2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This same thing happened to me about a month ago. I emailed an updated cv. Most replied that they would put it in my folder for consideration. At this point it might be too late in the process, but emails don't cost anything so it's worth a shot.

True. I just emailed most of my doctoral programs asking if they finished the interviewing process. Those that don't reply by tomorrow will probably get the update email. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from University of Miami-Counseling PhD? I can't find any invites on here or grad cafe.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is appropriate for a girl to wear to a "social" with faculty and current and prospective students the night before an interview? It's on the college campus and the weather will be in the high 70s/low 80s.

What is appropriate for a girl to wear to a "social" with faculty and current and prospective students the night before an interview? It's on the college campus and the weather will be in the high 70s/low 80s.

There is another thread that gets into this in much more detail on Interviewing Questions - from my experience, most people dress nicely but casual. For example, jeans and a nice blouse/dress shirt or a nice dress/dress shirt and dress pants.

Has anyone heard from University of Miami-Counseling PhD? I can't find any invites on here or grad cafe.

Yes. Interview phone calls were received around February 3rd. The interview itself is next Friday, the 5th.

I called TC yesterday and they said they are NOT done extending invites for the Counseling PhD program.

I believe Yeshiva Clinical PsyD has a few more next Thursday, actually.

I was wondering about this because I attended one of the interview days for the Yeshiva psyD program and when I went, there were definitely a good amount of people just interviewing for my day (i estimated approximately 30-45). I believe I was the second interview day and there was one after mine. So if there are four interview days, that would mean they invited about 120-180 applicants for interviews? Is that about the right number of applicants for PsyD programs to invite? That just seems like a lot to mean in terms of percent applied versus percent invited...

I was wondering about this because I attended one of the interview days for the Yeshiva psyD program and when I went, there were definitely a good amount of people just interviewing for my day (i estimated approximately 30-45). I believe I was the second interview day and there was one after mine. So if there are four interview days, that would mean they invited about 120-180 applicants for interviews? Is that about the right number of applicants for PsyD programs to invite? That just seems like a lot to mean in terms of percent applied versus percent invited...

Hi,

all places I interviewed at told us interviewees right at the onset/beginning of the interview day a) how many applied, b) how many were invited for interviews, and c) how many in total will be accepted (or we figured the latter b/c of incoming class sizes) and when to expect notification...

So, Yeshiva doesn't disclose that? I found that helpful anyway. Good luck! :luck:

Two of the PsyD programs that I interviewed at interview aprox 100 people (on different days, obviously) and another one interviews aprox 40-50 (they get fewer applicants than the other two). Not sure if this is typical.

I'm attending the March 2 interview day at Adelphi. Did anyone attend the Feb 23 interview day? My question is related to the one-on-one faculty interviews. Did they let you know on arrival which faculty member you were scheduled to interview with? Or did you not find out until your interview time? Thanks in advance for any feedback provided - and best of luck to all those who applied.

Hi,

all places I interviewed at told us interviewees right at the onset/beginning of the interview day a) how many applied, b) how many were invited for interviews, and c) how many in total will be accepted (or we figured the latter b/c of incoming class sizes) and when to expect notification...

So, Yeshiva doesn't disclose that? I found that helpful anyway. Good luck! :luck:

Nope, I don't remember at any time that they told us. I figure it would also be showing a lack of self confidence if I were to ask since I am already there to interview. But thank for your numbers! Good luck to you as well :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from Widener regarding an invite to their final interview on 3/9 (I think I have the correct date)?

Anyone heard from Widener regarding an invite to their final interview on 3/9 (I think I have the correct date)?
I received an invite on February 17th for the March 9th date. You might give them a call since I believe this is the last interview day. Good luck!

I interviewed for the combined PsyD at Yeshiva. When I went, there were people there interviewing for both combined and clinical PsyD, so it really did seem like a lot of people. Maybe some of the people there were interviewing for the combined program when you went? We were all kind of lumped into that one room, so it was hard to tell who was there for which program.

I received an invite on February 17th for the March 9th date. You might give them a call since I believe this is the last interview day. Good luck!

