2010 Acceptance & Waitlist Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone who interviewed at George Washington (clinical PhD) know when we're supposed to be hearing about a decision? The suspense is killing me!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone hear from Yeshiva's combined clinical/school psy d program? I know of a few people that received acceptances. Starting to think I will not get it.

As of right now, I have three potential options for Clinical Ph.D. programs.

Option #1: Offered admission early in the game, great climate, beautiful school, great potential advisors and peers, students seem happy, exciting city life with lots to offer, guaranteed (and impressive) financial package for the duration of my time there. The faculty I would work with are respected in their field and are published in respectable journals. The research interests me and would be considered a pretty good fit if option 2 wasn't there... It's a school with a great reputation but with a very new clinical psych program. So far, 5/5 have been accepted to APA internship sites, but it's hard to tell the outcomes when only 1 has graduated the program so far. I think I would be the most happy in this "place," but the research is not as intrinsically interesting to me.

Option #2: This program is perfect when it comes to my research interests. It integrates two areas in ways that I haven't seen anywhere else. Plenty of opportunities for research and publishing in an area I am really interested in and would like to study throughout my life (it's a more focused niche than the 1st program), with other students to collaborate with. I don't percieve the school or program to be all that prestigious, but the faculty members are some of the best in their area. The clinical training appears to be more diverse than at option 1, with a greater variety of methods learned (more than assessment and CBT). The weather there is pretty awful at times, and the surrounding area is much less than ideal. The financial package is a little iffy- they were more vague about the amount (which is smaller than the other school). It's not completely guaranteed for 4 years, but all previous students have been what they consider fully funded for their entire time there. This program would probably prepare me best for my specific area of interest (but I hope I can get a job in the specific area).

Option #3: This is a sufficiently prestigious school, with a long history of quality training. They want me to come for an interview but do not offer financial help with the travel costs. The research emphasis is not exactly my area of interest. I am debating whether it is worth going, but others would probably think me crazy not to jump at the chance... This program would probably be the best choice in order to be marketable.

I want to work in academia, so research experience is very important, but I also want experience in a variety of clinical orientations. If I could combine the location and school of #1 with the research program and clinical training of #2 with the prestige of #3, I'd have the perfect program for me! Since I'm not magical, I have a lot to think about...

Advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, I have three potential options for Clinical Ph.D. programs.

Option #1: Offered admission early in the game, great climate, beautiful school, great potential advisors and peers, students seem happy, exciting city life with lots to offer, guaranteed (and impressive) financial package for the duration of my time there. The faculty I would work with are respected in their field and are published in respectable journals. The research interests me and would be considered a pretty good fit if option 2 wasn't there... It's a school with a great reputation but with a very new clinical psych program. So far, 5/5 have been accepted to APA internship sites, but it's hard to tell the outcomes when only 1 has graduated the program so far. I think I would be the most happy in this "place," but the research is not as intrinsically interesting to me.

Option #2: This program is perfect when it comes to my research interests. It integrates two areas in ways that I haven't seen anywhere else. Plenty of opportunities for research and publishing in an area I am really interested in and would like to study throughout my life (it's a more focused niche than the 1st program), with other students to collaborate with. I don't percieve the school or program to be all that prestigious, but the faculty members are some of the best in their area. The clinical training appears to be more diverse than at option 1, with a greater variety of methods learned (more than assessment and CBT). The weather there is pretty awful at times, and the surrounding area is much less than ideal. The financial package is a little iffy- they were more vague about the amount (which is smaller than the other school). It's not completely guaranteed for 4 years, but all previous students have been what they consider fully funded for their entire time there. This program would probably prepare me best for my specific area of interest (but I hope I can get a job in the specific area).

Option #3: This is a sufficiently prestigious school, with a long history of quality training. They want me to come for an interview but do not offer financial help with the travel costs. The research emphasis is not exactly my area of interest. I am debating whether it is worth going, but others would probably think me crazy not to jump at the chance... This program would probably be the best choice in order to be marketable.

I want to work in academia, so research experience is very important, but I also want experience in a variety of clinical orientations. If I could combine the location and school of #1 with the research program and clinical training of #2 with the prestige of #3, I'd have the perfect program for me! Since I'm not magical, I have a lot to think about...

Advice?

Take the following opinion with a grain of salt, since I'm also in the application stage and don't have a ton of first-hand knowledge yet.

First of all, it sounds like you have three great options, so congrats on that!

If academia is your main goal, I think #2 sounds like your best option. It sounds like the research there matches your interests in a very specific way that the others don't, which is important if this is going to be a major part of your career. Given that this school also has the combination if clinical training that you're looking for, it sounds pretty perfect. I can definitely understand why you're concerned about the prestige of the school, and that's definitely something worth taking into consideration, but if the researchers that you would be working with are well respected in that particular field, it seems like a fairly safe bet.

That being said, it's probably still worth going for the interview at school #3. I've found that my own perceptions of schools can change pretty dramatically once I visit. Who knows -- you may find out that you love it there.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

Has anyone heard from VCU Counseling PhD program post interview?

