2010 Penn Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did your status page say?

• Tier 1 + invite to Penn preview

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Tier 1 + you will be considered for admission very early

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • "Regular" Tier 1

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • Tier 2

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else get a reply from Gaye? My friend received a nice note back from Gaye (something along the lines of "Hang in there! The waitlist moves in May") and submitted a letter a week after me.

I haven't heard anything...which makes me believe Gaye wasn't too interested in me :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else get a reply from Gaye? My friend received a nice note back from Gaye (something along the lines of "Hang in there! The waitlist moves in May") and submitted a letter a week after me.

I haven't heard anything...which makes me believe Gaye wasn't too interested in me :(.

I bet she just randomly decides which emails to reply to..i'm sure it doesn't mean anything, mdeast. I wouldn't worry about it (although I know that is definitely easier said than done)

mdeast,

I think that if Penn is your #1 choice you should call Gaye and set up an appointment. It is bold and it will really show your interest. Before I applied to med school, I visited a few schools I was thinking of applying to. I was able to meet with Gaye and she was very nice and upfront told me what I needed to do to be more competitive. I did as told and was accepted. From your posts, you seem to be a great candidate. I think it would be good for her to have more than a file to consider once the waitlist starts moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you heard nothing back from Gaye, did it still update on the status page?

Even if you heard nothing back from Gaye, did it still update on the status page?

Yup yup. I got an confirmation email from the admissions office...telling me it had been added to my file and would be reviewed by the committee if the waitlist needs to be used this year.

Where on the status page does it say that your letter was received? I don't see anything on my status page... Thanks!

First page when you login. Under the decision area there's a section called "Updates for Application"

Hey Guys,

So I'm thinking of sending in another letter of recommendation and I'm wondering whether I should ask my recommender to send it directly to Gaye or to the admissions office or to both. What do you guys think?

Hey Guys,

So I'm thinking of sending in another letter of recommendation and I'm wondering whether I should ask my recommender to send it directly to Gaye or to the admissions office or to both. What do you guys think?

I'd say just admissions office. It just needs to be added to your file. They're gonna look at everything again if they decide to take you off the waitlist. I think personal correspondence from you should still be forwarded to Gaye in addition to the general web address. But things like a recommendation should just be added to your file.

Hey Guys,

I had my recommender send it to Gaye and the admissions committee by mail (this is how they said to do it) on letterhead with a real signature, and he just got a notice from her thanking him for sending it in and that my application is still being reviewed etc.etc.

Whats a little strange is that i sent a letter of interest in within a few days of that rec, and i didn't get any specific response, however both show up on my status page.

I don't have this! There is no "decision" link on my status page... and also no "updates." Argh, what is going on here? :confused:

Do people who were invited to preview not have the link also?

I wonder if they specifically do NOT want updates from me, hehe.

First page when you login. Under the decision area there's a section called "Updates for Application"

I don't have this! There is no "decision" link on my status page... and also no "updates." Argh, what is going on here? :confused:

Do people who were invited to preview not have the link also?

I wonder if they specifically do NOT want updates from me, hehe.

By "decision section" I just meant where it tells you your status. Yours should say "Waitlist Tier 1, invited to Preview" or whatever. Below there, pops up another section. It took them a week to add it to my file. So just be patient. It looks something like below:

Updates for Application:

Name Type Insti/Dept Receipt Date
MdEast Applicant update /"I heart Penn" 4/10/2010

I had my recommender send it to Gaye and the admissions committee by mail (this is how they said to do it) on letterhead with a real signature, and he just got a notice from her thanking him for sending it in and that my application is still being reviewed etc.etc.

Whats a little strange is that i sent a letter of interest in within a few days of that rec, and i didn't get any specific response, however both show up on my status page.

what address did you use? You sent two copies? one to Gaye one to adcom?

Members don't see this ad :)

Click on the contact info tab on the status page. All the contact information you need is there.

Did the update you sent to Gaye show up, or just when you sent it to the adcom. Aka I just sent an update to Gaye, should I also forward a copy to the adcom.

