**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your practice scores thus far? If you're scoring near your target score (28-31), I would submit right now. Also, I would advise against applying to ALL 28 DO schools (unless you have some red flags that have not been mentioned). Considering secondary app fees, you're wasting your money; cut the list of DO schools in half (even that's too much). Some schools are regional-heavy in their selection of applicants (would you want to pay for Michigan's OOS tuition or agree to OUCOM's contract?). Take the time to look at the schools you're applying to - don't throw money at the problem because you don't want to put the time in to think about it. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, and I obviously haven't done my homework right, since I had no idea about he OUCOM contract till now!! There are no red flags except the GPA. I'm hitting the 27-28 mark on the mcat practice test and I still have two months of studying so I'm confident I will get a good score. and I have ALOT EC's/research/Clinicals. Do you have specific reason why you advice against applying to a lot of school besides financial reasons (and regional selectivity)! To be honost with you I would rather spend the money and get in than not applying to all I can and regret it later?

thanks again for responding, I didn't expect anyone to be up at 4am (at least my time zone) haha

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply to DMU, CCOM, PCOM, LECOM...But what others should I apply to in order to have a well-balanced list? cGPA of 3.36, sGPA of 3.15, Bio/Philosophy major, 29Q mcat, research + volunteer experience. Won't have a chance to shadow a DO until July. Hopefully doing an MPH this fall.

In regards to your list, I applied and was accepted at DMU, CCOM, LECOM. PCOM did not even offer me an interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to your list, I applied and was accepted at DMU, CCOM, LECOM. PCOM did not even offer me an interview!

Stats, if you don't mind me asking? And what do you think my shots are? What other schools would you recommend applying to?

Should I apply on Tuesday?

3.4 cgpa
2.97 sgpa (hopefully be 3.1 by end of june)
Mcat: 22Q

planning on re-taking mcat at end of July. just trying to start studying again, hard to balance with class i am taking which is really intense.

also planning on doing smp but don't know which one, which makes me think I should wait and figure that out so I could indicate it on my app before submitting.

I submitted primary to 14 DO schools,

Is that enough?
should I add more?

I submitted primary to 14 DO schools,

Is that enough?
should I add more?

Did you check if those schools don't screen you out due to your low mcat? Because in all honesty, I think you need to retake because your majorly below in stats.

Dudechiefboss! You are a BOSS! :p Thanks for the feedback. The PS is something I am working on now, and will of course update with my experience abroad. I am also grinding out that MCAT prep, so wish me luck. THanks again! I appreciate the feedback, as I know we are all incredibly busy. Good luck with all ur ish!

Did you check if those schools don't screen you out due to your low mcat? Because in all honesty, I think you need to retake because your majorly below in stats.

I do plan on re-taking mcat and indicated thus on my application.

I didn't want to wait to submit because I want to get verified and hopefully get some secondaries to fill out.

This may be an out there question, but are you from Utah?
I say apply as broadly as possible. The only thing holding me back from applying to every school is money. Why not apply broadly and if you get accepted to western than good to go, if not than you have a backup.

Nope. Not from Utah. I'm from Cali. I am however a BYU student. I got the username only weeks after returning from 2 years in mexico. I probably would chose a new name now. haha.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am trying to decide what other schools to add to my list... so, does anyone know if the www.studentdoc.com medical school competitiveness tool is accurate to this year (or any-time recent)?

It can be accessed here:
http://www.studentdoc.com/do-school-search.html

We need something like that. Maybe a little more detailed though.

Nope. Not from Utah. I'm from Cali. I am however a BYU student. I got the username only weeks after returning from 2 years in mexico. I probably would chose a new name now. haha.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I am trying to decide what other schools to add to my list... so, does anyone know if the www.studentdoc.com medical school competitiveness tool is accurate to this year (or any-time recent)?

It can be accessed here:

I played around with that for a while and it seems basically accurate... dont forget about shadowing/volunteering/research/interview skills etc.

Hey everyone,

Double major biological sciences & history
3.54 cGPA
3.20 sGPA due to illness, retaking organic chem 1 & 2 which I think will raise it to 3.35ish

MCAT in July.

