2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't been on the non-trad threads in forever....

I got in to my first choice October 16th. I'm :soexcited: to finally be going to med school after a disappointing first application cycle.

It's proof that even the non-trads can do it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted at Vermont. @#$%^&*! I knew all along it was the most likely outcome (they waitlisted the mighty breeak, after all), but I was hoping against hope, because I loved the place so much. Hopefully I'll be able to update them with a nice MCAT score come March ... :xf:

Meanwhile, I got another interview today: SUNY Buffalo. In all honesty, this school isn't anywhere near the top of my list, but who am I to turn down an interview at this stage?

GW is on Thursday. Since they take so long to reach a decision (8 weeks minimum), they'll have my new MCAT in hand when they review my file. So if I do well at the interview, I might actually have a shot at getting admitted rather than waitlisted. (Maybe.)

Waitlisted at Vermont. @#$%^&*! I knew all along it was the most likely outcome (they waitlisted the mighty breeak, after all), but I was hoping against hope, because I loved the place so much. Hopefully I'll be able to update them with a nice MCAT score come March ... :xf:

Drat. I'd keep the hope alive for this one, though. The word on the street last year was that pretty much everyone from out of state was waitlisted, but a good percentage of their matriculants come off the waitlist. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :xf:

Meanwhile, I got another interview today: SUNY Buffalo. In all honesty, this school isn't anywhere near the top of my list, but who am I to turn down an interview at this stage?

Sweet! More interviews = more chances you'll be a med student next year. :thumbup: And hey, in-state tuition wouldn't be the worst thing ever (and Buffalo would still be closer to your fam than other places). I'd say it's something to get excited about! :D (although this process is wearing me out; I can't imagine your position in traveling to all of those interviews and playing the waiting game with 6 different schools . . . along with crossing fingers for invites from your NYC-area schools. It's a lot! :scared:)

Also, you now have triple the number of interviews I do! There's only one smiley for that: :bow:

GW is on Thursday. Since they take so long to reach a decision (8 weeks minimum), they'll have my new MCAT in hand when they review my file. So if I do well at the interview, I might actually have a shot at getting admitted rather than waitlisted. (Maybe.)

Thursday, as in tomorrow?? Good luck!! :luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, my husband just reminded me that I'm going to have to update AMCAS and all my schools with my new address. D'OH!!!!!! I knew there was another reason I REALLY didn't want to move right now. :mad:

On the bright side, I guess that's one more time that they all get to hear from me! (I'll have to reiterate my love for each school again at the same time.) Maybe being a squeaky wheel will get me some grease! ;)

No kidding!

Haven't had a chance to check up in a while, but congrats Nanon! It was a hard battle fought but you got in this year... I also heard you have kid on the way (how about that! I think nontradfogie is also having a kid). Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted.

Sorry about the waitlist. I know this must be dissappointing but with 6 interviews, I think you're in good shape and you might hear back in June or May (especially if you've improved your MCAT score). I hope everything works out, please let us know how your GW and SUNY interview goes. Good luck with GW tomorrow!

Yay Nanon! You rock!

Student1799 - Hang in there. I think it's great you got an interview in NY state even if it is in Buffalo. Every little bit closer to the family surely will be an asset.

I really appreciate all the words of support and encouragement from everyone, but I do need to set you guys straight on the geography:

Buffalo would still be closer to your fam than other places

Every little bit closer to the family surely will be an asset.

Buffalo is actually quite far away from NYC: 385 miles. That's the second-furthest of all the cities where I've gotten interviews. So far they've been at Syracuse (250), Vermont (300), Norfolk (350), North Chicago (clearly the outlier at 800), and DC (210). So DC is the winner on raw distance, although Vermont is the actually the shortest drive because it's only 180 mi. from our country house.

After I posted that, I started to wonder, since NY is such a big state, if perhaps your out-of-state schools were closer by.

Hmm, well how's about, at least cost of living in Buffalo would be dirt cheap! :)

If CultureDoc and Student1799 don't get in this year I may have to go on a hunger strike.

No kidding!

