2009-2010 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh. That's really weird that it stays pending for so long... I haven't had that issue with any other school.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think is the biggest problem in society and healthcare and how would you handle it as a physician.

Tell me about your social consciousness.

Would you give a double dose of morphine to a terminal patient who really wanted to die, and whose family wanted him to die too.

what's your motivation to be a doctor, i.e. what tripped the switch.

Could anyone who has already interviewed post any difficult or interesting questions they were asked?

Wow those seem like some heavy duty questions. I am new to SDN I have interviewed at TCOM, and both Techs and didn't get any questions like that. I am really pumped for A&M I have an interview in CS on the 17th. Would you say the interviews are pretty relaxed or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny you say that because I have heard that TCOM's questions get intense and I interview there on 9/8. The A&M interviews @ Temple were pretty relaxed. However, my first interviewer sat on the admission committee and had a huge check off list she was going over right in front of me, that was kind of weird. The admissions staff is totally chill, very helpful. My second interview gave off a very relaxed vibe, but we did go pretty deep into my motivations to be a doctor (specific situations), who I am as a person and what I want out of life. He also asked me the ethical situation. He had taken notes about me on a piece of paper and then asked questions from that. The first one also asked why I am special.

It's hard not to run your mouth when you have open-ended questions! Ahhhhh. Yeah, that first one was a bit stressful. Her check off sheet had a number of categories like SOCIAL CONSCIOUSNESS, TOLERENCE/MATURITY, MOTIVATION... She asked me directly, How are you mature? tell me about your social consciousness. Be sure to have some problems with society in your head just so you dont have to waste time thinking. Try to relate them to problems in health care, just in case...

It was a good experience, very engaging convos and GREAT school. At Temple we had interviews in the afternoon. I looked my interviewers up on my iphone beforehand. The first looked impressed I knew some stuff about her, maybe in a creepy way haha I dont know. :rolleyes:

Wow those seem like some heavy duty questions. I am new to SDN I have interviewed at TCOM, and both Techs and didn't get any questions like that. I am really pumped for A&M I have an interview in CS on the 17th. Would you say the interviews are pretty relaxed or not?

Wow, thank you! As for TCOM I interviewed with a PhD (nursing) and an MD (psychiatrist). The MD had a checklist but only really asked about three questions from it. Why doctor, why TCOM, explain experiences with different cultures. The PhD asked me why D.O., and what is the biggest problem in healthcare, then we just talked about my application. It felt like they wanted you to be there and everyone was always smiling.

Nothing like social consciousness, and why are you special. If handled those questions you are going to be golden at TCOM.

Thanks for the advice

Huh. That's really weird that it stays pending for so long... I haven't had that issue with any other school.
Give them a call! I was in a similar situation, and finally I found out that it was something related to my LOR. I wrote that I would send them 2 separate letters in TDMSAS but later I incorporate them into a single packet. A&M still thought that I'd gonna send them 2 letters so my status was pending forever. They fixed that for me after the call.

I recommend you to give them a calll to check if they receive everything from you.

I have a clinical letter from a D.O. I shadowed for a year. I did not include it in my committee packet but TMDSAS gives you the option to add an additional letter. Would it be worth it to send the letter in now. Would it be considered at A&M after interviewing?

I have a clinical letter from a D.O. I shadowed for a year. I did not include it in my committee packet but TMDSAS gives you the option to add an additional letter. Would it be worth it to send the letter in now. Would it be considered at A&M after interviewing?

Have you interviewed already?? They told us they were deliberating on our interview group immediately after we left...so if that's the case, too late, perhaps? Otherwise, I can't imagine it hurts either way.

I was also told they deliberate very soon after the interviews. The admissions staff is really nice, call and ask if you can send them an additional letter. Don't ask why you haven't received an interview, at least not with a haughty attitude... the associate dean says she hates that.

Thank you, by the way, for your info about TCOM.

If anyone going to Temple interview on 9/10 need a lodging place, PM me and let me know. I booked a room and maybe we could share the cost.

Long time lurker, first time poster.... got my 1st interview offer today from aggie (9/24 in Temple). Anyone else interviewing on the 24th? Anyone down for splitting the cost of lodging?

America's best Inn off exit 299 is cheap. Looks like a trucker hotel, but i was pleasantly satisfied. I'd stay there again.

Members don't see this ad :)
So... I emailed Watkins-Borth about my application on Friday. When I emailed her once before she got back to me quickly, but it's Wednesday and I still haven't gotten a reply, and my application has now been pending/verifying with them for 2 weeks. Would calling be seen as obnoxious?