Wow, words cannot descirve the freak out this post gave me. Widener is my top choice and I've been waiting for so long to hear from them.:eek::scared:

I immediately called them and was told that they're NOT done sending out interviews, they couldn't say exactly when they'll be done but the last few will be out this week, *probably*.

Cue me religiously checking email and jumping every time my phone rings... :xf::luck:

Also, am I the only one who thinks they're cutting it just a little close, considering the interview day is next week?? I don't even want to know how much the plane tickets are going to cost...

I called TC yesterday and they said they are NOT done extending invites for the Counseling PhD program.
Hmm, I called and he said that they are done and rejection/waitlist letters will be sent out soon. Perhaps we spoke with different people.

I received a letter in the mail today from Syracuse University notifying me that I am on their Clinical PhD waitlist. However, I never got an interview invite there. I always figured that you would only be placed on a waitlist after an interview - it doesn't make much sense to me, so I guess that means there is a very slim chance of getting off the waitlist? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Received a fairly standard rejection letter from Colorado State U Counseling Psych today.

I know someone got an e-mail from seton hall on grad cafe. They told me a letter would be coming in the mail......pretty much given up hope. Has anyone heard?

Anybody know if Regent University PsyD has made any offers yet? If so, how were you notified?

Thanks!

For those holding their breath about the Pacific University interview waitlist, I have learned from admissions that some people on the list have indeed been asked for an interview. Let the countdown continue...

I know someone got an e-mail from seton hall on grad cafe. They told me a letter would be coming in the mail......pretty much given up hope. Has anyone heard?

You talking about the counseling program? If so, they sent out an e-mail invite last Thursday. The interview is 3/18

I received a letter in the mail today from Syracuse University notifying me that I am on their Clinical PhD waitlist. However, I never got an interview invite there. I always figured that you would only be placed on a waitlist after an interview - it doesn't make much sense to me, so I guess that means there is a very slim chance of getting off the waitlist? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I could be wrong but do you know if its a waitlist to be accepted or a waitlist for interviews? A few of my friends had this happen to them this year where they were waitlisted for "round 2 of interviews." I guess if the school doesn't find the people theyre interested in during their first round of interviews they'll set up a waitlist for a second round and then make decisions. Good luck!!

Wow, words cannot descirve the freak out this post gave me. Widener is my top choice and I've been waiting for so long to hear from them.:eek::scared:

I immediately called them and was told that they're NOT done sending out interviews, they couldn't say exactly when they'll be done but the last few will be out this week, *probably*.

Cue me religiously checking email and jumping every time my phone rings... :xf::luck:

Also, am I the only one who thinks they're cutting it just a little close, considering the interview day is next week?? I don't even want to know how much the plane tickets are going to cost...
Sorry for freaking you out :) FYI, I looked at my invite and all RSVPs had to be in my last Friday (Feb 25th), so they will probably be extending additional invites through this week. Good luck....

Has anybody heard what the status is for the WSU Counseling Psych Program? I saw that they sent an email already but didn't see what the date was that the email was sent. Will whoever received it PM me? Thanks!

Hmm, I called and he said that they are done and rejection/waitlist letters will be sent out soon. Perhaps we spoke with different people.

I don't know. I haven't seen any posts about interviews here, or on gradcafe. When did you call?

I could be wrong but do you know if its a waitlist to be accepted or a waitlist for interviews? A few of my friends had this happen to them this year where they were waitlisted for "round 2 of interviews." I guess if the school doesn't find the people theyre interested in during their first round of interviews they'll set up a waitlist for a second round and then make decisions. Good luck!!

Well, that's what I figured too - a waitlist for interviews - but the letter implies that it's a waitlist for acceptance. I thought it was strange because there's no mention of a second round of interviews or anything about interviews at all in the letter. It says "we will be in contact with you by telephone if you are admitted at a later date". I can't imagine anyone would be accepted to the program without an interview, though, any thoughts?! Thanks!!

Has anyone received Rejection letters from any of the following programs:

Nova Southeastern University - Clinical PhD
University of Tennessee - Clinical PhD
University of Mississippi - Clinical PhD
University of Miami - Counseling PhD
University of South Alabama - Combined Clinical/Counseling PhD

Thanks all!:)

So I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not you need a "unique" explanation of why it is that you want your phd/psyd, or if its enough for most schools to explain your past, perhaps a personal experience and how that lead you to other experiences and where you are today, as a good explanation to the interview question "Why ____ school and why ____ degree?"

