2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another week gone by, and still no word from Mount Sinai.

I hope all this waiting will prove to be worth it in the end ...

Members don't see this ad.

Another week gone by, and still no word from Mount Sinai.

I hope all this waiting will prove to be worth it in the end ...

Yeah. I hope that everything works out with Mt. Sinai. You've always exceeded everyone's expectations and I certainly think Mt. Sinai thinks highly of you.

I don't know when you'll hear back but I heard that medical school acceptances are very dynamic. My friends all tell me that they get accepted when you least expect it - so maybe it helps to get distracted for a few days.

In any case, I think you've done well for yourself and if I was on the Mt. Sinai committee, I'd definitely make a case for all the other members to accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh - another week? Blech! Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

I just got an interview invite from FSU! So excited! :love:

Student? Any news?

I just got a letter from Mount Sinai. I've been REJECTED, not even waitlisted. This was a shock, considering how the interviews went; I certainly had no illusions that I was a shoo-in for the school, but it really hurts that they didn't think I was even worthy of the waitlist. To top it all off, the letter is really cold and nasty in its language.

There goes my last hope of staying with my family. This is a very heavy blow.

I just got a letter from Mount Sinai. I've been REJECTED, not even waitlisted. This was a shock, considering how the interviews went; I certainly had no illusions that I was a shoo-in for the school, but it really hurts that they didn't think I was even worthy of the waitlist. To top it all off, the letter is really cold and nasty in its language.

:(:cry: I'm sorry hon. Here's me discussing things with Sinai (I'm on the right): :slap:

Ah man that sucks :( Kind of like being stood up for a date - what did they say in the letter? Did they at least acknowledge that you interviewed with them and explain why they rejected you? Do they accept January MCAT scores?

At least you still have RFU to fall back on and the SUNY medical school might consider you.

Did they at least acknowledge that you interviewed with them and explain why they rejected you?

No and no.

This is the entire text of the letter. Notice how they went out of their way to tell me I wasn't even worthy of the waitlist (bolded text):

"Dear _____,

We regret to inform you that we will not be able to offer you a place in the Mount Sinai School of Medicine for the coming year. A large number of highly qualified applicants apply to the School of Medicine and, for this reason it has become necessary to withhold offers of acceptance to many worthy applicants. This decision was reached after a thorough review of waitlisted applicants and careful consideration of your qualifications.

We appreciate the interest you showed in applying to Mount Sinai School of Medicine and wish you success in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

Alan C. Carver, MD
Assistant Dean for Admissions"

Do they accept January MCAT scores?

They must have in my case, or I'd never have gotten the interview in the first place.

the SUNY medical school might consider you.

Realistically, no. I have very unfavorable WL positions at both of the SUNY schools where I interviewed. Ironically, I'm in much better shape at the state schools where I'm OOS: Vermont and EVMS. Both tell me I'm in the top third. I'm not sure where I stand at GW, because their WL is unranked.

At this point, Vermont is my best hope. I've been calling and emailing them every month to let them know how much I love the school. I hope to God that May 15th brings me some good news.

I'm so so sorry, student. :( I've really been thinking that Sinai would come through for you...

Congrats!

And what are you a chodan in?

(Tang Soo Do here)

Also Tang Soo Do! I haven't worked out in about five years, though. I developed tendonitis in both hips and right shoulder; pretty much sidelined me right after making chodan when I was 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also Tang Soo Do! I haven't worked out in about five years, though. I developed tendonitis in both hips and right shoulder; pretty much sidelined me right after making chodan when I was 17.

Ouch. I got my belt after turning 18. However, I've been a black belt for 12 years now! I'll PM you a video of me doing a form. :) Sorry to hear about your injuries. :(

I am sorry to hear this, student. How far are you from the DO school in NY? NYCOM seems to have pretty good reputation..

I'm sorry hear the lousy news from Mt. Sinai, student. That blows. I know it may not feel like much consolation now, but it truly is their loss. You're going to be a fantastic physician one day.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the other SUNY's.

