2009 Applicant Thread for us non-clinical people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully you will hear something positive very soon. Cal has a very unconventional (I've been told) admissions process. The admission's committee as a whole looks and ranks all of the applicants, regardless of which lab they are pursuing. That means it does you no good to reach out to a POI to discuss how well matched your research interests are because they don't have any real pull in the process---EVEN if they sit on the committee. This also means that all the strongest applicants could be looking for a spot in Levenson's lab, therefore he ends of with 8 new students, while 2 others go to the remaining labs. Cal has 3 rounds of cut offs. The first round is to cut the fat. ie: last year social received 180 apps and 140 were cut in the first round. In round 2, the remaining 40 are then ranked on a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being the strongest and 5 the weakest. From that list, they take the top 10-13 applicants for interviews which is, of course, round 3. They anticipate about half to matriculate. Hope that is helpful.

Thanks for the info. I think I read on grad cafe that someone did already get an Berkeley interview for social, soooo I am probably out of the running! it's ok though.

____

whew! I just got an interview to UIC! Great way to start the weekend! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Congrats! I missed this part the other day. :)

It's been a quiet weekend here...I was hoping that I would hear from Duke soon (since I know someone had an interview with them before SPSP last year), but alas, no. No one on Grad Cafe has heard anything from their social program either, so I guess no news is good new for now. :)

Let's hope tomorrow brings some good news to start off the week! :cool:

I applied to a few school psych programs (along with some clinical psych ones) but the school psych schools are:

Temple
University of Delaware
Teachers College (Columbia)
Fordham

Has anyone heard form these programs?

Good luck with all of your interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a few school psych programs (along with some clinical psych ones) but the school psych schools are:

Temple
University of Delaware
Teachers College (Columbia)
Fordham

Has anyone heard form these programs?

Good luck with all of your interviews!

Fordham is supposed to send out interview invites this week for School Psych (...is what the mass email said). I applied to Fordham for School Psych Ph.D. as well. Good luck!

:luck:

Rejection e-mail from Michigan today...did you hear anything positive bellecalle?

Rejection e-mail from Michigan today...did you hear anything positive bellecalle?

Right there with ya! Got that same rejection... oh darn. It was a pretty long shot anyway. I do appreciate being notified fairly early, however.

So now I've heard from 2 of 17. I feel like the rejections are going to start pouring in soon.... Though I do feel better that I at least have 1 interview set up. They are willing to pay for my travel too! :)

Fordham is supposed to send out interview invites this week for School Psych (...is what the mass email said). I applied to Fordham for School Psych Ph.D. as well. Good luck!

:luck:

Thanks for the info! I did see that in the email. Let me know if you hear anything. Good luck to you! Hopefully I'll see you in New York sometime soon for an interview...

DePaul email went out today for Community M.A./Ph.D. and apparently letters are being sent out today!! AHHH!!

...Also, the email said there were only 45 applicants. Is that a low number? As in, should I be getting my hopes up? lol.

*deep breath*

DD completed a phone interview with the UK yesterday, a bit intimidating to be on a speaker phone and deal with accents, too, but it seemed to go very well

Has anyone heard back from UIUC and/or Lehigh for their counseling psych interviews?

Email 2/5 from graduate program director
Interview March 6th

Thanks for the info. I think I read on grad cafe that someone did already get an Berkeley interview for social, soooo I am probably out of the running! it's ok though.

____

Can you tell me your POI? I applied to that program. . . although it says still "pending manual review" on my status page I have yet to hear. I'm wondering if i should assume rejection at this point?

DD had her interview Monday, received her admittance today, but won't find out about scholarships & funding for at least a month, fingers and toes are crossed for good money.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my classmates received an invite to interview at Lehigh's counseling psych program, I think it's in mid-February.

I received an invite today to interview at Temple's school psych program on February 16.

KH, have you heard from Fordham yet?

Thanks & goodluck!