:laugh: You guys crack me up! Fogie, I wouldn't do it: you're looking pretty gaunt in that picture! And Nanon - pregnancy + hunger strike = bad idea. Soooo, I guess we're just gonna have to get in! :idea::cool: Of course, I have no doubts about student . . . but only having two schools to bank on is seeming a little scary to me right now. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a couple more interviews. :xf:

Buffalo is actually quite far away from NYC: 385 miles. That's the second-furthest of all the cities where I've gotten interviews. So far they've been at Syracuse (250), Vermont (300), Norfolk (350), North Chicago (clearly the outlier at 800), and DC (210). So DC is the winner on raw distance, although Vermont is the actually the shortest drive because it's only 180 mi. from our country house.

Wow, I guess my midwest mentality really obviates itself sometimes. :oops: I would have put money down on Norfolk and Vermont being further away! And I seriously had to google map NYC to DC because I thought, surely, 210 had to be wrong. THIS is exactly why I've wanted to move to the east coast! Stuff is actually close to other stuff. :idea: Case in point: St. Louisans (including yours truly) think Chicago is pretty darn close by - a daytrip, if you will . . . well, it's 300 miles away. :rolleyes: Stupid midwest! Ok, mind blown for tonight! Back to packing!

Nanon congratulations!! You definitely deserve it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
And wow way to go, student, with another interview invite. I have a really good feeling that this is going to be your year. You'll be flying off those waitlists come spring.

More news on my end: interview invite from UCLA!! No word yet from UCI but I should be hearing back soon and am staying hopeful. :)

More news on my end: interview invite from UCLA!! No word yet from UCI but I should be hearing back soon and am staying hopeful. :)

Wow! Congrats on the CA love, and good luck with UCI.

Hey all! I just discovered this message board...it is so great to hear stories of people out there who are doing the same thing I am! Still waiting to hear from my first choice, University of Cincinnati. I had an interview last week and the wait is killing me! Good luck to everyone else out there. This is my first year applying, so it's nice to know that there are lots of people who didn't get in their first year, but did the second time around.

Good luck and congrats!

Hey everyone, glad to see a forum with people I can identify with.

I'm finishing up a 4 year enlistment in the service this Fall, and attempting to transfer directly into UTSA as a pre-biology major, then off to Dental school.

Any other Texans looking to use their Post 9-11 gi bill and hazelwood exemption? It helps us avoid a boatload of debt

Do pm/email me if any others have applied to UTSA

Gaaaaahhh, waitlisted at UC Irvine!! :(

*hops on the waitlist train*

Guess I'm going to be playing the waiting game a bit longer! :p Oh well, Albany interview next week followed by Rosalind Franklin. We'll see how that goes.

Gaaaaahhh, waitlisted at UC Irvine!! :(

*hops on the waitlist train*

Guess I'm going to be playing the waiting game a bit longer! :p Oh well, Albany interview next week followed by Rosalind Franklin. We'll see how that goes.

Welcome to my world--hopefully we can both escape from it before long. Good luck at the interviews!

Fogie and Nanon, I guess you can call off the hunger strike, because I GOT IN at Rosalind Franklin!! Just got the email a few minutes ago; I almost had a heart attack at first, because the headline said "Status Notification" (not usually a good sign).

This is not my first-choice school (I'd say it's probably third at this point), but hey, it's a start. I'm really going to be a doctor! (It doesn't seem quite real yet ...)

Fogie and Nanon, I guess you can call off the hunger strike, because I GOT IN at Rosalind Franklin!! Just got the email a few minutes ago; I almost had a heart attack at first, because the headline said "Status Notification" (not usually a good sign).

This is not my first-choice school (I'd say it's probably third at this point), but hey, it's a start. I'm really going to be a doctor! (It doesn't seem quite real yet ...)

Woohoo!!! Party at student1799's house!:soexcited::soexcited:That is so awesome!

Good, 'cause I was starting to get a headache. Wait here while I break open a pack of celebratory Skittles...

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: !!!!

About damned time, I say! Woooohoooo!!!

Seriously, if I was in NYC, I'd go and buy student and everyone a drink, especially given the ****storm that is the MCAT.

I got into RFU as well student!!! woo hoo. CMS vs. UI @ Rockford is difficult. Have to see how the rest of my decisions play out.

I got an interview at the other school I applied to as well!!!!

