2009 DAT Errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaa_

OMFS Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just took the 2009 ADA DAT and I have two questions about the biology section:

Q 14. Which is the major intracellular buffer?

A. TRIS
B. Acetate
C. Phosphate
D. Bicarbonate
E. Calcium Carbonate

The answer key says it is Bicarbonate. I thought that bicarbonate is an inTERcellular buffer. I am pretty sure that phosphate is the intracellular buffer from what I have read. I also thought it was this because I use a phosphate buffer when culturing cells in the lab!! Also, I'm almost positive this is a destroyer BIO question word for word...

Q 31. Growth (increased length) of long bones originates in which of the following regions
A. Diaphysis
B. Metaphysis
C. Epiphysis
D. Periosteum
E. Medullary Cavity

The answer key says C. I know that bone growth occurs at the epiphyseal plate (growth plate). However, I was under the impression that this plate was actually located in the metaphysis. I am almost positive that I read somewhere (either destroyer or Crack the DAT) that the only part of the bone that grows in length is the metaphysis.

This is what wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyseal_plate

BTW: These are not included on the provided error sheet (or at least the one that I have)

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I just took the 2009 ADA DAT and I have two questions about the biology section:

Q 14. Which is the major intracellular buffer?

A. TRIS
B. Acetate
C. Phosphate
D. Bicarbonate
E. Calcium Carbonate

The answer key says it is Bicarbonate. I thought that bicarbonate is an inTERcellular buffer. I am pretty sure that phosphate is the intracellular buffer from what I have read. I also thought it was this because I use a phosphate buffer when culturing cells in the lab!! Also, I'm almost positive this is a destroyer BIO question word for word...

Q 31. Growth (increased length) of long bones originates in which of the following regions
A. Diaphysis
B. Metaphysis
C. Epiphysis
D. Periosteum
E. Medullary Cavity

The answer key says C. I know that bone growth occurs at the epiphyseal plate (growth plate). However, I was under the impression that this plate was actually located in the metaphysis. I am almost positive that I read somewhere (either destroyer or Crack the DAT) that the only part of the bone that grows in length is the metaphysis.

This is what wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyseal_plate

BTW: These are not included on the provided error sheet (or at least the one that I have)

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank you in advance!

Q 14 is Phosphate is a major Intracellular buffer. That should be the answer.

Q31, answer is correct.