One of my classmates received an invite to interview at Lehigh's counseling psych program, I think it's in mid-February.

I received an invite today to interview at Temple's school psych program on February 16.

KH, have you heard from Fordham yet?

Thanks & goodluck!

I received an invite to Fordham's Counseling program yesterday. Interview date Feb. 24.

yay! just got an email invite to uc davis (social-personality)!! interview is march 9 :)

Hey everyone...

Ok, so it's almost Friday and Fordham's School Psych program said they'd be sending out interview invites by the 1st week in February. Anyone invited...aka should I give up on that option?? (I like eliminating choices as quickly as possible ;)). Has anyone called the school or anything? Supposedly the group interviews are scheduled for Feb 17-19th so the invites should be out or going out asap, I assume...

Hey everyone...

Ok, so it's almost Friday and Fordham's School Psych program said they'd be sending out interview invites by the 1st week in February. Anyone invited...aka should I give up on that option?? (I like eliminating choices as quickly as possible ;)). Has anyone called the school or anything? Supposedly the group interviews are scheduled for Feb 17-19th so the invites should be out or going out asap, I assume...

Olivia, you heard from Fordham's counseling psych, not school psych, is that right?

KH, I still haven't heard from Fordham, I will post if I do. Could you do the same? But like you said, I guess if we don't hear by today, it's a no-go according to the email?...

Best of luck!

Olivia, you heard from Fordham's counseling psych, not school psych, is that right?

KH, I still haven't heard from Fordham, I will post if I do. Could you do the same? But like you said, I guess if we don't hear by today, it's a no-go according to the email?...

Best of luck!

Hi Dani! Yes, it was for the Counseling.

They seem to be pretty behind. They had sent out an email saying they'd let us know by Feb. 2nd about interviews, but I didn't hear until Wed. the 4th. I am guessing something similar may be happening with the School program as well, so if you don't hear today, there's a good chance you're definitely still in the running! Best of luck!

Hi Dani! Yes, it was for the Counseling.

They seem to be pretty behind. They had sent out an email saying they'd let us know by Feb. 2nd about interviews, but I didn't hear until Wed. the 4th. I am guessing something similar may be happening with the School program as well, so if you don't hear today, there's a good chance you're definitely still in the running! Best of luck!

Yeah, perhaps they are behind on making decisions. I haven't seen anyone post on Grad Cafe about Fordham either...so maybe they haven't sent out invites yet? To all applicants, let's keep our fingers crossed!! I will definitely post if I hear anything (...and let's hope I/we do hear something ;)).

Does anyone have any information on the following:

University of California Santa Barbara - Phd, DEVO Concentration?

Florida Atlantic University - Experimental Psychology PhD program?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I just received an interview from Fordham's School Psych program this morning!! I am so excited! It's for Feb. 18th at the Lincoln Center campus. My first invite...yea!!

Does anyone have any information on the following:

University of California Santa Barbara - Phd, DEVO Concentration?

Florida Atlantic University - Experimental Psychology PhD program?

Thanks!

I applied to UCSB social and haven't heard of much.... I know that some people have already been rejected via their online status check, and some have been accepted too. But mine says zippo. Eh

Hey everyone!

I just received an interview from Fordham's School Psych program this morning!! I am so excited! It's for Feb. 18th at the Lincoln Center campus. My first invite...yea!!

Congrats, KH! Hope it goes well! Mine is on the 19. Do you have far to travel to get there? Are you going the night before?

Congrats, KH! Hope it goes well! Mine is on the 19. Do you have far to travel to get there? Are you going the night before?

Congrats to you too, daniterese! I'm in school in PA so my plan (right now) is just to take the train in and then return that same day. I'm a former NYer so I can (hopefully) easily get up to Lincoln Center from the Amtrak station. Or maybe I'll take a bus in??? My mind is changing as I'm typing this...lol. How about you?

