* * 2010 - 2011 * * Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most schools require a letter from at least 1 science professor or a committee letter, which requires science letters.

Members don't see this ad.

How would this look to a DO school?

5 letters of recommendation from doctors. 4 MDs, 1 DO. Three of the MDs are department heads. Also 1 letter from the pre-medical advisor at my school. No science teachers. No any kind of teachers. Help?

This is probably not good. You should call the schools to see if they are okay with it, but it is my guess that Isoprop is right, you MUST have a faculty letter of recommendation from one of your professors, typically they have to include a science letter.

Think of it this way, if you submit letters from people who have never instructed you then how does the school know what you are like as a student? Sure they have grades, but that doesn't speak to you as an individual during the learning process. I would recommend that you try to get a couple science letters of recommendation if possible.

Good luck.

This is probably not good. You should call the schools to see if they are okay with it, but it is my guess that Isoprop is right, you MUST have a faculty letter of recommendation from one of your professors, typically they have to include a science letter.

Think of it this way, if you submit letters from people who have never instructed you then how does the school know what you are like as a student? Sure they have grades, but that doesn't speak to you as an individual during the learning process. I would recommend that you try to get a couple science letters of recommendation if possible.

Good luck.

Well, my advisor also doubles as a lecturer and lab instructor, she just never taught me. When she was just learning to be a lab instructor, she'd shadow the professor in the lab where I was a TA. You're probably thinking why don't I just ask that professor I was TA'ing for? The problem is she's gone and I've graduated, so... complications. I've taken your advice to call the schools and they said one DO and one pre-med advisor or two faculty letters is what they want. So, I'm set? I mean, that's what I have plus three more physician letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Throughout college I had a part-time job at a local restaurant and got a letter of recommendation from my GM, for whom I have worked for over 6 years. Would this letter be frowned upon by admissions people and not be recommended because it is not coming from someone in a health-related field? Or could it be useful as far as a character/leadership/persistence/team player standpoint since she has known me for so long?

Thanks!
-D

Throughout college I had a part-time job at a local restaurant and got a letter of recommendation from my GM, for whom I have worked for over 6 years. Would this letter be frowned upon by admissions people and not be recommended because it is not coming from someone in a health-related field? Or could it be useful as far as a character/leadership/persistence/team player standpoint since she has known me for so long?

Thanks!
-D

A friend of mine served on the UPitt admissions committee for 4 years. His suggestions for letters were:

1. Don't overdo it with too many. 4 is perfect.

2. The strongest applicants have 2 science prof LORs, 1 from an MD, and 1 "ROCKSTAR" LOR. This letter can be from anyone who has known you for a long time, absolutely loves you, and will attest to your character and overall awesomeness.

If it wasn't clear, GET THAT LETTER! Also, since Pitt is an allopathic school feel free to sub the MD for DO, or I'm sure 5 letters would be fine if you have both MD/DO for an osteopathic school.

Last edited:
Sorry if it has been answered already, I've done a ton of google searches and have found nothing...

I remember seeing a general template that DO letter writers can "fill-out" as a letter of recommendation but can't seem to find it. While I have found "evaluation forms", they are school specific. Has anyone seen a general one that is recognized by all DO schools?

Hey,
I've just realized that PCOM requires a letter from a dean or academic advisor. What happen if I don't have one?? Does it mean that my application is not complete because I have LORs from science professors but not an academic advisor??

Hey guys

I am done with my primary app, but have yet to submit it because of issues with LORs. I have a great one from a science professor, and a DO stated they would be willing to write me one, and I just need to get at them now. However, I still need another letter. My first choice is an individual who was a TA at the time, he was my teacher in statistical methods, and I also did research under him and he knows me well. However, he has since graduated and moved on to another institute. I am his friend on facebook, but aside from that I have no means to contact him. Should I email him over facebook? I feel ridiculous doing that!!

hi all,
quick question. I know that a LOR from a DO is recommended, and required by some DO schools. My question is, should I get this LOR from a DO in on my primaries, or is it ok to wait until my secondaries to send this out.
The reason I ask is that I am just starting to get to know a DO and am spending more time with him, and he would be able to write me a much better letter in a month or two when he knows me better. Thanks-SH

My school committee letter hasn't been sent yet!! i'm so madd..!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad:
What's the point of sending secondaries in so early when the committee don't get the letters early?
They have 'no nagging' policy if you ask them when they will send it,
they will delay sending the packet by 10 business days.

Does your school's professional health committee already done with your letters?

Is there anyone out there that thinks getting a LOR from a physician(whether MD or DO) is a little rediculous? I mean I have no physicians in my family and I have shadowed 2 doctors so far. With every shadowing experience it seemed as if I did nothing but take up time out of the doctors daily routine and felt like more of a pain in the butt for him than anything. On top of that whether you shadow the doctor for 10 or 100 hours you then have to get a complete stranger who knows nothing about you write an LOR for you just based on an "interest" you have in becoming a physician and your application( PS, GPA, MCAT etc.) I just think its another unnecesary hoop to jump through thats all......

