**2010-2011** "What are my Chances? Where Should I apply? What should I do?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I gotta agree with the last 2 posters. A 5 is waaay too low. 7 minimum

Members don't see this ad.

ooh, i never made an official what are my chances post here! :$

ok here i go:

cGPA: 3.59 (not taken full course loads; not taken orgo 2 and english.)
sGPA : ~3.2

MCAT: 30S : 8/10/12 V/B/P
vol/EC: 6 months as RA/shadowing; 1 year high school tutoring (during 3rd year); exec of 2 cultural clubs for a semester each; brain day vol; volunteering with few uni clubs; peer tutor 1st year; office assistant for a private school; cancer relay;hospital general vol 2months; call centre customer rep 2 months. note-taker.

graduated last summer; possible reapplicant for a few schools (MSU;PCOM).

hey guys, i really want to go into DO school, so planning a bit earlier
m going into 3rd yr now ...
m taking MCAT in upcoming summer. I got a 25 in Kaplan Diagnostics. So hopefully after taking the kaplan course, will be able to aim for a 33.
cgpa till now: 3.2
I m planning on repeating 4 courses, worth of half-a year. Does anyone know what is the limit of repeated courses being counted in the DO application?
Repeating courses really boosts up the gpa.
I have researched individually for 4 years, and am about to publish a paper.
few hundred hours in ER, currently doing clinical in neuro-surgical dept. Am shadowing an MD right now + will be shadowing a DO for few months this year as well.
So any tips on where to apply?
from my bro's experience, as long as I submit my application on the 1st date the application process begins in may, they tend to accept as long as we meet the minimum requirements.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
got around 8 month of clinical research at a big research group
observed 10 surgical procedures
EMT Basic
Plenty of shadowing

no DO shadowing yet, which I plan on doing starting next month.

8PS/11V/10B

main DO school I want to get in is TCOM because it is close to home. Do I have a shot at TCOM? my TMDSAS GPA would be around 3.5/3.3 I believe. Retook 1x class which was intro to Bio from C to A, made 2 Cs in entire college career, but there were plenty of Bs as my GPA would indicate.

got around 8 month of clinical research at a big research group
observed 10 surgical procedures
EMT Basic
Plenty of shadowing

no DO shadowing yet, which I plan on doing starting next month.

8PS/11V/10B

main DO school I want to get in is TCOM because it is close to home. Do I have a shot at TCOM? my TMDSAS GPA would be around 3.5/3.3 I believe. Retook 1x class which was intro to Bio from C to A, made 2 Cs in entire college career, but there were plenty of Bs as my GPA would indicate.
If that's the score without retakes, you have a decent shot at TCOM because you're in state. It's so damn cheap too. Lucky for those that attend.

2.7 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
9 PS 9 VR 8 BS Q
4 years Coast Guard
1 year ER research

i'm applying to TX schools and broadly, but truly hoping for TCOM. I'm wondering if I have a shot at an interview there.

2.7 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
9 PS 9 VR 8 BS Q
4 years Coast Guard
1 year ER research

i'm applying to TX schools and broadly, but truly hoping for TCOM. I'm wondering if I have a shot at an interview there.
Any reason for that 2.7? That's what will hurt you the most. I think your chances are low. I really think you should reconsider applying until you can pump that to at least a 3.0.

Not sure who all reads this massive thread but I am trying to decide what to do.
AACOMAS cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.66. MCAT: 23Q (9p, 8v, 6b).

I am retaking my MCAT may 21st and have been averaging 29 on AAMC practice. I am a des moines native wanting to go to DMU. I am applying this cycle to only DO schools in the area. I want to get in early. My question is should I just submit everything on june 1st or should I wait until my new mcat? Should I apply to one in the beginning and wait? I will apply to about 5 total. I am a nontrad and am geographically limited. My PS mentions an interest in peds and my app makes a mention of my interest in brural medicine.. what should I do?

Or just apply without retaking mcat (that'd be sweet, but I am gonna retake it).

Not sure who all reads this massive thread but I am trying to decide what to do.
AACOMAS cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.66. MCAT: 23Q (9p, 8v, 6b).