Did the update you sent to Gaye show up, or just when you sent it to the adcom. Aka I just sent an update to Gaye, should I also forward a copy to the adcom.

I CCed everything to the general email address. The Waitlist FAQ even states that there's no particular reason to contact Gaye (or any other admissions officer directly). Things will just get added to your file and she'll eventually see everything anyway...whether it's in her inbox or in your file. I'm sure there are many great applicants out there who are on the waitlist, but don't post on SDN and thus, don't know Gaye is the woman to contact.

Still, I'm sending all future updates to Gaye as well. Hopefully she responds next time :)

What's Gaye's title? Is she a MD?

I don't think Gaye is a MD. I think she's just the director of admissions, maybe a higher ed degree? I usually addressed her as Ms. Gaye Sheffler in emails.

Oops. I promoted her to a doctor. But I was responding to her email.

For some reason I was under the impression that Gaye was the admissions person who spoke to my group during the interview day, and I remembered her saying she taught and practiced. But I guess I might have not even met her.

For some reason I was under the impression that Gaye was the admissions person who spoke to my group during the interview day, and I remembered her saying she taught and practiced. But I guess I might have not even met her.

Yeah, I thought that was her too. Anyway...

http://www.med.upenn.edu/student/directories/faq.html

They list physicians with the precursor Dr....so I just assumed she wasn't one.

Yea I will just address her the right way next time. It is still worse to forget to include the Dr title.

Woot. Penn!

Last edited:
This surprises. I actually found the student body to be fairly diverse...and given that this is a Jewish affiliated institution, it's surprising that there would be that sort of intolerance. I think these are isolated incidents of individual members of the school rather than representative of the entire institution.
:confused:

wrong thread? lol

This surprises. I actually found the student body to be fairly diverse...and given that this is a Jewish affiliated institution, it's surprising that there would be that sort of intolerance. I think these are isolated incidents of individual members of the school rather than representative of the entire institution.

how embarrassing...yes. removed.

I gave it by hand, I work on the third floor above suite 100, but the address i put on the envelope was
UPenn SOM Admissions Committee c/o Gaye Sheffler
Suite 100
yada yada yada

there's a Gail Somebody who is involved, that's who talked to us, i think she mentioned she taught...said Gaye was ill the day of my interview

there's a Gail Somebody who is involved, that's who talked to us, i think she mentioned she taught...said Gaye was ill the day of my interview

Ahhh...Gail Morrison I think? She's the curriculum director.

just got back from revisit and heard a stat that "in the last five years, all WLers invited to penn preview eventually got an acceptance." does anyone know if there's a factual basis to that statement?

it seems it would make sense, since there are very few who were invited. And also there is always some movement.

just got back from revisit and heard a stat that "in the last five years, all WLers invited to penn preview eventually got an acceptance." does anyone know if there's a factual basis to that statement?
well if you heard it from the penn admissions people, i doubt we could give you more accurate information than they could.

and at the very least, i don't think there's any info on SDN that contradicts the stat that you heard

well if you heard it from the penn admissions people, i doubt we could give you more accurate information than they could.

and at the very least, i don't think there's any info on SDN that contradicts the stat that you heard

i mean, it wasn't a person on penn admissions. just another fellow WLer. i just didn't really probe into where he got this info. just wondering if anyone could concretely back it up.

Well...all waitlisters invited who ATTENDED preview and expressed continued interest. I'd assume there are some invited who ultimately want to go elsewhere and may either end up not attending re-visit or just enrolling someplace else and withdrawing.

But yes, it says you get first dibs on waitlist spots. I'd imagine it's very unlikely that Penn over-enrolls in the first batch, and at least the 10 or so people invited to Preview will get in as well. I've heard of Tier 1 waitlisters getting in before Penn Preview kids in past year threads, but I think your chances are pretty much in the bag. Assuming it's what you want. Just write gaye a follow up letter, and I'm sure you'll be at the top of her list come movement time.

