2009-2010 Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok....i may just be freaking out or neurotic. Get this, every time i checked my Merlin status it use to just say "Alternates," But today when i checked my Merlin status, i did not see alternate instead i saw something like transcripts received/merilin fee paid/mcat received. Does any other person on the Tech waitlist see that? or is it just me?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I am currently wait-listed and I see the same thing when I check my Merlin account too! Best of luck to all on the wait-list...:)

Yeah, I had that change from the beginning of this week. I called to see what was goin' on and they said that, because they are already starting to deal with the new entering class and are close to the new application cycle, that statuses had to come down "sometime" ... but that I was still on the waitlist as long as I got a letter saying so. She asked for my name, and said "yup, you're still just sitting there!".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys....now i feel much better. thought i got kick of the waitlist or something lol.lol

If you all could comment----is this school one of the more friendlier schools towards OOS applicants? If not, do you all know which ones are/aren't I ask this, especially I am interested in primary care (should i make mention of this in my personal statement to help me out?) Thanks!

If you all could comment----is this school one of the more friendlier schools towards OOS applicants? If not, do you all know which ones are/aren't I ask this, especially I am interested in primary care (should i make mention of this in my personal statement to help me out?) Thanks!

All TMDSAS schools follow a 90/10 rule- at least 90% of students must be in state, and only 10% is saved for OOS. So I don't think that any one school is "friendlier" to OOSer's than the others. I saw these stats somewhere but I can't remember where- all the Texas schools were like 9%-11% out of state. Baylor is more like 70/30 I think.

* If anyone's wondering why I'm in this thread, I check it out when there's been new posts because I like to see if people have started accepting off waitlists. I like the people from this cycle's RoT thread and am rooting for all of them to be accepted!

All TMDSAS schools follow a 90/10 rule- at least 90% of students must be in state, and only 10% is saved for OOS. So I don't think that any one school is "friendlier" to OOSer's than the others. I saw these stats somewhere but I can't remember where- all the Texas schools were like 9%-11% out of state. Baylor is more like 70/30 I think.

This is correct as far as regulations go, but I think a lot of the state schools actually accept almost 95% in-state. We have very few OOSers in our class.

ok i heard some news about the waitlist. apparently a couple of people have gotten off the waitlist and there is about 60-70 people on the list. however after may 15 chances are slim of getting off but there is still some hope until the first day of class.

good luck to everyone on the list.

ok i heard some news about the waitlist. apparently a couple of people have gotten off the waitlist and there is about 60-70 people on the list. however after may 15 chances are slim of getting off but there is still some hope until the first day of class.

not what i wanted to hear but my fingers are still crossed

Do you know by any chance about when they got called off the waitlist?

I'm sure it varies from year-to-year, but we had a lot of waitlist movement our year. I've heard many people in our class say that got in off the waitlist.

Awesome. My bestfriend and my cousin just got accepted off of the waitlist to TTU HSC SOM. The the muketeers (three idoits is more like it) together for four more years!!! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Good for them. Would you happen to know when they interviewed or any other information on the waitlist in general?

that's great! i called like 2 days ago and they said there has been no movement and the class was still full. i don't think they are giving out straight answers.

My cousin interviewed in early October.

My best friend interviewed very late. I know it was not the last week, but a week of two before then.

So I just called to try and get some information, and the administrative assistant said that they havn't even had to use the waitlist yet. That's interesting, considering some people have been pulled off of it. Oh well. I'll still stay positive.

So I just called to try and get some information, and the administrative assistant said that they havn't even had to use the waitlist yet. That's interesting, considering some people have been pulled off of it. Oh well. I'll still stay positive.

me too! i get the same answer and yet ppl are moving off the list. :xf:

last rumblings up here i've heard is that there are still more people who confirmed acceptance than spots available (which is standard practice). So I don't know what to make about the earlier post.

There will be waitlist movement, but it might take a little longer this year.

Yeah. I also heard from the Associate Dean of Admissions that there were more acceptances than seats, and that would need to change before the waitlisted moved ... I just thought it was beyond that point because of the posts about people being called. Oh well. As long as it moves one day lol.

I checked with my cousin and friend to see what was going on. It turns out my friend just got an acceptance from El Paso (he just said Tech to me so I assumed Lubbock) my bad sorry for the confusion guys. On match day, my cousin said TMDSAS said he did not match anywhere. Then about a week later he got an acceptance to Lubbock (I'm sure about the city on this one).

Sorry for any confusion!!!!!

Hey guys, I just got my rejection letter from Texas Tech in Lubbock. Kinda sucks but oh well, Im not too down about it. Good luck everyone!

post-interview rejection? or post-secondary?

I checked with my cousin and friend to see what was going on. It turns out my friend just got an acceptance from El Paso (he just said Tech to me so I assumed Lubbock) my bad sorry for the confusion guys. On match day, my cousin said TMDSAS said he did not match anywhere. Then about a week later he got an acceptance to Lubbock (I'm sure about the city on this one).

Sorry for any confusion!!!!!

