2010 Penn Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did your status page say?

• Tier 1 + invite to Penn preview

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Tier 1 + you will be considered for admission very early

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • "Regular" Tier 1

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • Tier 2

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's official Penn has started using their waitlist. Someone I know indirectly (friend of a friend) got in (saw as a status update on fbook, ha).

**sigh**

Maybe they were a "Top of Tier 1" or invited to preview. I think most of the waitlist movement started at the earliest May 13th last year. Most people will wait until next week to withdraw everywhere (I know, I am). I've actually talked to some students still debating Penn vs. elsewhere.

Woot! Page 4.

Members don't see this ad.

6 days until waitlist movement started last year, just a FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what did we decide was the best title to address Gaye Sheffler. Ms. Sheffler or Director Sheffler...?

Keep your conversations in one thread! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right, I won't get in the way...:oops:

Interesting note: Of the 24 people who have updated their mdapps as accepted, 6 listed that they were attending and 7 listed as not matriculating. 11 did not update with their decision, but many has very good competing options like JHU, Duke, Harvard.

So even though it seems everyone on the main thread is attending, there may be some spots. But I wonder how much they over-accept pre-waitlist. I doubt they do by a lot since they have such a high yield.

Just a FYI (but don't expect anything). First real "string" of phone calls from the waitlist went out today (May 13th) last year.

Good luck everybody!! I kinda wish I had applied to UPenn, but I for some reason I decided against it a while ago.

somehow i feel like we would have heard something from somebody if they began a mass pulling haha

somehow i feel like we would have heard something from somebody if they began a mass pulling haha

true that! now the question is--- have we not heard because they haven't pulled from the wait list YET, or because they didn't receive enough withdrawals to need to pull massively from the wait list?

:scared:

true that! now the question is--- have we not heard because they haven't pulled from the wait list YET, or because they didn't receive enough withdrawals to need to pull massively from the wait list?

:scared:

hate to be the creeper haha, but ur mdapps said you withdrew from penn?

haha no, my mdapps is just really messed up and i gave up on it. i withdrew from duke, and it registered as penn. i am on a few waitlists, but penn is my top choice and i will definitely go if i get in.

big if haha

i also got into drexel, then withdrew. withdrew from rwj as well, but mdapplicants refuses to recognize any of the reality of my situation -_-

Does anyone know if we are contacted by phone or email? I think some people have suggested it is by phone, but I am not certain.

It's been by phone in the past. I'm sort of worried that Penn is fully enrolled by now and that there might not be movement this year. (Or...all the movement has already happened).

It's been by phone in the past. I'm sort of worried that Penn is fully enrolled by now and that there might not be movement this year. (Or...all the movement has already happened).

you think they'd tell us if that were the case? like... if someone calls tomorrow to ask

I don't put too much weight in them saying the class is full anyway. There are many interpretations of that, and really there can still be movement (or not). All we can do is continue to keep our phones on full volume and frustrate everyone around us with each incoming call.

I called yesterday and the woman I talked to said that there has been no waitlist movement. She said that they are still reconciling the class.

I don't what to make off this because people have definitely been taken from the waitlist (as seen from mdapps facebook etc)

I called yesterday and the woman I talked to said that there has been no waitlist movement. She said that they are still reconciling the class.

I don't what to make off this because people have definitely been taken from the waitlist (as seen from mdapps facebook etc)

Well relatively few offers have gone out. And these could have been students on the "Penn Preview" or "Top of Tier 1" list. Seems odd, but again...I was already worried that there'd be no movement this year at Penn.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's hard to tell. The adcom at Penn seems to have a history of not being entirely honest or transparent about their application process (i.e. denying the existence of different levels within Tier 1, etc.). But we also have to take people's profiles on SDN with a grain of salt.

It would be odd though if there was hardly any WL movement this year. Most likely by "reconciling" they mean they are going through to see who of the accepted students withdrew, and still determining how many they will need to take off the WL. On the other hand, WL movement did start almost a week earlier last year based on SDN, so the silence is unnerving.

I wish they would communicate these things via the status page!

I wonder if things will change on the status page before they call you...like will it suddenly say admitted?

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while and had basically given up hope, but I got an email around noon from Director Sheffler asking me to call her, and after about a twenty minute conversation (NOT an interview) she accepted me!