Hey guys! So penn preview was awesome! I justed wanted to share some basic info with those waitlisted. There were ~180 people there 20 of whom were waitlisted. I seems like 60 people were 100% attending penn next year while the rest were still undecided either because they were waiting for better financial aid or they were waiting to attend second looks at othre schools. Hope this information was helpful! Don't give up hope!

Hey guys! So penn preview was awesome! I justed wanted to share some basic info with those waitlisted. There were ~180 people there 20 of whom were waitlisted. I seems like 60 people were 100% attending penn next year while the rest were still undecided either because they were waiting for better financial aid or they were waiting to attend second looks at othre schools. Hope this information was helpful! Don't give up hope!

Only a 1/3 were decided on attending?! I would have thought it was more than that.

Only a 1/3 were decided on attending?! I would have thought it was more than that.

Of those 60% undecided a lot of them were leaning towards penn. Money seemed to big a huge issue for most....a lot of people got better aid packages at other places. People brought there merit scholarship offer letters to financial aid meetings at penn....new aid offers go out next week supposedly.....

How do they give out so much additional aid? If they had the funds, wouldn't they give them out the first time? Or maybe do they as the university for additional monies. Or just not have any aid left for the wait list.

How do they give out so much additional aid? If they had the funds, wouldn't they give them out the first time? Or maybe do they as the university for additional monies. Or just not have any aid left for the wait list.

Some people with merit scholarships from Penn have already declined admission.....they repackage that money

Where do you think you're going to go Otiose? Did you like Penn Med at the preview? Anything that makes it stand out from other schools (good or bad)? What were the other admits like? I think it will be hard for some of us WLers to make a decision even if we are eventually admitted bc we didn't get an opportunity to meet our future classmates, etc.!

hey, does anyone know how long it should take for an update to show up...my PI sent a letter of rec. for me two weeks ago but the status page hasn't changed and when I e-mailed them today, they said to check the status page.

He sent it to:

University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
Suite 100 Stemmler Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6056

that's the right address right?

thanks in advance!

Where do you think you're going to go Otiose? Did you like Penn Med at the preview? Anything that makes it stand out from other schools (good or bad)? What were the other admits like? I think it will be hard for some of us WLers to make a decision even if we are eventually admitted bc we didn't get an opportunity to meet our future classmates, etc.!

I totally hear what you mean. I actually feel like at this point my decision is gonna come down to how well i 'gel' with the school but especially with the student body. I'm deciding between penn and UCSF. As a cali resident before penn preview i was heavily leaning towards SF. Penn did a truly AMAZING job of showing us why they're special and how we could get an phenomenal education at penn. There were two things that really wowwed me, the first being how fun, interesting, and diverse all the perspective students are. A lot of the people i met had done some pretty phenomenal things: rhodes scholars, fulbrighters, olympic qualifying athletes, and amazing researchers but everyone was really personable, normal, humble, and knew how to have a good time. Even the phD students were totally fun and had really great social skills. On saturday night penn reserved a rooftop bar for all the med students and perspectives. The place was packed! We closed the bar down at 2am! We interacted extensively with current students and they all seemed really happy at penn and had full lives outside the classroom which is really important to me. The second thing that really impressed me was the administration. Seriously this group of people is 100% dedicated to making sure students have all the resources they need to truly excel. The staff including most of the higher ups in the admission process knew our names, areas of interest and made a point of putting perspectives in contact with students and faculty that shared those interests. In comparison to other second looks I've been to it really seems the administration is here to help you pursue and cultivate any interest relating to your medical career. I don't think you see that everywhere....

It was just...great! really really great! I'm going to UCSF next week so that'll give me the chance to get a feel for the school and possible future classmates. at this point I'm 50:50..........

