2009-2010 Rush Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rush's secondary is finally up and available. To no one's surprise, the questions are the same as last year's.
not looking forward to writing this beast when i get back from volunteering :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

im having trouble saving my work on the second page of the secondary, anyone else having this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Indicate your planned activities between July 2010 and September 2010."

What the hell, really? Next summer? Don't a lot of medical schools start during the summer anyways? It's not like I know what I'll be doing yet.

not looking forward to writing this beast when i get back from volunteering :scared:
I did all the pre-writing for most of the prompts at volunteering this morning. Unlike most days, I made good use of our dead time.

im having trouble saving my work on the second page of the secondary, anyone else having this issue?
It's awfully flaky. One moment, the site works well. The next, it's completely frozen. Bleh.

Same thing happening here...it just won't load the next page. Hopefully we are not the only ones and they will fix it soon.

me too...guess oh well. when i click on save and continue it just does nothing....same for u guys?

same happened for me for mac safari and mac mozilla. I reentered the info on page 2 like 4 times. but when I switched to internet explorer on a PC it worked fine.

I was one of the main leaders of my showchoir during my junior and senior year in high school. Could i talk about how that highlights my leadership skills since we won multiple national and regional grand championships? If not, would talking about how I have been a mentor for my little brother from Big Brothers and Big sisters work?

Lastly- for the problem solving skills....the only thing really is my research, though I'm the only one that works on my project. Could I just say that...i made sure to coordinate when people used the pcr machine so that I wasn't getting in people's way, and I would help people with their project when I could so as to save people time and what not. Idk really, I have no activities that highlight my problem solving skills while working with people...lololol

This application makes me want to jump off my balcony. and its a long way down without much shrubbery below to cushion the fall.

i keep getting an error on the site when i try to create my login. is the max char count on all the essays still only 1000 like last year?

i want to gouge my eyes out. ir is ridiculously hard to make a good essay in only 1000 characters. rush is such a hard app. my responses were terrible last year lol

i keep getting an error on the site when i try to create my login. is the max char count on all the essays still only 1000 like last year?

i want to gouge my eyes out. ir is ridiculously hard to make a good essay in only 1000 characters. rush is such a hard app. my responses were terrible last year lol

The char count is still 1000.

Does anyone else feel like they're just repeating what's on their AMCAS when describing the volunteer experiences? They could just look at the primary application...pfff.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know for question 6, which reads: " Does your academic record show a time gap or reflect a non-traditional calendar?"

does this include time off after graduation, or just time off during college?

anyone know for question 6, which reads: " Does your academic record show a time gap or reflect a non-traditional calendar?"

does this include time off after graduation, or just time off during college?

Nah it just means if you took like one or more years off between your senior year and med school

what about a semester? It's not set in stone yet, but I may take that semester off...
I'm taking a semester off and I haven't filled out any of those questions

I have a semester gap in my educational timeline and I decided to briefly mention it. Couldn't hurt to let them know why it's there.

Ya, if you take a semester off in the middle of your education I would say it but I'm just graduating early so I don't see a point. The only place I mentioned it was in the tell us what you're doing from now until next semester question.

Are you guys giving the instructions to your LOR writers and having them do new/updated letters just for this school? Do I really have to get new letters from them just for this school? Also, they keep saying only AMCAS letters will be accepted, but then they also have an address that keeps popping up and instructions to give your LOR writers.

So for this question:
Describe one crisis/problem you worked through yourself, or helped someone else work through in the last 3 years. (1000 characters max)

So if you havn't actually had any crisis'/problems or helped someone else through one in the last 3 years.... do we just leave this blank? Is there anyone else who didn't really have any crisis' happen within the last 3 years? What did you guys talk about for this one...? Does it just automatically make me sound like a douchebag for not helping people through their "crisis"?? I hate this secondary sooooooo much....

Ya, if you take a semester off in the middle of your education I would say it but I'm just graduating early so I don't see a point. The only place I mentioned it was in the tell us what you're doing from now until next semester question.

