2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:
1. Areas of interest: Interested in practicing in an under served area, Interested in rural health, Medical Research, Medical Academics, Primary Care, Border Health, Other. If Other, please explain.

2. List the activities related to the boxes you have checked.

3. Have you had to repeat or drop a course?

4. If you answered yes to question 3 above, please list and explain why these courses had to be dropped/repeated/withdrawn:

5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (hometown)?

6. Please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, speciality, who would be your patients, etc.)

7. (Optional) If you are applying to one of our dual degree programs (MD/MBA, MD/PhD, JD/MD); please indicate your motivation to obtain a dual degree and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)

8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite here! My app was transmitted last week, I didn't expect to hear anything for a while.

Congratulations!! I also got an interview invite!! I will be there on the 6th:) Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! I also got an interview invite!! I will be there on the 6th:) Good luck to the rest of you!

Have you already sent in the secondary application? I sent the tmdsas on 6-18 and they still haven't sent my application through! :thumbdown:

Ya I sent in my secondary at the beginning of July. My primary was sent in on June 1 and transmitted on the 22nd of June. The transmission time for TMDSAS has slowed dramatically due to the massive influx of applications I would suspect for you to hear something within the next two weeks!

did anyone else get an interview invite here for the 13th? I'm excited I grew up a tech fan so I think it will be fun.

Is there a character limit for those essays? I am briefly browsing the site but I'm not seeing anything outright.

Hey guys,

I'm not understanding this whole process. I applied last cycle, got 4 early interviews, and Tech-Lubbock was my first one and I really liked it. I applied just as early this year (submitted tmdsas 6/8, received payment 6/10, and transmitted 7/13) and have not heard anything from Tech yet!

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I applied MD/MBA this time around?

3.55c/3.54s/32Q

has anyone else been stuck in "no status" since like early july lol...

has anyone else been stuck in "no status" since like early july lol...

No worries. They said it was a glitch in their computer system. :)

You can call them to make sure your app is complete though.

So "no status found" doesn't necessarily mean I have been rejected and not even offered an interview?

So "no status found" doesn't necessarily mean I have been rejected and not even offered an interview?

Yeah, I got an interview at El Paso today, but my status hasn't changed. No worries!

Hey All!! Congrats on your interviews at TTU-HSC!! :) I really think you will like it here and I'd love to hear some feedback once you all finish your interviews. If you have any questions about the interview day or need anything in the mean time please let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed here yesterday. It was definitely a surprise I have been thoroughly impressed!!! Both of my interviews were very conversational, and went very very well, no grilling questions simply who are you and why a doctor... The student ambassadors are amazing and the meet and greet the night before is extremely useful!!! The new sim lab is state of the art and is awesome. Those of you with later interviews will get to see it fully functional so I am a little envious :)

Thanks for sharing. Conversational is definitely good! :)

I just interviewed here yesterday. It was definitely a surprise I have been thoroughly impressed!!! Both of my interviews were very conversational, and went very very well, no grilling questions simply who are you and why a doctor... The student ambassadors are amazing and the meet and greet the night before is extremely useful!!! The new sim lab is state of the art and is awesome. Those of you with later interviews will get to see it fully functional so I am a little envious :)

Glad you enjoyed your time here!! I was one of the student ambassadors helping with your day and we really enjoy meeting the future med students and showing off our school. I'm also happy you liked the coffee social, it was our first time doing that and it's great to hear you felt like it was useful to you. We plan to have some COLD drink options next time, since it was way too hot for that coffee. :D

Just got an interview invite! 3.7c/3.5s and 32MCAT. I am SOOO EXCITED! Perfect timing too, today is my BIRTHDAY!:D Gotta love TTU!

Congrats and happy birthday! Still waiting to hear back from Lubbock!

Congrats Khanitez! Do you mind sharing when you got transmitted?

Got an invite today too :) First one!! My app wasn't complete until about two weeks ago when my LORs were finally sent.

Should I stay with a student host??

So I am assuming I am not going to get an interview here since my app was transmitted on 7/16 and I have heard nothing =( mannnn. bummer.

So I am assuming I am not going to get an interview here since my app was transmitted on 7/16 and I have heard nothing =( mannnn. bummer.

I thought the same for some schools, but I ended up getting interview invites anyway...about a week later...even though I transmitted earlier than they did. I don't know how it works, but don't give up yet. It's still early in the interview season.

By the way, is there any correlation with El Paso and Lubbock invites? If one school invites you, you'll probably get invited to the other...since they're both Texas Tech schools?

Got an invite today too :) First one!! My app wasn't complete until about two weeks ago when my LORs were finally sent.

Should I stay with a student host??

