2010 Penn Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What did your status page say?

• Tier 1 + invite to Penn preview

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Tier 1 + you will be considered for admission very early

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • "Regular" Tier 1

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • Tier 2

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To where should I send the LOI? Is there an email address?

Members don't see this ad.

you can email them to [email protected]
:) good luck!! it seems like everyone on the waitlist is still hopeful and everyone who got accepted wants to go! but we gotta keep our fingers crossed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone please paste the wait-list letter for the "regular" Tier 1 and "Early Decision" Tier 1? Are we sure there is a difference? There was a post last year from someone who emailed the director of admissions, and her response was that there should be no difference within the tiers... She could very well be covering up their internal ranking system, but I just wanted to be clear that there was a notable difference in the language. Does anyone have any information on this for this year too?

seconded

No. There definitely is a difference. I have the regular Waitlist Tier 1.

"The Committee on Admissions has a continuing interest in your application and we hope you remain interested in Penn."

I think this is the "highly ranked Tier 1"...from last year's thread.

"Your application was very highly regarded by the Committee, and therefore, you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list. Your placement on the list means you will be one of the first students considered for admission from the waitlist."

Mdeast is right. I now know people who have gotten both, and there is a clear difference. It is odd that the adcom didn't seem to acknowledge this last year though.

Based on the SDN poll, it seems a lot less people got the "highly ranked Tier 1." I wonder if this is just a SDN thing or if they actually sent out less "highly ranked" WL letters...

No. There definitely is a difference. I have the regular Waitlist Tier 1.

"The Committee on Admissions has a continuing interest in your application and we hope you remain interested in Penn."

I think this is the "highly ranked Tier 1"...from last year's thread.

"Your application was very highly regarded by the Committee, and therefore, you have been placed on the first tier waitlist--among those at the very top of the list. Your placement on the list means you will be one of the first students considered for admission from the waitlist."

Mdeast is right. I now know people who have gotten both, and there is a clear difference. It is odd that the adcom didn't seem to acknowledge this last year though.

Based on the SDN poll, it seems a lot less people got the "highly ranked Tier 1." I wonder if this is just a SDN thing or if they actually sent out less "highly ranked" WL letters...

Yes. It's strange that Penn tries to mask their tier system. There are really four tiers. Preview Invite, Highly Ranked, Regular Tier 1, and Tier 2. And...judging from this thread, almost all the applicants who aren't accepted are placed in regular tier 1. There are NO rejections. I'm still pretty pessimistic about any hope/chances, but most of the people who got in off the waitlist last year were actually regular tier 1 kids.

On another note, anyone else send in a letter to Gaye. Did she reply? I haven't heard anything back.

Yes. It's strange that Penn tries to mask their tier system. There are really four tiers. Preview Invite, Highly Ranked, Regular Tier 1, and Tier 2. And...judging from this thread, almost all the applicants who aren't accepted are placed in regular tier 1. There are NO rejections. I'm still pretty pessimistic about any hope/chances, but most of the people who got in off the waitlist last year were actually regular tier 1 kids.

On another note, anyone else send in a letter to Gaye. Did she reply? I haven't heard anything back.

A friend of mine got in off the regular tier waitlist without sending in an LOI. Interestingly enough, a friend of her's was placed on the "Penn Preview" waitlist and ended up NOT getting in. Who knows what those crazy adcom people are doing.

MDEast, i sent an email to Gaye on Sunday and did not receive a response (i doubt we will).

A friend of mine got in off the regular tier waitlist without sending in an LOI. Interestingly enough, a friend of her's was placed on the "Penn Preview" waitlist and ended up NOT getting in. Who knows what those crazy adcom people are doing.

MDEast, i sent an email to Gaye on Sunday and did not receive a response (i doubt we will).

These people are from last year right?

Last year's thread had most people getting a response, albeit about a week delayed.

Edit: Well, at least the admissions office people let me know that it was added to my file. Just got an email. I CCed adms2010.

Last edited:
anyone get a reply from Gaye after sending in a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get a reply from Gaye after sending in a letter?

Nope :( She's got a busy schedule though, and I'm sure she gets a lot of those letters this time of year. So, I wouldn't think too much about it.

I did get an email from the office telling me my letter was added to my file though. The Committee won't review it until they feel the waitlist needs to be looked at.

Last edited:
I got one, but I sent it the following day after waitlists. So she may have not had as many to answer back then.

Has everyone been using the adm2010 address posted on UPenn status page? I sent a LOI 2-3 weeks ago and never received a reply...

Thanks!

Has everyone been using the adm2010 address posted on UPenn status page? I sent a LOI 2-3 weeks ago and never received a reply...

Thanks!

