2009-2010 Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
any word on when the waitlist will be developed?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told last week that the waitlist would be finished by this Friday and we would be notified by email or letter :xf:

Will be going to the re-applicant seminar this friday. i have already started making plans on my study schedule and hopefully re-take the MCAT july 8th. Am still trusting God that he will work his miracles where they seem to be no way but in the same time be pro-active. anyone going for the re-applicant seminar and wishes to have an MCAT study buddy PM me pls.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told last week that the waitlist would be finished by this Friday and we would be notified by email or letter :xf:

Why is your status 'medical student'? Just curious - since you're obviously not a med student yet if you're hoping to be on the tech waitlist.

Congrats to all who matched on Feb 1st! So does that mean its only waitlists that are going to be sent by the end of the month? Is there a chance of getting accepted by the end of the month?

if u are lucky to be on the waitlist, there is a chance of acceptance even up untill orientation. waitlist at tech is not ranked

Well, I spoke with Mr. Louis Perez last wk and he told me that he expects the wait-list to be created next wk. So, it appears that the wait continues.....

yeah it is a killer waiting for the list to come out. Dr. peck said that it was coming out last friday and for sure on monday. but i guess we'll see!

yeah it is a killer waiting for the list to come out. Dr. peck said that it was coming out last friday and for sure on monday. but i guess we'll see!
I see u were accepted to A&M, Tech must be ure first choice since u too are waiting on the waitlist. Congratulations on ure acceptance...atleast u will be somewhere in August.

Hey guys. Did anyone attend the re-applicant seminar they had last week? I wasn't able to attend....did they have anything helpful to say for re-applicants??

The seminar was great....the people were very nice and welcoming. it was more a time to get to know the people at the admissions office. it was also informative, the take home message was to definitely apply early, volunteer work, Personal statement was definitely a big deal. Also, we had a treat as Dr. Darley took us to the anatomy lab and showed us all the parts inside a cadaver. it was really cool and fun to watch him talk so passionately abt all the body parts. I will be honored to have him as my anatomy professor.

Anyways!....i am officially ON THE WAITLIST at tech. i checked my merlin page and the status has been changed to " Alternate"

I love this school so much that i will be more than grateful if i get off the waitlist. I leave everything in God's mighty hands.:)

Does anyone know if Tech does any kind of Admitted Student day or orientation for incoming students before summer?

Mimi - Did you apply at OSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Tech does any kind of Admitted Student day or orientation for incoming students before summer?

Mimi - Did you apply at OSU?
Yes! i did apply to OSU aswell but Tech is my first choice and OSU my second choice. Regarding ure qs, Tech has what they call spring training in april. i am not sure the exact dates. they also have orientation in july followed by the white coat ceremony before classes starts in August.

Anyways!....i am officially ON THE WAITLIST at tech. i checked my merlin page and the status has been changed to " Alternate"

Mine says this also. Are you sure that it doesn't say this for everyone who didn't match here?

Mine says this also. Are you sure that it doesn't say this for everyone who didn't match here?

Mine changed from no status to "interviewed, acceptable" yesterday. Not sure if that is good or bad. . . probably bad.

i actually did go there and they told me i am on the waiting list. maybe u can call them so u have peace of mind

Mine changed from no status to "interviewed, acceptable" yesterday. Not sure if that is good or bad. . . probably bad.
that sounds to be like an acceptance. lol. just call them to make sure, u could be surprise. Good luck

cc1183, mine says that too. does anyone know what this is? is it possible to rank tech first, not match, and still not be an "alternate"? or maybe it's too early to know?

The seminar was great....the people were very nice and welcoming. it was more a time to get to know the people at the admissions office. it was also informative, the take home message was to definitely apply early, volunteer work, Personal statement was definitely a big deal. Also, we had a treat as Dr. Darley took us to the anatomy lab and showed us all the parts inside a cadaver. it was really cool and fun to watch him talk so passionately abt all the body parts. I will be honored to have him as my anatomy professor.