I think that working in a hospital setting around doctors is 100x more important than shadowing a physician per se.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that working in a hospital setting around doctors is 100x more important than shadowing a physician per se.

I completely agree with this part. However if you work around doctors you should be able to get a solid recommendation from one of them who has gotten to know you.

Likewise, I believe that after spending some time shadowing a physician, he should have a decent idea of your interest in medicine. IMO the MD/DO letter is less of a hoop to jump through and more of a verification of the fact that you have actually explored the field. Most schools wouldn't accept a LOR from a family member anyway

I guess I am frusterated because my shadowing experiences have been awkward. I mean I shadowed a cardiologist who watched espn between patients and hardly even talked to me. lol it sucked

So you have to send your LORs to each school from interfolio? Do you put in their mailing address or submit them online?

Some schools won't even have you send LORs until they invite you to an interview, but I would get them in to Interfolio as soon as you can so they're ready.

Just wondering about the process of submitting your LOR...When i ask someone for a LOR, do i have them give it to me and then i submit it or am i not supposed to ever read it/have it in my possession? Where/who do i have the docs/professors send the LOR?

Personally, I think the easiest way to go about the LORs is through Interfolio. It is the website that stores all your LORs and deliver them to as many schools as you want. That way your letter writers only have to write the letter once. It will cost like 20 bucks a year for storage and 6 bucks per delivery. You can have your letter writers snail the letter to Interfolio or upload the letter to electronically. There is a LORs thread on SDN that you can read more about. Hope this helps

So my committee letter will be the same for DO and MD schools...is this common? Does it look bad if "osteopathic" isn't really mentioned in my committee letter outside of the DO letter I have?

I guess I am frusterated because my shadowing experiences have been awkward. I mean I shadowed a cardiologist who watched espn between patients and hardly even talked to me. lol it sucked

The doctor you receive an LOR doesn't need to become your best friend. Don't stress about the cardiologist. It's nice if you're buddy buddy with the doc, but it's not necessary. I think it's appropriate to ask for a LOR from a doc even after 2-3 days of shadowing. I know a doc who wrote a LOR for a shadowee after 1 day. That person just graduated from DMUCOM.

Don't you have to submit your letters wiht your AACOMAS?

I'm getting a LOR from a DO, but she doesn't have an official letterhead. Can I just make a generic one on MS Word, and just have her use that?

I'm getting a LOR from a DO, but she doesn't have an official letterhead. Can I just make a generic one on MS Word, and just have her use that?

Same here. The DO who I've shadowed doesn't have an official letterhead either. He turned in the letter without the letterhead but he attached his business card in the letter.

All of my LOR are on Interfolio, including the D.O. letter. Makes life a bit easier.

If it helps, I didn't know if my letters were on letterhead so I called AZCOM. They told me if the letters come from Interfolio it doesn't matter if they are on letterhead. Other schools may or may not be the same.

I asked the D.O. physician I shadowed for a recommendation letter a little more than a month ago. She agreed to write it when I saw her, and said definitely no problem and would try to get it to me early so my application would be complete. At that time, I also gave her my resume with my e-mail, phone number, and everything but have heard nothing. I asked her if we could keep in touch by email but she didn't seem to want to give her email away. I was extremely excited that she agreed but now it's been a little over a month since I heard from her.
Then a week ago, I went into the office with the same resume, personal statement and letter request form and even a post it note. The nurse I saw said she would put it on her desk. Now it's been a week and I have still heard nothing. I don't know if I should be freaking out now or not. I have no way of getting into contact with her other than calling the office. I doubt she forgets who I am because I'm one of her patients. I don't understand and am upset about what to do. I'd appreciate any helpful advice, thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I'm planning on using my school's committee packet, and they use Virtual Evals.

If this is your only DO letter, go ahead and call her. You can also go into the office in person perhaps. I've found that is a lot easier and people are nicer to you in person.

It also might help that you are her patient. She will know that if she makes you mad and doesn't satisfy your requests, she might lose a patient.

I think you should be ok. I don't think anyone would agree to write a LOR and never turn it in (especially a doctor who was in your shoes in the past). I asked a professor for a LOR in Feb. and didn't get it until late June. It seems you are doing everything you can by politely reminding her. Give it some time.

I had a very similar issue when I applied. How I handled this was to call the office every week for a few weeks, than twice a week....then eventually I wrote him a sort of passive aggressive letter about it and finally got results.

It sucks to have to be a dick to a guy who was nice enough to let you shadow, but he/she AGREED to write the letter, and knows damn well holding you up can cost you an acceptance. They are very busy sure, but the least they can do is follow up with you in a timely manner. Its disrespectful IMO to agree to do something and then force someone to play hide and seek with you to get it

Not sure if this is your style, but it worked well for me!