I'm biased, but I would say YES you definitely should. :) Not only am I a student host, but I stayed with one when I interviewed here in 2008 and had a great experience.

By the way, is there any correlation with El Paso and Lubbock invites? If one school invites you, you'll probably get invited to the other...since they're both Texas Tech schools?[/QUOTE]

I dont think there is any correlation because they are separate schools, just like the UT schools are separate but I wouldnt discount your chances at getting an interview because it is still early and I dont think anyone on SDN truly knows how they decide on interview timing.

I got an interview for August 27th--

Is there anyone that is driving from/through Austin to Lubbock for the same interview and is interested in rideshare? I'd be happy to split gas. PM me. :)

Got an interview for september 10th! Good thing I will be back in time for the first UT home football on the 11th =)

man im still stuck in "No status found".... anyone else in the same boat?

should I contact them? it will be a month since I was transmitted tomorrow.. so maybe tomorrow? or Monday?

My status STILL says "no status found" and I was offered an interview yesterday. it said that for a week or so before they offered me one. so i am not exactly sure what "no status found" means.

Also...the email says the interview days ends around 445. I have a flight out of lubbock at 5:50. Any opinions on if this is enough time or not and if the interview day actually ends at 445???

that was the latest flight out back to austin. otherwise i would have to stay another night in a hotel...which i really wouldn't want to have to do.

The interview day begins with an orientation presentation that ends by about 11am. This is followed by a tour, which leads into lunch. After lunch, you just hang around the health sciences center until your designated interview time. There are two 30min interviews. The latest interview ends at 3:30. There is a final open student-forum at 3:40 if you have any remaining questions for the MS2 ambassador students. If you need to leave, there is no reason you can't leave after your second interview which should be over by 3:30 at the latest. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also...the email says the interview days ends around 445. I have a flight out of lubbock at 5:50. Any opinions on if this is enough time or not and if the interview day actually ends at 445???

that was the latest flight out back to austin. otherwise i would have to stay another night in a hotel...which i really wouldn't want to have to do.

Thats cutting it extremely close.

That flight time is perfectly fine. It only takes a few minutes to get through security in the Lubbock airport (people arrive for flights 30-45 minutes max before they leave). Also, the student ambassadors will ask that morning who has the earliest flight and we will get you to the airport on time. Your interviews will be over by 3:30pm, student panel usually ends by 4:15pm or 4:30pm at the latest. Even if you had to leave before the panel it would be okay, they're done "judging you" by the time panel comes around....no doctors or ADCOMs are usually even present for the student panel. It will absolutely NOT reflect badly on your interview.

You will not be the first or last with that flight time out on interview day. I know it's nerve wracking, but I promise that you will be fine with that time.

I'm a Student Ambassador and shuttle driver for interview days, so I'm very comfortable with the process. We have at least a few people each week going to Austin or Houston who leave at that time. We always check flight schedules on interview mornings, as well.

P.S. Don't stay in a hotel! Stay with a student. It's free, you have free transportation to the school and you'll learn more about what it's REALLY like here.

That flight time is perfectly fine. It only takes a few minutes to get through security in the Lubbock airport (people arrive for flights 30-45 minutes max before they leave). Also, the student ambassadors will ask that morning who has the earliest flight and we will get you to the airport on time. Your interviews will be over by 3:30pm, student panel usually ends by 4:15pm or 4:30pm at the latest. Even if you had to leave before the panel it would be okay, they're done "judging you" by the time panel comes around....no doctors or ADCOMs are usually even present for the student panel. It will absolutely NOT reflect badly on your interview.

You will not be the first or last with that flight time out on interview day. I know it's nerve wracking, but I promise that you will be fine with that time.

I'm a Student Ambassador and shuttle driver for interview days, so I'm very comfortable with the process. We have at least a few people each week going to Austin or Houston who leave at that time. We always check flight schedules on interview mornings, as well.

P.S. Don't stay in a hotel! Stay with a student. It's free, you have free transportation to the school and you'll learn more about what it's REALLY like here.
Thanks so much for the information!!! I really appreciate it. And I am not staying in a hotel! I just got an email confirming that I have a student to stay with! So I am excited about that too!

You're welcome, PrincessBP.

Last edited:
FINALLY! I got my first interview invite in Texas today!!! :)

Texas Tech! Eeek! This is awesome, I am soooo excited... Hehehe. Anyone else interviewing on Friday, Sept 10th?

For those wondering:

TMDSAS submitted 5/13/10, sent out to Texas schools on 6/1/10, Secondary finished at the end of May, LORs sent and complete on 7/20/10. Interview invite today!