I love this school so much that i will be more than grateful if i get off the waitlist. I leave everything in God's mighty hands.:)

same boat here. hopefully the list starts to move. :xf:

i got the official OOS waitlist (aka "non-resident alternate list") letter in the mail today (snail mail), and it says pretty much what is already understood... the class is already full, only 10% can be OOS, the OOS waitlist is considered separately from the resident waitlist, and that i shouldnt expect to hear anything until the end of may, at which time it would be okay for me to contact the school to find out the status of my app.

good luck to all those still waiting.:luck:

cc1183, mine says that too. does anyone know what this is? is it possible to rank tech first, not match, and still not be an "alternate"? or maybe it's too early to know?
did u call to check exactly what that status measn? are u from out of state?

Received a letter in the mail saying I was waitlisted. Does anyone know if we can send updated materials i.e. additional recommendation letter or updated personal statement?

Received a letter in the mail saying I was waitlisted. Does anyone know if we can send updated materials i.e. additional recommendation letter or updated personal statement?

Since I am on the waitlist as well, I'm going to say NO! DO NOT SEND ANYTHING, YOU WILL ANNOY THEM AND THEY WILL TAKE YOU OFF OF THE WAITING LIST!

Kidding, they mentioned that sending extra letters of evaluation are good pre-interview, so I do not see why this would hurt post-interview and when you're on a waitlist.

Just do it. I doubt it can hurt.

Since I am on the waitlist as well, I'm going to say NO! DO NOT SEND ANYTHING, YOU WILL ANNOY THEM AND THEY WILL TAKE YOU OFF OF THE WAITING LIST!

Kidding, they mentioned that sending extra letters of evaluation are good pre-interview, so I do not see why this would hurt post-interview and when you're on a waitlist.

Just do it. I doubt it can hurt.

Haha, thanks for the advice and good luck to you on the alternate list.

Mee too John. i will be more than happy if we can both be classmates.....then maybe we can be motivational speakers for the next re-application seminar lol. i wonder how many people are on the wait list. has any one gotten a post interview rejection? or do they just put everyone that interview'd on the wait list? oh well, iwill stay steadfast in my prayers, am trusting God that only his miracles thru my life will make someone out here come to him. am praying for u John. see u in class in august. God bless.:)

yeah, I'm also on the waitlist. I really wish I knew A: how many people are on it and B: where I stand on it.

Anyone know why they don't just let you know? I'm assuming it is because they don't have the waitlist candidates in a rigid order as of right now, but it would be nice to know if I'm close or not.

i called to check the meaning of my status ("interviewed - acceptable"). apparently i did not make the waitlist. this is good news for those on it - the waitlist is selective.

so i need some advice: should i try to get on this waitlist or respectfully accept a rejection? i only wonder since my status states that i am "acceptable" as opposed to "rejected"

good luck to those waiting!

i called to check the meaning of my status ("interviewed - acceptable"). apparently i did not make the waitlist. this is good news for those on it - the waitlist is selective.

so i need some advice: should i try to get on this waitlist or respectfully accept a rejection? i only wonder since my status states that i am "acceptable" as opposed to "rejected"

some schools allow you to appeal a rejection, but ive heard its almost impossible to change your fate. i find it odd that your status would correspond with being rejected because shortly after my interview back in november, i wanted to know if i had a chance of getting in so i could possible study for lsats and apply for the md/jd program there, and when i talked to Linda in charge of admissions, she merely said the committee determined that i was 'acceptable'... thats the only thing she was allowed to tell me. i knew i woudnt get accepted though because i am OOS and all the OOS had already been given out before i had a chance to interview.

sorry to hear that.......

yeah, I'm also on the waitlist. I really wish I knew A: how many people are on it and B: where I stand on it.