Thanks for all your replies. The office called this morning and told me it was ready, one of the happiest days of my life haha. It was just me freaking out for the two months after i asked her

So schools are telling me they haven't gotten a DO letter, but my advisor said he uploaded it to Virtual Evals (I guess thats what my undergrad institution uses).

What should I do?!

So schools are telling me they haven't gotten a DO letter, but my advisor said he uploaded it to Virtual Evals (I guess thats what my undergrad institution uses).

What should I do?!

I'm not familiar with Virtual Evals (I use Interfolio), but I don't think the schools will just automatically have access to the letter. You will need to log on and send it to the schools yourself.

Hey guys, I have a question about the letter packet.

A few months ago, I created two letter request entries. One of which is a letter packet from my undergraduate institution, and the other one is an individual letter request. Currently, I plan to include the individual letter in the overall letter packet. However, in the letter packet request entry, I do not have that recommendation writer's name listed along with the other names. Because I cannot modify an already created entry, do I need to make a new entry to include that writer's name? For the individual letter entry, do I just change it to "letter no longer received"?

Also, does the order of the writers' names need to match the actual order that the letters appear in the letter packet?

Thanks for the help!

How much is it going to hurt me that my LOR is from an MD and not a DO? Thanks!

Hey all, so I haven't sent any of my LORs yet - but I did send in the secondary app. I wasn't expecting to hear from them, but b/c I just got an interview @ LECOM - Bradenton, I decided to check WebStar. Lo and behold, I was invited for an interview. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped about that lol. Just thought I'd share because I feel like hugging anyone and everyone right now. Any who, I'm guessing it's a good sign that they invited me even though I haven't sent my LORs yet..anyone else experience this? :p

**Edit, I didn't realize I posted this in the LOR thread, supposed to be in NSU school specific...but I guess I'll keep it here, just in case. :)

I am really concerned and worried about my letters. I've been going to the school's websites and they give specific instructions and forms even for submitting their letters. I noticed KCUMB has their own letter forms and CCOM gives out explicit instructions how they want their letters received (AACOMAS ID and full applicant name, letthead with complete contact info. All I did was ask my letter writers upload the letter to interfolio and I'm going to designate the school from there, is this all that's needed or do I need to contact schools to approve? I'm not sure how they what they included because it's confidential. Maybe these forms and instructions are for letters that get mailed in? I'm not sure and I'm freaking out like usual.

Hey guys, came here for some letter advice. So I have 2 science letters, one non- science letter and 1 DO letter so far on interfolio. I am close to finishing my first few secondaries to azcom and ccom. I am waiting on 1 MD letter from the family phys i shadowed. It should go out this week and will probably take at least 2 weeks till it gets on interfolio. I want to go ahead and apply to these two schools rite now but i was wondering once i get my letter from my family physician can i send it to azcom/ccom? will they accept a late one?

Also, most schools mention about 3 letters but can we send 5 in total?

thanks in advance

When schools say "basic" science LOR, do they mean just chem, bio, or physics? Would biochem or plath path prof work?

Hey guys, came here for some letter advice. So I have 2 science letters, one non- science letter and 1 DO letter so far on interfolio. I am close to finishing my first few secondaries to azcom and ccom. I am waiting on 1 MD letter from the family phys i shadowed. It should go out this week and will probably take at least 2 weeks till it gets on interfolio. I want to go ahead and apply to these two schools rite now but i was wondering once i get my letter from my family physician can i send it to azcom/ccom? will they accept a late one?

Also, most schools mention about 3 letters but can we send 5 in total?

thanks in advance

bump please :)

Hey guys,
So I got a letter from a D.O. already but I don't feel like he wrote the best of letters. I was wondering, how important is the D.O. letter really?

How influential do you think it would be to get a D.O. letter from a D.O. on the faculty at my #1 school. I'm in a position to do that right now, and assuming everything goes well, I could get that letter in a month. But that would mean holding off on having a complete application earlier.

Would appreciate you guys' opinion

Hey guys,
So I got a letter from a D.O. already but I don't feel like he wrote the best of letters. I was wondering, how important is the D.O. letter really?

How influential do you think it would be to get a D.O. letter from a D.O. on the faculty at my #1 school. I'm in a position to do that right now, and assuming everything goes well, I could get that letter in a month. But that would mean holding off on having a complete application earlier.

Would appreciate you guys' opinion

Bumpity bump bump:)

Do you think it would negatively affect my application if I sent a letter from a DO and a letter from an MD?

I've never heard of it being an issue. Some people at some schools may have bias, and the best way to avoid it is by sending only MD letters to MD schools and DO to DO school.

thats exactly what i thought, i even told me premed advisor that she shouldnt send it and she did it anyways.... that fool.... hahaha whatever, its all good in the hood!

I would just send the DO LOR but I would list the MD experience on my app.