I am retaking my MCAT may 21st and have been averaging 29 on AAMC practice. I am a des moines native wanting to go to DMU. I am applying this cycle to only DO schools in the area. I want to get in early. My question is should I just submit everything on june 1st or should I wait until my new mcat? Should I apply to one in the beginning and wait? I will apply to about 5 total. I am a nontrad and am geographically limited. My PS mentions an interest in peds and my app makes a mention of my interest in brural medicine.. what should I do?

Or just apply without retaking mcat (that'd be sweet, but I am gonna retake it).

If you're averaging 29 on the upper numbered aamc's that's a good estimate as to how you'll do on the actual test. I averaged a 29 on 7, 8, 9, and 10 and got 29 on the real thing.

I would submit everything as soon as you feel it's as complete and accurate as possible. Also I would apply to more than 5 schools because you'll want the work you put into your essays on AACOMAS to be read by more adcoms. You want as many options as possible. I applied to SOMA about 4 days before the deadline and it turned out to be my only acceptance so far and I'm so happy I decided to go ahead and submit my app to them. My main regret this past cycle was not applying earlier and more broadly to OOS schools. I applied only to in state schools and waited until November to apply out of state. I got zero interviews in state and interviewed 3 for 3 OOS lol. If you're limited on application funds pick the ones you can objectively say you will be likely to get an interview at. Although with your GPA and if you score at least 27 on the mcat you'll likely interview at most DO schools.

Another good thing about applying to more schools is interview experience. Even if you're not particularly interested in some schools you apply to, at least you may get to let out those first interview anxieties on a school you don't mind messing up at. Your GPA is great I think you'll have several options with a higher mcat and applying as early as you are. Good luck!

2.7 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
9 PS 9 VR 8 BS Q
4 years Coast Guard
1 year ER research

I was REALLY pulling for TCOM as well this last cycle and even had a good LOR from a practicing TCOM alumni. I have 3.27o, 3.2s, and 29N. I also sent a letter of interest with no luck. What sucks about TCOM is that they end up filling a lot of their class with MD applicants who happen to only match there. They're a tough school to get into for the average DO applicant.

I was REALLY pulling for TCOM as well this last cycle and even had a good LOR from a practicing TCOM alumni. I have 3.27o, 3.2s, and 29N. I also sent a letter of interest with no luck. What sucks about TCOM is that they end up filling a lot of their class with MD applicants who happen to only match there. They're a tough school to get into for the average DO applicant.
damn. I am a bit torn on out of state schools because of the Hazelwood act covering my tuition as a vet. Even 2-3 years of waiting is worth it, i'd save a boat load of money by not going oos. I know the other argument is go wherever you get into, but man, just thinking of being tuition free would be a tremendous stress relief.

I'm not too rushed, i still have over a year of undergrad to finish my science degree. At this point it's a marathon for me. I can't change what I did to my GPA 9 years ago, but I can shape where I go from here.

Last edited:
damn. I am a bit torn on out of state schools because of the Hazelwood act covering my tuition as a vet. Even 2-3 years of waiting is worth it, i'd save a boat load of money by not going oos. I know the other argument is go wherever you get into, but man, just thinking of being tuition free would be a tremendous stress relief.

I'm not too rushed, i still have over a year of undergrad to finish my science degree. At this point it's a marathon for me. I can't change what I did to my GPA 9 years ago, but I can shape where I go from here.

That's understandable, does it cover all tuition and does it require you to be an in-state applicant? Yeah being tuition free would be awesome, but 2-3 years of being a practicing physician could make up for not having it covered. Yeah I killed my GPA in my first 2 years of undergrad. It's tough to recover from that.

Good Evening SDN'ers!

Hope everyone is having a great night. I was wondering if you guys and girls out there could give me some advice. I am a Mexican American Male, first in my family to attend and graduate from college. I attended community college first and transferred to UC Berkeley and graduated with a bachelor of science in Molecular Environmental Biology.

My cGPA is 3.09 and my sGPA is 2.9
I have been a member of the American Medical Student Association for 5 years, a member of the Biology Scholars Program (for URM's) for 2 years, I have volunteered at a Nursing home, Attended Medical Conferences, Graded/Tutored for Organic Chemistry, and I have experience volunteering with children. I have worked for several different state departments that deal primarily with the environment and human health.