Some non-med extra circulars like intramural sports etc., also about 300 of volunteering, 50 hours shadowing DO

Currently a full-time research tech @ Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston for the year (or longer if I don't get into school).

Thinking of applying to: DMU, PCOM, PCOM-GA, NYCOM, LECOM-E, UNECOM, VCOM, and Nova.

What do you think?

I'm going to try posting a similar question regarding that webpage on the allopathic forum. Maybe they have some info.

Hey everyone,

Double major biological sciences & history
3.54 cGPA
3.20 sGPA due to illness, retaking organic chem 1 & 2 which I think will raise it to 3.35ish

MCAT in July.

Some non-med extra circulars like intramural sports etc., also about 300 of volunteering, 50 hours shadowing DO

Currently a full-time research tech @ Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston for the year (or longer if I don't get into school).

Thinking of applying to: DMU, PCOM, PCOM-GA, NYCOM, LECOM-E, UNECOM, VCOM, and Nova.

What do you think?

I would say your in good shape, score well on the mcat, aim for 30+ and that will help u out a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to apply to DMU, CCOM, PCOM, LECOM...But what others should I apply to in order to have a well-balanced list? cGPA of 3.36, sGPA of 3.15, Bio/Philosophy major, 29Q mcat, research + volunteer experience. Won't have a chance to shadow a DO until July. Hopefully doing an MPH this fall.

Anyone?

Good Mcat, a little bit lower in the gpa department. I think if you apply early enough you'll get into one of them. However I add a few mid tier COM's.

Gotcha. How early should I aim for? I won't be able to shadow a DO until mid July, so I won't have a letter until late July - early August..Is that a little too late?

Gotcha. How early should I aim for? I won't be able to shadow a DO until mid July, so I won't have a letter until late July - early August..Is that a little too late?

Well, a MD letter works for most schools. But always aim for as early as possible.

Well, a MD letter works for most schools. But always aim for as early as possible.

Gotcha. I could get an MD letter if needed from a physician I shadowed a few years ago.

I know as early as possible is always the way to go -- but what's a good concrete time frame for that?

Gotcha. I could get an MD letter if needed from a physician I shadowed a few years ago.

I know as early as possible is always the way to go -- but what's a good concrete time frame for that?

As early as possible means as early as possible. Think of it this way. Right now, many hopeful applicants are submitting their applications. Schools offer interviews, and after interviews, acceptances. The longer you wait, the more slots become unavailable for interviews AND seats in the school. If you're a borderline applicant you have better chances earlier in the cycle than later.

A MD letter will work for some schools. But DMU and Lecom will require a DO letter. So try to get the DO letter as well.

As early as possible means as early as possible. Think of it this way. Right now, many hopeful applicants are submitting their applications. Schools offer interviews, and after interviews, acceptances. The longer you wait, the more slots become unavailable for interviews AND seats in the school. If you're a borderline applicant you have better chances earlier in the cycle than later.

I guess what I was getting at is...I'm retaking the MCAT in a month so I've been studying for that. Should I sacrifice a week of studying to get my DO shadowing in earlier?

A MD letter will work for some schools. But DMU and Lecom will require a DO letter. So try to get the DO letter as well.

According to the CIB, DMU will accept a letter from either a DO or MD. However, I think a DO letter will probably look better to DO schools.

I guess what I was getting at is...I'm retaking the MCAT in a month so I've been studying for that. Should I sacrifice a week of studying to get my DO shadowing in earlier?

are you studying all day everday???

I'm sure you could squeeze in a couple hours a day to shadow

Seriously worried about my EC's.

Have 3 years of tutoring biology, 1 semester of research, and 1 semester of volunteer/clinical work. With my stats, I don't see that as being strong enough. Member of chemistry club, and officer of bio honor society, but really, who isn't? :/

3.49 gpa
27N mcat (7p, 10v, 10b)

Any suggestions? I believe i will apply as early as possible and hope for the best. After the primary application is sent, am I too late to do any additional EC's?

I tried using the search engine to specifically find this information, but i couldn't (I am just probably not good at using it).....to submit LORs to DO schools is there a link either on the main DO website or here where I can see which schools need their letters directly mailed to them and what the addresses are that someone could send me? Would I also personally mail the letter I get from a DO i shadow directly to the school? Thank you.

