200k in debt club

Started by ngkats
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, its either being part of this awesome club or going to Umass and paying nothing (? how?...are you getting a scholarship?)...

...you know I love you guys...but I would pick paying nothing... :scared:

And if you are sympathetic towards our causes, we might even induct you as an honorary member

I think he's talking about undergrads, cause Northeastern doesn't have a med school.
 
Yeahh, that's the dilemma I'm in right now. I don't know whether to a private university like BU, Tufts, or Northeastern (who are awful with financial aid) or just got to Umass and pay basically nothing. Decisions...decisions....

I'm in a similar situation. Umass is not free for me but it's definitely a ton cheaper then the other options that I have.
I'm a bit in love with some of the privates that I have so it's not going to be an easy decision.

I guess I will have to decide in May if I will be joining this club!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends.

anybody find 200k over the weekend?

Well, I am now officially living off my stomach fat and my dread-locks are coming in nicely...

...counting food and not getting a haircut from my girlfriend has saved me...let's see....5 bucks in change for the food and...a couple back massages for my girlfriend.... although knowing her, she will get those anyways.

That leaves me with $199995. I am a money saving machine.
 
Hello friends.

anybody find 200k over the weekend?

I ate soup all weekend. By my math I saved 11 dollars this weekend. I also found 3 dollars in my pocket so at this point I am up 14 dollars. However I decided to go to the arcade and spent 4 dollars on Area 51, 7 dollars on pizza and soda, and 3 dollars on lottery tickets. Over all I would say it was worth it.
 
Well, its either being part of this awesome club or going to Umass and paying nothing (? how?...are you getting a scholarship?)...

...you know I love you guys...but I would pick paying nothing... :scared:

And if you are sympathetic towards our causes, we might even induct you as an honorary member

Hahah oh, I've very sympathetic. And by nothing I don't necessarily mean nothing, but with scholarships plus financial aid (hopefully) I'll be paying less than ten thousand bucks a year, which I could probably pay off myself without even taking out a loan. It's very temping, but Tufts would set me up great for med school whilst digging me a financial hole.....

Oh and yes I am talking about undergrad =)

I'm in a similar situation. Umass is not free for me but it's definitely a ton cheaper then the other options that I have.
I'm a bit in love with some of the privates that I have so it's not going to be an easy decision.

I guess I will have to decide in May if I will be joining this club!

Which Umass were you thinking? I was told to go Umass Amherst if anything, because despite the parties, they are the only Mass state school with an Honors College (Commonwealth College) within the school. And they apparently have the best pre-med opportunities compared to other state schools.
 
Well, I am now officially living off my stomach fat and my dread-locks are coming in nicely...

...counting food and not getting a haircut from my girlfriend has saved me...let's see....5 bucks in change for the food and...a couple back massages for my girlfriend.... although knowing her, she will get those anyways.

That leaves me with $199995. I am a money saving machine.

Way to be resourceful.

By the way, I found five bucks walking to the train to work the other day. It was a great feeling.

The next day I got a $50 parking ticket.
 
Way to be resourceful.

By the way, I found five bucks walking to the train to work the other day. It was a great feeling.

The next day I got a $50 parking ticket.

Technically though, it is now only a $45 dollar parking ticket. The glass always has to be half full my friend.
 
Technically though, it is now only a $45 dollar parking ticket. The glass always has to be half full my friend.

Good call sir. I would like to take this opportunity to nominate Gallix23 as the 200K in debt club morale officer.
 
I ate soup all weekend. By my math I saved 11 dollars this weekend. I also found 3 dollars in my pocket so at this point I am up 14 dollars. However I decided to go to the arcade and spent 4 dollars on Area 51, 7 dollars on pizza and soda, and 3 dollars on lottery tickets. Over all I would say it was worth it.

Thank you for reminding me of the area 51 arcade.

I always like the terminator 2 arcade game (with the mounted guns on the arcade). alas, I could never get past the first level.
 
Thank you for reminding me of the area 51 arcade.

I always like the terminator 2 arcade game (with the mounted guns on the arcade). alas, I could never get past the first level.

Some other games I am really hooked on: The firefighter game with the hose controller, the cop game where you drive a cop car around Tokyo and try to pull over bad guys, deer hunter, and Galaga.

Laser tag and bowling are also really fun.
 
Some other games I am really hooked on: The firefighter game with the hose controller, the cop game where you drive a cop car around Tokyo and try to pull over bad guys, deer hunter, and Galaga.

