200k in debt club

Started by ngkats
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'm at work and officially bored. At least tomorrow's friday--that's exciting.

So we need to liven things up around here. Anybody been watching house. I watch them on hulu at work (seriously, the lab is extremely dull) and now am addicted.

That and I found the first few episodes of the late eighties TMNT on youtube. Good god I love the internet.
 
Well I'm at work and officially bored. At least tomorrow's friday--that's exciting.

So we need to liven things up around here. Anybody been watching house. I watch them on hulu at work (seriously, the lab is extremely dull) and now am addicted.

That and I found the first few episodes of the late eighties TMNT on youtube. Good god I love the internet.
What are your opinions on the episode where House was on methadone?


Also lunch which of the following Kung Pao Beef, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Pork Hunan Style, Kung Pao Two Kinds, or Triple Delight.

Note: I plan to get Won Ton soup and an egg roll as appetizers.
 
What are your opinions on the episode where House was on methadone?


Also lunch which of the following Kung Pao Beef, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Pork Hunan Style, Kung Pao Two Kinds, or Triple Delight.

Note: I plan to get Won Ton soup and an egg roll as appetizers.

Where's my shrimp/pork fried rice?🙁
 
What are your opinions on the episode where House was on methadone?


Also lunch which of the following Kung Pao Beef, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Pork Hunan Style, Kung Pao Two Kinds, or Triple Delight.

Note: I plan to get Won Ton soup and an egg roll as appetizers.

I was thinking triple delight.

Second, I like the methadone episode. House was happy and I thought maybe him and cuddy would finally get it on.

But I did think it was a little unrealistic for his one medical slip (allowing the MRI to take place) to be evidence enough for him to stop the methadone and become mr. a-hole again. Whatever--love that show. I really liked the one before it (with the hallucinating priest...)
 
Last edited:
Except two things bother me about the show:

1) the residents/fellows do everything. They do surgery, lab work, ALL procedures, etc. That is kind of stupid but probably necessary on the writers part. Not too exciting if House were to be constantly referring patients to specialists.

2) almost every episode House or a fellow breaks into the patient's home to search for 'clues' of his/her condition. This is kind of weird (but something I plan on incorporating in my future practice).
 
Except two things bother me about the show:

1) the residents/fellows do everything. They do surgery, lab work, ALL procedures, etc. That is kind of stupid but probably necessary on the writers part. Not too exciting if House were to be constantly referring patients to specialists.

2) almost every episode House or a fellow breaks into the patient's home to search for 'clues' of his/her condition. This is kind of weird (but something I plan on incorporating in my future practice).

I have actually already started walking with a cane, so as to gain credibility and sympathy with people while I psychoanalyze everything anyone does. I find it amusing that 33% of the main characters are Jewish(when Jews make up about 2% of Americans).

I went with the Kung Pao Beef
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have actually already started walking with a cane, so as to gain credibility and sympathy with people while I psychoanalyze everything anyone does. I find it amusing that 33% of the main characters are Jewish(when Jews make up about 2% of Americans).

I went with the Kung Pao Beef

Excellent choice.
 
Except two things bother me about the show:

1) the residents/fellows do everything. They do surgery, lab work, ALL procedures, etc. That is kind of stupid but probably necessary on the writers part. Not too exciting if House were to be constantly referring patients to specialists.

2) almost every episode House or a fellow breaks into the patient's home to search for 'clues' of his/her condition. This is kind of weird (but something I plan on incorporating in my future practice).

Yeah they kind of need to, otherwise it would be boring. Plus the general public may not realize how absurd it really is.
 
Club members. Here's an on topic question.

Do we have any ideas of interest rates? I think the stafford loans are at 6.8%, no? (which is depressingly larger than my friend who had stafford at a frozen 2%).

And grad plus loan interest? I'm sure it's significantly higher.
 
Club members. Here's an on topic question.

Do we have any ideas of interest rates? I think the stafford loans are at 6.8%, no? (which is depressingly larger than my friend who had stafford at a frozen 2%).

