cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys,

The primary app is a few weeks away and shortly after that secondaries will follow. I went through some of the school specific threads and tried to find the secondary prompts/questions from the 09-10 cycle. I'll list what I pulled out below, and please feel free to add to this list. This should help everyone in a great way.

LECOM essay prompts:

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. How do you envision yourself practicing medicine in the future (beyond residency)?

LMU-DCOM can be found on their site I think.

William Carey- Secondary: very similar to Pikeville's
Essay question:
Statement of purpose: Attach a single page (8 1/2” x 11”) stating why you should be selected for training as a primary care osteopathic physician and what life experiences you believe have prepared you to become a physician.
Be ready to restate all employment, volunteer work, honors.

Nova- rumor has it, this is easy… I guess its online… Fill in activities from primary app and what schools you applied to.

Touro NY- The essay question is Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the TouroCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Please limit your essay to 2 pages. On a separate sheet of paper, consider addressing a few areas; Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How has your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? Can you express how you were influenced by a shadowing experience?

PCOMs- Why DO? Why PCOM?

UMDNJ- Secondary is available on som.umdnj.edu and you do not need an invite. I never got an invite. I believe SOM does not screen for secondaries so no need to wait around for them to email you the link of the secondary.

Pikeville- apparently similar to William Carey…

CCOM- Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class?

drctother

5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2009
Unknown
Status
Medical Student
Just wanted to say thank you so much more putting the time into researching all those secondaries, instead of just asking like most people do on here.

I think a ton of people will appreciate your work

drctother

5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2009
Unknown
Status
Medical Student
Oh one more thing

Congratulations on your team winning March Madness, the finals was a pretty good game

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Jun 25, 2009
Status
Wow. Is it that time of year already? Good luck to the next batch of applicants!

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi all!

I wanted to ask if any one around could answer some simple stuff.

I'm applying for this coming cycle and hope to get all in all my stuff the day it opens. I've been reading that people usually get it verified within a month. However, I will have finished school by then and I was thinking of enjoying some time overseas. However, If I am overseas I am concerned I will not be able to do anything about my secondaries?

So..is it possible to do my secondaries over the internet while in a different country?

Also..what is the average time between a person who submits his stuff on June 1 through to the date of the interview?

(If anyone is wondering, I'm primarily concerned with Western but an average of schools is also very helpful to know)

Thanks again! and...rawr, taking the MCAT in 2 weeks. IM SO SCARED AHHHHHH!

Jul 12, 2009
Washington State
Status
Pre-Medical
Most DO schools do their secondaries entirely online in my experience I applied to 10 schools and about 2 of those still had paper secondaries. I submitted my application last year a few days before June first and had my first interview at NSU in August, If I recall correctly I was in the very first group to be interviewed. I was done with all of my interviews by early November. I hope this helps.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wow... I was completely and utterly wrong about my time estimates then. Thanks a bunch man, I though I was looking towards like a 4-6 Month wait period in between submitting and interviews...I have to ask, but when'd you get accepted =D?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?! Sorry for being such a generic number oriented pre-med! lol

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All the times vary frankly. Your application could be verified a bit sooner or later than the predicted 4 week timeline. Secondaries are usually sent either automatically upon a school's receipt of your primary from AACOMAS or they will pre-screen it by computer and send you a secondary soon afterwards. Then depending on how strong your application is and how interested they are, and how many other competitive applications they receive is when they will send you an interview offer if at all. Some schools like KCOM or LECOM are quite fast with their responses if past years were any indication and may get back to you sooner than other schools. PCOM is one school that does not have a computerized secondary btw.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Sorry to be ask all these stupid questions but, I considering that I have a bad gpa (3.35)... I'm thinking I'll get a 31 on my MCAT, along with relatively standard EC's (volunteering/ shadowing/ research/club) would that slow down the speed at which they send me an interview request?

Thanks again

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you truly receive a 31 on the MCAT and with your GPA and you apply broadly enough, even if they receive your primary midway into the cycle you should theoretically do fine.

