2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is so infuriating. I haven't heard a word from Georgia State yet and its nearing the middle of March. Not a waitlist, not a rejection, nothing. I've called them, emailed them and I keep getting the same vague response. I know that they already sent out interview invites a long time ago but I would hate to give up and accept a different offer only to get an interview later on.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been thinking since it is mid-march already.... anyone know what happens if you have an interview late march? Do they HAVE to get back to you asap or what?

Has anyone heard back from Southern Illinois University's Counseling PhD program post interview? It has been 2 weeks today.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so infuriating. I haven't heard a word from Georgia State yet and its nearing the middle of March. Not a waitlist, not a rejection, nothing. I've called them, emailed them and I keep getting the same vague response. I know that they already sent out interview invites a long time ago but I would hate to give up and accept a different offer only to get an interview later on.

Hmela, I'm sorry for your experiences. Both interview dates already occurred and in the past several years I've been at GSU, we've not had another formal interview date apart from the two we do each year. If you get an offer, I would consider that one without waiting for GSU. Best of luck.

Still have an interview on 3/18 (Seton Hall-Counseling). I'm pretty sure I won't end up attending (if I get an offer), especially because I got an offer at what seems to be my top-choice school, but I want to give everyone a chance and also form connections and get a feel for the other programs....hah :p

so i got an email from the director of training at my top choice school telling me that i'm on the waitlist, but that they anticipate inviting more people because they will either get more money and/or people will turn down the offers. the email told me to 'please hang in there' because the committee really liked my app and enjoyed meeting me at interview day. the email also said to please let them know about my other offers and keep them up to date on any decisions i make.

this was after i heard incredible, omg-we-cant-wait-to-admit-you feedback from all the faculty (and grad students i met) about my application and my time visiting. the prof whose lab i want to work in actually asked me if they made me an offer, would i take it? i said yes.

my question is 2-fold:

1) why do schools pretend you're the best thing ever only to let you down? i've had this happen 3 times to me so far--professors i've interviewed with have called me afterward and told me that they talked privately to other faculty about how great i am and how excited they were about my application and/or meeting me. at the 3 schools, i got 1 rejection and now 2 waitlists. why can't they just be professional about it and say "we enjoyed meeting you" and then tell you admit/wait/reject? what's the point of all the false courting/ego-inflating? it kind of makes me sick.

2) how should i respond to the email? is it ok to ask if there is a ranking on the waitlist? i'd really like to know.

what a process.
:eek:

so i got an email from the director of training at my top choice school telling me that i'm on the waitlist, but that they anticipate inviting more people because they will either get more money and/or people will turn down the offers. the email told me to 'please hang in there' because the committee really liked my app and enjoyed meeting me at interview day. the email also said to please let them know about my other offers and keep them up to date on any decisions i make.

this was after i heard incredible, omg-we-cant-wait-to-admit-you feedback from all the faculty (and grad students i met) about my application and my time visiting. the prof whose lab i want to work in actually asked me if they made me an offer, would i take it? i said yes.

my question is 2-fold:

1) why do schools pretend you're the best thing ever only to let you down? i've had this happen 3 times to me so far--professors i've interviewed with have called me afterward and told me that they talked privately to other faculty about how great i am and how excited they were about my application and/or meeting me. at the 3 schools, i got 1 rejection and now 2 waitlists. why can't they just be professional about it and say "we enjoyed meeting you" and then tell you admit/wait/reject? what's the point of all the false courting/ego-inflating? it kind of makes me sick.

2) how should i respond to the email? is it ok to ask if there is a ranking on the waitlist? i'd really like to know.

what a process.

I think it helps to keep in mind that so many of the applicants invited- actually all of them - have qualities and experience similar to us. For instance, when I went in to one interview - the interviewer said "Ohhh another 4.0?" Therefore, it goes to show, that how much better can you get when your qualifications are already amazing and that's why they invited you in the first place. Maybe I'm just the naive one that actually believes them when they say they'd actually want to accept us all because so many candidates have such good credentials. I wouldn't take it personally.

And about the waitlist - I'd tell them the truth. DO you have other offers you can let them know about or are you putting everything on hold to hear back from them first? If they seemed open to giving ranking info, I'd ask. I haven't yet- just cause the waitlist emails I got were mass email format.

