* * 2010 - 2011 * * Secondary Applications Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
word i just got it too, i'm debating to send it in or not. I have heard they are pretty unfriendly to oos students, anyone have insight about that??
that's why i didnt send them my primary. i might change my mind later in the cycle once i get my new mcat score.

For those of you who sent in the LECOM secondary already....does your status in the portal show that it has been submitted? Mine still reads "Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application." I'm debating calling to see if it's just slow to update or if something went screwy because I submitted on my phone.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who sent in the LECOM secondary already....does your status in the portal show that it has been submitted? Mine still reads "Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application." I'm debating calling to see if it's just slow to update or if something went screwy because I submitted on my phone.

Wow, really? It has been what, 3 or 4 days (including the weekend) since these have been sent out. Anxious much?

hah I was about to post the exact same question... mine says the same thing. However, I received my payment confirmation so they probably just have not updated the website yet. let me know what they say if you call them though

hah I was about to post the exact same question... mine says the same thing. However, I received my payment confirmation so they probably just have not updated the website yet. let me know what they say if you call them though

I suggest calling and staying on top of LECOM-E. I was "complete" there in October last cycle and then called again in March while I was trying to get updates to all my schools and was told they never had my LORs so I was never considered.... Considering I have the receipt from interfolio as well as heard directly from them I was complete back in November I was livid to say the least. They told me they think that someone had accidentally deleted my letters... thanks guys :rolleyes:

I suggest calling and staying on top of LECOM-E. I was "complete" there in October last cycle and then called again in March while I was trying to get updates to all my schools and was told they never had my LORs so I was never considered.... Considering I have the receipt from interfolio as well as heard directly from them I was complete back in November I was livid to say the least. They told me they think that someone had accidentally deleted my letters... thanks guys :rolleyes:

Thanks for making us aware of that, DbDan!

Thanks for making us aware of that, DbDan!

np. While 3-4 days including the weekend may be rushing things the last cycle made me aware that keeping in contact with all of the schools you are applying to be it through updates, periodic checks of application status, etc. are definitely a good thing. That doesn't mean call 2x a week but just checking in once in a while or updating when something new comes in is definitely a good idea.

I received the secondary from UMDNJ-SOM. I guess I will post the prompts for anyone interested.

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?
    2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

I received secondaries from UMDNJ-SOM. I guess I will post the prompts for anyone interested.

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?
    2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

Not applying to UMDNJ-SOM but great job:thumbup:. Would love to see this for other future secondaries.

Hi all,

I submitted my LECOM supplemental on Thursday and my application status still says that it has not been received. I called the LECOM admissions office and was told that they have yet to process the supplemental applications. I was told to call back in a week or two if my status still says that they have not received it. So, no worries yet!!

you guys should relax. if you're this uptight about secondaries after we just got it thursday, you're going to drive yourself nuts later in the cycle.

o man UMDNJ sent out their secondaries already?? im ready to submit my app but im still trying to finalize my personal statement.

how are you guys approaching secondary essays? spending multiple days making sure your essays are perfect like the personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
o man UMDNJ sent out their secondaries already?? im ready to submit my app but im still trying to finalize my personal statement.

how are you guys approaching secondary essays? spending multiple days making sure your essays are perfect like the personal statement?

That is how I am approaching it... I figure you only get one chance to turn it in so it better be good

If there is one thing I learned from last year it is to make sure that you are quick on the turnaround for your secondaries. That doesn't mean you should spend 15 minutes writing and submit but you should definitely not spend 2 weeks working on each essay. Also, the first couple will be the hardest. You are going to have to think up new ideas, etc. After the first few you can re-use them and add in things specific to the school you are applying to.

I'd say if you able to get your point across and you have written a solid essay than submit. It is not like the personal statement IMO at least. I'd rather have every secondary in within a week of receiving it than back up my essays and delay my application.

I tried it the other way, spending over a week on every essay, last year and it didn't work for me. I'm going to be much quicker to get them out this year. Then again, right now there is only a couple of secondaries out so you can afford to take your time on them, when the flood comes later on in the cycle you have to speed up the turnaround to keep up.

trying to work on those two questions right now actually. I plan on elaborating more on parts of my personal statement as well as talk about another event that I didn't get to mention in my PS.

I was reading the supplemental material on the website and it says to limit to one page. does that mean we divide half a page for the 1st question and half a page for the 2nd question? single space?

and for people saying they received a secondary from UMDNJ-SOM, should I wait for them to "send" me a secondary as well before I can submit one in even though the secondary is on the website?

For those receiving secondaries already, did you guys also submit your MCAT scores already?