I'm trying to balance my impatience with my real suspicion that something is amiss with my application. I'm very interested in A&M, so I'd hate to be set back because of some kind of error. :/

Mine was pending for 3 wks at least before it was under review and then got interview. chill for now.

So... I emailed Watkins-Borth about my application on Friday. When I emailed her once before she got back to me quickly, but it's Wednesday and I still haven't gotten a reply, and my application has now been pending/verifying with them for 2 weeks. Would calling be seen as obnoxious?

I'm trying to balance my impatience with my real suspicion that something is amiss with my application. I'm very interested in A&M, so I'd hate to be set back because of some kind of error. :/

Interview invite! Submitted August 24th. Never got a complete email. Did not notice the status page either :-/

For reference:
1. Essay on culture/human condition: 150 words
2. Honor code: 200 words
3. Hardship: 200 words

Mine was pending for 3 wks at least before it was under review and then got interview. chill for now.

Probably best I didn't. TMDSAS just *forgot* to send my MCAT score. TMDSAS is so fantastic. I should be on my way to review finally! YAY!

Interview invite! Submitted August 24th. Never got a complete email. Did not notice the status page either :-/

For reference:
1. Essay on culture/human condition: 150 words
2. Honor code: 200 words
3. Hardship: 200 words

Oh forgot to add - interview at College Station, not Temple.

The page with the viewpacket for interviews isn't loading for me...I tried it on 2 different internet connections :-( I know it's password protected, but even that window doesn't pop up for me. If someone has that PDF, can he/she PM me to email me a copy? Thanks so much! :-D

Oops nevermind - IP address issue fixed :-D

Does anyone have the link to A&M 2009 interview schedule? Thanks!

Does anyone have the link to A&M 2009 interview schedule? Thanks!

I can't find exactly what you are looking for. But the interview day is Thursday. College station interview starts at 9:00am and is scheduled to 5:00pm. At that time you have the option to go on a tour of the sim center. Interviews are also held at Temple on Thursdays, I could only assume the schedule is similar.

Thank you for the schedule info! Do you know anything about the secondary application? Mine still says pending and I have done everything (sec app, sec fee, primary app). I tried emailing A&M, but no answer. The deadline is getting close!

Thank you for the schedule info! Do you know anything about the secondary application? Mine still says pending and I have done everything (sec app, sec fee, primary app). I tried emailing A&M, but no answer. The deadline is getting close!

It'll stay pending until a decision. My page stayed "Pending" until I got an interview invite. I think in this case, pending means under review. Good luck!

got an invite for temple on 10/8. it sucks that their interviews are on thursdays, that doesnt fit my class schedule very well. jerks.

Two of my LOR writers got back to me about TX A&M emailing a thank you for writing LOR on my behalf. Anyone else get this? Does it mean anything? Still impatiently waiting.

It'll stay pending until a decision. My page stayed "Pending" until I got an interview invite. I think in this case, pending means under review. Good luck!

So mine has said pending for some time. How long did yours say pending before you got an invite?

Mine was pending for about two months before I got an invite.

soo i'm interviewing in college station!! :)

anyone know what the interviewers are like down there? and what kind of questions they are asking?

I also had another question. I know that on the website a&m says they receive 3,056 applications and interview a certain number (800 something?). of those, does anyone know how many they offer admission to? i know they have ~150 in the entering class.

I just got an interview invite and I've been "under review" since August 17th. This is only my second interview (1st was TCOM) so I'm super excited since I was beginning to think all is lost. For those who interviewed, is it possible to pick a different date on the RSVP form because though I'm scheduled for late October it seems I can pick an earlier date; I'm just not sure if I have permission to do that.

soo i'm interviewing in college station!! :)

anyone know what the interviewers are like down there? and what kind of questions they are asking?

I also had another question. I know that on the website a&m says they receive 3,056 applications and interview a certain number (800 something?). of those, does anyone know how many they offer admission to? i know they have ~150 in the entering class.

