2009-2010 Wright State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cocobobby1, I'm in a very similar situation! Just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I found out that I can't reschedule my interview for the 1st because it turns out our freaking lab final exam IS the 1st. I hate when instructors lie and say that we won't be having class only to turn around and say that not only will we have class, but it will be the final. It's so depressing! And right after Thanksgiving too...who does that?!?! Oh well, good luck with your interview, I guess I'm sticking with 12/02

Oh that sucks! Good luck to you too!

I interviewed on 11/3... no news yet and the suspense is building for me... anyone heard from around then?

Good luck to all :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was complete mid September, 3.5 gpa and 37 MCAT, solid extracurriculars, in-state. Are they not interested? How do you know if they've processed your app yet? Is it appropriate to call and ask?

So I was complete mid September, 3.5 gpa and 37 MCAT, solid extracurriculars, in-state. Are they not interested? How do you know if they've processed your app yet? Is it appropriate to call and ask?

They probably think you'd turn them down for Ohio State or Case with that MCAT.

They probably think you'd turn them down for Ohio State or Case with that MCAT.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! If that's the case, are they just not going to interview me or are they going to hold onto my app until late in the season? How do you know? Is it inappropriate to call them and just ask what they're doing with my app?

para57, i got an invite from OSU last wednesday actually... not till march 1st so thats bad news but hopefully i can try and reschedule for sometime in jan or feb since i go to school here... they seem to be the first to act for everyone but they took 2 months for me... good luck, the wait is killin me. hopefully toledo, wright, and cinci can get their ass in gear soon.

para57, i got an invite from OSU last wednesday actually... not till march 1st so thats bad news but hopefully i can try and reschedule for sometime in jan or feb since i go to school here... they seem to be the first to act for everyone but they took 2 months for me... good luck, the wait is killin me. hopefully toledo, wright, and cinci can get their ass in gear soon.

yay for fellow buckeyes! :)

ooo yay... put on a "stand-by list"... whatever the hell that means... wtf

ooo yay... put on a "stand-by list"... whatever the hell that means... wtf

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you make it on the top 1/3 of the waitlist, which is a decent position at Wright St. from what I heard on the interview day.

When was your interview date?

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you make it on the top 1/3 of the waitlist, which is a decent position at Wright St. from what I heard on the interview day.

When was your interview date?

Thanks, i hope so too. I prob wont know my waitlist position till later in cycle. I interviewed Oct. 28

I interviewed 11/17...haven't heard anything from this school:(

So I was complete mid-september, haven't heard anything. I sent an "in the area" email on Dec 3, letting them know I will be there from Dec 18 to Jan 1. I still haven't heard anything from them, they never even acknowledged the email. Should I follow up with a phone call? Another email? Anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
In!!! Complete early Sept, interview Oct 28th (invite mid-October), so it arrived just short of the 6 week mark.

I was a re-app, and OOS this year (applied as an in-state here though, with 22 years of OH residency, so I'm guessing that gave me a boost)... definitely THRILLED about this school!!!

I interviewed 11/17...haven't heard anything from this school:(

Patience my friend haha, I interviewed 11/3 and am waiting. Good luck. :xf:

In!!! Complete early Sept, interview Oct 28th (invite mid-October), so it arrived just short of the 6 week mark.

I was a re-app, and OOS this year (applied as an in-state here though, with 22 years of OH residency, so I'm guessing that gave me a boost)... definitely THRILLED about this school!!!

Congrats!!! Awesome school.

I'll second the "patience". They do, as indicated by a few other posters, update their status page the day the decision is made. My letter was dated the 4th, and the status page was updated on the 3rd, indicating that a "decision had been made", so you'll know when to start checking your mailbox.

Just a heads up to those who interviewed late in November; last year, after doing the same, I did not receive my notice until mid-January.

Best of luck to everyone! Love this school hope to see some of you there in August!!

i was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion. i've been complete for over two months now (10/5) and i have not heard anything from this school. i have a 3.65 cgpa and a 36S. did i apply too late for them? i'm also in state...

i was just wondering if anyone could give me their opinion. i've been complete for over two months now (10/5) and i have not heard anything from this school. i have a 3.65 cgpa and a 36S. did i apply too late for them? i'm also in state...