I tried using the search engine to specifically find this information, but i couldn't (I am just probably not good at using it).....to submit LORs to DO schools is there a link either on the main DO website or here where I can see which schools need their letters directly mailed to them and what the addresses are that someone could send me? Would I also personally mail the letter I get from a DO i shadow directly to the school? Thank you.

From what I've gathered, use Interfolio.

What are my chances?

GPA: 3.11 now , 3.20-3.22 by mid-September (I am retaking an easy art course that will be done in mid-September. I got an F in the first time. If I get at least a B+ this time, my GPA will be at least a 3.20)

MCAT: 32 (P9, B12, V11)

Pretty big upward trend:
1st yr: 2.0
2nd yr: 2.2
3rd yr: 3.1
4th yr: 3.3
5th yr: 3.86

Major: Biochemistry

EC's: 150 hours volunteering, 10 hours shadowing

Current application status: Verified a few days ago. Applied to 12 schools (most of the schools with lower GPA averages)

What are my chances?

GPA: 3.11 now , 3.20-3.22 by mid-September (I am retaking an easy art course that will be done in mid-September. I got an F in the first time. If I get at least a B+ this time, my GPA will be at least a 3.20)

MCAT: 32 (P9, B12, V11)

Pretty big upward trend:
1st yr: 2.0
2nd yr: 2.2
3rd yr: 3.1
4th yr: 3.3
5th yr: 3.86

Major: Biochemistry

EC's: 150 hours volunteering, 10 hours shadowing

Current application status: Verified a few days ago. Applied to 12 schools (most of the schools with lower GPA averages)
just curious which schools you applied to. you can PM if you want. i have a feeling we applied to similar schools.

just curious which schools you applied to. you can PM if you want. i have a feeling we applied to similar schools.

Pikesville
Touro (all campuses)
PCOM (both campuses)
Pacific Northwest U
Rocky Vista
NOVA
LECOM (both)
New England
WVU
AT Still (both)

Also, the new schools, LMU and William Carey.

:thumbup:

And I could be wrong, and there may be some other schools that should be on this list (of the schools with lowest GPA's). If someone thinks they have stats that prove another school "deserves" (LOL) to be on this list, let us know. As far as I know, all these schools have GPA's within 3.40 and 3.47, besides Pikesville (3.35). Also, I have no idea what the GPA averages are for the two new schools LMU and William Carey.

word. we've definitely got some overlap

True. What are your stats? Your MD Apps link is not working.

dre, i'm really pulling for you this app cycle, i'm not sure why, i guess it's because I think our gpa's are similar, your mcat is most likely better than mine tho, I just remember both of us posting in the re-take summer thread and you gave me some good advice so i really hope you get in somewhere.

Hey everyone. Pretty excited about applying to DO schools this year. My primary is verified for 17 schools but I would like some feedback on what to expect this round.

GPA- 3.6 cum, 3.3 science
MCAT- 29Q
Clinical OR research, simulation center volunteer (tested medical students), VA volunteer
Fraternity officer, US Open ball boy, tennis instructor, surfer/snowboarder
Study abroad
Letters- 1 non-science, 2 science, 1 PI, 1 DO

Hey everyone. Pretty excited about applying to DO schools this year. My primary is verified for 17 schools but I would like some feedback on what to expect this round.

GPA- 3.6 cum, 3.3 science
MCAT- 29Q
Clinical OR research, simulation center volunteer (tested medical students), VA volunteer
Fraternity officer, US Open ball boy, tennis instructor, surfer/snowboarder
Study abroad
Letters- 1 non-science, 2 science, 1 PI, 1 DO

u got to be a ball boy at the US open???
thats awesome, how'd you land that?

anyway, I think you got a good shot, especially since you applied so early and broadly.

u got to be a ball boy at the US open???
thats awesome, how'd you land that?

anyway, I think you got a good shot, especially since you applied so early and broadly.