Laser tag and bowling are also really fun.

laser tag is da bomb. so are bumper boats.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good call sir. I would like to take this opportunity to nominate Gallix23 as the 200K in debt club morale officer.

I second this motion.

laser tag is da bomb. so are bumper boats.

My friends...these things cost money. From now on, laser tag will consist of two flashlights and adhere to the honor code. You and your friend run around the house/apt. and whoever gets the other in his flashlight beam first, wins. Its the honor system because you don't get nifty buzzer thingys.

Bumper boats are out of the question unless you have a pond in the backyard, you can steal your little sisters floatation device, and you can steal your dad's lawn mower engine.
 
Bumper boats are out of the question unless you have a pond in the backyard, you can steal your little sisters floatation device, and you can steal your dad's lawn mower engine.

This is pretty much what bumper boats consist of anyway, so this is actually good news.
 
This is pretty much what bumper boats consist of anyway, so this is actually good news.
:laugh::laugh:

I might have to get a job at a laser tag place so I can kill three birds with one stone. I will be making money, getting free laser tag games, and getting free arcade games.
 
:laugh::laugh:

I might have to get a job at a laser tag place so I can kill three birds with one stone. I will be making money, getting free laser tag games, and getting free arcade games.

I used to work at a laser tag place. Best job I ever had. I beat a ton of video games cuz of that job
 
Which Umass were you thinking? I was told to go Umass Amherst if anything, because despite the parties, they are the only Mass state school with an Honors College (Commonwealth College) within the school. And they apparently have the best pre-med opportunities compared to other state schools.

I was talking about the med school in Worcester. But if you go to a UMass for undergrad definitely go for Amherst.
 
I was talking about the med school in Worcester. But if you go to a UMass for undergrad definitely go for Amherst.

I've heard of Amherst before in my little Midwest state. So Amherst has a name ring to it.
 
I want to buy playstation 3, but to save money I'm going to dig up my old genesis.

Anybody every play the golden axe games?
imgres
 
I was talking about the med school in Worcester. But if you go to a UMass for undergrad definitely go for Amherst.

Ohh, I didn't know you were talking about Umass Medical. I hear that's a really good med school though, especially for the price.

Do school favor their undergraduate students though? Like if I went to Umass Amherst would I have a better chance of getting into Umass Medical, or like if I went to Tufts, Tufts Medical, etc?
 
My friends...these things cost money. From now on, laser tag will consist of two flashlights and adhere to the honor code. You and your friend run around the house/apt. and whoever gets the other in his flashlight beam first, wins. Its the honor system because you don't get nifty buzzer thingys.



Haha, at work we play this way. Although we also get our ambulances involved - we have spot lights that are used to find addresses in the dark. We go out and try to find eachother - anywhere within the city limits is game 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ohh, I didn't know you were talking about Umass Medical. I hear that's a really good med school though, especially for the price.

Do school favor their undergraduate students though? Like if I went to Umass Amherst would I have a better chance of getting into Umass Medical, or like if I went to Tufts, Tufts Medical, etc?
My state school definitely does not favor its undergrads from what I can tell.
 
The "200K Debt Club" thread is a perfect example - any attempt to inject "facts" into the discussion gets hounded off the thread. Perhaps it is just their version of gallows humor, but most of the people taking on these massive debt totals are in deep denial over the trends in declining compensation, rising taxes, and rising interest rates on student debt, and what all of it will mean to their income, lifestyle, ability to fund a retirement, and their ability to repay the debt 10+ years from now.

Seriously?😴
 
Wait, did that come from this thread?

btw, what an a-hole.

No, it came from this thread. I just thought it was more than a little unfair to call us all naive idiots without giving us the chance to respond. Poor guy can't take a joke thread, apparently.
 
No, it came from this thread. I just thought it was more than a little unfair to call us all naive idiots without giving us the chance to respond. Poor guy can't take a joke thread, apparently.

Yeah, I guess not. I just responded to him in that thread.

That kind of stuff really really bothers me. Nothing is more annoying than someone trying to mitigate his/her own fear/anxiety by spreading it to others.
 
Yeah, I guess not. I just responded to him in that thread.

That kind of stuff really really bothers me. Nothing is more annoying than someone trying to mitigate his/her own fear/anxiety by spreading it to others.

What I don't understand is that people assume that you can't be conscious of the debt, its repayment, and the decreasing salary of physicians, without \ freaking out about it on SDN.