I'm in almost the same boat, and I'm getting concerned too. Can some of the people who got in post their numbers and when they were complete?

I'm in almost the same boat, and I'm getting concerned too. Can some of the people who got in post their numbers and when they were complete?

Well, I haven't been accepted yet, but I was complete on 9/22. I got my invite on 10/29 and my interview was last Wednesday. 28N and 3.91cGPA

Your guys MCATS are very high for this school so they probably think you will go somewhere else and dont want to waste their time on you.

are schools allowed to do that? i mean...seems like it's a bit biased...

my guess is that since there were no secondary essays, many people completed their secondary applications relatively early. i have a 3.84 cumulative gpa, and 28Q mcat, but i was complete in july. i got an invite in september, interviewed in october, and received my acceptance packet in late november. i also think a huge factor in my acceptance was my summer research internship; it gave me a lot to talk about during the interview. i believe wright state is big on accepting well-rounded individuals.

i would also disagree with the "your mcat is too high" post, because i know some people with very good mcat scores who received interview invites. i think a big factor is probably the timing of your application. a lot of people probably apply, thinking it will be their safety school since the average mcat is a couple points lower than most schools, and then they interview and are pleasantly surprised and impressed. don't give up hope. hang in there! and the admissions staff is wonderfully nice, so if you have any questions or concerns you should go ahead and give them a call.

this is just my opinion... it's pretty subjective so take it as you will. but then again, this whole process is subjective isn't it? best of luck!

If you have a high MCAT and you convey interest in staying in ohio (they also like primary care fields) then yes they will interview you. But if you just throw wright state in there as a safety they can see through that and will not waste their time. If you are truly interested in wright state maybe send an update letter showing your interest in their school? Im not certain about this since it would be pre-interview and usually thats discouraged but it could help.

Also wright state is awesome, if you do get an interview. Very laid back and I agree that they surprised me pleaseantly and are at the very top of my list.

Wright State is notorius for screening out high applicants. They don;t realize the average MCAT to get into med school is on the rise due to an increased sample size. I'm sorry, but 30 on the MCAT should be a cutoff. Tired of these people who got 4.0s at private liberal arts college, and then get 28s on the MCAT and are offered interviews. I mean cmon!

Ya I know that sounds crappy, but I'm frustrated!

my guess is that since there were no secondary essays, many people completed their secondary applications relatively early. i have a 3.84 cumulative gpa, and 28Q mcat, but i was complete in july. i got an invite in september, interviewed in october, and received my acceptance packet in late november. i also think a huge factor in my acceptance was my summer research internship; it gave me a lot to talk about during the interview. i believe wright state is big on accepting well-rounded individuals.

i would also disagree with the "your mcat is too high" post, because i know some people with very good mcat scores who received interview invites. i think a big factor is probably the timing of your application. a lot of people probably apply, thinking it will be their safety school since the average mcat is a couple points lower than most schools, and then they interview and are pleasantly surprised and impressed. don't give up hope. hang in there! and the admissions staff is wonderfully nice, so if you have any questions or concerns you should go ahead and give them a call.

this is just my opinion... it's pretty subjective so take it as you will. but then again, this whole process is subjective isn't it? best of luck!

I was complete in early August and haven't heard anything yet.

Wright State is notorius for screening out high applicants. They don;t realize the average MCAT to get into med school is on the rise due to an increased sample size. I'm sorry, but 30 on the MCAT should be a cutoff. Tired of these people who got 4.0s at private liberal arts college, and then get 28s on the MCAT and are offered interviews. I mean cmon!

You have it all wrong. If they accept people with 35+ MCATs the student goes somewhere else unless they have strong ties to wright state or the dayton area, in which case wright state will probably look at them. Why would they waste their time on these people who just add wright state as a "safety." They also care more about the entire application than most other school and really try to get to know you during interviews. The average matriculate to med school is 31, so why would 30 be a cutoff.....But I do agree if someone has a 4.0 and 28 you know something fishy was going on in their undergrad.