If academia is your main goal, I think #2 sounds like your best option. It sounds like the research there matches your interests in a very specific way that the others don't, which is important if this is going to be a major part of your career. Given that this school also has the combination if clinical training that you're looking for, it sounds pretty perfect. I can definitely understand why you're concerned about the prestige of the school, and that's definitely something worth taking into consideration, but if the researchers that you would be working with are well respected in that particular field, it seems like a fairly safe bet.

That being said, it's probably still worth going for the interview at school #3. I've found that my own perceptions of schools can change pretty dramatically once I visit. Who knows -- you may find out that you love it there.

While making my decision I've stuggled with the "prestige" versus "fit" issue with a couple schools too. I wonder if prestige might be partly manufactured and maintained my sports team popularity and undergradute school reputaion. I think that for Psychology PhD programs research training fit should be weighed more heavily than any other factor. I'm also a recently admitted student; maybe a senior grad student or professor could give the best advice?

I heard from American on 3/3 by phone call.

Advice?

Are you okay with the funding at school #2? If so, I agree that it sounds like that choice would serve you the best. Prestige is an important consideration when academia is your ultimate goal, but with respected faculty, that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone heard from Yeshiva's PsyD clinical program yet? Anyone accepted yet?? Please PM me if you dont want to tell anyone (for any reason). I just am going a bit cookoo waiting and not knowing. I keep telling myself that I need to stop refreshing the SDN and get back to my tests/papers that need to be written... so far not really working...

Umm, I don't mean to sound ungrateful (because finding this site has made waiting much more tolerable) but did PhdClinical just abandon her/his thread? This hasn't been updated in a week.

I got into University of Miami Counseling Psych Ph.D. program!! It was one of my top choices so I'm so excited!

Umm, I don't mean to sound ungrateful (because finding this site has made waiting much more tolerable) but did PhdClinical just abandon her/his thread? This hasn't been updated in a week.

I am wondering the same thing...one week feels like a lot since we are really starting to get into decisions season.

I am wondering the same thing...one week feels like a lot since we are really starting to get into decisions season.

Just saying, I WAS going to start this thread originally, and Im on this silly site every day! oh well hindsight

Members don't see this ad :)
I JUST GOT INTO CASE WESTERN RESERVE!!! :D (I got a call from my POI).

Alright I sense that today or sometime this week is when the rest of the UNL acceptances will come out... silly slow faculty! :)

Thanks.... cause one way or the other I will try to find out lol, 3 week rule now its time to email the POI

He seemed like a pretty nice guy, I can't imagine him having a problem with it. This is the time of year the system gets all bogged down by people holding acceptances while waiting for word on another acceptance that someone else is holding while waiting for...

He seemed like a pretty nice guy, I can't imagine him having a problem with it. This is the time of year the system gets all bogged down by people holding acceptances while waiting for word on another acceptance that someone else is holding while waiting for...

Well it doesnt help that he interviewed 3 people for spots and none of us 3 have heard yet... so yeah kind of interesting. He warned it could take up to 3 weeks because of sorting funding out etc.

I'd be happy to take it over, if it comes to that. After all, I've managed a thread before. ;)

I'd be happy to take it over, if it comes to that. After all, I've managed a thread before. ;)

Also, if it helps, I could start doing waitlists over at my "blues" thread and we could leave this thread for acceptances.

ditto. i'm on here daily.

problem is we can't "take over" the thread - only the original person can modify that first post, so we would have to start an entirely new thread...

matter of fact, let me do that now...if T4C wants to thump me, he can, but this more than a week without updating thing just isn't working...

Did anyone on here hear from Alabama Psych & Law yet?

You applied to it? I heard that 2 of the 3 Psych-Law profs have extended acceptances, but not my POI!!

P.S. I never went to Montana because it was too expensive!

My concern is people who have PM'ed him/her results..we have no access to that....

matter of fact, let me do that now...if T4C wants to thump me, he can, but this more than a week without updating thing just isn't working...

:laugh:

I almost never read this thread, but I figured I'd pop in and I happened to see this. My first post at #777.

The problem with starting a new thread is that it will get confusing to have this open. What I can do is lock this thread, put a link over to your thread, and you would just need to copy over the 1st post with the updates over to your thread, but now you can update to your heart's content. Deal?

:laugh:

I almost never read this thread, but I figured I'd pop in and I happened to see this. My first post at #777.

The problem with starting a new thread is that it will get confusing to have this open. What I can do is lock this thread, put a link over to your thread, and you would just need to copy over the 1st post with the updates over to your thread, but now you can update to your heart's content. Deal?

sounds good, and that's what i've already done. i'll also pull the updates that are in this thread in a little bit - gotta go to a work meeting now...

I just got a call from SUNY Albany from my POI offering me a place. It was my number one choice after the interview this weekend! Plus this is my second time applying. It all paid off! THANK GOD! I am so happy

Status
Not open for further replies.