I totally hear what you mean. I actually feel like at this point my decision is gonna come down to how well i 'gel' with the school but especially with the student body. I'm deciding between penn and UCSF. As a cali resident before penn preview i was heavily leaning towards SF. Penn did a truly AMAZING job of showing us why they're special and how we could get an phenomenal education at penn. There were two things that really wowwed me, the first being how fun, interesting, and diverse all the perspective students are. A lot of the people i met had done some pretty phenomenal things: rhodes scholars, fulbrighters, olympic qualifying athletes, and amazing researchers but everyone was really personable, normal, humble, and knew how to have a good time. Even the phD students were totally fun and had really great social skills. On saturday night penn reserved a rooftop bar for all the med students and perspectives. The place was packed! We closed the bar down at 2am! We interacted extensively with current students and they all seemed really happy at penn and had full lives outside the classroom which is really important to me. The second thing that really impressed me was the administration. Seriously this group of people is 100% dedicated to making sure students have all the resources they need to truly excel. The staff including most of the higher ups in the admission process knew our names, areas of interest and made a point of putting perspectives in contact with students and faculty that shared those interests. In comparison to other second looks I've been to it really seems the administration is here to help you pursue and cultivate any interest relating to your medical career. I don't think you see that everywhere....

It was just...great! really really great! I'm going to UCSF next week so that'll give me the chance to get a feel for the school and possible future classmates. at this point I'm 50:50..........

Wow. UCSF, Penn. That's an awesome choice to be making. Why did Stanford get thrown out? I remember you being interested there too.

Anyway, that's a tough decision as well. I'm waitlisted at Penn, so yes, I have a motive for you not to go there, but I'll give you my own thoughts trying to avoid bias or dirty tricks. Personally, I think I'd probably choose UCSF. It was my first choice/dream school going into this process, but I sadly didn't get even to the secondary phase (I wish I had learned about appealing your decision before it was really too late).

They have the same 1.5 year curriculum as Penn, it's located in SF (which, except for potentially cost of living, is probably a cooler city than Philadelphia), their hospital system is better than Penn's, the weather :love:, plus its cheaper....although, I guess with the UC system problems that is still up in the air at this point. You're going to find cool, accomplished people at either place. The two people I know from my college at UC-SF are pretty awesome. 1 is a theatre playwright and has had shows performed from her scripts off-broadway, the other is a MD/PhD and did a one year research fulbright at Max Planck in Germany before enrolling. You're going to meet awesome people everywhere, something you realize is apparent at all Top 10 schools.

Heck, I remember at my Stanford overnight stay, I met a Fulbright scholar who spent a year in Japan, a student who worked for 2 years post-grad in community health programs in Albania, and a kid with a PhD from MIT and multiple bioengineering patents. I think something along the lines of 1 in 5 HHMI fellowships offered each year to medical students goes to a Stanford student.

Again, moral of the story...you'll meet amazing people at any Top 10/20 med school. Penn/Philly are awesome as well.

Wow. the facebook group already has 107 members. I am guessing that is not a good sign for us?

according to someone in the main thread, they have already started taking people off the waitlist...anyone hear anything?

according to someone in the main thread, they have already started taking people off the waitlist...anyone hear anything?

Sounds like it was an isolated case...and more of, "we'll probably let you in around May 15th" rather than "here's your acceptance". So far, I haven't heard anything else and I know a lot of people on the waitlist there.

yeah, i guess more waiting! How was Sinai's second look, mdeast?

yeah, i guess more waiting! How was Sinai's second look, mdeast?

Great, actually...I was really impressed. Made me really appreciate the cool things that go along with living in Manhattan...plus the awesome atmosphere/housing/location of Sinai. I'll end up OK if I don't end up getting in off any waitlists I think. I think I will really miss Philly (and I love/probably prefer to stay here) but will appreciate some new surroundings if things work out how they probably will. Sigh, still love ya Penn...but I'm increasingly getting the sense you don't love me back.

Ultimately, it just reminded me of how much I'm excited to be doing something new, with new classmates, people, etc. next year.

I emailed Gaye last week and she got back to me pretty quickly (within a few hours) with a really, really short message. Something along the lines of "Thanks for letting me know you're still excited to come and that you still have strong preferences for Penn." She didn't mention anything about when the waitlist would move.

Last edited:
So it's official Penn has started using their waitlist. Someone I know indirectly (friend of a friend) got in (saw as a status update on fbook, ha).

**sigh**

Status
Not open for further replies.