I'm sorry hear the lousy news from Mt. Sinai, student. That blows. I know it may not feel like much consolation now, but it truly is their loss.

The way I see it, it's MY loss. Not that I didn't get into that particular school (yes, it was my dream school, but I'm a grown-up--I can handle it). It's the fact that it was my ONLY hope of staying in NY. The thought of being 800 miles away from my husband and the boys is really painful. But it's my only chance to be a doctor, and I can't turn back now.

I just wish the med school application process was less rigid and more human. For God's sake, if Albany or NYMC had even agreed to interview me with my 33 MCAT score (which both flatly refused to even look at), I would have happily attended either school, even though they're both at the bottom of the heap in terms of prestige. I just wanted to go to med school near my home. I'm not an idiot and I proved it, but no one would listen.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the other SUNY's.
No no no--wrong schools! :) Never mind SUNY, think Vermont! (As my kids say, "The maple syrup place.") Not only am I not getting into SUNY (my WL position sucks--they told me so), but Vermont is actually closer.

So if anyone wants to send me good-luck vibes, I'll take them with open arms. But PLEASE send them to Vermont, OK?

Seriously, though, thanks for your kind words. It's an incredibly tough time for me right now, and I really appreciate the support.

I am sorry to hear this, student. How far are you from the DO school in NY? NYCOM seems to have pretty good reputation..

Right, Student1799, did you have a chance to apply to some DO schools in the NYC area? I believe that there is Touro-Harlem, NYIT, and NYCOM - I think you would have been a very competitive candidate for those schools. My understanding is that you will have the same practice rights as an MD physician if you graduated from a DO school and take the USMLE.

I know NYC allopathic schools are crazy hard to get into. Just looking at the MSAR, I see that most people who apply to NYC MD medical schools (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai) have an average of 3.8 GPA and a 37 MCAT - I don't know what their cut-offs are but most schools in and around NYC seem to be very number driven. Also, it's surprising that you placed higher on the waitlist at OOS schools than the SUNY schools. Did you interview at those schools earlier than the in-state schools?

I wish you the best for Vermont.

Last edited:
Right, Student1799, did you have a chance to apply to some DO schools in the NYC area?
No, I considered DO, but decided against it. I want to be an MD.

I know NYC allopathic schools are crazy hard to get into. Just looking at the MSAR, I see that most people who apply to NYC MD medical schools (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai) have an average of 3.8 GPA and a 37 MCAT - I don't think anyone would have a realistic chance unless they had a 3.6 GPA and a 34+ MCAT.

Yes, but you're forgetting schools like Downstate, Einstein and Stony Brook, all of which I applied to (and got rejected, of course). If I had gotten my most recent MCAT score earlier, I would have had a good shot at those schools. The same applies to NYMC and Albany (3.5/30 kind of places), which could have given me interviews based on the new MCAT, but they refused to look at it.

No, I considered DO, but decided against it. I want to be an MD.

Yes, but you're forgetting schools like Downstate, Einstein and Stony Brook, all of which I applied to (and got rejected, of course). If I had gotten my most recent MCAT score earlier, I would have had a good shot at those schools. The same applies to NYMC and Albany (3.5/30 kind of places), which could have given me interviews based on the new MCAT, but they refused to look at it.

Could you defer for a year and re-apply?

Could you defer for a year and re-apply?

No. If you defer, you can't apply elsewhere during the deferral. If I was going to reapply, I'd have to give up my spot at Rosalind Franklin, which I think would just be too risky. I think I have to fish or cut bait, given my age (45).

I'm not sure if that is true. It depends on the deferment contract (if there is one).

I'm not sure if that is true. It depends on the deferment contract (if there is one).

No don't defer. If you get in, don't take any more risks. It'll be more competitive next year (especially in NYC where the MCAT and GPA are off the wall). Besides that, I'm pretty sure that you have to let the medical schools know that you've reapplied - either on the application or during the interview. You'll come out looking really bad if you defer or withdraw even though you already snagged an acceptance.

