2009-2010 Texas Tech Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, this is my own logic about the stats even though it might be incorrect. Tech interviews abt 700 applicants for a total of 140spots. which makes an exact 20% chance of an acceptance in you get an interview. The other good news is out of the 700 students that were interviewd by Tech 450-550 of them were interviewd by another texas medical school or out of state schools. a majority of them even after pre-match or match offers will choose not to come to Tech for whatever reason with the first being the location. Because of all the blah blah blah, maybe about 350 interviewers go into a neck to neck competition for the 140 spots making the estimated interview to acceptance rate about 40%.
just my 2cents.:)

I think you are assuming that tech only hands out 140 offers, when in reality they hand out way more offers than seats available (some schools make twice as many offers at there are seats available).

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are assuming that tech only hands out 140 offers, when in reality they hand out way more offers than seats available (some schools make twice as many offers at there are seats available).

NOPE. i am not talking about offers. i am talking about matriculant seats, which at the end only 140 will matriculate. so let me re-state my self. " there will be approximately 40% of people that got interviewed that will end up matriculating"
thanks

NOPE. i am not talking about offers. i am talking about matriculant seats, which at the end only 140 will matriculate. so let me re-state my self. " there will be approximately 40% of people that got interviewed that will end up matriculating"
thanks

Oh, well if your talking about matriculating, if 700 interview and 140 grab a seat then its 20%. 20% of people who interview will matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think shes saying that when you subtract the number of interviewees going to other schools, then you have a 40% chance of getting in. After subtraction, that would leave about 350 people who interviewed who are not accepting offers from other schools, vying for 140 spots.

Thanks RevDoc.....exactly my point!

Not trying to be pedantic, but now its back to the chances of getting offered, which is different from the chances of matriculating. I get that you're not competing with as many people as interviewed, but he 40% just isn't accurate. You still need the number of offers handed out AND the fuzzy numbers of how many people you're competing with if you want to know the chances of getting in.

Not trying to be pedantic, but now its back to the chances of getting offered, which is different from the chances of matriculating. I get that you're not competing with as many people as interviewed, but he 40% just isn't accurate. You still need the number of offers handed out AND the fuzzy numbers of how many people you're competing with if you want to know the chances of getting in.

i see u probably just really like to argue.......but i will not go there. SDN is burger King so "Have it your way." at the end of the day, we are all guessing and nothing is ever accurate . Stay bless and goodluck to you too.

And anyway... in the long run... who cares once we get to med school!

Cheers, friends. Hope we all get in somewhere :thumbup:

12.5 days!:eek::D

And anyway... in the long run... who cares once we get to med school!

Cheers, friends. Hope we all get in somewhere :thumbup:

12.5 days!:eek::D

Thanks for the positive spirit Dr.Hiner, am hoping you get ure first choice school, u are such a nice person on net and even more in person. God bless you and let the waiting cont'.

Last edited:
I have a question for current Texas Tech students. I am trying to make a choice deciding which school to go to. I am now reviewing the coa suggested by each school. I was wondering if the suggested cost of living expenses put forth by the school are actually true to form or if they tend to run higher or lower. Also, I am married and will have a child. Does any one know if adjustments can be made to the budget and if so by how much.

I have a question for current Texas Tech students. I am trying to make a choice deciding which school to go to. I am now reviewing the coa suggested by each school. I was wondering if the suggested cost of living expenses put forth by the school are actually true to form or if they tend to run higher or lower. Also, I am married and will have a child. Does any one know if adjustments can be made to the budget and if so by how much.

Well the living expenses have been accurate for me because they are only allowed to give you financial aid for the months you are actually in class (10 months MSI, 9 months MSII) so I stretched mine out over 12 months and have been living very comfortably (I have money in my budget for clothing, fun, etc.) I am a single female and rented my own apartment (some people share so their cost are lower). During years 3/4 when they give you loans for 12 month I feel I would have more than enough so I won't be borrowing the full amount offered.