Anyone know why they don't just let you know? I'm assuming it is because they don't have the waitlist candidates in a rigid order as of right now, but it would be nice to know if I'm close or not.

i called and asked if they could tell me how many are on the list but the lady said she didn't have it at that moment so there is a chance that if you catch her at the right time she could tell you. however all waitlisted people are not ranked.

Is anyone planning on attending the Spring Training in April for incoming medical students? I think it is a good idea and would like to attend, but i don't want to fly to lubbock only to meet less than half of my class when I could just wait until orientation to take everything in.

Is anyone planning on attending the Spring Training in April for incoming medical students? I think it is a good idea and would like to attend, but i don't want to fly to lubbock only to meet less than half of my class when I could just wait until orientation to take everything in.

I'm going

I'll go if I get off of the waitlist before then! lol.

I'll be there.

did anyone ever found out how many people are actually on the waitlist? i heard 10% of the class size with is 14-15. quite a small number which is good for me:). i saw class of 2012 had 9deferrals. that is alot....i hope there are 10 differals and 5 drop out so all my waitlist bro/sis can get in. i love tech so bad that i do not even know what to do with my self :luck::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Last edited:
dont quote me on this, but i recall the woman in admissions saying they had 50-60 people on the waitlist. im not sure if that was both OOS and IS combined, but i was calling about my chances as OOS and i find it hard to believe that there would be 50-60 people on the OOS alternate list. i wish i had asked her to be more specific. =/

dont quote me on this, but i recall the woman in admissions saying they had 50-60 people on the waitlist. im not sure if that was both OOS and IS combined, but i was calling about my chances as OOS and i find it hard to believe that there would be 50-60 people on the OOS alternate list. i wish i had asked her to be more specific. =/

totally not what i wanted to hear...but my eyes are fixed on God. Surely his goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:)

90 of the 140 accepted students have responded to the spring training announcement so far.

70 or so plan to be at the spring training weekend.

just fyi.

Last edited:
did anyone else on the alternate list receive a financial aid email this morning?

i received an email from financial aid this morning titled "Financial Aid Awards Pending Missing Information" which said i needed to log into my merlin account to see which documents need to be submitted, but i didnt see any documents listed?

did anyone else on the alternate list receive a financial aid email this morning?

i received an email from financial aid this morning titled "Financial Aid Awards Pending Missing Information" which said i needed to log into my merlin account to see which documents need to be submitted, but i didnt see any documents listed?

Yes, I received that email as well. I'm thinking that since we aren't accepted ... (yet:xf:) ... that we will not see anything. I'll definitely keep checking though.

I called about this, and the person in the financial aid office said that they received my FAFSA information, and the part missing is my acceptance. Thanks...

I called about this, and the person in the financial aid office said that they received my FAFSA information, and the part missing is my acceptance. Thanks...

glad to hear that i wasn't the only confused person about the financial aid email

i have not yet completed the fafsa so i did not get the email. my heart almost sank to my chest when i started reading all these messages.....Lord pls help me get in !

i have not yet completed the fafsa so i did not get the email. my heart almost sank to my chest when i started reading all these messages.....Lord pls help me get in !

Hey...calm down..lol...I think the last date to fill out ur FAFSA is June 30th

Take a deep breath...

So ... did anyone else have a heart attack when they went to check their Merlin status and see a big blue box, only to find out it was a financial aid big blue box?! lol.

I really need to calm down.

So I have a bit of an update.

I was able to speak to Dean Peck today (she visited my undergrad institution for an info session) one on one about the waiting list. She mentioned that as of today there wasn't any movement on the waitlist, but "that will change in the next couple of weeks". She said they normally accept about 6-12 people off of the waitlists every year, and that they will probably start giving out seats to those on the waitlist starting the first week of May.

That seems pretty consistent with what happened last year. I'm still :xf: and good luck to others waiting too.

Thanks for that update. my fingers are crossed aswell!

Status
Not open for further replies.