Probably good advice. Just sucks that it didn't work out for you. Maybe I'll see you at RFU in the Fall.

No no no--wrong schools! :) Never mind SUNY, think Vermont! (As my kids say, "The maple syrup place.") Not only am I not getting into SUNY (my WL position sucks--they told me so), but Vermont is actually closer.

So if anyone wants to send me good-luck vibes, I'll take them with open arms. But PLEASE send them to Vermont, OK?

Seriously, though, thanks for your kind words. It's an incredibly tough time for me right now, and I really appreciate the support.

Vermont it is. Good vibes coming your way :)

Ugh. I am very late to hear the news (apologies), but student, I am shocked and my heart is absolutely breaking for you. :cry: The rejection is cruel and unfair (particularly given how much the interviews were supposedly worth and how well yours went.) I can't understand why they would have offered you an interview at all if this was going to be the result. I could go on, but words are inadequate to describe the anger/sadness/hurt I am feeling for you, so instead I'll send some *hugs* and some *good vibes* for Vermont your way. :thumbup: I really hope things work out for you to be closer to home. :xf:

An update from my world: I am in love . . . with Portland. :love: Holy moly, what a city! We just got back yesterday, and I am still sort of reeling. The interviews went well, but I have no clue how all of this will go down (and actually I'm a little afriad of getting in becuase I'm not sure I could turn down the chance to live in a city that cool . . . but it's immensely far from both of our families, which means the guilt trips from them will just get worse!) Ah well, my new policy is that I'm simply not going to worry about such decisions until/unless I actually have to make them. :) Even if I don't get in, though, we had a lovely trip and it was very nice to get away. Now back to reality!

Some good news to report... I got 3 interviews this cycle, with 1 wait list offer, 1 "still under consideration", and.. an acceptance!

I signed up here 2 yrs ago at the same time I decided to start down this path of becoming a doctor. It feels amazing that all that hard work paid off. Retook a year's worth of pre-reqs (an "informal post-bacc" of sorts) which I had taken many yrs ago.. really helped out with the MCAT to have that knowledge fresh in mind. Volunteered 1+ yrs, and also worked in the healthcare field.

Luckily I got in on my first try... I'm 27, soon to be 28. Let me just say I applied to a LOT of schools. The few interviews that I did get seemed totally random, so I encourage you guys to definitely apply to a large selection of schools. You never know which school is going to take a look at your app and resonate with some part of it. Good luck guys, you can do it!

Some good news to report... I got 3 interviews this cycle, with 1 wait list offer, 1 "still under consideration", and.. an acceptance!

I signed up here 2 yrs ago at the same time I decided to start down this path of becoming a doctor. It feels amazing that all that hard work paid off. Retook a year's worth of pre-reqs (an "informal post-bacc" of sorts) which I had taken many yrs ago.. really helped out with the MCAT to have that knowledge fresh in mind. Volunteered 1+ yrs, and also worked in the healthcare field.

Luckily I got in on my first try... I'm 27, soon to be 28. Let me just say I applied to a LOT of schools. The few interviews that I did get seemed totally random, so I encourage you guys to definitely apply to a large selection of schools. You never know which school is going to take a look at your app and resonate with some part of it. Good luck guys, you can do it!

That's awesome. Congrats!

I'll send some *hugs* and some *good vibes* for Vermont your way. :thumbup: I really hope things work out for you to be closer to home. :xf:

Culture, thanks so much for your sympathy and good wishes. As crushing as the whole Mount Sinai business has been, it really does help to know that someone out there understands how it really feels. Due to when it occurred, this news managed to ruin our 20th anniversary, Passover, Easter and my birthday (yesterday) all in one fell swoop. In homage to The Princess Bride (one of my favorite movies of all time), I'm calling it the W.O.U.S. (Week Of Unusual Suckage).

