2009-2010 Pathology applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU
UVM
Univ of MN
Vanderbilt
MCV/Virginia Commonwealth
UNM (Albuquerque)
UMD
UT Southwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU
UVM
Univ of MN
Vanderbilt
UNM (Albuquerque)
UMD
UT Southwestern
UCLA
UF
USF

Einstein
Case Western
Michigan
Penn
Utah
Emory
Scott & White
Metro Health
MCW
Yale
Methodist
MGH
BIDMC
UCSD
JHU
UVM
Univ of MN
Vanderbilt
UMass
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UNM (Albuquerque)
UMD
UT Southwestern
UCLA
UF
USF

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received another interview invite from Baylor at Dallas. I added this to the list and also re-ordered the list alphabetically.

Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
Yale

Strong work Sulfinator, much easier to follow.

Didn't notice any Chicago area programs on the list yet. Has anyone applied to any of those programs and/or heard anything?

I applied to most the chicago programs. Rush has yet to download my app the last time I checked. Northwestern just emailed me yesterday to let me know they were reviewing applications.

Apparently for IMGs some programs wait for Step 2 CS results, which is making me ever more nervous.

Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
Yale

Anyone received more than a receipt from Northwestern?

Anyone received more than a receipt from Northwestern?

I haven't even gotten that...:scared:

Rush hasn't downloaded my app either.

Last edited:
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
Yale

I haven't even gotten that...:scared:

Rush hasn't downloaded my app either.

I didn't get the message from NW either. Most likely because my app's main purpose is to look pretty in trash bins.

long time first time

I got my interview from University of Chicago today, so they are at least sending them out. Otherwise I have interviews from Penn, Michigan, Yale, Vandy, Methodist, Florida, Indiana, and MCOW. Did anyone else get asked about a 2 day interview at michigan? What is the second day for?

I haven't received any notice from Northwestern either, and as far as I know, I just have a standard one day interview at Michigan.

Continued good luck everybody :)

Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
Yale

by the way, is everyone getting interview invites by email? any by phone call or by snail mail?

by the way, is everyone getting interview invites by email? any by phone call or by snail mail?

All email. One email without ERAS notification, but none vice versa.

Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
Tulane
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Last edited:
Adding University of Chicago for Fuzzy Dunlop :)

Arizona (Tucson)

Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UF
U of Chicago
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Hello all,

Congrats on all the interview invites! What an exciting time. I am a new poster and have run into a bit of a situation. I just received an interview invite from UCSF and was notified about a new requirement stating that all candidates beginning a residency program in June 2010 are required to have completed and passed Step II CK AND CS prior to ranking, meaning that the latest we could take these exams is November of this year to have results available by Feb. CK should be no problem, but the earliest time slot I can get to take CS is now in Feb. Is anyone else here going to run into the same problem? Is this a common trend now among Cali programs? It's news to me...this whole time I was under the impression that CS could be delayed till spring which is what most of my classmates are doing and our school's requirement is that we take the test sometime before graduation.

Any ideas on how to rectify this situation? Thanks and good luck!!

All email. One email without ERAS notification, but none vice versa.

Yes. I also got one of my invites though email without any ERAS notification (I'm guessing that umbrella and I got our 'non-ERAS' invites from the same institution).

Hello all,

Congrats on all the interview invites! What an exciting time. I am a new poster and have run into a bit of a situation. I just received an interview invite from UCSF and was notified about a new requirement stating that all candidates beginning a residency program in June 2010 are required to have completed and passed Step II CK AND CS prior to ranking, meaning that the latest we could take these exams is November of this year to have results available by Feb. CK should be no problem, but the earliest time slot I can get to take CS is now in Feb. Is anyone else here going to run into the same problem? Is this a common trend now among Cali programs? It's news to me...this whole time I was under the impression that CS could be delayed till spring which is what most of my classmates are doing and our school's requirement is that we take the test sometime before graduation.

That is really bizarre. Maybe CK I can understand, but CS? If you take it in Feb before ranking is finalized, can you let them know that you took it before ranking, even if the results aren't in? Can you call the residency program secretary and ask about the situation?

And UCSF for GooseIsland

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Hey, those of you with Chicago and N'western interviews - are your apps complete (minus the MSPE of course)? Just trying to get a sense of whether I'm in the trash bin or not. Thanks!

Does anybody have any idea about their pathology program? are their residents able to get into prestigious fellowships like dermatopath after wards?

Hey, those of you with Chicago and N'western interviews - are your apps complete (minus the MSPE of course)? Just trying to get a sense of whether I'm in the trash bin or not. Thanks!

I submitted the evening of September 9th with 2 letters. My third letter arrived that Friday. I heard from Northwestern last Thursday, but have yet to hear anything from U of Chicago.

Hope this helps. I think it's easy to get a little worried, but it's still early (at least, that's what I'm telling myself ;)). :)

Also, with regards to Utah...from what I understand, it is a very strong program, especially with regards to clinical (but I think well rounded with strong AP as well). I think others have asked this question before about competitive fellowships with the answer being "yes." You might find some discussion with a search of Utah threads.

Thanks Umbrella! I'm a little neurotic by nature, and this process brings it out even more. I'm also nervous b/c I'm not a 4th year student, I graduated this year but deferred because I decided on path too late for applying last year. I've been productive during my time away (submitting research project to USCAP conference:xf:) but I'm paranoid my status as being already graduated will be a black mark on my app.

Sorry if that's TMI guys. Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

Hello all,

I've heard about IMGs needing CS prior to ranking; but as for my class about half of us are taking it Feb.(I'm in this half) And I don't think that at this point it can be scheduled any earilier. The only requirement I've seen for US grads is to have it done prior to joining - and my school reqs it for graduation. It's definitely something to keep an eye on. What schools have you seen this with?