I sent mine a week ago and got a reply. But I asked in the email I sent to specifically let me know if it had been received.

does a response from Gaye actually mean something? (A Response to a letter of intent)

I don't want to look too much into this...but hey whatever keeps my hopes up lol

does a response from Gaye actually mean something? (A Response to a letter of intent)

I don't want to look too much into this...but hey whatever keeps my hopes up lol

Did you get a response?

Well, it certainly can't be a bad sign. What did she say?

just thank you for the letter and that there won't be any wait list movement until mid-May. She also concluded with saying i'll be a wonderful future physician..which was really nice and made me smile.

just thank you for the letter and that there won't be any wait list movement until mid-May. She also concluded with saying i'll be a wonderful future physician..which was really nice and made me smile.

That's very nice and certainly sounds like a positive sign, rather than a negative sign. She clearly thinks well of you. When did you email her, I think I sent mine in at the end of last week, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I think I actually saw Gaye today while I was eating lunch outside (it's soooo warm now in Philly) and almost had the guts to go up and talk to her. Then I realized I didn't exactly remember what Gaye looked like and thought it might be best not to bother potential strangers.

Last edited:
That's very nice and certainly sounds like a positive sign, rather than a negative sign. She clearly thinks well of you. When did you email her, I think I sent mine in at the end of last week, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I think I actually saw Gaye today while I was eating lunch outside (it's soooo warm now in Philly) and almost had the guts to go up and talk to her. Then I realized I didn't exactly remember what Gaye looked like and thought it might be best not to bother potential strangers.

Maybe you should visit her in the office? Make an appointment to discuss what you can to better your candidacy ( something that'd obviously be easier to do via phone in person). That way she can get to know you and realize your awesomeness.

It's a slow day at work..hence quick responses

Maybe you should visit her in the office? Make an appointment to discuss what you can to better your candidacy ( something that'd obviously be easier to do via phone in person). That way she can get to know you and realize your awesomeness.

It's a slow day at work..hence quick responses

That's a little too pushy and I was actually advised against doing something like that. I think Penn (and any other committee) prefers digital or written correspondence. It's hard enough for them to have to pick from a hundred letters of waitlisted applicants who all really want to go. Makes it a bit easier for her to make tough decisions.

That's a little too pushy and I was actually advised against doing something like that. I think Penn (and any other committee) prefers digital or written correspondence. It's hard enough for them to have to pick from a hundred letters of waitlisted applicants who all really want to go. Makes it a bit easier for her to make tough decisions.

it's actually a huge risk..depending on how the conversation goes..if it ends with her liking you than the warning is obviously void...this whole process has been crazy...i can't imagine going through something like this twice..i really feel for re-applicants

it's actually a huge risk..depending on how the conversation goes..if it ends with her liking you than the warning is obviously void...this whole process has been crazy...i can't imagine going through something like this twice..i really feel for re-applicants

I think I interview well generally, so I wouldn't be too afraid (except for my student interview at Penn...which was abysmal. But I chalk that up to my interviewer, and not myself). I just find it sort of unfair to put someone else in that situation. Gaye is probably stressed enough about it.

Yeah, I'm super happy I got in this cycle...it'd be crazy to go through this again...especially with the prospect of 4 years of hard work ahead of you and the idea of having to pay for all those damn secondaries and traveling again. I'm sitting on 8 acceptances, but mainly at my safety/match level schools. Only one dream school (Sinai) :love:. I've withdrawn at most, and I'll just be happy by the time June rolls around and we can all basically move on to the next stage of this process.

I think I interview well generally, so I wouldn't be too afraid (except for my student interview at Penn...which was abysmal. But I chalk that up to my interviewer, and not myself). I just find it sort of unfair to put someone else in that situation. Gaye is probably stressed enough about it.

Yeah, I'm super happy I got in this cycle...it'd be crazy to go through this again...especially with the prospect of 4 years of hard work ahead of you and the idea of having to pay for all those damn secondaries and traveling again. I'm sitting on 8 acceptances, but mainly at my safety/match level schools. Only one dream school (Sinai) :love:. I've withdrawn at most, and I'll just be happy by the time June rolls around and we can all basically move on to the next stage of this process.

so if the wait lists fall through you will be going to sinai? that's awesome! Part of me regrets withdrawing post interview invitation..i kinda wanted to see what it was like

so if the wait lists fall through you will be going to sinai? that's awesome! Part of me regrets withdrawing post interview invitation..i kinda wanted to see what it was like

I think I'm going there too as of now too. On the Penn, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford waitlists though.

Sinai's great. Sorry you missed it, but I understand you probably were accepted at other great places beforehand. Where do you think you're going as of now?

Sinai's great. Sorry you missed it, but I understand you probably were accepted at other great places beforehand. Where do you think you're going as of now?

if all wait lists fall through, I'll be going to Pitt. I really liked it there so im excited either way.

if all wait lists fall through, I'll be going to Pitt. I really liked it there so im excited either way.