But just this afternoon, when I thought it was all over, I got an unexpected bonus: an interview invite from Temple! The interview is next Thursday. It's not New York, but it's as close as I'm likely to get, and easily accessible by train. After what I went through with Sinai, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it would certainly be nice if this went my way. :xf::xf:

An update from my world: I am in love . . . with Portland. :love: Even if I don't get in, though, we had a lovely trip and it was very nice to get away.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, and I hope you have the "high-class problem" of having to decide whether to attend OHSU! Good luck. :luck:

Congrats to unsung and CRF on your recent acceptances! Woot! :woot:

But just this afternoon, when I thought it was all over, I got an unexpected bonus: an interview invite from Temple! The interview is next Thursday. It's not New York, but it's as close as I'm likely to get, and easily accessible by train. After what I went through with Sinai, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it would certainly be nice if this went my way. :xf::xf:

student, that's great news!!! What a nice (and much needed!) surprise. :thumbup: I'll be crossing my fingers and sending good vibes out for Philly as well as Vermont now! :luck::xf:

EDIT: P.S. - Happy belated birthday!!

Last edited:
Culture, thanks so much for your sympathy and good wishes. As crushing as the whole Mount Sinai business has been, it really does help to know that someone out there understands how it really feels. Due to when it occurred, this news managed to ruin our 20th anniversary, Passover, Easter and my birthday (yesterday) all in one fell swoop. In homage to The Princess Bride (one of my favorite movies of all time), I'm calling it the W.O.U.S. (Week Of Unusual Suckage).

Hey, don't let a rejection get you down. Be thankful for what you have :)

I think Nixon put it best when he said: "Only when you've been in the deepest valley can you know how magnificent it feels to stand on highest mountain" - That's certainly true now that you've been accepted to RFU and have an interview from Temple.

Dear All,

I have a question regarding recommendation letters. I apologize if this information is readily available elsewhere, but I’ve been looking for an answer and have been unable to find one on various premed websites.

Basically, I am a nontraditional applicant who intends to apply this year for admission to medical school for the Class of 2010. My inquiry relates to the fact that I have been working in the engineering field for the past 2 years, which means that I have been pretty far removed from a scholastic environment for some time.

My question is – given this gap of schooling, do I still need to request a reference from my undergraduate institution’s premedical advisor? I intend to apply with recommendations from: my PI in undergrad with whom I did research and published a paper; my supervisor from my first engineering job out of college; and my professor from the two infectious diseases courses I took after graduation. I will also contact a physics professor with whom I took a physics course after graduation.

Please let me know if these letters are sufficient or if it is still necessary to submit a comprehensive recommendation.

Regards!

My question is – given this gap of schooling, do I still need to request a reference from my undergraduate institution’s premedical advisor? I intend to apply with recommendations from: my PI in undergrad with whom I did research and published a paper; my supervisor from my first engineering job out of college; and my professor from the two infectious diseases courses I took after graduation. I will also contact a physics professor with whom I took a physics course after graduation.

Please let me know if these letters are sufficient or if it is still necessary to submit a comprehensive recommendation.

This sounds like a good list. 4 letters total, 3 from faculty, 2 from BCPM faculty. You'd be hard pressed to find a school whose requirements aren't met.

Hey guys! Long time, no post! (for everyone, it seems!) I got a bit of news this week - I'm on "hold" at OHSU :( . . . which means more waiting until May 15th when they make their waitlist, and I find out if I'm accepted or WL'd and if WL'd what my rank is (yes, that's correct, they haven't even MADE their waitlist yet . . . UGH! :( ) This is ugly because it could mean a last-minute decision if I manage to get into both Mizzou and OHSU during the summer months. Woof. So, I'm trying to sort out my reasoning now so a last-minute decision won't be quite so stressful, but it's REALLY tough! There are too many/complicated pros and cons for each school. Anyone else having decision woes?

student, how did your Temple interview go? When will you hear from them? :luck:

Hey guys! Long time, no post! (for everyone, it seems!) I got a bit of news this week - I'm on "hold" at OHSU :( . . . which means more waiting until May 15th when they make their waitlist, and I find out if I'm accepted or WL'd and if WL'd what my rank is (yes, that's correct, they haven't even MADE their waitlist yet . . . UGH! :( ) This is ugly because it could mean a last-minute decision if I manage to get into both Mizzou and OHSU during the summer months. Woof. So, I'm trying to sort out my reasoning now so a last-minute decision won't be quite so stressful, but it's REALLY tough! There are too many/complicated pros and cons for each school. Anyone else having decision woes?