As soon as you don't predict your own demise as a young doctor with a sizable amount of debt, you are labeled as 'naive'.
 
No, it came from this thread. I just thought it was more than a little unfair to call us all naive idiots without giving us the chance to respond. Poor guy can't take a joke thread, apparently.

Where did I call you or anybody a "naive idiot?"

And how did I deny you the chance to respond? This is an open forum...nobody denying you any chance to respond to anything.
 
What I don't understand is that people assume that you can't be conscious of the debt, its repayment, and the decreasing salary of physicians, without \ freaking out about it on SDN.

As soon as you don't predict your own demise as a young doctor with a sizable amount of debt, you are labeled as 'naive'.

Great post.

Also: I just dropped a sizeable amount of coin on pizza. How naive of me.
 
I totally agree. Educational debt is just something I accepted way back when I decided to do this. No one said it'd be easy or even particularly fun, just that it'd be worth it, and that's what I'm going with. I might be a miserable, impoverished crack addict at age 45, divorced and homeless and clinging desperately to my 300,000$ piece of paper, but I'll deal with it then (and somehow I doubt things are that dire). I don't want/need a Ferrari or a mansion (and I can always marry rich!) and there's no career I love more than medicine. The money issues suck, but whining and stressing won't change a damn thing, so I might as well laugh it up while I can. It doesn't mean I'm unaware of the issues- it means right now I just don't care enough to stress.

In other news, I bought girl scout cookies. Damn charity! I'm out 8 bucks! Why do those little girls have to be so damn adorable?!
 
I totally agree. Educational debt is just something I accepted way back when I decided to do this. No one said it'd be easy or even particularly fun, just that it'd be worth it, and that's what I'm going with. I might be a miserable, impoverished crack addict at age 45, divorced and homeless and clinging desperately to my 300,000$ piece of paper, but I'll deal with it then (and somehow I doubt things are that dire). I don't want/need a Ferrari or a mansion (and I can always marry rich!) and there's no career I love more than medicine. The money issues suck, but whining and stressing won't change a damn thing, so I might as well laugh it up while I can. It doesn't mean I'm unaware of the issues- it means right now I just don't care enough to stress.

In other news, I bought girl scout cookies. Damn charity! I'm out 8 bucks! Why do those little girls have to be so damn adorable?!

It's not the girls that are adorable, it's THE COOKIES. OMG COOOOOOOOOOOKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES.:laugh:

I haven't had lunch yet. Can you tell?:laugh:
 
It's not the girls that are adorable, it's THE COOKIES. OMG COOOOOOOOOOOKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES.:laugh:

I haven't had lunch yet. Can you tell?:laugh:


Yeah it's a disaster. I bought a box of the lemon ones (zomgsogooooooood) and the Samoa ones. I need to buy more lemon ones cause they lasted like 2 days 😳.
 
Where did I call you or anybody a "naive idiot?"

And how did I deny you the chance to respond? This is an open forum...nobody denying you any chance to respond to anything.

The "200K Debt Club" thread is a perfect example - any attempt to inject "facts" into the discussion gets hounded off the thread. Perhaps it is just their version of gallows humor, but most of the people taking on these massive debt totals are in deep denial over the trends in declining compensation, rising taxes, and rising interest rates on student debt, and what all of it will mean to their income, lifestyle, ability to fund a retirement, and their ability to repay the debt 10+ years from now.

That sounds a lot like "naive idiots" to me. Was it intended otherwise?

Silly you, talking smack about us behind our not-following-that-thread backs.:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[...]I don't want/need a Ferrari or a mansion (and I can always marry rich!) and there's no career I love more than medicine. The money issues suck, but whining and stressing won't change a damn thing, so I might as well laugh it up while I can. It doesn't mean I'm unaware of the issues- it means right now I just don't care enough to stress.

Exactly!! I asked my dad how he had managed to get through the tough times in life, how to handle the debt, the ****ty pay in the early days. He just chuckled and said that it doesn't matter how much you make when you are doing what you love. When your job is your passion it is alot easier to take all the crap that comes with it. Of course, there are those out there that are bitter about their job as a physician as well (not just aspects of it) and of course those will stare at you in disbelief when you tell them you want to do it AND take on 200k in loans.