That said, I don't like dealing in hypotheticals especially with medical school admissions so do the best that you can on the MCAT and know that your GPA should not be a burden to you and then apply out as early as possible.

Update the schools on whatever E.Cs. you are planning/are in the progress of doing

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Sorry another question popped up, I was planning on doing more volunteering/working/class retakes during my application period, am I allowed to update my profile so that the schools would see? or is it more of a one time deal?

Also, thanks again, your helping me sooo much! :0 :)

Last edited:

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You're allowed to update your AACOMAS profile throughout the application cycle and once AACOMAS receives your changes, they will update your application and send a notification to all schools that you applied to so they can download the "new" pdf of your application.

That said, after submitting secondaries, I personally chose to update my schools individually with new LOR, publications, etc. instead of going through AACOMAS. I wouldn't worry so much about updating them on volunteering or work unless it's very significant because during interviews, they will most likely give you a chance to talk about them and what is going on in your life currently.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Wowowow! This is probably the most awesome news I have heard yet. I primarily want to update them in terms of class retakes but ya. Wow thanks again this info totally just made my day.

<3 you in a non disgusting way!

Jul 12, 2009
Washington State
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow... I was completely and utterly wrong about my time estimates then. Thanks a bunch man, I though I was looking towards like a 4-6 Month wait period in between submitting and interviews...I have to ask, but when'd you get accepted =D?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?! Sorry for being such a generic number oriented pre-med! lol
Yeah, sure. My stats were nothing special; I had a 3.5 and a 29 on the MCAT. The distinguishing parts of my application are that I have been working as a CNA at a trauma center for 7 years, multiple leadership roles, solid ECs, and produced several award winning short films. I got my first of five acceptances just a week or two after my first interview. I had all five acceptances under my belt a few weeks before the December deadline to hold seats. At that point I decided to withdraw my application from the remaining schools. My general advice is to apply as early as you can to a broad number and variety of schools. Before you interview be sure to do your homework and really know the institution that you are applying to.

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you are worried about updating them on retake grades, you were supposed to have them filled out on AACOMAS as R01/RO# already when you submit if you plan on retaking them and have the planned course mapped out in the predicted coursework so they can see that you will be retaking it. They will be expecting your retaken grades if you follow through with this method.

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Some schools do not screen for secondaries as well and you could even start filling them out now. For instance, I have LMUs secondary already filled out http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supplemental_application.pdf
you could have a chunk of your secondaries done before you left the country.
You seriously just blew my mind. I've been hashing up old secondaries that I have from a few years ago when I applied (it was all on paper back then ick) and just writing answers to all of the questions on word... I’m turning in my primary Friday, but being able to do these next week will be awesome! You are a smart cookie sir. Anyways, what other places allow you to do this?!

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you are worried about updating them on retake grades, you were supposed to have them filled out on AACOMAS as R01/RO# already when you submit if you plan on retaking them and have the planned course mapped out in the predicted coursework so they can see that you will be retaking it. They will be expecting your retaken grades if you follow through with this method.
Will they not evaluate my application until the retake grades come through?

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Evaluate yes, I don't know if they will make a definite decision in offering you an interview until they come in though. It depends on the relative strength of your application otherwise and how they feel about you as a candidate. Just like when applicants put down SMP coursework for a program they are registered for in the fall, most Adcoms will abstain from offering an interview until they are able to see at least the first semester of grades if they have questions about an applicant's academic background.

Jan 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You seriously just blew my mind. I've been hashing up old secondaries that I have from a few years ago when I applied (it was all on paper back then ick) and just writing answers to all of the questions on word... I’m turning in my primary Friday, but being able to do these next week will be awesome! You are a smart cookie sir. Anyways, what other places allow you to do this?!
I was wondering about this, so when I go to submit I of course have to wait until June 1st, but with my transcripts on the way, the verification can start before that??

traitorman

7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
i was just about to ask that. this friday? someone also said they submitted a couple days before June 1st? I thought they only let you officially submit June 1st.