I totally sympathize with you about being on WLs. I think I'm about to have the most agonizing summer in history.

student, how did your Temple interview go? When will you hear from them? :luck:

I THOUGHT it went well, but now I'm not sure. I had 2 interviews, one with a student (who seemed more or less in awe of me) and one with a faculty member, a professor of peds. She was extremely complimentary about my background and said that medicine would be lucky to have me [I had already mentioned that I was accepted at another school], but expressed one concern that worried me a bit. She said, "I think the other students will accept you 100%, but I'm a little worried about how the faculty will react. Because you're so mature and have so much life experience, as soon as you learn a bit of medical stuff you'll be smarter than most of the attendings who'll be supervising you, and they might be intimidated by you. How do you think you'll deal with that?" I tried my best to set her mind at ease about this, but I'm not sure if I convinced her. After the interviews, I sent thank-yous to the prof and the dean of admissions, stating clearly that Temple was my #1 choice and that I was 100% committed to attending the school if admitted.

There were 2 adcom meetings after my interview date (which the staff told us was the very last day they were seeing applicants), the last one of which was supposedly Friday. There was no word Monday, and I was wondering how long it would be, since they seemed a bit backed up with applicants who still hadn't heard (people who interviewed a month ago still had "interview complete" as their status). But today I found out by checking SDN that a bunch of applicants had status changes, and it turns out that I did too. Unfortunately, my status is "Correspondence mailed," which can only mean a waitlist or (God forbid) a rejection.

So it looks as if the BEST case scenario is another waitlist. That really, really hurts, considering what I've already been through and how much I wanted this school. I just don't know why I can't catch a break when I could really use one.

Hi student,

not sure if this is positive or not, but I never had ANYONE state they would be in awe of me or look up to me after I'd gained a bit of knowledge..the take was more..this guy has done some cool things in finance.. but can he take a patient history?

Funny how individual these interviews can be.. at Colorado one of my interviewers was probably late 60's -- I was just a spring chicken to her -- the other person was probably late 50's -- age just didn't seem an issue b/c me versus a 22 yr old were both categorized as "someone far younger than me".

Best of luck w/OHSU -- ran into a person a few weeks back I'd place in the 47+ age bracket, accepted to Colorado & OHSU..

I THOUGHT it went well, but now I'm not sure. I had 2 interviews, one with a student (who seemed more or less in awe of me) and one with a faculty member, a professor of peds. She was extremely complimentary about my background and said that medicine would be lucky to have me [I had already mentioned that I was accepted at another school], but expressed one concern that worried me a bit. She said, "I think the other students will accept you 100%, but I'm a little worried about how the faculty will react. Because you're so mature and have so much life experience, as soon as you learn a bit of medical stuff you'll be smarter than most of the attendings who'll be supervising you, and they might be intimidated by you. How do you think you'll deal with that?" I tried my best to set her mind at ease about this, but I'm not sure if I convinced her. After the interviews, I sent thank-yous to the prof and the dean of admissions, stating clearly that Temple was my #1 choice and that I was 100% committed to attending the school if admitted.

I think what she really meant by that is how you would feel about having people who are much younger than you supervising and bossing you around when you're doing your rotations and residencies. There was an article in Business Week a couple of months ago about how common it was now to have people in their late 20s and 30s supervising people in their 40s and 50s. I remember that a recruiter posed that same exact question to new hires.

