2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somone provide me insight on how to approch these two questions with my unique situation please?

Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September 2010.

Does your academic record show a time gap or reflect a non-traditional calendar?:

I spent almost a year recovering from my health condition, spending nearly 2 months in the hospital. Now that i have recovered, i am applying and it will be two years off from my time of my graduation to going to med school. Is this considered non-traditional? If so, would my answer for these two question be the same? since I have been conducting the same acitivites. if it is the same then how should i approch them w/o sounding lazy to the adcom as i may have to leave out one of them blank. I'd appriciate for the comments :), Thankyou!

I believe that the time gap means for example if you took time off during your undergrad years. It doesn't apply to the time you took off after your graduation. (of course, I'm assuming that this gap question asks the same thing for most schools -- when I called one of the admissions office and asked, that is what they told me.. gap refers only to during undergrad)

I don't think 2 years off is considered nontraditional... i think you'd be nontraditional if you were in a completely different field for a while and then decided to apply -- I'm guessing you graduated in 2007 then? I did too, and I'm not considered nontrad.

Members don't see this ad.

I helped twart the rape of my roommate and then helped her feel safe that night. Is this too racy to write about on a med school app?

well... i had initially written about something that i wasn't sure that adcoms would be comfortable reading. one of my old professors (who's on adcom for md/phd so i dont know if this also applies to md only apps) read it and said that there's a good chance that your reader might not get it/want to read about it..
so I guess its a bit risky but if you can make it not too .. 'racy' but still get your point across then i'd do it, but personally i think i'd also want to stay away from that too

I believe that the time gap means for example if you took time off during your undergrad years. It doesn't apply to the time you took off after your graduation. (of course, I'm assuming that this gap question asks the same thing for most schools -- when I called one of the admissions office and asked, that is what they told me.. gap refers only to during undergrad)

I don't think 2 years off is considered nontraditional... i think you'd be nontraditional if you were in a completely different field for a while and then decided to apply -- I'm guessing you graduated in 2007 then? I did too, and I'm not considered nontrad.

Thankyou!, I graduated in 2008. So basically it's been a year up until now and it will another year when i start med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone giving their letter writers these instructions and having them re-do letters if they didn't include everything specified?

Is everyone giving their letter writers these instructions and having them re-do letters if they didn't include everything specified?
what do you mean everything specified? I'll I've seen is that they need 2 letters, one from someone who has been in contact with you recently.

Either way, I'm not going through the hassle of redoing letters. If they don't like the ones I have then tough!

what do you mean everything specified? I'll I've seen is that they need 2 letters, one from someone who has been in contact with you recently.

Either way, I'm not going through the hassle of redoing letters. If they don't like the ones I have then tough!

The instructions that you are supposed to print out and give to the writers specify a few things that they should include in the letters. I feel the same way you do though; it's too much hassle for you and for the writers.

Did anyone get another e-mail from Rush stating there mission, talking about their hospital, and the rush transformation project?

Yeah, and does yours invite you to do the supplemental at the end, even though you've already gotten an email asking you to do the supp?

hmm... i got an email today informing me that Rush's secondary app is now available and they can't wait for me to fill it out!! buuut i definitely submitted it like 5 days ago. hope this is ok lol

hmm... i got an email today informing me that Rush's secondary app is now available and they can't wait for me to fill it out!! buuut i definitely submitted it like 5 days ago. hope this is ok lol
lol its an auto email to all applicants dont worry

9. Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September 2010. (1000 characters max)

hey guys for this one, anyone know if they want specific courses, or just indicate full time enrollment + activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the 2 letters they ask for is the maximum number you can send?

9. Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September 2010. (1000 characters max)

hey guys for this one, anyone know if they want specific courses, or just indicate full time enrollment + activities?

whoa! the first time i logged on this question asked for activities from july 2010-sept 2010 and now it starts with july 2009! i'm really glad you posted or i never would have caught that!

they give 1000 characters, so i would say go ahead and list all your classes?

for the health care employment, i worked at the red cross national headquarters in biomedical services. i worked in compliance and looked at sustained compliance with FDA orders.
this isn't patient interaction at all but it's still health regulations for donors and blood transfusion recipients.

think this counts as health care?

definitely not! i asked them. they do letters through amcas so (like most other schools who use amcas letters) they consider everything that's in your file. not to worry ;)

for the health care employment, i worked at the red cross national headquarters in biomedical services. i worked in compliance and looked at sustained compliance with FDA orders.
this isn't patient interaction at all but it's still health regulations for donors and blood transfusion recipients.

think this counts as health care?

red cross national headquarters?? yes. that is certainly health care.

