2010-2011 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I got invited for an interview October 1st. I am excited, it should be fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Today I got invited for an interview October 1st. I am excited, it should be fun!

congrats! I'm interviewing on the first too, so I'll prob see you there! you stayin wit a student host?

Last edited:
Haha, I'll be there on the first as well. I'm fortunate to have a friend there who's MS1. It's one benefit of applying with a gap year: I won't be spending a penny on hotels anywhere! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a grey exclamation point under "Application Packet Submit" OK? My TMDSAS was transmitted 8/24 and no word from Lubbock yet.

Noshie,

it is so great to hear how much you liked your interview day! I was one of the students in a white coat greeting you at breakfast, doing tours, and the panel on your interview day :)

Our school really is amazing and i'm so happy to hear that students are enjoying the interview day. Thanks for the update!

Is a grey exclamation point under "Application Packet Submit" OK? My TMDSAS was transmitted 8/24 and no word from Lubbock yet.

According to the El Paso thread, Tech has said that they've been having some issues with Merlin. I've been transmitted since 8/04 and haven't heard from them either.

Noshie,

it is so great to hear how much you liked your interview day! I was one of the students in a white coat greeting you at breakfast, doing tours, and the panel on your interview day :)

Our school really is amazing and i'm so happy to hear that students are enjoying the interview day. Thanks for the update!

Which student were you? There were many students due to the big group! I met a few that morning and at lunch though! I was the one wearing the teal silky top. I noticed no one else really wore teal... :) But there was a crowd of people so I am not sure if anyone really stood out. But I do remember the panel! You guys were great at answering questions... I am going to be really sad if Tech doesn't work out for me. It was an amazing experience. So far, out of my 3 interviews, this was the best place for me. It's going to be a tough few months of waiting!

Which student were you? There were many students due to the big group! I met a few that morning and at lunch though! I was the one wearing the teal silky top. I noticed no one else really wore teal... :) But there was a crowd of people so I am not sure if anyone really stood out. But I do remember the panel! You guys were great at answering questions... I am going to be really sad if Tech doesn't work out for me. It was an amazing experience. So far, out of my 3 interviews, this was the best place for me. It's going to be a tough few months of waiting!

I was wearing teal!!!!:)

I was wearing teal!!!!:)

I looked for you in teal!!! I saw one other girl with a skirt suit, kind of grey, with a lighter teal collared shirt. And her hair was in a bun. Was that you? I was going to say hi, but didn’t want to look crazy…

Interview on Oct. 8!

Payment received: 8/2
Transmitted: 9/16
Interview invite: 9/20

Oh, happy day! Oh happy day...

Anyone from Austin want to carpool for Oct 1st interviews?

Interview on Oct. 8!

Payment received: 8/2
Transmitted: 9/16
Interview invite: 9/20

Oh, happy day! Oh happy day...

Did you receive an application complete email before your interview offer? I transmitted the 8th and still haven't received an application complete email even though I got one from PLFSOM.

Did you receive an application complete email before your interview offer? I transmitted the 8th and still haven't received an application complete email even though I got one from PLFSOM.

No, I'm not sure if they send out those emails. I just received an interview invite from them out of the blue (didn't expect to get any until mid-October). Maybe it helps that I've lived in Amarillo for 18+ years. Good luck, man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed there this past friday. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it. Never throught lubbock was so pretty and the med school even more better. The tour was the BEST, you med students did a GREAT job at representing your school, the BEST thus far. The interviewers were awesome, atleast my two. I talked to other interviewees haven't heard one that said their interview went bad.

I just interviewed there this past friday. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED it. Never throught lubbock was so pretty and the med school even more better. The tour was the BEST, you med students did a GREAT job at representing your school, the BEST thus far. The interviewers were awesome, atleast my two. I talked to other interviewees haven't heard one that said their interview went bad.

Hey Hania, if you dont mind sharing, what kind of questions did they ask you?

Did you attend the social the night before? If so, how was it?

I'm going there on the 1st, thanks!

Oh is anyone who is interviewing on the 1st willing to room together? Traveling for alll these interviews is cleaning my bank...

And it's too late for me to get a host now... But yeah lemme know if anyone is down...

Hey Hania, if you dont mind sharing, what kind of questions did they ask you?

Did you attend the social the night before? If so, how was it?

I'm going there on the 1st, thanks!

Yes, I attended the social. It was fun. We mostly sat and talked with MS-2 students. Asked all the questions we had. It was a good, relaxing time.
My first interviewere asked me why medicine, about my research, and the rest of the interview was conversational. My second interviewer also asked me why medicine and she also gave me a scenario and asked me what I would do. Both interviewer were very nice and mostly conversational.

Don't worry much about the interview, just be yourself. They are really just trying to put a face and personality with the application they already have. The interviewers dont have your mcat and GPA. so that way they dont judge you based on your grades and mcat score. I really liked the school and I think u will too. Good luck and just be yourself.

i really dont think thats a good idea.. haha

i drove up there for my interview. it was long, the rocks scratched my bumpers big time, and there are plenty of deers to dodge.

It's not that bad lol. Although I did hit a dead deer once (dodged the first one).

This is a shout-out to NOSHIE! It was so great to finally meet you during lunch at Tech! You definitely have an awesome future ahead of you!! :)

This is a shout out to NOSHIE! It was so great to finally meet you during lunch at Tech! You definitely have an awesome future ahead of you!! :)

Haven't gotten a chance to meet her in person, but she is awesome, that's for sure!

i really dont think thats a good idea.. haha

i drove up there for my interview. it was long, the rocks scratched my bumpers big time, and there are plenty of deers to dodge.