Congrats to you too, daniterese! I'm in school in PA so my plan (right now) is just to take the train in and then return that same day. I'm a former NYer so I can (hopefully) easily get up to Lincoln Center from the Amtrak station. Or maybe I'll take a bus in??? My mind is changing as I'm typing this...lol. How about you?

Congrats, Dani and KH! If you need any travel advice (though it seems like you know where you're going, Kh! :) ) feel free to PM me! I live walking distance to the campus :)

I'm in PA, too, in school in Philly. I don't know when BoltBus runs, either that or the train. Then, I guess I'll get a cab from the train station to campus?

yay! just got an email invite to uc davis (social-personality)!! interview is march 9 :)

Congrats! Sorry for the delay...I just got back from SPSP and had minimal internet access. Davis is a great social-personality program with some awesome people there. Good luck!

I'm in PA, too, in school in Philly. I don't know when BoltBus runs, either that or the train. Then, I guess I'll get a cab from the train station to campus?

Yeah, you could take a cab up to near Lincoln Center or you could take the subway (A,C,E line)...or even a bus (but NY buses confuse me...lol). Wow...I just looked up Boltbus as I was typing this...amazing prices. NJTransit would be more expensive from Philly, right? Basically I have to go into Philly whether I take the train or the bus. I wonder how long the interview will run??

Congrats! Sorry for the delay...I just got back from SPSP and had minimal internet access. Davis is a great social-personality program with some awesome people there. Good luck!

thanks so much! im really excited! they're also paying for my airfare too! :) so now i've heard from 3 of my 17 schools.....

Hey all!

Got an interview with DePaul Community Psych Program! Yay! I'm very excited about this program.

Still haven't gotten official word from UI Chicago Community Psych & Prevention Research program. The coordinator was sort of vague on the phone. She said that as far as she knows, all invitation have been extended already-- though I wasn't sure if she was talking about the Clincial Psych program. Meh. Anyone hear anything? :confused:

So far, six interviews- BC Counseling, Loyola Chicago Counseling, DePaul Community, UMass Boston Clinical, UDenver Counseling, and URhode Island Clinical!

Still waiting to hear back from 3 more schools, though I'm assuming that I didn't get invites from Suffolk Clinical and UWashington Clinical. And I'm confused about UIC. I wish they just would send rejection emails, b/c rearranging flights and travel arrangements at the last minute is not fun.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!! :)

DeLaPsych-

I have an interview at Loyola Chicago Counseling too! Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
Hey all!

Got an interview with DePaul Community Psych Program! Yay! I'm very excited about this program.

Still haven't gotten official word from UI Chicago Community Psych & Prevention Research program. The coordinator was sort of vague on the phone. She said that as far as she knows, all invitation have been extended already-- though I wasn't sure if she was talking about the Clincial Psych program. Meh. Anyone hear anything? :confused:

Congrats on DePaul!! I received a letter from them today and almost chucked it because I automatically assumed it was a rejection since it looked so short. I like to take my rejections in stride and move on, apparently! Upon using my brain and rereading it I realized that I was waitlisted for the Community Ph.D. program...so that dream is not dead yet!! It's on it's last breath, but it's not dead ;)

Also, I haven't heard anything from UIC Chicago either. I don't know if that's good or bad, or if it means another waitlist?? When I called about a week and a half ago, I also was not sure if the woman on the phone was referring to CLINICAL invites or COMMUNITY invites. I mean, I know they're handing out Clinical invites but what about Community? Anyone have news?

Congrats to everyone with interviews so far! and Good luck too!

I'm still so up in the air with so many of my schools.. Got rejected from BC social earlier this week. So now I've heard from 4 of 17.. Waiting continues........
:scared:

Congrats to everyone with interviews so far! and Good luck too!