I am planning on taking some biology courses at my old CC (courses such as anatomy and physiology, microbiology, etc). I have an interview to volunteer at a local hospital and I am going to be applying for a surgical internship program this fall which is ran through my chapter of AMSA. I then plan on attending a Post Bacc program at one of the UC schools designated for URM's which will prepare me for the MCAT (which I have been studying for) as well as offer me a chance to boost my GPA with upper div courses. With all of these I plan on applying in 2013 to hopefully be matriculated in 2014. I just want to know what kind of shot I have.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Evening SDN'ers!

Hope everyone is having a great night. I was wondering if you guys and girls out there could give me some advice. I am a Mexican American Male, first in my family to attend and graduate from college. I attended community college first and transferred to UC Berkeley and graduated with a bachelor of science in Molecular Environmental Biology.

My cGPA is 3.09 and my sGPA is 2.9
I have been a member of the American Medical Student Association for 5 years, a member of the Biology Scholars Program (for URM's) for 2 years, I have volunteered at a Nursing home, Attended Medical Conferences, Graded/Tutored for Organic Chemistry, and I have experience volunteering with children. I have worked for several different state departments that deal primarily with the environment and human health.

I am planning on taking some biology courses at my old CC (courses such as anatomy and physiology, microbiology, etc). I have an interview to volunteer at a local hospital and I am going to be applying for a surgical internship program this fall which is ran through my chapter of AMSA. I then plan on attending a Post Bacc program at one of the UC schools designated for URM's which will prepare me for the MCAT (which I have been studying for) as well as offer me a chance to boost my GPA with upper div courses. With all of these I plan on applying in 2013 to hopefully be matriculated in 2014. I just want to know what kind of shot I have.

Thanks!

Well it's hard to say what your chances are without an MCAT score or projected MCAT score at least. I think with your GPA though if you can retake some classes to get it up and then score around a 26 on your MCAT I think you'll be fine if you apply early and broadly. Personally I wouldn't do a Post bacc until I atleast applied once because it's a lot of money to spend when you may not need it. If you feel like you need it to prepare for the MCAT then okay but pretty much all that's on there is learned from pre-reqs.

Good luck and you did a great job with all the volunteering. Make sure to get in and shadow some osteopathic physicians in the year before you apply.

Possible option. Apply to one school June 1. One that is not your top pick. This gets your application verified. Re-take your mcat in July. Get your score, if it is favorable. Release it . It will take aacomas about a week to update your application before it will show as an "official score". Then release to your top picks from that point. Otherwise,
you run the risk of being weeded out if you submit without the score that you want, even if you check the box saying that you are re-taking.This may help you keep on track with timing in the application process, which as we know is precious.
Just a thought.

This is the second time I've heard this strategy. I have two science retakes this summer (had C's, will get A's), which should raise my cum and sci GPA considerably. Meanwhile, I'll be studying for my first MCAT scheduled on 8/19. Getting the MCAT score back and then having it verified as an official score will take a month, so late September. That's kinda pushing it. Is it even possible to get "verified" without an official MCAT score? What would you guys do?

24 Q (retaking) this is my second cycle:
3.4 gpa, 3.3 sci
leadership in 2 clubs, hospital volunteer +2yrs, shelter volunteer, crap tons research (5yrs), 1 pub+posters, i applied to DO last cycle, no love from anyone!

This is the second time I've heard this strategy. I have two science retakes this summer (had C's, will get A's), which should raise my cum and sci GPA considerably. Meanwhile, I'll be studying for my first MCAT scheduled on 8/19. Getting the MCAT score back and then having it verified as an official score will take a month, so late September. That's kinda pushing it. Is it even possible to get "verified" without an official MCAT score? What would you guys do?

Yes it is possible to get verified without an official MCAT score. The verification is mainly making sure the grades you inputted match what your transcripts say. You can submit your application earlier this summer with planned retakes and planned MCAT on the application and get verified. That way you don't have to wait to get verified once your MCAT score gets in you just need to release te score to AACOMAS and resubmit your transcripts.

It will be beneficial to you because verification can take a couple weeks or more it varies. You can submit to just the one school or you can submit to the schools you are applying to that send secondaries to all applicants because that way you will receive the secondaries and can fill them out ahead of time. You can always add more schools on as time goes by as well.