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i was just about to ask that. this friday? someone also said they submitted a couple days before June 1st? I thought they only let you officially submit June 1st.
Ill tell you what I know, from two years of applying before (2006 and 2008), but I have to warn you that it may be a little out dated...

So I always turn in my stuff before June 1st. I have never heard that AACOMAS is not able to be turned in until after June 1st. The AMCAS has this rule, but not the AACOMAS. You can turn it in anytime after it opens in May. My submit button is ready and waiting to be pressed :) However if this rule has changed someone please tell me, I have checked the website like a million times and there is no mention that this has changed.

They should be able to process as soon as you turn it in. At least thats what has happened for me in the past. Previously I have been totally processed by mid June, mostly due to the fact that I send it in mid May.

BUT, that being said, I am not taking courses this semester, and they will not take your application without Spring grades posting! So for those of you taking classes right now, you will have to wait until probably somewhere near June 1st. Sorry!

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Ooooooo... It did change! Sorry... Bad advice, told you it may have been outdated! i just went on there to try and click the submit and pay button... It corrected me. This bites... Oh well, Ill be done, and they already have my transcripts...

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Evaluate yes, I don't know if they will make a definite decision in offering you an interview until they come in though. It depends on the relative strength of your application otherwise and how they feel about you as a candidate. Just like when applicants put down SMP coursework for a program they are registered for in the fall, most Adcoms will abstain from offering an interview until they are able to see at least the first semester of grades if they have questions about an applicant's academic background.
Do you know if undergrad courses should be retaken through SMP or could it be done through a community college?

I was wondering if I would be able to take 5 courses in a quarter at a community college and then have them update my grades. (Would this still count for DO's even though its not a SMP? )

My plan was to more so to retake 5 courses in one quarter, lets say during fall or winter, then retake another 5 courses at the same community college. So you meant that any doubtful colleges would withhold from giving interviews until I finished that first quarter specifically and that un-doubtful colleges would proceed with giving me an interview?

I want to retake courses to prove that my grades were just a product of bad times but I don't want it to hinder my status as an early applicant. So what would be the recommended course of action? Thanks guys

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you're confused

SMPs are Masters level courses and are unrelated at all to your UG coursework on AACOMAS.

If you want to retake classes, your best bet is to enroll at a local state university or a CC and take the equivalent class title of each class you wish to replace the grade in.

badmintondr

5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
OOO. I want to retake courses to prove that my grades were just a product of bad times but I don't want it to hinder my status as an early applicant. So what would be the recommended course of action? <--Also wondering if that could be answered.

medschl hpeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical

CunningCaregivr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2007
Washington State
Status
Pre-Medical
OOO. I want to retake courses to prove that my grades were just a product of bad times but I don't want it to hinder my status as an early applicant. So what would be the recommended course of action? <--Also wondering if that could be answered.
I am in a similar situation -- looking to re-take a couple GPA-anchors this summer, yet turn in my primary ASAP. I am going with what another person posted earlier by marking an "R" for retake, and listing new courses "in progress".

I am hoping AACOMAS will then process the application - even though there is pending coursework (the rest of the requirements are fulfilled right??). Then just send the finished transcripts in ASAP.

Any thoughts on that?

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you know anything about being able to get lecom secondary done in advance?
You can theoretically complete all of the secondaries if you had prior knowledge of the prompt that was asked from last year's application cycle, assuming they do not add/change any of the prompt questions.

You simply type out your response and save it as a word document to copy and paste into the candidate portal window that they will provide for you if they send you a secondary. LECOM does all of theirs online so all you would need to do is c&p when the time comes and submit as soon as you get it.

I am in a similar situation -- looking to re-take a couple GPA-anchors this summer, yet turn in my primary ASAP. I am going with what another person posted earlier by marking an "R" for retake, and listing new courses "in progress".

I am hoping AACOMAS will then process the application - even though there is pending coursework (the rest of the requirements are fulfilled right??). Then just send the finished transcripts in ASAP.