For those of you waiting, that means there is still hope - just sit tight. I was Tier 1, not invited to Penn Preview (though I don't remember if I would be "considered very early" - I don't think I was). I sent her an email sometime in March and then another one in early May.

Hope this helps - good luck to all of you!

I've been a lurker on this thread for a while and had basically given up hope, but I got an email around noon from Director Sheffler asking me to call her, and after about a twenty minute conversation (NOT an interview) she accepted me!

For those of you waiting, that means there is still hope - just sit tight. I was Tier 1, not invited to Penn Preview (though I don't remember if I would be "considered very early" - I don't think I was). I sent her an email sometime in March and then another one in early May.

Hope this helps - good luck to all of you!

Awww Congrats! Good to know things are at least starting to move.

Maybe I am the only one, but I take mdapps with a grain of salt....many grains of salt.

Maybe I am the only one, but I take mdapps with a grain of salt....many grains of salt.

What's there to take with a grain of salt? I doubt someone would lie if they were taken off the waitlist!

I don't post too often on these threads, but I thought I would let you guys know what happened to me (because this past week, I was also very curious as to if other people were being contacted).

So, it sounds like I received an email similar to the one aquila456 received from Ms. Sheffler. I got mine late yesterday afternoon. I was invited to and attended Penn Preview, so my email was more like her saying "I said I would follow up, so I wanted to make sure we touch base. Give me a call." I phoned Ms. Sheffler this morning, and after discussing my current situation (the school I was currently enrolled, the school I recently got off the waitlist, the weight of finances in my decision, etc.), she basically told me she'd round up a financial aid package for me later today, so I could better assess my decision to go to Penn. I think she also said she would call me, but I was so darn nervous, I don't exactly remember what I/she/he/they said.

I guess it technically wasn't an "acceptance" (and to be quite honest, at points it seemed she was simply following up because she promised she would, since I had attended Preview), but I've also heard schools of doing a very similar thing-- not officially accepting a student until they're quite sure they want to be there. I've heard this plays with their numbers a little bit (skewing their numbers to seem as if they accept a fewer number of students), but I guess this is all hearsay.

Anyways, needless to say, I'm THRILLED. Penn was my top choice for forever. Now, I'm just waiting for the official green light, and I'm almost positively there! But yeah, let me know if you guys have any questions about what happened, etc. This is going to be a tough couple weeks for us all, so haaaaaang in there!

I don't post too often on these threads, but I thought I would let you guys know what happened to me (because this past week, I was also very curious as to if other people were being contacted).

So, it sounds like I received an email similar to the one aquila456 received from Ms. Sheffler. I got mine late yesterday afternoon. I was invited to and attended Penn Preview, so my email was more like her saying "I said I would follow up, so I wanted to make sure we touch base. Give me a call." I phoned Ms. Sheffler this morning, and after discussing my current situation (the school I was currently enrolled, the school I recently got off the waitlist, the weight of finances in my decision, etc.), she basically told me she'd round up a financial aid package for me later today, so I could better assess my decision to go to Penn. I think she also said she would call me, but I was so darn nervous, I don't exactly remember what I/she/he/they said.

I guess it technically wasn't an "acceptance" (and to be quite honest, at points it seemed she was simply following up because she promised she would, since I had attended Preview), but I've also heard schools of doing a very similar thing-- not officially accepting a student until they're quite sure they want to be there. I've heard this plays with their numbers a little bit (skewing their numbers to seem as if they accept a fewer number of students), but I guess this is all hearsay.

Anyways, needless to say, I'm THRILLED. Penn was my top choice for forever. Now, I'm just waiting for the official green light, and I'm almost positively there! But yeah, let me know if you guys have any questions about what happened, etc. This is going to be a tough couple weeks for us all, so haaaaaang in there!

Aww congrats. Looks like you're definitely in if you want it and the financial aid works in your favor.

Maybe Penn is catering to you "high ranked"/Penn Preview invites this year before getting to the rest of us. Still holding out here :) :xf: I've been getting my Philly nostalgia on recently, and realize that I do love living here so much. Although, given I'm not a stats-heavy candidate, I get the sense that my app isn't probably at the top of any piles.

information like this makes me check my email obsessively

Hmmm....So can we assume by now that Penn is officially full this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.