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale <!-- / message --><!-- SDNCODE: one sig per thread --><!-- /SDNCODE: one sig per thread -->

I've heard about IMGs needing CS prior to ranking; but as for my class about half of us are taking it Feb.(I'm in this half) And I don't think that at this point it can be scheduled any earilier. The only requirement I've seen for US grads is to have it done prior to joining - and my school reqs it for graduation. It's definitely something to keep an eye on. What schools have you seen this with?

The match itself requires CK and CS passed before match day for IMGs, or you will not match. Certain programs require graduation and CK and CS before interviewing for IMGs, which is "challenging" for US citizen IMGs who typically apply in their fourth years (like regular US students).

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
Case Western
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale
<!-- / message --><!-- SDNCODE: one sig per thread --><!-- /SDNCODE: one sig per thread -->

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale
<!-- / message --><!-- SDNCODE: one sig per thread --><!-- /SDNCODE: one sig per thread -->

Just curious, but is there a reason people are applying to so many path programs at a time? Is it just to get a feel for different places and programs? Is it fear of not getting ranked somewhere?

Just curious, but is there a reason people are applying to so many path programs at a time? Is it just to get a feel for different places and programs? Is it fear of not getting ranked somewhere?

How many do you think is "so many?" I only applied to 8 (that seems to be significantly fewer than most applicants). I just picked some places I thought I would be interested in. They are a little bit scattered, geographically; and I am certainly wanting to get "a feel" for these different programs. I don't know why some people apply to 20 or 30. I'm not sure I'm going to be interested in doing more than 6 interviews.

How many do you think is "so many?" I only applied to 8 (that seems to be significantly fewer than most applicants). I just picked some places I thought I would be interested in. They are a little bit scattered, geographically; and I am certainly wanting to get "a feel" for these different programs. I don't know why some people apply to 20 or 30. I'm not sure I'm going to be interested in doing more than 6 interviews.

8 is not too many at all, I just see these huge lists of places people applied to and wonder why. I only applied to 6 when I was applying, but then again I limited myself geographically, and didn't even go to 1 of the 6 interviews. I know people in my program who did the massive application thing, but they all seemed to get their first choice anyways, and got interviews at every place so it just seemed strange to me. Path isn't derm or optho, so as long as you did fairly well in school and didn't tank your boards you'll get a good spot. As my advisor in med school said, "If you speak English and come from a US med school, you'll get a good path residency." I got my first choice as well. And I don't think I've ever heard of someone NOT matching in path at least somewhere.

Yea I applied to way too many but since I am a DO I just didnt know how schools would react even though I took both USMLE steps and did well on those. So we will see. Getting interviews so far so I hope the DO thing isn't going to hold me back. But that's why I applied to too many. Most people I talk to from last year said they applied to way too many and also got close if not their first choice as well.

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Univ of MN
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

Personally, my dean (he's a pathologist) was kind of a debbie downer and told me that I "might" get "some interviews" even though I have a decent application. My path clerkship director told me to apply to 6 or 7. I didn't believe him. I applied to 20 and am now learning the error of my ways.

on a totally unrelated note, I'm on an medicine ICU rotation. When people ask me what I'm going into, they make fun of me for going into path. Then, there's inevitably a short pause, and then they say "...actually...you probably made a pretty good decision."

Wah-wah..

Sidenote: No offense to your dean, but based on the interviews you've posted, TF, your dean is clearly a crackhead.

Have a good weekend all!

I probably applied to too many - almost 30. Mostly because I am OCD and used FRIEDA with a few restrictions and then narrowed down from there. I did not want to miss a really good program because they weren't a 'big name'. I did however, underestimate the number of responses that I would get from my application.

I probably applied to too many - almost 30. Mostly because I am OCD and used FRIEDA with a few restrictions and then narrowed down from there. I did not want to miss a really good program because they weren't a 'big name'. I did however, underestimate the number of responses that I would get from my application.

I am guilty of this too. I applied to a lot of 'dream' programs and didn't expect to actually get responses from some of them. Also, I sent my application to several programs I'm not considering seriously, but am applying there because they are close by.

I applied to a lot of programs, because I didn't know who would respond. With that said, I have started to withdraw myself from programs because I don't want them to waste their time poring over my application when I have no intention of interviewing there. It's the right thing to do, IMHO.

Last edited:
Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

I have. One interview at OU in Oklahoma...I jumped all over that!!!

Submit your application...you may get interviews even if your LORs aren't up yet. I got an interview and my LORs aren't up yet.

Anyone heard from Duke?

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

My LOR was recieved into ERAS like 6 days ago but still has not been uploaded to the PostOffice. Is this a normal amount of time to wait? It is my path LOR so it is vital to my app.

Here is hopin to more invites!

Arizona (Tucson)
Baylor (Dallas)
BIDMC
BWH
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic
Columbia
Drexel
Einstein
Emory
Iowa
JHU
MCW
MGH
Methodist
Metro Health
Michigan
MUSC
Northwestern
Ohio State
Penn
Pittsburgh
Scott & White
Stanford
St. Josephs' (Phoenix)
UAB
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UF
U of Chicago
U of Chicago/NorthShore
UIC
UMD
UMass
UMN
UMDNJ (Newark)
UNC
UNM (Albuquerque)
USF
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVM
UVA
Utah
Vanderbilt
WashU (St Louis)
Yale

My LOR was recieved into ERAS like 6 days ago but still has not been uploaded to the PostOffice. Is this a normal amount of time to wait? It is my path LOR so it is vital to my app.

Here is hopin to more invites!

Is this something you can call the ERAS people about? 6+ days would worry me a little. good luck and congrats on MUSC.

Thanks! I emailed eras and they fixed it right away, some glitch.