Could I get some insight into how I might fare for DO schools like Western PCOM, and Touro-CA? Also, would I have an outside chance at some M.D.'s like Loma Linda, Tulane, or Drexel?

CA resident at mid-tier UC
3.5cGPA (~3.6 Freshman, 3.0 Sophomore, 3.85 Junior)
3.5sGPA

30Q MCAT (P9 V9 B12)

EC's strongly favor service over research, including outreach to the homeless and advocacy work on their behalf. Research is very limited to one quarter.

Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Could I get some insight into how I might fare for DO schools like Western PCOM, and Touro-CA? Also, would I have an outside chance at some M.D.'s like Loma Linda, Tulane, or Drexel?

3.5sGPA

30Q MCAT (P9 V9 B12)

EC's strongly favor service over research, including outreach to the homeless and advocacy work on their behalf. Research is very limited to one quarter.

Stats look great. I think you'll do fine at the DO schools. As far as MDs I don't know only applied DO.

3.5sGPA

30Q MCAT (P9 V9 B12)

The lack of research will probably hurt you for MDs. They like seeing research, almost everyone that applies practically has a year at least. This will put you at a disadvantage. Your chances for DO are very good though.

24 Q (retaking) this is my second cycle:
3.4 gpa, 3.3 sci
leadership in 2 clubs, hospital volunteer +2yrs, shelter volunteer, crap tons research (5yrs), 1 pub+posters, i applied to DO last cycle, no love from anyone!

I would attribute no love last cycle to your MCAT score and maybe not so great interviews? The sGPA could be better, as well as the cGPA, but if you up your MCAT by a couple points and do well during interviews I don't see why you wouldn't get an acceptance this time around. Good luck

Well it's hard to say what your chances are without an MCAT score or projected MCAT score at least. I think with your GPA though if you can retake some classes to get it up and then score around a 26 on your MCAT I think you'll be fine if you apply early and broadly. Personally I wouldn't do a Post bacc until I atleast applied once because it's a lot of money to spend when you may not need it. If you feel like you need it to prepare for the MCAT then okay but pretty much all that's on there is learned from pre-reqs.

Good luck and you did a great job with all the volunteering. Make sure to get in and shadow some osteopathic physicians in the year before you apply.

Thank you very much! On some practice MCAT's I've taken I've been in the high 20's (28/29). I am sort of stuck right now actually and maybe you can offer some more excellent advice.

I was planning on taking microbiology over the summer (never took it, thought if I got an A in it it would help my gpa) but it is 5 hours a day mon-thurs. I wanted to work and save some money this summer. I am planning on retaking Cell Biology (received a C the first time around) and my Calculus I course (also received a C) within the next few semesters.

I was going to take a different series of calculus but i was wondering what would be more advantageous- to retake the course I received an A in or take this new series?
And is the micro course worth taking over the summer?

Thanks! :D
(PS- I am taking these courses at the CC I originally went to before transferring)

How bad are my chances with my gpa?:

Overall: 3.439
Science: 3.144

Major: Evolutionary Anthropology
Minor 1: Nutrition
Minor 2: Biology

Taking MCATS September 1st

I graduated with a B.S. last week

How bad are my chances with my gpa?:

Overall: 3.439
Science: 3.144

Major: Evolutionary Anthropology
Minor 1: Nutrition
Minor 2: Biology

Taking MCATS September 1st

I graduated with a B.S. last week

Your cGPA is fine, but your sGPA is low especially if you aren't taking your MCAT until September. With a September MCAT you won't get your scores until October and wont be complete at the schools until probably November and that is applying late with your sGPA. It starts to get more competitive later on and with your sGPA it isn't making you as competitive. What's your MCAT range?

Yeah Rutgers doesn't give out A-'s so I have many science classes with B+'s and at Rutgers they are weighed as 3.5 but the D.O. schools view it as 3.3... It lowers my sgpa and also I took a hit sophomore year with research (5 credits) and got a C, my dad had cancer that year and passed away... i am stuck taking MCAT late and I am starting to study soon with kaplan and examkrackers which i heard are the best ways.

So under the "Work Experiences" section, for "Descriptions" do we list it then or do essay format? 2 people have said 2 diff things!