Ya it was awesome! I just got lucky. I won a scholarship in California that paid for me to fly there and ball boy. If anybody wants to do it, there is a try-out in New York every summer. There is always one or two old guys (30s/40s) who ends up working as a ball boy (ball man? lol)...so don't ever think you are too old to enjoy some tennis from the best seat in the house. example:
n2520616_39328480_8016.jpg

What are my chances?

3.48ish cGPA
3.54 sGPA
MCAT in July

ECs:
ER volunteer (1000+ hours over 4 yrs)
Heart Center volunteer
Some random non-clinical volunteering
Research (two labs, 1st lab - 8 months - got a publication, 2nd lab - 2 yrs - no pubs yet, strong possibility of a pub here but not before submission time)
Second author publication
Good to Great LORs
Have a DO letter already

What MCAT score would make me competitive?
What schools should I apply to?

Last edited:
I posted this in the allopathic what are my chances forum! so i was advised to post it here to get better replies.

AACOMAS cum-gpa = 3.4
AACOMAS sci-gpa = 3.2
MCAT = 25N (7PS, 10VR, 8BS)

2 semester of research in a biomolecular/biochemistry lab
1 semester of research in a psychology lab
Pakistani student organization board member
about 250 hours of volunteering in ER
about 150-200 hours of volunteering with an organization that helps build schools in Pakistan
about 25 hours of shadowing an MD surgeon (no letter tho)

and so far I do not have any letters. I actually do not know who to go to for letters :-s Neither do I have my PS done but I plan to apply by mid-end July.

Also, I am a michigan resident and I plan on applying to only one school...MSU COM.

I know my chances of MD are close to nothing. But I would love to get into MSU-COM. It makes it easier that I am in-state but I still feel my gpa/mcat are way low.

I would appreciate if you guys could comment on my chances at this school. I would especially like to hear from people who got into MSU COM.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

So I have 3.85 cGPA(3.94 sGPA) and 31 MCAT. I have approximately 50 hours of clinical volunteering. Average shadowing with total of 70 hours with two doctors and one is a DO and I am getting recommendation letter from the DO. I have good amount of teaching experience tutoring almost all science. Thats about it

I know my stats are good to go for most DO schools. But I am not sure how receptive they will be to my ECs. I am from Philly so I am going to b applying to all med schools around Philly including PCOM. What other DO schools should I add. I wanna add at least 3 others. And also do I have good chance at DO schools with those ECs.

Hi guys,

So I have 3.85 cGPA(3.94 sGPA) and 31 MCAT. I have approximately 50 hours of clinical volunteering. Average shadowing with total of 70 hours with two doctors and one is a DO and I am getting recommendation letter from the DO. I have good amount of teaching experience tutoring almost all science. Thats about it

I know my stats are good to go for most DO schools. But I am not sure how receptive they will be to my ECs. I am from Philly so I am going to b applying to all med schools around Philly including PCOM. What other DO schools should I add. I wanna add at least 3 others. And also do I have good chance at DO schools with those ECs.

This belongs in the "what are my chances thread" but you definitely have amazing stats for DO. I would also be applying MD if I were u. You should add some more east coast schools since your around that area. UMDNJ and NYCOM and Touro-NY.

Averages gpa/mcat for DO schools are about 3.5/27 or 28ish. Your well above that..

This belongs in the "what are my chances thread" but you definitely have amazing stats for DO. I would also be applying MD if I were u. You should add some more east coast schools since your around that area. UMDNJ and NYCOM and Touro-NY.

Averages gpa/mcat for DO schools are about 3.5/27 or 28ish. Your well above that..

For MD, I think my GPA is amazing especially my sGPA. MCAT not so much. And ECs are ****. But I do think I have a chance to get in MD but the whole application cycle is crapshoot to b honest and there is no guarantee.

As for DO, I think I have much better chance. Thanks for listing those schools. I ll probably apply there unless someone has better option

I posted this in the allopathic what are my chances forum! so i was advised to post it here to get better replies.

AACOMAS cum-gpa = 3.4
AACOMAS sci-gpa = 3.2
MCAT = 25N (7PS, 10VR, 8BS)

2 semester of research in a biomolecular/biochemistry lab
1 semester of research in a psychology lab
Pakistani student organization board member
about 250 hours of volunteering in ER
about 150-200 hours of volunteering with an organization that helps build schools in Pakistan
about 25 hours of shadowing an MD surgeon (no letter tho)

and so far I do not have any letters. I actually do not know who to go to for letters :-s Neither do I have my PS done but I plan to apply by mid-end July.