I would imagine you would be fine. There are some great deals on housing here and I know a lot of the marriend families are in houses (not sure what average rent/mortage is for those) I know there is some sort of child/dependent allowance but don't know what it is. Most of the married people in my class have a spouse who is working so they actually borrow less since the spouse helps with living expenses usually.

I think shes saying that when you subtract the number of interviewees going to other schools, then you have a 40% chance of getting in. After subtraction, that would leave about 350 people who interviewed who are not accepting offers from other schools, vying for 140 spots.
Technically, it's more like 130-135 spots...we have two TA's who are getting their MS degrees here at tech and they both got in for next year, and also there will be a few kids who decide to repeat next year, so that's fewer spots. I think we have about ten repeats in our class. No one can predict just how many spots are available.
Obviously, if you're planning on raising a kid in med school, you're going to have to stretch your dollars more. However, costs of living in Lubbock can be half of those in cities like Houston, Dallas, SA, etc, so that is one good thing in your situation. I'm pretty sure the COL allowances do not include childcare expenses because they assume you would have a working spouse who can help with the costs. I have heard from some folks that you can borrow more if you demonstrate need, but I would bet that you'd be able to only get 5K more.

also there will be a few kids who decide to repeat next year, so that's fewer spots. I think we have about ten repeats in our class. No one can predict just how many spots are available

How many students are allowed to repeat each year? If a student is having to repeat one class, that student takes a spot for that entire year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of the marriend families are in houses (not sure what average rent/mortage is for those)

My husband and I are renting a decent two bedroom house for $725. However, we will be closing on a house on the 1st, and our mortgage payment is going to be a little over $600 (both houses are close to campus). You can definitely rent/buy a nice house in Lubbock at an affordable price.

lol. i think i know who u are coz i spoke to u over the phone the other day. lol.lol. Yes u will get additional money for childcare expenses, this comes directly from the director of finaNcial aid's mouth during my interview at Tech. She specifically asked if any one had a child in our group and i raised my hand up. she then said the federal goverment covers 100% of additional money that you can borrow for childcare expenses. she did not give a specific amount but she said it will be enough to take care of my child if i decide to take the money regardless of the status of my spouse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive spirit Dr.Hiner, am hoping you get ure first choice school, u are such a nice person on net and even more in person. God bless you and let the waiting cont'.

Hey, thanks a bunch :) Your message really made me smile! Blessings and luck to you too! The wait is almost over!! :luck:

If you have a family you will get a financial aid adjustment sheet and will definitely get more money. I have a family, so if anyone on here has any questions please let me know.

Does a family constitute having only a spouse as well, or does it require kids?

for financial aid purposess, your spouse does not count towards Cost of attendance adjustment said the director of financial aid. ONLY Children are added to increase the money you get. The bottom line is the spouse needs to go find a job becoz no extra cash will be given because someone's spouse is not working. Hope that helps.

Not what I wanted to hear - but it does help to know that. Thanks mimi.

Technically, it's more like 130-135 spots...we have two TA's who are getting their MS degrees here at tech and they both got in for next year, and also there will be a few kids who decide to repeat next year, so that's fewer spots. I think we have about ten repeats in our class. No one can predict just how many spots are available.

Obviously, if you're planning on raising a kid in med school, you're going to have to stretch your dollars more. However, costs of living in Lubbock can be half of those in cities like Houston, Dallas, SA, etc, so that is one good thing in your situation. I'm pretty sure the COL allowances do not include childcare expenses because they assume you would have a working spouse who can help with the costs. I have heard from some folks that you can borrow more if you demonstrate need, but I would bet that you'd be able to only get 5K more.
Maybe this helps...

2964 applied, 761 interviewed, 326 were accepted, 140 enrolled

From US News, the numbers from last year. A little more than 40% of those interviewed were accepted.

Not what I wanted to hear - but it does help to know that. Thanks mimi.

Does your husband/wife not work? I am married and we took out a smaller amount of loans than most. If your spouse is working you will be fine. If they are in school, also - then you will be able to get more loans.

There is someone in our class that I know of that has a spouse who does not work, as she stays at home to care for their two young children. They seem to be doing fine, but I'd imagine they have to do some serious budgeting to make it work.