I think what your faculty interviewer is concerned about is how well you'll follow instructions and take orders from the younger residents and attendings. If you start residency in your 50s, not many people are going to come up to you and ask "Everything OK? Do you know how to perform this procedure" for the simple reason that they'll assume that you already know how to do it. Also, if you've lived your life being a leader and telling others what to do in the business world, you might resent being ordered around or put down by an attending 20 years your junior. It's a legitimate question and I think I know exactly what your interviewer is getting at.

I think what your faculty interviewer is concerned about is how well you'll follow instructions and take orders from the younger residents and attendings.

Actually, she didn't mean that. I answered the question that way, but she said that's not what she meant. She reiterated that she was talking about the faculty's attitude toward ME. She figured that due to my age and previous experience, I would have much better people skills and ability to communicate with patients than most attendings, who are generally about 15 years younger than me. She thought there was a danger that many of them would resent me for it.

I protested that I certainly wouldn't be their equal in medical skills, because I didn't have their training and experience, but she believed that the people skills are the most important part of medicine, as well as the hardest to learn. I tried to stress that I would be very humble and aware of how much I don't know, as well as very grateful to be in med school at all, and thus wouldn't project an attitude that anyone should find threatening. But I'm not sure that she thought that would solve the problem. (To be honest, I'm not sure that anyone could really solve the problem as she defined it. If my problem is essentially the fact that I've been alive too long, there isn't a lot I can do to change that.)

Just got a rejection letter from PCOM. Interesting considering I withdrew my application from both their campuses in October.

The letter finally arrived: I was rejected from Temple. This one really, really, really hurt.

I have to admit I'm feeling some anger as well. I had never felt before that age played a significant role in any of my admissions decisions, but in this case I'm convinced it did. That bothers me a lot.

The letter finally arrived: I was rejected from Temple. This one really, really, really hurt.

I have to admit I'm feeling some anger as well. I had never felt before that age played a significant role in any of my admissions decisions, but in this case I'm convinced it did. That bothers me a lot.

How did you get the interview? I mean if you didn't send them anything and they granted it out of the blues, then there must have been some redeeming feature in your application that really impressed them - therefore it might not really be the age factor.

Also, if you felt that age really played a factor, or if you felt that the interviewer already had a preconceived bias against you because of age, you can write a letter to the school explaining them your side of the story and appealing them to grant you an acceptance. Given the fact that they've already rejected you, there's nothing to lose (they've already rejected you, what else can they do?)

An appeal letter like that might actually reflect positively on your character because it shows drive and initiative. Also, no school likes to be perceived as nonfriendly to non-trad, so it could get the attention of the dean or whoever and you might be placed on the waiting list or be given a fighting chance.

:( I am SO sorry to hear this news - how heartbreaking. From what it sounds like above, I fully agree that you had no chance of answering your interviewer's question in a way that would have satisfied her. Sounds like she had already made up her mind, and that is shameful and unfair. I would be angry too. I'm not entirely sure an appeal would pan out, but I might be inclined to do it if I were you, just on principle. Of course, if it went through, you'd have to decide if you actually wanted to go there after such an experience or not. :rolleyes:

In any case, I feel for you and will shift my cheering to Vermont. :luck:

:( I am SO sorry to hear this news - how heartbreaking. From what it sounds like above, I fully agree that you had no chance of answering your interviewer's question in a way that would have satisfied her. Sounds like she had already made up her mind, and that is shameful and unfair. I would be angry too. I'm not entirely sure an appeal would pan out, but I might be inclined to do it if I were you, just on principle. Of course, if it went through, you'd have to decide if you actually wanted to go there after such an experience or not. :rolleyes:

In any case, I feel for you and will shift my cheering to Vermont. :luck:

Thanks, as always, for your words of support. You're right: I really am heartbroken over this, although I'm trying my best to buck up. But it's really tough to feel positive after 2 rejections in a row, from the schools I most wanted, not to mention having the 4 interviews before that end in waitlists. It seems like every time I have a chance to get the potential distance between me and my family down to a livable number, my hopes get dashed.

After mulling it over, I have decided to appeal the decision. I called Temple this afternoon and explained myself to the secretary, who took my number and said she'd pass on my message to the director of admissions. We'll see whether anything comes of it; I think my chances are pretty slim, but at least I'll have tried.

Thanks, as always, for your words of support. You're right: I really am heartbroken over this, although I'm trying my best to buck up. But it's really tough to feel positive after 2 rejections in a row, from the schools I most wanted, not to mention having the 4 interviews before that end in waitlists. It seems like every time I have a chance to get the potential distance between me and my family down to a livable number, my hopes get dashed.

After mulling it over, I have decided to appeal the decision. I called Temple this afternoon and explained myself to the secretary, who took my number and said she'd pass on my message to the director of admissions. We'll see whether anything comes of it; I think my chances are pretty slim, but at least I'll have tried.

Student, I too interviewed at Temple and felt their process was a bit questionable. I was invited to interview there and booked the 400 mile trip (gas, hotel, expenses exceeding $300). I had a similar experience with the student I interviewed with. He seemed a bit socially awkward and not fitting well with his M1 class, and I found myself reassuring him that he indeed was worthy, etc... (an odd convo for sure, but definitely a positive one). Then I met with the same woman you did it seems, and it wasn't even an interview. Before I could even start to wow her, the first words out of her mouth were, "So you realize that your MCAT is way too low to be accepted here." So I think to myself, "wow, surprising considering you invited me all the way here to spend my money and interview!" And before I knew it - my "interview" turned into a very expensive advising session. :thumbdown:

Student, I too interviewed at Temple and felt their process was a bit questionable. I was invited to interview there and booked the 400 mile trip (gas, hotel, expenses exceeding $300). I had a similar experience with the student I interviewed with. He seemed a bit socially awkward and not fitting well with his M1 class, and I found myself reassuring him that he indeed was worthy, etc... (an odd convo for sure, but definitely a positive one). Then I met with the same woman you did it seems, and it wasn't even an interview. Before I could even start to wow her, the first words out of her mouth were, "So you realize that your MCAT is way too low to be accepted here." So I think to myself, "wow, surprising considering you invited me all the way here to spend my money and interview!" And before I knew it - my "interview" turned into a very expensive advising session. :thumbdown:

Perhaps you should PM student1799 about it. If it really is a systemic thing where the interviewer is already biased against you from the onset, having two people or more people complaining about it to the dean is better than having the lone interviewee call the admissions office and complaining about it.

Speaking of which, when did you interview and how did the interview turn out? Did they waitlist you at the end or reject you outright?

Perhaps you should PM student1799 about it. If it really is a systemic thing where the interviewer is already biased against you from the onset, having two people or more people complaining about it to the dean is better than having the lone interviewee call the admissions office and complaining about it.

Speaking of which, when did you interview and how did the interview turn out? Did they waitlist you at the end or reject you outright?

Still waiting.. definitely not at acceptance. Like Student, my online status says that correspondence was mailed.

I think you bring up a good point about PMing Student and pursuing this together. Will do that.

Still waiting.. definitely not at acceptance. Like Student, my online status says that correspondence was mailed.

I think you bring up a good point about PMing Student and pursuing this together. Will do that.

I was sorry to learn that you, too, had a negative interview experience at Temple. The only good thing about hearing your news was knowing that someone else understands what it's like to go through this.

After waiting in vain for 3 days for someone at Temple to respond to my detailed phone message about this matter, I sat down and wrote them a letter today. I gave a detailed account of the whole interview, expressed my concern that the faculty member was not objective toward me because of my age, and requested a reinterview with someone else and a reconsideration of the decision (of course). With everything in writing, I think it will be a lot harder for them to blow me off without doing anything to address my concerns. I still don't think my chances of success are great, but at least I'll make them sweat a bit.

Sorry to brag when you guys are having a hard time, but I just found out I got into the main campus of Miami.

OMG.

Best of luck to you two!