This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepsyd9

Reaction score
I am currently in the admissions process for PsyD programs. The only acceptance I have received so far is with Adler in Chicago. However, I just received an offer for the alternate list at Mercer University. Im conflicted because I have to give a final decision to Adler on May 19th with a deposit. Im worried because Adler was my last resort safety choice and I've heard some criticisms about their program so I'm not ready to give up Mercer for this program. I have no other options at this point besides these two programs. Does anyone have any more insight into Adler's PsyD program? Or does anyone have experience with getting of an alternate list at a school and know the likelihood of this happening? Honestly just very stressed and overwhelmed considering I have to move out of state for both schools so I'm looking for any and all advice. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have no other options at this point besides these two programs.
Do you have to enroll in a PsyD program this upcoming fall? Do you have the option of declining and then trying to improve your CV and try getting into a better PsyD/PhD (one with partial or full funding or better outcomes and cheaper tuition) during the next app cycle?

Sometimes I will pay a 450% markup for a small bottle of ibuprofen from Walgreens because it's the only thing open in the middle of the night and I can't/don't want to wait until morning. But most of the time, I will bypass it.

Since Adler was your last resort safety, it sounds like you've done your homework and have a sense of their less than ideal program outcomes and astronomical price tag (that then adds onto sky high cost of living in Chicago).

For my n=1 personal experience, I did a prac which had an Adler Chicago intern. They were nice and seemed competent enough. But in order to secure this APA internship at a non-competitive site that almost always goes into Phase 2, they had to move to a podunk town in the deep South (against their personal preference I'm sure since they were a total city person, likely because they probably weren't competitive elsewhere).

Last I heard, they were back in Chicago doing private practice therapy, which to be honest, they could have achieved with an LCSW/MFT/LPC at a fraction of the cost and time commitment.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer:
https://chp.mercer.edu/academics-departments/clinical-psychology/psyd-program/curriculum/
$1079/credit x 100 credits = $107,900

Adler:
Tuition Estimator | Adler University
$205,566

I'd hold out for Mercer if you're going to choose, but neither of these programs are worth moving for, IMHO.
Chicago is a great town, but it's not cheap. Add on another $100,000 minimum for living expenses and that's at poverty line-level living.

What's the use of living there when you can't really afford to take advantage of all the things that make it fun and unique? The only saving grace is the public transit system which would help with transportation costs a little. I would only go to grad school in Chicago if I was at a fully funded program.

Reactions: 2 users
Chicago is a great town, but it's not cheap. Add on another $100,000 minimum for living expenses and that's at poverty line-level living.

C'mon! A studio very far away from the L will only set you back like $700/mo. I'm sure very the generous folks at Adler have ubiquitous housing scholarships.

C'mon! A studio very far away from the L will only set you back like $700/mo. I'm sure very the generous folks at Adler have ubiquitous housing scholarships.
The only places I can think of with studios for even $800 are places I wouldn't recommend to a non-native Chicagoan or are basically Evanston or another suburb.

There's some decent spots right outside the Orange Line to get to Midway that can't be super expensive and USED to be safe back when I would visit my dad in the 90s. Not sure how they fare today though.

I am currently in the admissions process for PsyD programs. The only acceptance I have received so far is with Adler in Chicago. However, I just received an offer for the alternate list at Mercer University. Im conflicted because I have to give a final decision to Adler on May 19th with a deposit. Im worried because Adler was my last resort safety choice and I've heard some criticisms about their program so I'm not ready to give up Mercer for this program. I have no other options at this point besides these two programs. Does anyone have any more insight into Adler's PsyD program? Or does anyone have experience with getting of an alternate list at a school and know the likelihood of this happening? Honestly just very stressed and overwhelmed considering I have to move out of state for both schools so I'm looking for any and all advice. Thanks :)
I dont have much info on the programs but just because you accept and give a deposit does not mean you are legally bound to anything. Adler is not going to prosecute you for backing out if you get an acceptance somewhere else. If you want to hold your spot at Adler you can do that. You can also defer admission to next year if you want (if Adler allows).

Look up like Chatham or Garfield Park, I bet you can find something. You probably don't want to actually live there though!
Like I said, not sure I would recommend Garfield Park to a non-native Chicagoan and it's funny you mention Chatham. I did a quick Google earlier to make sure I was updated on my sense of rental prices and one in Chatham was nearly $600, but there were no appliances at all and they had quite a few stipulations, like wanting two years of continuous employment at the same employer.

Like I said, not sure I would recommend Garfield Park to a non-native Chicagoan and it's funny you mention Chatham. I did a quick Google earlier to make sure I was updated on my sense of rental prices and one in Chatham was nearly $600, but there were no appliances at all and they had quite a few stipulations, like wanting two years of continuous employment at the same employer.

I think you're losing sight of the overall point.

Look up like Chatham or Garfield Park, I bet you can find something. You probably don't want to actually live there though!
Seems like a safe place. What could go wrong?

I remember moving to a different city for grad school and looking at a cheap apartment where a drug deal was going down in the parking lot and the rather scary looking resident on the first floor told me not to go upstairs to the apartment in question. Never even made in the apartment before leaving. Turns out there were a few shootings in broad daylight in the area as well. Fun times. I don't miss that.

Reactions: 1 user
Where else did you apply? Any chance you'd be open to reapplying next year for a chance at a better school? Mercer is better than Adler but neither are super great.

Reactions: 2 users