Moral: Make sure your spouse is working or in school and you should be fine (unless a baby is on the way, in which case you'd soon be able to apply for some more aid).

GOOD LUCK to everyone monday, esp to all my peeps from WEST TEXAS! LOL. Dust never killed nobody, and we love it here with all the cottons and cow s***.:D:thumbup:

Wow, Monday is the match? Good luck to you all. Hope you get great news.

Good luck to all esp to all of those who rank Tech #1 on the match. it really would be nice if all of us can be where we are really happy.
God Bless

What time do we get results? I was thinking it was midnight tonight

Good luck to all esp to all of those who rank Tech #1 on the match. it really would be nice if all of us can be where we are really happy.
God Bless

You'll be happy wherever you are, even if it's not your #1 choice. Tech wasn't my first choice and I'm incredibly happy here.

What time do we get results? I was thinking it was midnight tonight

I think it's 8am tomorrow. :scared: Good luck to you!

i only interviewed here so if I don't match here.... well......

If you don't match here then you will get waitlisted, most likely. Lots of people get off the Tech waitlist. Tomorrow is not the end of the road and you can't look at it like it is. We had waitlister get called on the day of white coat last year.

DrH,

sorry to pass on the bug - i cant help it! this is like making me physically sick! i cant eat and i feel like vomiting - ive never been so scared/nervous in my life!!!!!!!!!!!

i only interviewed here so if I don't match here.... well......

Haha, it's all good. Honestly, I was nervous before... just making light conversation for distraction purposes :) we're all better off not watching the clock anyway.

As a side note, even if you don't get in this year, there IS a waitlist as aggie08 said and it does move. And WORST case scenario, like what happened to me last year at UT-Houston... you don't get in and you have to reapply.

If it's what you truly love, you'll get it eventually :) And truthfully, having this year off has been the biggest blessing... may not be for everyone, but having a year to decompress from my hardcore undergrad probably saved me from a lot of hell in med school. I know it still won't be easy, but at least I'll be going at it fresh this time :D

****.... just realized i have class tomorrow at 8. fml

Wow, that really sucks...

Maybe find a computer lab next to your class and be a couple minutes late? You'll probably learn more by being late then being a nervous wreck not knowing all class.

Anyway, I hope you (and I) get great news tomorrow regarding Tech or any medical school! :) The wait will be worth it then... :luck:

Matched! :D

Anyone know when does the orientation start?

Matched! :D

Anyone know when does the orientation start?

It'll probably be at the very end of July. This past year we started on July 29th, with White Coat Ceremony being on August 1.

If you're antsy to read about stuff, this page was for our class, but most of the information will be the same.

Can't wait to meet y'all!!!

It'll probably be at the very end of July. This past year we started on July 29th, with White Coat Ceremony being on August 1.

If you're antsy to read about stuff, this page was for our class, but most of the information will be the same.

Can't wait to meet y'all!!!

Thanks! That definitely helps. :thumbup:

Congrats to those who matched today- I can't wait to meet you at Spring Training and/or next year! The best time of being a medical student is between acceptance and the start of classes so enjoy it and get some rest because next year will be crazy busy!

Matched to Texas Tech! Can't wait to get a paper letter, or an email or something just so I am sure it was not a mistake.

Last edited:
Does Tech require any kind of deposit for incoming students?

Matched to Texas Tech! Can't wait to get a paper letter, or an email or something just so I am sure it was not a mistake.

I feel exactly the same way, I did not recieve a pre-match offer from Texas Tech and can't wait to recieve a letter or email, confirming that they really want me!

does anyone have any idea of how fast movement occurs on the waitlist, if at all?

does anyone have any idea of how fast movement occurs on the waitlist, if at all?

It will be a little while before it starts, but there will be some. Hang tight.

Hey. Anyone planning on attending the re-applicant seminar they plan on hosting in a few weeks?

Hey. Anyone planning on attending the re-applicant seminar they plan on hosting in a few weeks?

oh, i am interested - could you post or PM me the details/info on this? did they email you? thanks

I plan on going. Hopefully I can be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.