Oh goodness, it's a long drive but it isn't THAT bad haha. We do have roads. ;)

And it's too late for me to get a host now... But yeah lemme know if anyone is down...

Did the housing coordinator tell you that? We get late requests for housing all the time....if you haven't emailed her and asked you should.

This is a shout-out to NOSHIE! It was so great to finally meet you during lunch at Tech! You definitely have an awesome future ahead of you!! :)

Haven't gotten a chance to meet her in person, but she is awesome, that's for sure!

Hahahaha. It was great meeting you too SirWilliamOsler! It was funny because we talked for a while before we even realized we were both from SDN! Did I ever get a chance to ask you about your interviews? How did it go? I bet you did great, you are really a sweet person, and I am glad I got to meet you. :rolleyes:

Blueflower, maybe we will meet on the interview trail! I have been surprised by how many SDNers I have met at each interview... :)

Thanks Noshie! The feeling is mutual. :)

In terms of the interview, I think it went well. At least, I hope it did.

Let's put it this way. The way you feel after an interview is the same way you feel after a test. You just never know. :xf:

I just got an interview email this morning, for October 15th!!!!! Transmitted and submitted my secondary on 9/8

Thanks for letting me know about the late housing request, I was able to get a host.

Also is there a place where I could keep my bags at the school? and i dono if someone mentioned it before but is there a shuttle that goes from the school to the airport? or should I just get a cab? thanks!

I just got an interview email this morning, for October 15th!!!!! Transmitted and submitted my secondary on 9/8

hey fletch, what are your stats?

i transmitted 9/1 but have heard nothing yet :(

first interview invite this morning!!!!! october 15th. What do I do now? Are they going to send me more info, e.g. student host info?

first interview invite this morning!!!!! october 15th. What do I do now? Are they going to send me more info, e.g. student host info?

Once you went on Merlin and selected your interview day they send you a confirmation email that has a link to a page on their website for interviewees. There they talk about submitting the necessary forms for student hosts. I'll be there on the 15th as well but I chose to stay at the Hotel they recommended, it's $109 a night with the discount.

Last edited:
I transmitted 8/04 and haven't heard from Lubbock either :/

yeah, it's weird! people with similar stats have heard back, and I have not (and I have pretty good LORs and ECs) - I just get impatient while waiting!

Congrats to all of you with interviews!!

I interviewed here 8/27 and stayed with a student and it was AWESOME!!
The interviewers were all very laid back and (I know it sounds cliche because every school says it) but they really were fairly conversational, but you have to make it a conversation. By that I mean that here, along with other schools, if you don't talk and hold a back and forth conversation with your interviewers then it will inevitably turn into them feeling as if they have to fire questions at you.

Good luck!

yeah, it's weird! people with similar stats have heard back, and I have not (and I have pretty good LORs and ECs) - I just get impatient while waiting!

I think everybody gets impatient while waiting. Ive had several interviews, and a couple to go, but I am still so impatient from the schools i havent heard from.

Thanks for letting me know about the late housing request, I was able to get a host.

Also is there a place where I could keep my bags at the school? and i dono if someone mentioned it before but is there a shuttle that goes from the school to the airport? or should I just get a cab? thanks!

Whoops, a little bit late on the response for you (silly med school, keeping me busy and everything)- but just in case anyone else is wondering:

Yes there is a place for you to keep your bags at school, many people do. they lock them up in the admissions office.

Yes we have a shuttle that will bring everyone to the airport at the end of the day. As long as your flight isn't before 5:00 you will be fine. And even if it is we can probably round up a student to bring you there early (i brought a girl to the airport myself at about 4:00 two weeks ago) ;)

hope this helps someone else at least.

28R, 3.91 (3.87sGPA) - perhaps I was wrong in thinking I stood a chance...le sigh

Libby, getting an invite deals with more than simply your stats. There were people there when I interviewed with lower MCAT scores and GPAs than yours, so keep the faith! There's still plenty of time for invites.

I missed the deadline for the secondary. I don't think I've ever been this disappointed in myself. Nobody's fault but my own...

28R, 3.91 (3.87sGPA) - perhaps I was wrong in thinking I stood a chance...le sigh

There is a lot more to interviews and acceptances than stats, especially here at Tech. Plus, it's only Oct 2 so you may be jumping the gun a little bit. I didn't interview here until November 7 and didn't get my interview invite until October 25 (just searched gmail for specific dates, weird reading those emails two year later....:)). I know the waiting process is hard, but try to be patient and not get too far ahead of yourself.

Can anyone suggest a good/inexpensive hotel or motel to stay at for a TT interview?

Aggie08 and Beets

Thanks both of you, it's amazing what encouragement can do! :)

Hi Noshie

The issue is that I'll be arriving in Lubbock late in the night, around 10. And so I'd rather not inconvenience any of the medical students for lodging. Also, my interview is this week and I think it might be a little too late to request a student host.

Hi Noshie

The issue is that I'll be arriving in Lubbock late in the night, around 10. And so I'd rather not inconvenience any of the medical students for lodging. Also, my interview is this week and I think it might be a little too late to request a student host.

Oh... Well... They did tell us to try the Overton Hotel, it's near the school and if you call and tell them you are having an interview you will get a discounted rate. I didn't stay there, but someone that I interviewed with told me they stayed there and it was nice.

Hi Noshie

I stayed at the Days Inn right across the street (literally) from TT. It was $50 something I believe, not very luxurious, but I didn't care.

Can anyone suggest a good/inexpensive hotel or motel to stay at for a TT interview?

Not sure what the price is on the hotel but my family always used the Hawthorn Suites when they would visit me (my parents didn't want me to give up my bed and we also used it when I was moving into the apartment as we came from across the country) I really liked it- very contemporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.