But I have seen happy physicians. I have seen those that went into medicine for the right reasons, took on the loans (more than I ever will because they had a family before going to med school), and are now living a happy life. No one said it would be easy and its likely to get harder, but I do believe that it is doable, if you are realistic about what it will take.

For those who tell you that its not worth to go into medicine with that much debt, that much hard work, and so little prospective compensation (especially now that a black man is ruling our country who might actually believe that patriotism means more than solidarity in bombing other countries, but rather solidarity in supporting your fellow citizen when he needs a hand to get back up), I tell them they need a reality check. What career are they going to go into where they will make easy money, with light work loads, without having to sacrifice part of themselves?

There are no free rides, my friends. You go to grad school and get your minimum wage, but have no debt? Sure, but what about job security? Do you think that a PhD equals a job? I have friends in law school, in grad school, in business school, and ALL of them work their asses off for a few measly dollars at the end of the month. They all commit 24hrs a day and none of them get a free lunch out there. Fact is, no matter what higher field of education you enter you will live in poverty for a good portion of your life and you will have to work your butt off. If you can't handle that, then quit.


In other news, I bought girl scout cookies. Damn charity! I'm out 8 bucks! Why do those little girls have to be so damn adorable?!

Girl Scouts scare me..."DO YOU WANT TO BUY COOKIES?!?!" Me --> 😱 "Yes, now that I am bleeding out of my ears, I think I do"
 
Two whole hours is impressive for me.

On a related note: I love the tagalongs

On an unrelated not: Here are some satellite images.

20010813ca1kmres.jpg
satellitemap.jpg



Ches%20Bay%20medium.jpg

Hmmm, so CA is on fire, UMd is attractive, and we all love the bay... Amusingly, I can point out my birthplace, my last 3 residences, my alma mater, and my place of employment on that map. Guess who's excited to be heading west (a little)!
 
Exactly!! I asked my dad how he had managed to get through the tough times in life, how to handle the debt, the ****ty pay in the early days. He just chuckled and said that it doesn't matter how much you make when you are doing what you love. When your job is your passion it is alot easier to take all the crap that comes with it. Of course, there are those out there that are bitter about their job as a physician as well (not just aspects of it) and of course those will stare at you in disbelief when you tell them you want to do it AND take on 200k in loans.

But I have seen happy physicians. I have seen those that went into medicine for the right reasons, took on the loans (more than I ever will because they had a family before going to med school), and are now living a happy life. No one said it would be easy and its likely to get harder, but I do believe that it is doable, if you are realistic about what it will take.

For those who tell you that its not worth to go into medicine with that much debt, that much hard work, and so little prospective compensation (especially now that a black man is ruling our country who might actually believe that patriotism means more than solidarity in bombing other countries, but rather solidarity in supporting your fellow citizen when he needs a hand to get back up), I tell them they need a reality check. What career are they going to go into where they will make easy money, with light work loads, without having to sacrifice part of themselves?

There are no free rides, my friends. You go to grad school and get your minimum wage, but have no debt? Sure, but what about job security? Do you think that a PhD equals a job? I have friends in law school, in grad school, in business school, and ALL of them work their asses off for a few measly dollars at the end of the month. They all commit 24hrs a day and none of them get a free lunch out there. Fact is, no matter what higher field of education you enter you will live in poverty for a good portion of your life and you will have to work your butt off. If you can't handle that, then quit.




Girl Scouts scare me..."DO YOU WANT TO BUY COOKIES?!?!" Me --> 😱 "Yes, now that I am bleeding out of my ears, I think I do"

I'm sure a good percentage of people who bitch about this and that when it comes to debt have never paid a loan off and never worked a real job in their life. I've paid two car loans off when I was just working part-time. How did I survive on a part-time job? Easy! I just watched every single penny I had in the checking account. lol. It really is that simple. If you can't afford the coffee in the morning, don't get it. lol. I always see people taking out money at the ATM to get that one dollar drink on their way home after work. I always see people spending $6 at lunch five days a week. And yes, these people are nurses, doctors, PA, and other workers. Me, I always pack my lunch. I don't even spend $6 for long all week combined because I can't afford to spend more than that at lunch for a week. What do I eat for lunch? Simple. I buy sandwhich meat and bread and have a drink (I don't count the drinks for costs of lunch as I always have two drinks during the day (studies have shown that caffiene can kill skin cancer cells).

I can always tell if a person that is young has ever worked a real job before just by the way they speak. It only takes a few sentences out of these peoples mouths to tell the difference (when it comes to working as a doctor).