Received my KCOM secondary via email today. Schools are moving pretty quick.

Got KCOM's too! Essay questions seem pretty fair!

As far as UMDNJ's...yeah I'd like to know if they just want one essay with both questions answered or if they want us to do half a page for each or one page for each? Anyone know?

In case anyone is interested...here are KCOM's secondary questions:
1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
2. What specific experience have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
500 words or less for each

i have now received lecom, umdnj, and kcom. i spoke with lecom admissions regarding the applicant status still reading "your supplemental has not been received". they said it has something to do with accounting not yet processing the payments and to call back in a week or 2 if that had not changed. :)

it appears umdnj cannot be submitted online, must be printed and
mailed:thumbdown:

In case anyone is interested...here are KCOM's secondary questions:
1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
2. What specific experience have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
500 words or less for each

Awesome! Thank you very much! :thumbup:

Just a little fyi for those of you applying to LECOM....they are starting up go through secondaries today and getting a stack ready for review.

Hey guys,

I got invited for VCOMs secondary today, but I don't see an actual secondary; just requests for money and letters. Are there any essays?

Hey guys,

I got invited for VCOMs secondary today, but I don't see an actual secondary; just requests for money and letters. Are there any essays?
Nevermind, it says information to follow... whatever that means.

i got the email today. it doesnt look like the secondary is posted online yet.

I received two emails today, one saying that they received my app and then another one saying they have a committee reviewing my app to screen for secondaries. I thought I was pretty well above their cutoff, or does everyone get this?

I got both of those emails and then another one as an invitation to the secondary.

I haven't gotten either emails yet, and my stats are above average. I am applying to the CC, maybe that has something to do with it? I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I take it Thursday...

Received MSUCOM today too!

Schools are really moving. So far LECOM, KCOM, VCOM, and MSU-COM

For anyone wondering MSU-COM

Describe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character. How has this experience helped you to develop specific skills and/or abilities that are essential to practicing osteopathic medicine?

I'm kinda frustrated because LECOM is going to wait to review my file until my MCAT retake, so that'll be about 2 months til a new score is out.

thats what it said on my admission status.

How the hell do people have secondaries already? I sent my app in to get verified the first hour of the first day of submissions. Now I'm verified but I've still got the "Submitted to AACOMAS" status.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people were already verified before the application opened on June 1st. I had my transcripts in early May, that may be the reason depending on when you sent in your transcripts.

I know a lot of people were already verified before the application opened on June 1st. I had my transcripts in early May, that may be the reason depending on when you sent in your transcripts.

I'm verified now and all my stuff was in over a month ago.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

"Status:
Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application. "

does anyones lecom say that still? I received payment confirmation and confirmation that they received my secondary via e-mail, but it still says that. Does anyone elses say something different?

"Status:
Your Supplemental Application has not been received. Please log into the LECOM Portal to submit your Supplemental Application. "

does anyones lecom say that still? I received payment confirmation and confirmation that they received my secondary via e-mail, but it still says that. Does anyone elses say something different?
Yeah. They updated mine today. Hang tight, you might get updated tomorrow. If it hasn't happened by the end of the week shoot them an email or a call and ask.

How the hell do people have secondaries already? I sent my app in to get verified the first hour of the first day of submissions. Now I'm verified but I've still got the "Submitted to AACOMAS" status.

I'm about to start emailing aacomas and bothering them again.

Yeah. They updated mine today. Hang tight, you might get updated tomorrow. If it hasn't happened by the end of the week shoot them an email or a call and ask.

did you call them or have to send in any additional items other than the 2 minute long secondary? thanks

got msu-com today. seems like quite a bit more work than the other secondaries. something like 10 different forms including an essay. also they don't take your LORs from interfolio/virtual evals. they require evaluators to fill out their form which consists of several questions. also they state that you can pay the $85 application fee and still not be reviewed by the admissions committee:scared:

got msu-com today. seems like quite a bit more work than the other secondaries. something like 10 different forms including an essay. also they don't take your LORs from interfolio/virtual evals. they require evaluators to fill out their form which consists of several questions. also they state that you can pay the $85 application fee and still not be reviewed by the admissions committee:scared:

shady.

May I ask when you guys were verified?

I have been verified for a while now, but do not see the release dates next to any schools...and it's been like this (verified, but no release dates) for a 11 days now.

May I ask when you guys were verified?

I have been verified for a while now, but do not see the release dates next to any schools...and it's been like this (verified, but no release dates) for a 11 days now.

Verified June 1st and Released to schools June 6th

Same here...submitted june 1st and verified june 6th.