Also, I am a michigan resident and I plan on applying to only one school...MSU COM.

I know my chances of MD are close to nothing. But I would love to get into MSU-COM. It makes it easier that I am in-state but I still feel my gpa/mcat are way low.

I would appreciate if you guys could comment on my chances at this school. I would especially like to hear from people who got into MSU COM.

Thanks.

I think you are really limiting your chances by only applying to MSU-COM. Their average stats are ~3.5 cGPA and 26-27 MCAT. If you are dead set at applying to just MSU-COM I would think about an MCAT retake. Of course you could just "roll the dice" and hope you are one of the below average students taken, but I for one wouldn't feel comfortable putting myself in that situation.

Ya it was awesome! I just got lucky. I won a scholarship in California that paid for me to fly there and ball boy. If anybody wants to do it, there is a try-out in New York every summer. There is always one or two old guys (30s/40s) who ends up working as a ball boy (ball man? lol)...so don't ever think you are too old to enjoy some tennis from the best seat in the house. example:
n2520616_39328480_8016.jpg

Anyone see the seinfeld where kramer was a ball man?

It can be accessed here:

I believe that website works best if your stats are balanced. It also doesn't take into account a variety of other things. For example, my MCAT is high, my GPA is dreadfully low. According to this I am "very competitive" at every DO school and "competitive" at almost every MD school. Even if I enter 1.7GPA with my MCAT I'm still "very competitive" at most DO schools somehow.

Basically, the best predictor is the MD predictor that is posted in their what are my chances forum that tries to take into account everything. The problem is that DO schools do not release the depth of statistics that the MSAR has for MD schools so it is harder to quantify. Because DO schools take into account more than just numbers it really is difficult to say where an applicant is competitive. I'd say if you are far above one average (GPA/MCAT) or are right around the averages you are competitive. What will set you apart are your life experiences and ECs and this more than anything else can lead to your acceptance/rejection.

Hi guys,

You should be fine for any DO school and still competitive for many MD. As far as additional schools I would recommend looking at the individual schools to see if you like the feel, and read about them here in SDN.

Remember that most DO applicants shine when it comes to ECs. I agree though that with your numbers you should be good to go. Just apply broadly and you'll likely be able to get into an MD program.

For MD, I think my GPA is amazing especially my sGPA. MCAT not so much. And ECs are ****. But I do think I have a chance to get in MD but the whole application cycle is crapshoot to b honest and there is no guarantee.

As for DO, I think I have much better chance. Thanks for listing those schools. I ll probably apply there unless someone has better option

I'm studying to take the MCAT at the end of July but I have to take 1 summer class to get a LOR: Should I take

Biology I: Positives: would be a retake from a C+(would help on application) Easier Professor/Material
Negatives: 18 hours in class time a week

Genetics: Positives: 13 hours in class per week. May have to take to get into certain schools anyways.
Negatives: Harder Professor/Material.

cGpa 3.35 Science 3:05

Any advice is appreciated!~

Also, which do you think would help more on the MCAT?

I'm studying to take the MCAT at the end of July but I have to take 1 summer class to get a LOR: Should I take

Biology I: Positives: would be a retake from a C+(would help on application) Easier Professor/Material
Negatives: 18 hours in class time a week

Genetics: Positives: 13 hours in class per week. May have to take to get into certain schools anyways.
Negatives: Harder Professor/Material.

cGpa 3.35 Science 3:05

Any advice is appreciated!~

Also, which do you think would help more on the MCAT?

I don't know how other ppl feel about re-taking a C+ but I would take Bio 1; but you have to get an A

The average GPA/MCAT for entering DO students are 3.48 (Overall), 3.35 (Science), and 26.19 MCAT. http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2011cib/2011cib-p12-15.pdf

What are the call numbers of the classes? Is bio 100 level and genetics 300 level?

Bio is 010
Genetics is 128

They have the same lecture amount, Bio just has two 3 hour labs a week.