Fall 2007 Admissions Statistics Total admissions data 2093 applied, 726 interviewed, 284 were accepted, 105 enrolled In-state admissions data 1867 applied, 673 interviewed, 267 were accepted, 95 enrolled Out-state admissions data 226 applied, 53 interviewed, 17 were accepted, 10 enrolled Women admissions data 1017 applied, 328 interviewed, 138 were accepted, 56 enrolled Minor admissions data 886 applied, 307 interviewed, 123 were accepted, 46 enrolled International admissions data 36 applied, 2 interviewed, 0 were accepted, 0 enrolled
This data is from the eduERS website, not the MSAR so take it for what it is worth. Apparently 284 acceptances of 726 interviewed in 2007. At my interview they mentioned they are interviewing more candidates as the class size has gone up slightly. My guess, it looks like a about 40% chance after interview???

As for the interview day, from my experience it was great. Everyone is friendly and will shoot you straight. I interviewed with an MSII and the dean. They did want to talk about my MCAT but other than that it was really just conversation. It has been nearly identical at every other interview I've been to so if you have any under your belt you should be more than prepared.

I got an interview for the Oct 29th in College Station too!

I'm not very familiar with college station, does anyone know of a good place to get something to eat the day before?

I got an interview for the Oct 29th in College Station too!

I'm not very familiar with college station, does anyone know of a good place to get something to eat the day before?

College Station pretty much has tons of places to eat - there is a Chili's across campus, fast food everywhere, some good sandwich places, sushi, a Cheddar's and a Texas Roadhouse right off of Hwy 6. There's a Freebirds behind the Cheddar's, and a Chipotle and McDonalds across from the campus. I didn't go to Texas A&M for undergrad, but I am relatively familiar with the area. CS is not as bad as most people might think... I feel like I've seen worse small towns.

I interviewed back in August. I had a great experience, everyone there is great (esp the associate dean) and the students seem to really like it. Their simulation center is pretty impressive. They will ask you the typical questions, and it will also be very conversational. If anyone has any questions about CS or the interview, feel free to PM me :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Fall 2007 Admissions Statistics Total admissions data 2093 applied, 726 interviewed, 284 were accepted, 105 enrolled In-state admissions data 1867 applied, 673 interviewed, 267 were accepted, 95 enrolled Out-state admissions data 226 applied, 53 interviewed, 17 were accepted, 10 enrolled Women admissions data 1017 applied, 328 interviewed, 138 were accepted, 56 enrolled Minor admissions data 886 applied, 307 interviewed, 123 were accepted, 46 enrolled International admissions data 36 applied, 2 interviewed, 0 were accepted, 0 enrolled
This data is from the eduERS website, not the MSAR so take it for what it is worth. Apparently 284 acceptances of 726 interviewed in 2007. At my interview they mentioned they are interviewing more candidates as the class size has gone up slightly. My guess, it looks like a about 40% chance after interview???

As for the interview day, from my experience it was great. Everyone is friendly and will shoot you straight. I interviewed with an MSII and the dean. They did want to talk about my MCAT but other than that it was really just conversation. It has been nearly identical at every other interview I've been to so if you have any under your belt you should be more than prepared.

thank you!! that was really helpful!

So mine has said pending for some time. How long did yours say pending before you got an invite?

Mine was pending for two months!!! so seriously have faith and relax it will happen. Is anyone attending the October 29th interview.
Good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!

Just got an interview invite today by email. They really schedule them far out it was for 11/19. Looking forward to it.

How long had you been pending before you got the invite?

Oh wow and they're already up to mid-Nov. interview dates? Maybe they don't like my school for beating them at football last season...

Oh wow and they're already up to mid-Nov. interview dates? Maybe they don't like my school for beating them at football last season...

Using that logic, they wouldn't invite people from many institutions...:laugh:

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It was fine, and was close to the school. Just be aware that there is construction on the loop, and driving from point a to point b is not necessarily a straight shot. They had a free continental breakfast/coffee, etc. Parking at the campus was pretty bad...so get there early for sure. I had to park in a no-parking spot behind the medical research building. I mentioned this to the admissions people, and they told me they'd take care of any parking tickets, etc. (my car was fine--no tickets). Once you find parking, locating the starting point for the day is a breeze. Good luck!

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It was fine, and was close to the school. Just be aware that there is construction on the loop, and driving from point a to point b is not necessarily a straight shot. They had a free continental breakfast/coffee, etc. Parking at the campus was pretty bad...so get there early for sure. I had to park in a no-parking spot behind the medical research building. I mentioned this to the admissions people, and they told me they'd take care of any parking tickets, etc. (my car was fine--no tickets). Once you find parking, locating the starting point for the day is a breeze. Good luck!

thanks for the advice! that's really helpful :)

Still no interview yet. A&M gave me a hard time in college application, and now it give me a hard time again in med school application.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.