And grad plus loan interest? I'm sure it's significantly higher.
8.5 fixed

Also what should I get for lunch 3/6/09 edition:
NY style pizza(Mushrooms, Onions, Extra Cheese, Green Peppers, Pepperoni, and Sausage)
Cheese steak
Steak and Cheese Calzone
Burger and Fries
 
8.5 fixed

Also what should I get for lunch 3/6/09 edition:
NY style pizza(Mushrooms, Onions, Extra Cheese, Green Peppers, Pepperoni, and Sausage)
Cheese steak
Steak and Cheese Calzone
Burger and Fries

Oh man. I haven't had a calzone or cheese steak in a while, so I might be a little biased. Instead I will confuse you by picking the pizza, because that sounds fantastic if you've got the cash.👍

It's frozen dinners and strawberries for me. :laugh:
 
8.5 fixed

Also what should I get for lunch 3/6/09 edition:
NY style pizza(Mushrooms, Onions, Extra Cheese, Green Peppers, Pepperoni, and Sausage)
Cheese steak
Steak and Cheese Calzone
Burger and Fries

NY style pizza.

Secondly, does anybody else find the 8.5% fixed interest rate rather disturbing?

I had a long talk with my cousin who graduated from law school with six figure debt. She was consoling me about paying off loans and that's its possible to do while still living a normal/fun life.

She then preceded to tell me that her interest rates were frozen at 2%.

I told her about the 6.8 and the higher grad plus and--I'm paraphrasing--she was like: Oh, wow. Um, It'll be ok.

And that's why i'm a member of the emo 200k in debt club.

I'm anxious again.
 
I have get a frunch lunch if i go to this oncology conference in about five mins (I worked in an oncology hospital). And since i'm a member of this club, I do anything for a free lunch.

The title of the talk is: "Who Wants to be a Millionaire--Oncology Pearls"

WTF is that supposed to mean?

I better get a free pen out of this thing.
 
I have get a frunch lunch if i go to this oncology conference in about five mins (I worked in an oncology hospital). And since i'm a member of this club, I do anything for a free lunch.

The title of the talk is: "Who Wants to be a Millionaire--Oncology Pearls"

WTF is that supposed to mean?

I better get a free pen out of this thing.

I just spent the last two days at a conference..two days of breakfast, lunch, and dinner...all for free...I even got a ride to the place...I didn't spent a cent...it was awesome.
 
NY style pizza.

Secondly, does anybody else find the 8.5% fixed interest rate rather disturbing?

I had a long talk with my cousin who graduated from law school with six figure debt. She was consoling me about paying off loans and that's its possible to do while still living a normal/fun life.

She then preceded to tell me that her interest rates were frozen at 2%.

I told her about the 6.8 and the higher grad plus and--I'm paraphrasing--she was like: Oh, wow. Um, It'll be ok.

And that's why i'm a member of the emo 200k in debt club
.

I'm anxious again.

The good thing is that at least you will be in debt to the federal government. They have some silly programs for people who make a small income, plus being in debt to the government just sounds better to me than being in debt to a private bank. Plus you can consolidate your debt to the government.
 
Oh man. I haven't had a calzone or cheese steak in a while, so I might be a little biased. Instead I will confuse you by picking the pizza, because that sounds fantastic if you've got the cash.👍

It's frozen dinners and strawberries for me. :laugh:

I bought some clementines at the store the other day...It is now finally in the 60sº around here! So I sat outside and worked on some lab reorts eating them. My spirit was soooo lifted today!
 
The prodigal son returns.

Yeah, I've been trying to cram all my work into this week cause I have all my midterms next week, then it is Spring Break! And I want some free time, but hell I know I will pull out the Kaplan book every now and then. There's no way around it! :laugh:

Also I'd like to add I got a check from T-Mobile. It was my deposit I put on my phone....$250! w00t!
 
Speaking of all those food posts I just read...I don't know eat, and I am way overdue..by about 6 hours and that was just the clementines. Eh, I have plenty of glycogen! :laugh::laugh:
 
I bought some clementines at the store the other day...It is now finally in the 60sº around here! So I sat outside and worked on some lab reorts eating them. My spirit was soooo lifted today!

It's in the 60s here too! Rather fantastic, if I do say so myself.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The average MD who graduated in 2007 came out w/ 140K in the hole, according to the AMA. That translates to 2K per month payment plan after u start practice. There are lots of kids that probably get help from pops (not that I do), plus lots of scholarships, esp if u go to a well funded school (strike two for me).
 
If I created a thread for those of us who will have hefty outside (parental, trust fund, grandparent) contribution, would I be harped upon big time? Funny double-standard we have.
 
If I created a thread for those of us who will have hefty outside (parental, trust fund, grandparent) contribution, would I be harped upon big time? Funny double-standard we have.