As long as you come across as passionate, excited, dedicated is that enough?

Well, I got a rejection letter from Miami's clinical program, if that helps at all! It came on Friday or Saturday, I believe.

Haven't heard a word from University of Miami- Counseling PhD :(

Haven't heard a word from University of Miami- Counseling PhD :(

The interview is this Friday. So in this case, no news is bad news I guess. Unless they do a round two type thing, I wouldn't know about that.

And can someone please figure out what the heck is going on with TC?? Dying to know....

And about WSU - got a rejection email. It was VERY odd, with a weird chart saying "denial date" and a bunch of codes? It was dated 2/24/11. Too far for me anyways ;)

Very excited about my upcoming interview though! :) Just booked hotel & flight. :love:

Good luck to everyone! If you are going to be interviewing at Nova on Friday 3/4 COME TO THE PRE-INTERVIEW SOCIAL on Thursday night. Get all your questions answered and meet current students! I am a current student and will be there :)

And can someone please figure out what the heck is going on with TC?? Dying to know....

Now, I am by no means an authority on TC, but if you are talking about the counseling program, they interviewed on the 17th and 18th. I have a feeling that they are done.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
So, I just interviewed at my top choice school on Friday. The PI told us after the interviews that she would let us know on Thursday (yesterday) where we stand. In response to my thank you note, she said I would hear from her 'after the faculty meet to discuss admissions on Wednesday.' Well, I'm assuming the meeting took place and it's already Friday and I haven't heard a thing. This is just incredibly agonizing.
Do you guys think it would be appropriate if, by Wednesday I haven't heard anything, I emailed her to reiterate my strong interest in the her lab and the program? Or would that be annoying and pushy? If not, would it be too early to email today?
Also, do you think it's likely that I am just not who she chose and that she is delaying giving me the bad news?
This is so very stressful.:eek::scared:

Please help!

And congratulations to everyone with acceptances where they'd like to go!

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm going to e-mail the department secretary this afternoon, I think.

Hi guys,
So, I just interviewed at my top choice school on Friday. The PI told us after the interviews that she would let us know on Thursday (yesterday) where we stand. In response to my thank you note, she said I would hear from her 'after the faculty meet to discuss admissions on Wednesday.' Well, I'm assuming the meeting took place and it's already Friday and I haven't heard a thing. This is just incredibly agonizing.
Do you guys think it would be appropriate if, by Wednesday I haven't heard anything, I emailed her to reiterate my strong interest in the her lab and the program? Or would that be annoying and pushy? If not, would it be too early to email today?
Also, do you think it's likely that I am just not who she chose and that she is delaying giving me the bad news?
This is so very stressful.:eek::scared:

Please help!

And congratulations to everyone with acceptances where they'd like to go!

At this point, she has probably made her decision as to whether to extend and offer to you or not. There is not much you can do to change this. By contacting her today, you are setting yourself up for not hearing back, and then spending all weekend analyzing what that means.

Hang tight.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't heard anything from Temple since my interview. Have you heard yet?

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten any invites from

CAU in MIA general PsyD track
Nova PhD & PsyD track

I got an email from Nova asking me if I wanted to consider the School Psychology PsyD program as well. Did anyone else get this message?

I look forward to everyones response

just curious ..... have you heard anything about the school psych interview invites?

I have a question. I am waiting to hear back from a couple schools that I interviewed with next week (all clinical). And I have an interview the week after. I am thinking that if I get acceptance to either of these two schools I may not go to the last interview, partly due to my preference and partly due to financial restraint. But I worry that the air ticket may run out if I hear back negative results from these two schools and want to purchase ticket. One of these two schools have already extended offers, which I am not sure where I stand at this point. Any advice?

Of my 4 applications, I have:

1 acceptance
1 rejection
1 waitlist
1 interview to go

I'm feeling like such a well-rounded applicant at this point. :laugh:

There is not that much longer before April 15th! And University of Cincinnati hasn't even sent out invites yet????????