Man, sorry trickynicky. It does seem like you had this happen a few times during this process. I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it can be hard to get really positive feedback and then feel like you were duped, but like other posters have mentioned, this is a two-way street...We do the same thing that the schools do. Everyone is trying to make a favorable impression and ensure that they get in somewhere (students) or get a strong cohort of students (schools). I know I've acted interested and enthusiastic at some interviews that I was less fired up about, because not to would just be rude, unprofessional, and foolish. Even if they met you and thought you were awful (which I am definitely NOT saying is the case, just a hypothetical), no school is going to be rude enough to actually give you negative feedback on the spot. It sounds like they really did like you, they were polite and enthusiastic, but in the end they made a different decision for who-know-what reason. There really are just so many qualified people, it's so hard to guess what the factors were. I really hope one of the waitlists works out for you!!:luck:

my question is 2-fold:

what a process.

...As an aside, it seems a little bizarre and lack-of-boundaries-ish that a professor would call an applicant the day after the interview to tell them they talked to the other faculty members about how great the applicant was. I haven't heard of that happening to anyone else I know, and the fact that you had it happen three times is nuts. I've had people email me back and say nice things in response to a thank-you email I sent, but them calling you up unsolicited seems odd (maybe this is just me). I can see why it would get one's hopes up. That has to be frustrating. I'm really sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova Southeastern University
Clinical PsyD
3/10/11 via email from admissions coordinator with snail mail info to follow

Chestnut Hill College
Clinical PsyD
3/4/11 via snail mail

thanks bunderj & starsinnight...

just to clear it up: i understand that we all come in with stellar apps and background, whether it is 4.0GPAs, 1600 GREs, 1 billion published papers, growing up in a hut as a hermit and teaching yourself neuroscience, whatever. that's why we were invited. and i understand that it is in the best interest of the schools to act interested in the applicants.

as for my top-choice school i was talking about--when i went to interview, my prof and i went overtime talking, and he said he wanted to call me later that weekend on the phone to speak more. we spoke for an hour on the phone after our hour-long convo at the school. it was clear that he was also calling at least one other applicant after me because he told me he had to get off the phone for his next "phone appointment". but he ALSO told me that the director emailed him PERSONALLY to tell him how he thought i would be amazing for his lab--and how that was SO RARE. he also told me about the "amazing" feedback he got from the grad students. i mean, really?

and to further compound it and ask me that if they extended an offer, would i take it?

i just don't see the point in going that far with it, you know?

i don't have any acceptances from any schools. just a handful of waitlists and many rejections. i also haven't heard anything from one school and haven't been able to reach anyone there. it's kind of weird!

in other funny news, i got my 3rd rejection email from fordham. hahaha.

:smuggrin:

K, that sounds really weird to me. They're trying way too hard and it shows...

yeah, i got the Fordham rejection letter 3 times too. My response? "Alright, I'm not coming, I promise! Chill already!"

thanks bunderj & starsinnight...

as for my top-choice school i was talking about--when i went to interview, my prof and i went overtime talking, and he said he wanted to call me later that weekend on the phone to speak more. we spoke for an hour on the phone after our hour-long convo at the school. it was clear that he was also calling at least one other applicant after me because he told me he had to get off the phone for his next "phone appointment". but he ALSO told me that the director emailed him PERSONALLY to tell him how he thought i would be amazing for his lab--and how that was SO RARE. he also told me about the "amazing" feedback he got from the grad students. i mean, really?

and to further compound it and ask me that if they extended an offer, would i take it?

i just don't see the point in going that far with it, you know?

:smuggrin:

Anyone else still have interviews scheduled?

I have La Salle on the 18th. I was actually wondering too, if most deadlines to accept are April 15th, they have to let me know pretty soon after the interview, right?

Also, Brooklyn College told me to call in 2 weeks just to find out if they received all my documents. When are they planning on making announcements?? A friend who goes there told me he found out in July of his acceptance. That's nice and dandy if you're sure you're not going anywhere else but what am I supposed to do if I need to let other schools know by April??

This is also probably not the place for the following rant, but is anyone else a bit insulted that Rutgers sent out rejection Emails? Every other school so far had the decency to send in an actual letter. Not that the trees don't appreciate it, but I don't see them making a Green campaign.

This is also probably not the place for the following rant, but is anyone else a bit insulted that Rutgers sent out rejection Emails? Every other school so far had the decency to send in an actual letter. Not that the trees don't appreciate it, but I don't see them making a Green campaign.

I think that its pretty common to get an email rejection. I've gotten a few so far and really, I'm kind of grateful for them. Email is just a much faster way to let us know as quickly as possible. I usually get a typed letter in the mail a few days to a few weeks later, the email is just for our convenience and to stop us from worrying unnecessarily.