I was complete somewhere around September 10th, invited for an interview mid-late September, interviewed on October 7th, and accepted on November 2nd. 32O MCAT, 3.76 overall gpa.

I was complete somewhere around September 10th, invited for an interview mid-late September, interviewed on October 7th, and accepted on November 2nd. 32O MCAT, 3.76 overall gpa.
nice :thumbup: I'll probably see you there in august. They were really fast for me I was complete early sept., invited a week later, interviewed late sept, and accepted around oct. 20.

Secondary submitted 7/21, Complete ?, Interview Invite 8/24, Interview 9/30, Acceptance by mail 10/17.

IS, 34S, cGPA 3.7

.....But I do agree if someone has a 4.0 and 28 you know something fishy was going on in their undergrad.

How is that saying that something is going on in their undergrad?

Getting antsy... still haven't heard :( (11/3 interview)

Don't worry too much Pedie Packs. I interviewed 11/3 and haven't heard yet.

How is that saying that something is going on in their undergrad?
Yah sorry, I did not mean it like that. I just meant that if you have a 4.0 you should be able to get at least a 30 with some study. So disregard what I said.

Just so everyone has a heads up, I called the admissions office today and they told me that I would be going up in front of the committee tomorrow. So interview on 11/3, committee meets on 12/16 and I will find out ????. Hope this helps.

Oh wow. Thanks RW... that helps a lot. I was just going to call myself actually. I think / hope they will mail the decision tmrw.

Just so everyone has a heads up, I called the admissions office today and they told me that I would be going up in front of the committee tomorrow. So interview on 11/3, committee meets on 12/16 and I will find out ????. Hope this helps.

Man, so I still have almost forever until I find out. I interviewed 12/2. They weren't joking when they said the end of January. :(

Yeah interviewing right before the holidays is horrible. Atleast they told you an expected date though.

And Amber, maybe you shoulda taken that early interview date with me way back when we got invited in october haha.

Yeah interviewing right before the holidays is horrible. Atleast they told you an expected date though.

And Amber, maybe you shoulda taken that early interview date with me way back when we got invited in october haha.

Haha, yeah, I guess I should have. I didn't even have a suit at that time though! I would have been a mess.

But I do agree if someone has a 4.0 and 28 you know something fishy was going on in their undergrad.

No it doesn't. They're just different ways of evaluating applicants and it doesn't logically follow that someone with a 4.0 GPA ought to have an MCAT score as high (percentile wise). Also, there are other reasons for people not doing well on the MCAT besides being "non-intelligent."

wow, that IS crappy. someone could get a 39 on their mcat; that doesn't mean they're going to be a good doctor. personally, i know i had the potential to score much better on my mcat, but extenuating circumstances got in the way of my study schedule and didn't allow me to retake it during this application cycle. so, knowing i am a well-rounded applicant, i decided to give it a go this year. there are plenty of people who do so-so on their mcat and go on to score very well on their boards. that being said, if a person's mcat score is less than desirable and he is still offered an interview/acceptance/etc., you can be certain that he excelled elsewhere in the application.

i guess basically what i'm trying to say is... have faith in people. these are your future classmates. also, admissions committees know what they are doing. it's their job!

I applied to WSU for early decision. I had my interview on Sept. 16 and was accepted on October 1. I had a 31M MCAT and a 4.0 GPA as a chemistry major, with a considerable amount of ECs and research. My friend, also a chem major, got accepted the same day with a 27M MCAT and a GPA between 3.85 and 3.9.
Being that I was one of the first to get accepted, due to early decision, I created a facebook group for the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Class of 2014. I invite everyone that has been accepted to join.
Good luck to everyone!

My application has been "in the mail" since Thursday, and still not here! I live an hour away!!! :mad:

This wait is killllllllin me

ha bummer pedie, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it comes soon and has the word "accepted' in it.

Anyone heard anything from these guys lately? I'm still waiting to hear something.

Status
Not open for further replies.