Any thoughts on that?
If you plan on retaking some of your classes and wish to submit your primary ASAP, then you simply put R01 or R02 on the taken classes that you wish to retake and then you put under planned/inprogress coursework, you put L01 or L02 respectively. AACOMAS will process your application and you simply need to send them your retaken grades when you get them and they will update your applicatant profile and notify all the schools you applied for accordingly of the new version of the application.

Jan 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Ooooooo... It did change! Sorry... Bad advice, told you it may have been outdated! i just went on there to try and click the submit and pay button... It corrected me. This bites... Oh well, Ill be done, and they already have my transcripts...

I got the same thing, but in the CIB on page 21 at the bottom of the page it clearly states, "Processing begins in May." They recieved my transcripts today, so I will call them tomorrow and post a reply when I find out if the verification begins now.

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I got the same thing, but in the CIB on page 21 at the bottom of the page it clearly states, "Processing begins in May." They recieved my transcripts today, so I will call them tomorrow and post a reply when I find out if the verification begins now.
They are very unclear about it on their website! To me, processing means you can submit... They have all of my transcripts as well, please let us know what they say about it. I figure they won’t actually "process" until submission because why bother if you might not pay and submit in the end.

Jan 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
They are very unclear about it on their website! To me, processing means you can submit... They have all of my transcripts as well, please let us know what they say about it. I figure they won’t actually "process" until submission because why bother if you might not pay and submit in the end.
You are correct, just got off the phone with the application services people. They said that even thought the CIB says processing begins in May, that they will not start verification until June 1st when the application is submitted. Hope this helps!

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You are correct, just got off the phone with the application services people. They said that even thought the CIB says processing begins in May, that they will not start verification until June 1st when the application is submitted. Hope this helps!
Good to know! Thanks!!! This is going to be the longest month ever...

E

exmissionary

I want to make sure I have the correct address on my application (P.O. Box at home or P.O. Box at school - in dif state). Or should I just put my home address? I'll be back at school in the fall and cant trust anyone to forward stuff to me. When do secondaries start coming in? Should I just get a P.O. at my school and have them forwarded to me till I go back?

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Mine were all either email or a link to their website to print/dl and complete.

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Does anyone have a list of schools that will allow you to do the secondary prior to screening and invite for it? LMU was said at the beginning, what other schools do this? I have the prompts from a few years ago but I was kind of afraid that they would be outdated... Plus I seem to have a lot of time on my hands lately.

Nevermind... LMUs secondary isn't even up until June 15th, and can't be submitted until July 1st.

May 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
When does PCSOM send out their secondary? I checked the school's site, but didn't fully understand what they meant. Do they send it out as soon as AACOMAS notifies them that you are applying to their school (even before AACOMAS is processed)?

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Bump!

Jun 11, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I just submitted my application and I was just wondering when I will receive my secondary applications and how they will come. In addition, will I receive these secondary applications if I am taking my MCAT in June and have yet to submit a score? When can we reasonably expect to be getting interviews and letters of acceptance and rejection?

DbDan

I like Bones
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just submitted my application and I was just wondering when I will receive my secondary applications and how they will come. In addition, will I receive these secondary applications if I am taking my MCAT in June and have yet to submit a score? When can we reasonably expect to be getting interviews and letters of acceptance and rejection?
Depends on stats. You won't be complete until Mid July at earliest if you are taking a June MCAT. I'm not sure if they will give you a secondary before getting your score or not. At best though you are looking at complete upon receipt of your MCAT, etc. so likely Late July. Interviews/Acceptances can vary based on school and are virtually impossible to predict. You will be done early though so you'll have a good shot at getting early interviews. Some people get interviews all the way through april, others will be done by november.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i'm flattered that the threads were merged. thanks mods!

zach175

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Once I submit and pay for the AACOMAS application, it begins processing according to instructions online. But will they go ahead and send it to the college without official transcripts and MCATs? I'm just wondering because I'm taking a summer course and won't have grades in until August but went ahead and submitted the application last night. My transcripts won't go until August and I was hoping to get the secondary sooner if AACOMAS actually submits to the college before getting MCATs and transcripts.

Thanks!