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation. I guess she wasn't lying lol. I apologize.

post interview rejection

sorry to hear that =(

now for some good news... so i called the admissions office this morning to find out if they had received the letter of rec that was sent two weeks ago... they said they hadnt and that i should probably re-send the letter. i also ask about the waitlist movement and was told the same thing about how they havent had any waitlist movement at all since may 15th, so i was definitely sad with that news.

then i get call an hour later, from unknown number, and when i pick up the phone i immediately recognize Linda Prado's voice... for a second i thought she was calling about my letter of rec, but i soon realized she was calling to offer me admission. :D

MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AAHHHHHHHHHHH:soexcited::soexcited: been waiting 4 yrs for this day... time to go enjoy whatever summer i have left in beautiful southern california!

and fyi, im OOS, interviewed back in october!

MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AAHHHHHHHHHHH:soexcited::soexcited: been waiting 4 yrs for this day... time to go enjoy whatever summer i have left in beautiful southern california!

wow! congrats. that's quite a story. OOS 'eh. well i'm IS and interviewed in october! i'll still :xf: lol.

sorry to hear that =(

now for some good news... so i called the admissions office this morning to find out if they had received the letter of rec that was sent two weeks ago... they said they hadnt and that i should probably re-send the letter. i also ask about the waitlist movement and was told the same thing about how they havent had any waitlist movement at all since may 15th, so i was definitely sad with that news.

then i get call an hour later, from unknown number, and when i pick up the phone i immediately recognize Linda Prado's voice... for a second i thought she was calling about my letter of rec, but i soon realized she was calling to offer me admission. :D

Congrats- I am an OOS student and I love it here so I hope you will too!

thanks justdoit!
so whats the deal with housing, where do most students live? is there frat housing like they have at utmb, where they have their own private chef?

hey everyone! i got an acceptance call today from linda prado at an unknown number. soooo...another waitlist movement, for those who want to know :)

i am OOS, interviewed in late september.

congrats yasminc! will u be attending ttech or san antonio or ucsd? im surprised you're considered OOS since ur mdapps says ur home state is texas.

congrats yasminc! will u be attending ttech or san antonio or ucsd? im surprised you're considered OOS since ur mdapps says ur home state is texas.

thank you so much!! yeah i grew up in san antonio, but lost my texas residency after moving to california for college and staying for 8 years :)

i'll be attending UCSD in the fall. very tough choice as the prospect of returning home was tempting...but i just adore UCSD and san diego, so it looks as though i'm staying in cali for another four years!

congrats to those accepted and good look to those still waiting! :)

thanks justdoit!
so whats the deal with housing, where do most students live? is there frat housing like they have at utmb, where they have their own private chef?

There is no frat housing here (not even for undergrad due to some city laws about non-related people living together).

Basically everyone justs gets an apartment or house. There are numerous options (see the TTUHSC Class of 2014 Facebook group). I did a 2 bedroom townhouse in Las Colinas complex which rents for $565/month with my med student discount. There are several other apartments that are popular as well for a wide variety of cost. Ashton Point, The Edge, Springfield, The Grove (must have roommate), and Quail Creek are some of the more popular complexes.

Check out www.lubbockapartments.com for some ideas- if the apartments are close to TTUHSC then they are usually ok but in general SW Lubbock is the nicest area followed by SE- but going to far East gets you in the hood and going to N. Lubbock varies.

OMG I just got the call and I'm in! OOS, interviewed last October. Decision time...

Have the 3rd and 4th year campus assignments gone out? If we are accepted off of the wait list, do we pretty much get whatever is leftover? I forgot to ask Linda Prado when I talked to her!

Have the 3rd and 4th year campus assignments gone out? If we are accepted off of the wait list, do we pretty much get whatever is leftover? I forgot to ask Linda Prado when I talked to her!

at this point you might have a shot at picking a location (those excepted later tend to get sent to midland/odessa) but I would suggest calling the admissions office and asking them about it on Tuesday. Most likely Lubbock is close to filled but then again from reading the forum I have seen several people get Amarillo and I don't know if that was their first choice or not which might mean even Amarillo is filled. I am going to Amarillo and can't wait! Lubbock is nice but I enjoy Amarillo as a town better (I might be biased though because I lived there til I was 15 so it is home but still a very family friendly town)

So is it possible that tech has had no IS movement off the waitlist this year?

I pray that's not the case...Good luck to all those still waiting!! :)

Though I'm going to Texas A&M for 2014, I check this thread frequently for a friend of mine that was waitlisted at Tech. He doesn't like to check it, because it just stresses him out.

He just called me a few hours ago and let me know that he got in. He is in state, and I believe I remember him interviewing sometime around October.

So, just to let y'all know, the in state movement has begun. Good luck to those that are still waiting.

I received a call from Linda Prado with an acceptance offer this evening and will accept it. Better way late than never!

I received a call from Linda Prado with an acceptance offer this evening and will accept it. Better way late than never!

Lucky! See, maybe sending that letter helped out some!

I'm still waiting on that phone call. I sent a letter of continued interest/intent, and had an extra letter of rec sent to Dean Peck. I'm still hopeful! :xf:

Hey guys. My friend just received a call earlier today from Linda Prado with an acceptance offer. So the waitlist is showing movement!

Status
Not open for further replies.