a contact number in my complete email...

The only thing I want for christmas is an acceptance letter from Meharry. Lol

The only thing I want for christmas is an acceptance letter from Meharry. Lol
i will be glad with an interview invite as a christmas present.....i can still use the acceptance as an early valentine gift. LMAO

Interview invite for January 11 as well!!! God is so good yall!!

24 mcat, 3.51c, 3.27s, OOS, complete on 10/7, sent in additional LOR on 11/4

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm soooooo excited!! I can't wait to meet you all :D!!

Hey we have similar stats!!! I hope to see you there :) Are you staying at a hotel or student hosting?

Good luck for all of those waiting for interviews, who have already interviewed and are awaiting decisions or have already been accepted. After some soul searching I realized that this was not the place for me, even though I liked Meharry. I withdrew my acceptance so as not to make someone wait until May for a decision especially if Meharry is their top choice

I just finished reading last year's thread and it's really different from this one! I think you guys should all check it out because it has a lot of interesting comments/suggestions.

After reading it I really feel that this is the right school for me. I just hope they like me!

Good luck to everyone interviewing, tell us how it went!

Hey we have similar stats!!! I hope to see you there :) Are you staying at a hotel or student hosting?

Oh you will DEFINITELY see me there!! I think I might stay with a student host if one is available. I didn't see anything about it in Mr. Graves' email, so I'm going to email him about it. Have you bought your plane ticket yet? They're pretty cheap right now!

How does the waiting list work at Meharry? Do they wait until the end of the cyle to begin accepting students off of it? OR Do they gradually accept students off of it as the cycle goes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.