I honestly just want to write for Q#4: I'm pretty sure I wrote a 5300 character essay on the subject, do you even READ my application materials?

Just FYI, part of the reason they do that is because come interview, there is an open interview and a pseudo closed interview. In the open one, the interviewer has all your stuff, while the pseudo closed one the interviewer only sees your secondary. That's probably why there is some redundancy in the secondary.

can anyone who submitted anytime after 8/5 please tell me if they are complete?

i submitted a while ago and dont see a "complete" status but my letters have been submitted to amcas for a LONG time now (and other schools have received them)

Yeah same with me.. It's been at least 1.5 weeks since submission (sig form and secondary)... still not complete. Is your signature form in? Don't know why they are dragging their feet in completing people here.

can anyone who submitted anytime after 8/5 please tell me if they are complete?

i submitted a while ago and dont see a "complete" status but my letters have been submitted to amcas for a LONG time now (and other schools have received them)

I submitted the secondary on 8/6 and was just marked complete today after downloading my lor's. i don't know if this helps but it says they received my lor's on 8/14 but i wasn't marked complete until today. it also says that it could take up until 4 weeks for the status page to be updated. hope that helps and good luck!

I submitted the secondary on 8/6 and was just marked complete today after downloading my lor's. i don't know if this helps but it says they received my lor's on 8/14 but i wasn't marked complete until today. it also says that it could take up until 4 weeks for the status page to be updated. hope that helps and good luck!
Thanks! I guess they are just really slow at completing people.

it makes me uncomfortable that they want a copy of my birth certificate... especially since everytime I tried to acess thier secondary my computer freaked out because it doesn't have a valid certificate. I don't want to be a victim of identity theft... It asks you guys for this too right?

womp, whats your situation? submitted? status?

"YOUR FILE IS NOT COMPLETE" with big red lights flashing. Submitted 1.5 weeks ago, everything else is in, but letters haven't been uploaded by Rush yet (they have been on AMCAS since June though). Probably same as you. Maybe they complete people in batches.

it makes me uncomfortable that they want a copy of my birth certificate... especially since everytime I tried to acess thier secondary my computer freaked out because it doesn't have a valid certificate. I don't want to be a victim of identity theft... It asks you guys for this too right?
it asked me and i sent it in...i think no need to be so paranoid.

3. Separate from the previous 2 questions, have you had any experiences in which you were responsible for the care of others?: (1000 characters max)

I'm not sure exactly what this question is asking. What do they mean by "care"? Would something like babysitting or taking care of a younger brother while parents are away count as being responsible for the care of another or does it have to be medically related (ie. sick grandmother or something)?

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

3. Separate from the previous 2 questions, have you had any experiences in which you were responsible for the care of others?: (1000 characters max)

I'm not sure exactly what this question is asking. What do they mean by "care"? Would something like babysitting or taking care of a younger brother while parents are away count as being responsible for the care of another or does it have to be medically related (ie. sick grandmother or something)?

Anyone have an idea? Thanks!
id assume something medically related? I suppose it could work either way...but i think of it this way...is babysitting really important i mean did it make a difference in your life? Probably not...would caring for years for a special needs child or a very sick family member with cancer or something make an impact on your life? Yes. I think they are looking for something that might have been important...not i watched my neighbors kids so i could have money to go to the movies or buy clothes you know ? :)

id assume something medically related? I suppose it could work either way...but i think of it this way...is babysitting really important i mean did it make a difference in your life? Probably not...would caring for years for a special needs child or a very sick family member with cancer or something make an impact on your life? Yes. I think they are looking for something that might have been important...not i watched my neighbors kids so i could have money to go to the movies or buy clothes you know ? :)

Since they weren't specific I put my babysitting down. I don't think they will be annoyed if I put somethign they don't care about. They can just skip it. I am sure they just skim anyway.