I'm still so up in the air with so many of my schools.. Got rejected from BC social earlier this week. So now I've heard from 4 of 17.. Waiting continues........
:scared:

Similar boat here. I've heard from 5/8, although one of those is an "maybe-rejection" (met briefly with POI, who told me I didn't get the interview, but it seemed I was still in his/her mind in case the interviewed people didn't work out....chances are very low though). I go to Rochester next week though, and I'm really excited about that.

So here's to waiting, and waiting, and waiting! :cool:

Hey Everyone,

My second invite....I just received an email from CUNY's Developmental Psych PhD at the Graduate Center. The interview dates are Feb 24 from 10-12pm and 2-4pm and then Feb 25th from 10am-4pm (each interview being 1 hr). So excited!!!

so i just checked my online status for columbia TC after seeing some clinical people say that they got their decision letters.. i applied to the social-organizational psych program there..

sooo the first sentence read:

Dear Bellecalle,
I am pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to Teachers College, Columbia University for the 2009 Fall Term.

and then i read on and then realized that they want to admit me to their MA program, and not the PhD.... :(

so i just checked my online status for columbia TC after seeing some clinical people say that they got their decision letters.. i applied to the social-organizational psych program there..

sooo the first sentence read:

Dear Bellecalle,
I am pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to Teachers College, Columbia University for the 2009 Fall Term.

and then i read on and then realized that they want to admit me to their MA program, and not the PhD.... :(

Aw...well, congrats I guess...although it isn't what you wanted. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine two years ago for NYU's mathematics program.
Frustrating, I'm sure.

Any other news? I'm still waiting for some other places, and I interview at Rochester this weekend. :cool:

Aw...well, congrats I guess...although it isn't what you wanted. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine two years ago for NYU's mathematics program.
Frustrating, I'm sure.

Any other news? I'm still waiting for some other places, and I interview at Rochester this weekend. :cool:

I mean, I guess I am happy that it wasn't a flat-out rejection, but also, it just seems like it's their way of "nicely" rejecting someone. On the application, it even asks if you'd like to be considered for the masters program, and I indicated no. Whatever! At least I have some back up plan. I have until mid May to respond so that's plenty of time!

Good luck at Rochester this weekend!! :luck: I'm sure you'll blow them away! Def let me know how it goes after!

My first interview isn't until next weekend.. And yeah, I'm still waiting as well. Some I know are most definitely delayed rejections. Others, not so sure. I think I may have a fair chance at U of Georgia and U of Delaware, so I'm waiting out for those in particular. We'll see!

Did anyone else apply to NYU's program in applied psychology and social intervention? I haven't heard anything from them and don't know of anyone else who applied to their program. Thanks

Did anyone else apply to NYU's program in applied psychology and social intervention? I haven't heard anything from them and don't know of anyone else who applied to their program. Thanks

Hi, don't know about that program in particular (except it looks like a great program with interesting research opps), but others are still waiting too as far as I know, including counseling psych which already had interviews

hi there, i applied to PSI (at NYU) last year... it's a very nice program but i remember it took an extra long time to hear back from them. they had a delay because of not knowing what funds would be available, and therefore how many people they could take.

did anyone else apply to (or get any word from) the university of kansas counseling phd program?
:xf:

hi there, i applied to PSI (at NYU) last year... it's a very nice program but i remember it took an extra long time to hear back from them. they had a delay because of not knowing what funds would be available, and therefore how many people they could take.

Any information regarding the application process? I called the department this afternoon trying to find out if they do interviews or phone interviews, and got transferred to three different people before ending up with a voicemail.

Any information regarding the application process? I called the department this afternoon trying to find out if they do interviews or phone interviews, and got transferred to three different people before ending up with a voicemail.
hi mala, last year they did phone interviews during the month of february... after that there was a "visit day" in march for the top 5 candidates. if you have questions, you might want to drop a line to prof. larry aber, who is very nice and very responsive...

Has anyone heard anything from U of Florida, counseling psychology phd? Interview info? Acceptance? Rejection? Anything? ;)