*cloud 9*

So I interview Feb 28 and March 14. Decisions are May 15. I can't believe it is so close to the end. :)

*cloud 9*

So I interview Feb 28 and March 14. Decisions are May 15. I can't believe it is so close to the end. :)

Wow, you're cleaning up! Congratulations on the interviews, and good luck.:luck:

Fogie and Nanon, I guess you can call off the hunger strike, because I GOT IN at Rosalind Franklin!!

I got into RFU as well student!!! woo hoo. CMS vs. UI @ Rockford is difficult. Have to see how the rest of my decisions play out.

Wow - I've missed a lot in the past couple of days! Congrats everyone!!! :clap::highfive:

Student, it must feel great to have the "I just wanna get in!" pressure off. You're definitely going to med school next year - how cool!! :cool: (Now it's just a question of where - we've all got our fingers crossed that it's nearer to your family! :xf:)

In my corner, an M1 posted on the Mizzou thread that they are not interviewing as late this year . . . which means they'll likely make their waitlist (and we'll hear back) sooner than I expected. :scared: I was getting really used to the idea of not hearing anything from anywhere for a while . . . now I'm all nervous again!

In my corner, an M1 posted on the Mizzou thread that they are not interviewing as late this year . . . which means they'll likely make their waitlist (and we'll hear back) sooner than I expected. :scared: I was getting really used to the idea of not hearing anything from anywhere for a while . . . now I'm all nervous again!

Yes, it's kind of alarming when you're settled in for a long wait and then find out it might not be that long ... Here's hoping it turns out well. :luck::luck::luck:

Right now I'm kind of on tenterhooks, waiting to find out how the MCAT went. (The score should be out in 11 days, 10 if they're early.) I'm pretty sure Sinai is a lost cause by now, but I might be able to get somewhere with NYMC or Albany with a better MCAT.

It's kind of strange: since Rosalind Franklin is so far away, the acceptance almost feels like it "doesn't count." (Of course it does, but in my gut I really, really want to get in somewhere closer to home.) So, while I've felt a little bit of relief about getting in somewhere, there really hasn't been any wild elation.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your MCAT score.

Holy moly - we fell off the first page! Where is everyone??

Anyway, I have an update (finally!): I am on Mizzou's alternate list; middle third but "right at the top" of that group, so this is good news (I think! :xf:) They accept 96 outright, and put 96 on the alternate list . . . and last year, they accepted through #62 on the alternate list. Sooo, I'm very hopeful! Of course, I'm a little nervous, wondering whether the economic downturn will have people thinking long and hard about going to their state school over a private or OOS school, but I'm gonna stay positive. Those fresh-outta-undergrad kiddos won't be thinking about such things, right?! :rolleyes::xf: Anyway, that's my story at the moment. Hope everyone else is faring well.

Student - have those MCAT scores come out yet? Guess I could check around, but I'm too lazy/time crunched for that right now. Anyway, GOOD LUCK! :luck:

I guess all that studying paid off: my PS score went from 7 to 12!! I was right about verbal and bio: they went down. (Not surprising, considering that I utterly neglected them in favor of physics.) But I don't care, because I proved I'm not a ****** in PS!!

Test #1 30S: 7 PS 12 VR 11 BS
Test #2 31S: 7 PS 13 VR 11 BS
Test #3: 33R: 12 PS 11 VR 10 BS

That ought to help me get off some WLs. And pray that it can get me some NY love, especially an interview at Mount Sinai ... :xf::xf:

P.S. Culture Doc, just saw your post. Congrats on the good WL position at Mizzou--sounds like you have a fighting chance!! Good luck. :luck:

I guess all that studying paid off: my PS score went from 7 to 12!! I was right about verbal and bio: they went down. (Not surprising, considering that I utterly neglected them in favor of physics.) But I don't care, because I proved I'm not a ****** in PS!!

That ought to help me get off some WLs. And pray that it can get me some NY love, especially an interview at Mount Sinai ... :xf::xf:

P.S. Culture Doc, just saw your post. Congrats on the good WL position at Mizzou--sounds like you have a fighting chance!! Good luck. :luck:

Sweeeet!!!! Congrats, my friend! You fully owned it. I'm really proud of you, and I'm positive it will get you off of many waitlists. :D

Awesome!!