Since they weren't specific I put my babysitting down. I don't think they will be annoyed if I put somethign they don't care about. They can just skip it. I am sure they just skim anyway.
if you have to put something i would think thats fine, i would just not try to make it sound more then it really was...dont try to play up the importance of something that really isnt meaningful...in the end i doubt this one question will make or break you, its just a place for some applicants to play the "im interesting" card imo :)

if you have to put something i would think thats fine, i would just not try to make it sound more then it really was...dont try to play up the importance of something that really isnt meaningful...in the end i doubt this one question will make or break you, its just a place for some applicants to play the "im interesting" card imo :)

It probably isn't the most meaningful thing I have done, but I have been doing it since I was 11 years old. Being around kids in general is one of the reasons that I know I want to be a pediatrician. But yeah I definitely think this is a toss up. I probably wouldn't have put this down if I hadn't already put somethign else in this question.

uhh . . hmm let me get this straight. so i just submitted that beastly thing, waiting for the little screen to pop up asking for my credit card info . . .

no? I have to mail you a check or money order? WTF year is this, 1982????

i hate having to mail stuff separately. same goes for the photo. i took it on my digital camera, are you going to make me pay 50 cents to print it at walgreens and go pick it up?? if i print it off my computer isnt that good enough?? and a copy of my birth certificate??

::sigh::

I've been having the same prob. with my letters not being uploaded. I sent them an email about it, but got an auto-reply back.

Not satisfied, I set about trying to find a phone number to actually talk to someone.

No phone number.

Seriously, on one of their pages their phone number listing is "please email". Kinda pissed off at how unapproachable they seemed, I set about googling their contact info.

Finally got a number for admissions from another dept, called it, and got an autorecording to the effect of "Thanks for calling! For admissions info, see our website. For questions, email us at [email protected]. This call will now be disconnected. *Click* "

Anybody else not exactly digging Rush's unapproachable/isolationist admissions dept? I've had an easier time getting a hold of my Bank/credit card company than I have this school...:mad:

$75 application fee at work here.

I've been having the same prob. with my letters not being uploaded. I sent them an email about it, but got an auto-reply back.

Not satisfied, I set about trying to find a phone number to actually talk to someone.

No phone number.

Seriously, on one of their pages their phone number listing is "please email". Kinda pissed off at how unapproachable they seemed, I set about googling their contact info.

Finally got a number for admissions from another dept, called it, and got an autorecording to the effect of "Thanks for calling! For admissions info, see our website. For questions, email us at [email protected]. This call will now be disconnected. *Click* "

Anybody else not exactly digging Rush's unapproachable/isolationist admissions dept? I've had an easier time getting a hold of my Bank/credit card company than I have this school...:mad:

The auto-reply is just to let you know they have received your e-mail and will respond to it. I've had no problems communicating with them, so far.

No phone number.

Have patience, young padawan. It took them nearly 4 weeks from the time my letters were uploaded for me to finally be complete. I had my letters submitted 7/29 and I was finally marked complete yesterday, 8/24.

Actually, if you are sending individual letters, then yes, two is the maximum. I asked them through email.

Wouldn't this put the applicants w/ a pre-med committee at an advantage bc they will have more than 2 letters in the packet?

The auto-reply is just to let you know they have received your e-mail and will respond to it. I've had no problems communicating with them, so far.

No, I think he was talking about the copy-paste message that we all got after the auto-reply:

"Thank you for applying to Rush Medical College. We only check AMCAS for letters of recommendation after we have received all other required application materials. Then, on a weekly basis, we check with AMCAS to ensure that the recommendations specified in the supplemental application are available. Thus, it can take awhile for the rushsupp website to reflect receipt of recommendations.

Please continue to monitor your applicaton status on the rushsupp website and e-mail us again in another two weeks if you still have concerns."

My application was finally completed today.

hey is anyone else having problems with their online app. I try to log in but it just erases every letter i type in?

Status
Not open for further replies.