I think the difference is that this thread is a joke. If your hypothetical thread is also a joke, then there is no double standard.👎

Sorry. I'm kind of insane about hyphens.:laugh:
 
so... where's the club for people who will have to give away their first borns to pay their massive debt? I can't find it? I think 200k is a conservative estimate of my potential debt...
 
so... where's the club for people who will have to give away their first borns to pay their massive debt? I can't find it? I think 200k is a conservative estimate of my potential debt...

Is it a conservative estimate of the value of your firstborn? What about your secondborn?:laugh:
 
I'm an MS4 about to start residency and I'll be graduating with 207K in debt. I'm gonna pay what I can during residency (while also maxing out my Roth IRA), but I wouldn't be surprised if my debt is 250K by the time I'm at attending.

I wanted to post here in the pre-allopathic thread to warn you all of what paying this off will be like.

$20,000 for 30 years. If I were to be a primary care doc or a psych doc making 150K, that would mean that after taxes and loan payments I'll only be taking home 100K. I'm not all about money, but it'd be tight to raise a family on that.

That means I can't retire for 30 years! I'll be 35 when I finish residency.

I could've gone to my state school, but opted to go to a private school. That was insanity!!

If anyone on here is choosing between a state vs private school think long and hard about it.
 
although yooouk was not an a-hole I am launching a preemptive strike and re-posting this.

****, our thread of complete awesomeness and badassitude is turning into people trying to educate us about the realities of going into debt and taking out loans. We don't care. Our posts in this thread do everything possible to communicate that we know that we will be massively in debt, know that we will not be making tons of money, and have accepted that and still wish to pursue a career in medicine.

Now back to arcade games, Jack Bauer, Chinese Food, Girl Scout cookies, and California wildfires.
 
I'm an MS4 about to start residency and I'll be graduating with 207K in debt. I'm gonna pay what I can during residency (while also maxing out my Roth IRA), but I wouldn't be surprised if my debt is 250K by the time I'm at attending.

I wanted to post here in the pre-allopathic thread to warn you all of what paying this off will be like.

$20,000 for 30 years. If I were to be a primary care doc or a psych doc making 150K, that would mean that after taxes and loan payments I'll only be taking home 100K. I'm not all about money, but it'd be tight to raise a family on that.

That means I can't retire for 30 years! I'll be 35 when I finish residency.

I could've gone to my state school, but opted to go to a private school. That was insanity!!

If anyone on here is choosing between a state vs private school think long and hard about it.



Wait you'll be 35. You retire in 30 years. You'll be 65. Isn't that when most people retire?

And if you'll be 35 when you finish residency, you're either not going into primary care or you started medical school late.
 
anybody see the watchmen? Since we're all strapped financially, if anybody did see it i'm assuming they sneaked into the theater or grabbed a bootleg copy off the streets of Beijing/Hong Kong.

Anybody?
 
anybody see the watchmen? Since we're all strapped financially, if anybody did see it i'm assuming they sneaked into the theater or grabbed a bootleg copy off the streets of Beijing/Hong Kong.

Anybody?

Somebody told me that it sucked.
 
I won a football game last night 112-0 with Penn St. vs UCLA. It was a very odd game. I had the nations top MLB and he returned 3 interceptions for touchdowns in two minutes. I had 70 points at halftime. I usually win games by the score of around 42-21 (I play at the highest level and I recruit for 12 different teams...so not all of the games are easy wins). I have a combined record of 145-33 with only two national titles.
 
I won a football game last night 112-0 with Penn St. vs UCLA. It was a very odd game. I had the nations top MLB and he returned 3 interceptions for touchdowns in two minutes. I had 70 points at halftime. I usually win games by the score of around 42-21 (I play at the highest level and I recruit for 12 different teams...so not all of the games are easy wins). I have a combined record of 145-33 with only two national titles.

this post is confusing and unorganized and seems to be pointless. then again, this is the 200k in debt club.

by the way, if you're talking about ea sports NCAA, that's what i'm actually playing as i type. it's hard to type and play at the same time, so i have to go.

nittany lions are weak and stupid.
 
It is interesting to discover that, after not having showered for 2 weeks to save money, I am now immune to my own smell.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
except in beer and naked women, of course.

Speaking of naked women, why are most of the hottest women you can come across found in California? In Wisconsin we have mostly fat and average looking ladies and when I visit California I see hot babes all over the place.