Congrats Nanon &
Congrats Student1799! Thanks for all that help!

I posted in the other thread, but student, I am SO happy for you! Rooting for some waitlist love. :)

I guess all that studying paid off: my PS score went from 7 to 12!!

Holy cow! From your lowest score to your highest (this round) - WOW! That is quite the leap in PS, and I am awed! :bow: And now, your combined score is a whopping 36 - that's HUGE! I know GW supposedly looks at the highest score you've received in each section, so that oughta knock their socks off! :thumbup: (and hopefully cause those remaining NYC-area schools to press "send" on an invite for you! :xf:)

Thanks for the congrats - I am excited about the WL position . . . cautiously so, but I really, really hope (and have some sense of faith/ karma/whatever!) that it will turn into a win. :xf:

Hey everybody. :love: I've caught up with most of you, but to anyone I missed with news, let me know, I'd love to hear it!

Anyone else have several schools they expect to hear from this month? I got in to UMass yesterday - it was a COMPLETE surprise, so that totally made my week! I love UMass, so if none of the other schools I'm waiting on pan out, that's fine.

Now I'm obsessing about finaid. Anyone else going through the process to establish independent status?

Oh my God oh my God oh my God!!

I GOT AN INTERVIEW AT MOUNT SINAI!!

It's on Thursday morning (yes, 2 days from now)--just heard the message on my answering machine.

I was actually feeling really discouraged about the NY schools, because I hadn't been able to get a single one of them to look at my new MCAT score. I'd called Mount Sinai and tried to speak to a human in the admissions office, but the receptionist refused to put me through.

As a last-ditch, desperate measure, I emailed a personal appeal to the dean of admissions over the weekend. The odds were that it would get tossed in the trash with everything else I've sent them over the past 6 months, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't give it one last try.

And now, to my amazement, it seems to have worked. Somebody pinch me.

Please, fellow nontrads, pray/meditate/wish/hope with all your might that I don't screw this up. This is the most important interview of my entire life.

Holy crap, student!! CONGRATS!!!! That is FANTASTIC news, and I really, really hope it works out for you. :clap::banana::xf:
Good luck!!! :luck: Don't worry - you'll do wonderfully. It's up to them to recognize what an asset you would be to their class. (and they'd be insane not to!)

That is AMAZING news! You will rock the interview, I know it. :)

Work it out, student! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! :D :D

Please, fellow nontrads, pray/meditate/wish/hope with all your might that I don't screw this up. This is the most important interview of my entire life.

Dude, that is way beyond awesome. My friend did his fellowship at Sinai and he absolutely loved every single aspect of life at the university and the city. I will pray extra hard because this would be an incredible experience for anyone and for you to have an opportunity to realize it is phenominal. Good work!

AND... to pat myself a little bit on the back, I received my second interview invite. OHSU baby! Home town love, shinin' through even though I'm an OOS Washington resident. Apparently, there is little love for the Washingtonians from OHSU, unless you're super stellar -- which I'm not. But I'll take a win anyway I can get it, even if it means slipping through the cracks of their 'you're a loser filter'.

AND... to pat myself a little bit on the back, I received my second interview invite. OHSU baby! Home town love, shinin' through even though I'm an OOS Washington resident. Apparently, there is little love for the Washingtonians from OHSU, unless you're super stellar -- which I'm not. But I'll take a win anyway I can get it, even if it means slipping through the cracks of their 'you're a loser filter'.

A win is a win, no matter how you get it. I should know ...

Congratulations on that second interview!:hardy::hardy:

It's on Thursday morning (yes, 2 days from now)--just heard the message on my answering machine.

I was actually feeling really discouraged about the NY schools, because I hadn't been able to get a single one of them to look at my new MCAT score. I'd called Mount Sinai and tried to speak to a human in the admissions office, but the receptionist refused to put me through.

As a last-ditch, desperate measure, I emailed a personal appeal to the dean of admissions over the weekend. The odds were that it would get tossed in the trash with everything else I've sent them over the past 6 months, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't give it one last try.

And now, to my amazement, it seems to have worked. Somebody pinch me.

YYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf: