2010-2011 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that they made a decision, but that it got lost somewhere along the way.

Give them a call. Not sure if this happens at PSU, but if its happened elsewhere it might, but a friend of mine who got into Downstate, they "thought" they mailed her acceptance letter twice but it was sitting on someone's desk. I don't think a call can hurt at this point - 4 months is ridiculous to have to wait at a place that is rolling.

Members don't see this ad.

It's just a matter of curiosity really, I have no intention of going to Penn State anyways. I wasn't too interested in them beforehand but this delay pretty much sealed the deal.

By the way, I called them a few weeks ago. They didn't even ask for my name and just said that it might take 8-10 weeks instead of 6-8. LOL.

just got the letter in the mail...straight rejection. ouch. first rejection post interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite today but withdrew-- I hope someone who's waiting to hear gets it soon!

I applied early, interviewed early, and was put on hold.

But today I got pulled off the wait list -- accepted!!!! =D

In-State. GPA 4.0, MCAT 35

I just received my acceptance but I won't be going so someone who is on hold or on the wait list my spot is open.

Placed in the continue to review category a while ago..... what's the chances of someone in this category getting an interview?? Are invites still going out at this school?

Has anyone interviewed on December 8th heard anything yet?

Placed in the continue to review category a while ago..... what's the chances of someone in this category getting an interview?? Are invites still going out at this school?

+1 Hearing this news stung.. I really hope this school will come through for me!

It's just a matter of curiosity really, I have no intention of going to Penn State anyways. I wasn't too interested in them beforehand but this delay pretty much sealed the deal.

By the way, I called them a few weeks ago. They didn't even ask for my name and just said that it might take 8-10 weeks instead of 6-8. LOL.

Along these same lines, I turned in my application materials mid-August and wasn't marked complete until Dec 28!! Now the preliminary review is JUST beginning. This also sealed the deal.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm on the same boat since Dec 14th, 2010.

I would like to know if interview invites are still going out at Penn State.

Any updates from those who recently received interview invites would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Did anyone on the continue to review or "hold" list post interview send in a update letter or letter of interest?

I interviewed at Penn St. today and LOVED it! The facility is great, and Hershey is charming. I really hope to be receiving a thick packet in the mail in 6-8 weeks! :xf:

Don't worry if you haven't gotten an invite yet, they're interviewing through April. There's still time. Good luck every one!

Can anyone confirm or deny if they welcome update letters pre-interview?

They ask that you not send any in. They will throw them out. They only accept updates once you are offered an interview. Good luck!

They ask that you not send any in. They will throw them out. They only accept updates once you are offered an interview. Good luck!

haha oops i literally just emailed them the one i've been sending to all the schools i'm on hold at or have heard nothing from. i figured it couldnt hurt to send one!

yes, I was invited on Jan 14th, OOS

I'm on the same boat since Dec 14th, 2010.

I would like to know if interview invites are still going out at Penn State.

Any updates from those who recently received interview invites would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Grats in the acceptance! =)

My interview is coming up next week, and I was wondering how many students were generally at each interview date?

I have the 8:30am start time, and just curious on what the day agenda could be like.

Grats in the acceptance! =)

My interview is coming up next week, and I was wondering how many students were generally at each interview date?

I have the 8:30am start time, and just curious on what the day agenda could be like.
there were about 12-15 ppl cant really remember. You will have your two interviews in the morning and then welcome speech and orientation/talk about the school session and then lunch then the tour and you should be done by 2

Good luck

Just received an interview invitation today. Anyone know when interviews are being offered at this point?? thanks, fellow premeds. :)

Just got an invite to Penn state today!!!!

I umm submitted August 15 ( my AAMC was completed in September and all my letters were received mid Oct), Completed by November 11/18

OOS, from michigan.

32 MCAT 3.78 GPA

Very Very Very excited, what is the chance of getting in after the interview.

Anyone interviewing the 26th (next week) and staying at the Days Inn? PM and we can grab dinner or something together.

Also received an interview invite today. So excited! I received the complete email on 12/15.

Just got an invite to Penn state today!!!!

I umm submitted August 15 ( my AAMC was completed in September and all my letters were received mid Oct), Completed by November 11/18

OOS, from michigan.

32 MCAT 3.78 GPA

Very Very Very excited, what is the chance of getting in after the interview.

is it too early for me to call them/email them to ask for an update? is this frowned upon by them? first time applying here, any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Is it true that if you get an email about a background check that means you will be accepted soon??

I got an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc for a background check from the AAMC

Ive read something in this forum about this before, but i'd like someone to confirm it for me :)

p.s do any other schools also do this background check thing before acceptance??

Is it true that if you get an email about a background check that means you will be accepted soon??

I got an email from Certiphi Screening, Inc for a background check from the AAMC

Ive read something in this forum about this before, but i'd like someone to confirm it for me :)

p.s do any other schools also do this background check thing before acceptance??
Its not a background check before acceptance. It means at least one school has accepted or waitlisted you already. Maybe the acceptance packet is in the mail and you are getting the email cuz its faster. This is not specific to penn state so if you interviewed anywhere else it can be any of the schools

pre-interview snail mail rejection.

OOS, <3.5, >34
never on hold. marked complete some time in December.

Good luck everyone else!

pre-interview snail mail rejection.

OOS, <3.5, >34
never on hold. marked complete some time in December.

Good luck everyone else!

Thanks for letting us know the time of the process.

All the best on your journey to medicine. And don't give up..! :thumbup:

n = 1, but this happened to me. When I got the email I checked the list of participating schools through AMCAS and Penn State was the only participating school that I was waiting to hear from. Acceptance packet arrived about 1 day later. Good luck!

EDIT: The date from Certiphi was the same date on the acceptance letter from Penn State. So if they met on the day you got the BC email, I'd take that as a very positive sign.

congrats to all who got in :)

is there a class of 2015 thread already?

OOS
Interviewed 12/16
Took about 5-6 weeks to receive my welcome packet

Interview invite! Anyone know what dates are available? I won't be able to call them until Monday.

I submitted on 11/19. Never got a complete email, although i believe my status changed to complete around the middle of January.

I just got placed in the "Continue to review category". I'm guessing this is mostly a rejection.

According to last year's thread, it's possible to still receive a very late invite, but I didn't notice anyone on SDN from that category that did.

I just got placed in the "Continue to review category". I'm guessing this is mostly a rejection.

According to last year's thread, it's possible to still receive a very late invite, but I didn't notice anyone on SDN from that category that did.

I was placed on this last semester. I sent them my official transcript because my grades improved. I hope that helps, because I really like Penn State, but I doubt it.

I reluctantly canceled an interview that I had scheduled for the end of the month. I hope one of you still praying for an interview at Penn State gets it. Best of luck!

I got waitlisted and I interviewed on the 20th. I am OOS

I interviewed over 12 weeks ago...are other people still waiting this long to hear back?

Status
Not open for further replies.