What really bothers me are the schools that don't say anything. I technically still haven't heard anything from UConn or Tennessee, but obviously have given up hope at these two schools since it's so late in the game.

Rutgers PsyD sent out rejection emails? Geez, they didn't even have the decency to reject me yet!

Rutgers PsyD sent out rejection emails? Geez, they didn't even have the decency to reject me yet!

The longer that it takes for you to hear a rejection, the longer that the school is considering accepting you. I take it as a good sign. You may unknowingly be on a waitlist.

If you interviewed then not having an update might be a good thing.

I wish :) Never even interviewed..I think they just plain forgot about me!

It doesn't matter at all at this point, since I already accepted an offer from another school. All ends well.

i hear ya, no rejection from rutgers still, and nope, not even after an interview, my online account still says "no decision"

how rude!

ha but agreed, no worries, i got in elsewhere :)

4 out of 7 schools interview offers. Finished my last interview today. Feels good. Acceptances from 2 programs so far and waiting to hear from the last two. One of which happens to be my top choice. I don't envy people who have to go through this process multiple times. I don't think I would have the stamina to do round two next year.

Did anyone who applied to Pepperdine received an email about applying for a scholarship? I received an email like this last week, and I checked wavenet where I had a couple to do things for financial aid. Yet I have not received a decision on whether Im in or not!
I also just found out some people had acceptance calls last week.

I wonder whats up! If i dont get accepted Im going to be so sad! My hopes are waaay up!

Did anyone who applied to Pepperdine received an email about applying for a scholarship? I received an email like this last week, and I checked wavenet where I had a couple to do things for financial aid. Yet I have not received a decision on whether Im in or not!

I wonder whats up! If i dont get accepted Im going to be so sad! My hopes are waaay up!

The committee meets again on the 22nd and we should be hearing their decisions after that. Good luck!

I don't envy people who have to go through this process multiple times. I don't think I would have the stamina to do round two next year.

Amen to that!! Or the money, eek. I'd also be doubting my SOP so much that I'd have to sit and rewrite each one! But the whole application cycle is really and truly exhausting :sleep:.

I didn't hear anything from pepperdine. did anyone yet?

Apparently committee met yesterday to finalize decisions for Pepperdine. Some phone calls went out today. I did not get one unfortunately. Figures, considering I was accepted to 3 other PsyD programs but Pepperdine was my top choice. I think it is time to throw in the towel on Pepperdine.

Apparently committee met yesterday to finalize decisions for Pepperdine. Some phone calls went out today. I did not get one unfortunately. Figures, considering I was accepted to 3 other PsyD programs but Pepperdine was my top choice. I think it is time to throw in the towel on Pepperdine.

Yes, there are several different stories going around. Cheryl said there will be no phone calls, but I heard there have been phone calls. Also, she told me a couple of weeks ago that there would be phone calls. I also heard (maybe rumor or not) that someone got a rejection email yesterday. Per Cheryl, it will all come through snail mail soon. It seems disorganized and there are a few stories running around out there. I'm not sure why it needs to be a secretive process, especially at this point.

i hear ya, no rejection from rutgers still, and nope, not even after an interview, my online account still says "no decision"

how rude!

ha but agreed, no worries, i got in elsewhere :)

Same with me, applied for Clinical PhD, but still no word. So annoying! Just chose the other offer instead of waiting for them:mad:

I got an email today inviting me to interview with the USUHS clinical psychology military track PhD program. Interviews are 5/9/11 for the 2012 academic year. Yay!

Well kids, it's the end of the ride for me. This was my 3rd time applying and 8 waitlists later, I only got in to my safety school, got a scholarship, but it wasn't quite enough to justify the loans/the next 5 years of my life. It's time to do something else, methinks.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for the great advice you have given me over these last several months.

:idea:

4 out of 7 schools interview offers. Finished my last interview today. Feels good. Acceptances from 2 programs so far and waiting to hear from the last two. One of which happens to be my top choice. I don't envy people who have to go through this process multiple times. I don't think I would have the stamina to do round two next year.

Last edited:
Well kids, it's the end of the ride for me. This was my 3rd time applying and 8 waitlists later, I only got in to my safety school, got a scholarship, but it wasn't quite enough to justify the loans/the next 5 years of my life. It's time to do something else, methinks.

Good luck to everyone, and thank you so much to everyone on here for the great advice you have given me over these last several months.

dJU5zl
I am so sorry to hear this Nicky. I wish you the best no matter where your journey takes you.

Take care!