I'm graduating a semester early too, but I mentioned it. I just said I plan on getting a job for the 6 months I'll have off

So for this question:
Describe one crisis/problem you worked through yourself, or helped someone else work through in the last 3 years. (1000 characters max)

So if you havn't actually had any crisis'/problems or helped someone else through one in the last 3 years.... do we just leave this blank? Is there anyone else who didn't really have any crisis' happen within the last 3 years? What did you guys talk about for this one...? Does it just automatically make me sound like a douchebag for not helping people through their "crisis"?? I hate this secondary sooooooo much....

what did you put on other secondaries with challenge/dilemma questions? its basically the same question. I don't think its an option question

So for this question:

lol seriously. for half of these secondaries i just want to write "Look, i'm an upper-middle class white person who hasn't encountered too much hardship and honestly my life has been pretty damn nice. i just want to be a doctor dammit, what's wrong with that?!?!"

lol seriously. for half of these secondaries i just want to write "Look, i'm an upper-middle class white person who hasn't encountered too much hardship and honestly my life has been pretty damn nice. i just want to be a doctor dammit, what's wrong with that?!?!"
my bf's dad who is a plastic surgeon and went to med school 30 years ago thought it was ridiculous that we have to write all these essays especially about diversity and such. He started going on about how you don't want diverse people, you want pre-meds who are essentially ALL THE SAME and all want to help people. It was pretty funny, but I'm a little peeved that there was a time when 1 essay was unheard of let alone 6. Oh the good ol' days

my bf's dad who is a plastic surgeon and went to med school 30 years ago thought it was ridiculous that we have to write all these essays especially about diversity and such. He started going on about how you don't want diverse people, you want pre-meds who are essentially ALL THE SAME and all want to help people. It was pretty funny, but I'm a little peeved that there was a time when 1 essay was unheard of let alone 6. Oh the good ol' days

haha that would be so nice. i was talking to my grandma yesterday to find out when my grandpa graduated from med school (to put him on the Tulane application) and i said something like "man i bet the interviews must have been easier back in the day!" and she was like "... i don't think he even interviewed" :mad: and here we are going through an entire YEAR of application crap

Is anyone else having formatting issues with the essays? I want to have different paragraphs, but unless I use a ton of characters I can't go down lines by just hitting enter. So now it looks like I just have a huge run on essay with not very good organization? Did anyone else have this problem or find a way to fix it? Thanks!

Are you guys giving the instructions to your LOR writers and having them do new/updated letters just for this school? Do I really have to get new letters from them just for this school? Also, they keep saying only AMCAS letters will be accepted, but then they also have an address that keeps popping up and instructions to give your LOR writers.

Anyone?

Could someone please post the LOR requirements? Thanks.

i vote we all get a semester's worth of english credit just for filling out all of these secondaries. anyone?

Could someone please post the LOR requirements? Thanks.

This is from the Supplemental Application website:

Applicants to Rush Medical College are required to have ALL Letters of
Evaluation/Recommendation sent through AMCAS because Rush Medical College is a
participating school in the AMCAS Letters Service.

Rush Medical College requires one of the following:
- ONE Committee Letter OR
- ONE Letter Packet OR
- TWO letters written by individual recommenders, at least one of whom has had substantial
contact with the applicant in the 24 months preceding the application

Applicants will indicate on the Rush Medical College Supplemental Application which of the
above three options they have chosen; those Letters will be retrieved from AMCAS Letters
Service by Rush Medical College only after all other application materials have been received
(Supplemental Application, Signature Form, Application Fee, Proof of US
Citizenship/Permanent Residency).

This is from the Supplemental Application website:

Applicants to Rush Medical College are required to have ALL Letters of
Evaluation/Recommendation sent through AMCAS because Rush Medical College is a
participating school in the AMCAS Letters Service.

Rush Medical College requires one of the following:
- ONE Committee Letter OR
- ONE Letter Packet OR
- TWO letters written by individual recommenders, at least one of whom has had substantial
contact with the applicant in the 24 months preceding the application

Applicants will indicate on the Rush Medical College Supplemental Application which of the
above three options they have chosen; those Letters will be retrieved from AMCAS Letters
Service by Rush Medical College only after all other application materials have been received
(Supplemental Application, Signature Form, Application Fee, Proof of US
Citizenship/Permanent Residency).

Do you know what they do if we've already indicated 3 LOR's on our AMCAS application (not realizing that they only want 2, which is bizarre btw)?

Will they just ignore one? Do you think I could e-mail them to tell them which one I want them to not use? :oops:

Do you know what they do if we've already indicated 3 LOR's on our AMCAS application (not realizing that they only want 2, which is bizarre btw)?

Will they just ignore one? Do you think I could e-mail them to tell them which one I want them to not use? :oops:

They'll figure out for themselves which ones they want. They'll probably read all 3. People with packets, like me, will be sending them 3 or more probably. Don't be concerned

Yes! Thank you! I seriously want to ask them if there is something inherently wrong with being an average white middle-class American who hasn't gone through anything traumatic so far in their relatively short life. :confused:

Why don't you want to graduate physicians who are knowledgeable, compassionate, and all that, but who don't have particularly crazy or interesting backgrounds? :rolleyes:

Yes! Thank you! I seriously want to ask them if there is something inherently wrong with being an average white middle-class American who hasn't gone through anything traumatic so far in their relatively short life. :confused:

Why don't you want to graduate physicians who are knowledgeable, compassionate, and all that, but who don't have particularly crazy or interesting backgrounds? :rolleyes:
Because as a doctor you won't likely just be dealing with average white middle-class Americans. I used to think like you too, but when I stepped outside my comfort zone a little, I saw a lot more of life. Maybe that's what they are looking for? Your being able to step outside of your comfort zone a little?

Because as a doctor you won't likely just be dealing with average white middle-class Americans. I used to think like you too, but when I stepped outside my comfort zone a little, I saw a lot more of life. Maybe that's what they are looking for? Your being able to step outside of your comfort zone a little?

I've stepped out of my comfort zone before... worked with HIV+ patients in NYC, worked as a CNA and was literally **** on. :thumbup:

I'm just saying that these experiences don't make me diverse, although I would never say that on an essay or in an interview. But truly, I'm not going to add to their school's diversity, but that doesn't mean I don't have my own unique experiences to offer.

So i have a really stupid question. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make my login/password. How do you do it?

PS i like that half of these questions are basically identical to loyola, that's convenient.

I've stepped out of my comfort zone before... worked with HIV+ patients in NYC, worked as a CNA and was literally **** on. :thumbup:

I'm just saying that these experiences don't make me diverse, although I would never say that on an essay or in an interview. But truly, I'm not going to add to their school's diversity, but that doesn't mean I don't have my own unique experiences to offer.

having your own unique experiences IS adding to diversity

diversity is not limited to being of color, being poor, or having struggled significantly

your own unique experiences, and being middle-class white will help other students understand many of their future patients

Hello.. I'm planning on applying to UIC and Rush University for an MHA in 2010. Could someone tell me which is better among the two? No specificities, please feel free to give me your opinion in whatever you know. Thank you :confused:

I honestly just want to write for Q#4: I'm pretty sure I wrote a 5300 character essay on the subject, do you even READ my application materials?
and for Q#5: Spelling teacher for application writers. (persuit =/= pursuit).

God this process is really bringing out the worst in me.

seriously though: they can't really expect us to come up with something new for Q#4 right? i mean it's exactly what I wrote about for my PS I have nothing else to write!!

Finally, i am coming close to finishing this long application!:sleep:

seriously though: they can't really expect us to come up with something new for Q#4 right? i mean it's exactly what I wrote about for my PS I have nothing else to write!!
I came up with someone new, just a sorta experience i didnt touch on...i actually expanded upon something i wrote on in my PS...I mean you can use soemthing similar id say, but dont just copy and paste that shows lazyness and a lack of effort or care for the school.

Did anyone get another e-mail from Rush stating there mission, talking about their hospital, and the rush transformation project?

I helped twart the rape of my roommate and then helped her feel safe that night. Is this too racy to write about on a med school app?

I helped twart the rape of my roommate and then helped her feel safe that night. Is this too racy to write about on a med school app?
as long as you dont feel uncomfortable explaining it, id say it might work...personally if it was me I wouldnt feel comfortable talking about such serious things, but thats just me.

Can somone provide me insight on how to approch these two questions with my unique situation please?

Indicate your planned activities between July 2009 and September 2010.

Does your academic record show a time gap or reflect a non-traditional calendar?:

I spent almost a year recovering from my health condition, spending nearly 2 months in the hospital. Now that i have recovered, i am applying and it will be two years off from my time of my graduation to going to med school. Is this considered non-traditional? If so, would my answer for these two question be the same? since I have been conducting the same acitivites. if it is the same then how should i approch them w/o sounding lazy to the adcom as i may have to leave out one of them blank. I'd appriciate for the comments :), Thankyou!

if anyone has the questions copied and pasted anywhere and wants to post them in this thread or PM them to me I can update the first post on this page. I have the secondary done already but I didn't copy the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.