Total uGPA 2.91
Sci uGPA 2.87
Grad GPA 3.64
MCAT 27Q

Yeah, it is definitely not all about the numbers! Which is a nice change!

Yeah! I'm happy for you noshie! Good luck with your interview!

FINALLY! I got my first interview invite in Texas today!!! :)

Texas Tech! Eeek! This is awesome, I am soooo excited... Hehehe. Anyone else interviewing on Friday, Sept 10th?

For those wondering:

TMDSAS submitted 5/13/10, sent out to Texas schools on 6/1/10, Secondary finished at the end of May, LORs sent and complete on 7/20/10. Interview invite today!

Total uGPA 2.91
Sci uGPA 2.87
Grad GPA 3.64
MCAT 27Q

Yeah, it is definitely not all about the numbers! Which is a nice change!
I am interviewing on the 10th!!

Just got my invite too! Chose Sept 17, instead of Sept 10...primary submitted 5/27, transmitted to schools on 6/22, LORs received by TMDSAS and sent to schools on 7/26

Last edited:
I am interviewing on the 10th!!

Awesome! Where are you coming from and how are you getting there! Hehe. I just looked to see how far it is from Fort Worth, and its a 5 hour drive! I think I am going to fly in, its only $59 on American Eagle from DFW airport to LBB. Then I will come in on the 9th, rent a car, stay overnight and leave on a flight that is late (like 7pm) after the interview.

How do you get in touch with student hosts? I really would like to stay with a student if I can!

Those of you who are interviewing: How long did it take after transmitting for Merlin to reflect your application status?

Thanks!

-TH

Those of you who are interviewing: How long did it take after transmitting for Merlin to reflect your application status?

Thanks!

-TH

It never reflected it... Mine still has all those exclamation points all over it... But now that I have an interview, I click on the interview tab and it lets me schedule it, however the front page still looks the same... Merlin is not a very good place to keep up with your status updates. And, the email comes before you are able to schedule an interview, so just wait for the emails and don't check it constantly. :) Easy to say, harder to do...

How do you get in touch with student hosts? I really would like to stay with a student if I can!

There should be a section somewhere in your invite information (or whatever they send you....gosh it's been a while since I was doing this stuff lol) that talks about how to contact the student host coordinator. If not, email Linda Prado ([email protected]) and she can send you in the right direction.

Don't worry about renting a car, someone from the school can pick you up (whoever you stay with most likely) and there is a shuttle back to the airport that the student ambassadors run at the end of the interview day.

Awesome! Where are you coming from and how are you getting there! Hehe. I just looked to see how far it is from Fort Worth, and its a 5 hour drive! I think I am going to fly in, its only $59 on American Eagle from DFW airport to LBB. Then I will come in on the 9th, rent a car, stay overnight and leave on a flight that is late (like 7pm) after the interview.
I am coming in from Austin...so I would have an even longer drive than you! So I am flying as well. I think my flight arrives around 430. I am staying with a student host tough so I am excited!

Received an interview invite today! Went complete 7/14, and am coming from California for an interview on 9/17. Hope I can stay with a student!

Interview on Sept. 10th! I already bought my plane ticket and hope that my lab professor for molecular genetics will work with me since I'll be missing his lab (both lab sections are on Thursday and I'm coming from Maryland).

Stats:
uGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 26P (Yuck! Glad they're still giving me a chance! Haha.)

I think I should definitely check into staying with a student. Do you think it would still be possible (and not imposing!) if I needed to stay with a student from Thursday night to Saturday morning?

Interview on Sept. 10th! I already bought my plane ticket and hope that my lab professor for molecular genetics will work with me since I'll be missing his lab (both lab sections are on Thursday and I'm coming from Maryland).

Stats:
uGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.89
MCAT: 26P (Yuck! Glad they're still giving me a chance! Haha.)

I think I should definitely check into staying with a student. Do you think it would still be possible (and not imposing!) if I needed to stay with a student from Thursday night to Saturday morning?

Awesome! Maybe we will get to meet during our interview! I also just bought my plane ticket, and then I promptly filled out the form to stay with a student host... Include your arrival and departure times so they can come and get you. I am only staying on Thursday night, but it did say that if you needed a place to stay for more than one night you could request it! I mean, you are coming in from another state, so staying longer would be somewhat expected... Maybe you could stay with a student host on Thursday night and then a hotel on Fri and Sat night? And if you are staying that long, maybe rent a car for a few of the days? Not sure how public transportation works out there...

Is anyone definitely going to the coffee social the night before the interview? I really really want to go to it... Not sure how I am going to get there. Hopefully my student host will be going too... :) It says they can arrange travel for you... Maybe all of us can go and hang out! It might take the some of the stress away...

Status
Not open for further replies.