Congrats! Pitt's great. They unfortunately rejected me pre-interview so I never got the chance to see it. Pittsburgh's a great city too. I think Sinai might win out on location, but either are good places to live. You'll definitely be living in more comfortable abodes as a pitt student than a manhattan student. :)

Penn is a nice happy medium in between.

Congrats! Pitt's great. They unfortunately rejected me pre-interview so I never got the chance to see it. Pittsburgh's a great city too. I think Sinai might win out on location, but either are good places to live. You'll definitely be living in more comfortable abodes as a pitt student than a manhattan student. :)

Penn is a nice happy medium in between.

haha yeah, very few cities can compete with new york lol

I doubt they get 100 letters from the waitlist. They said 100 people stay on it. But you never know.

I doubt they get 100 letters from the waitlist. They said 100 people stay on it. But you never know.

Well. I'd imagine about 600 or more initially offered, 400 accept, and 100 stay on through May. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Gaye did get a 100 letters from applicants. I personally know of two other close friends who are writing one.

won't there be some wait list movement starting this Thursday? Probably the Penn Preview invites. Did Penn 2nd look already happen?

won't there be some wait list movement starting this Thursday? Probably the Penn Preview invites. Did Penn 2nd look already happen?

Preview is not this weekend...but actually the following weekend (of the 23rd I do believe). Plus, most people wait til May 15th to withdraw anyway. There's no pressing concern to do so early, just in case their mind changes or circumstances change in that time period. Penn is also hoping more students withdraw from the waitlist, so they don't risk giving an acceptance offer to a student who isn't interested in attending.

So, definitely no movement until May 15th.

so Penn is #2..looks like its less likely we are going to get in..although I can't imagine Penn ever had a problem with yield, but I feel like it will be slightly higher given this change.

I doubt that has an effect. It is already good enough that people choosing against it have a good reason to do so.

Moving from #3 to #2 has no effect. When you're Top 5, you're top 5.

Of more important note...there weren't 212 (I think that's what the interview sheet said?) accepted students last year. There were 265. Keeping the hope.

5532 applied, 852 interviewed, 265 were accepted, 161 enrolled

Moving from #3 to #2 has no effect. When you're Top 5, you're top 5.

Of more important note...there weren't 212 (I think that's what the interview sheet said?) accepted students last year. There were 265. Keeping the hope.

5532 applied, 852 interviewed, 265 were accepted, 161 enrolled
Yeah the interview sheet said 218 (the 852 number matches though).

I wonder if that means that there were 218 outright or if that number just came from nowhere

That would make sense; I think it was like 40 off the waitlist last year maybe.

so Penn is #2..looks like its less likely we are going to get in..although I can't imagine Penn ever had a problem with yield, but I feel like it will be slightly higher given this change.

Agree. One look at the Penn forum shows there are certainly people who will be swayed by the slight change.

I've heard Penn students voice sort of an "inferiority complex" in comparison to JHU and Harvard, so I can see this melting some of those fears... though US News gotta stop talking that blah blah blah.

Agree. One look at the Penn forum shows there are certainly people who will be swayed by the slight change.

I've heard Penn students voice sort of an "inferiority complex" in comparison to JHU and Harvard, so I can see this melting some of those fears... though US News gotta stop talking that blah blah blah.

I doubt this has any effect on enrollment this year. Most people who'd matriculate at places like Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, Yale, UCSF, etc. over Penn will do so for reasons completely unrelated to rank. When you're Top 10, you're Top 10.

I'm sort of surprised by this though. From a hospital-only standpoint, Hopkins is a better institution than Penn. I've worked at both and (....although I've never been to Mass General), I just don't see how you can get better care than patients at Hopkins.

I do think Penn Med is a more desirable medical school though. Completely deserving of it's #2 position. Awesome curriculum, happy students, great location (Philly!). Gaye please accept me? :)

Or they will go for a scholarship somewhere, and if theyd go to the school for free, #2 or #3 wont change that.

Or they will go for a scholarship somewhere, and if theyd go to the school for free, #2 or #3 wont change that.

Exactly. Or other reasons. I have two friends accepted at Penn who aren't going. One's going to Cornell because his girlfriend got a law job there. Another enrolled at Mayo because she's a total Minnesota person.

I don't think rank had anything to do with their decision. #3 is just as appealing as #2.

Exactly. Or other reasons. I have two friends accepted at Penn who aren't going. One's going to Cornell because his girlfriend got a law job there. Another enrolled at Mayo because she's a total Minnesota person.

I don't think rank had anything to do with their decision. #3 is just as appealing as #2.

#2 is pretty delicious, though...

Oh wolfie. Don't get all distracted by the number. Stanford's #11 now! Do you really care?

I liked the school for the school...for instance, i didn't want to go back to baltimore so I didn't apply to hopkins even if it was #2 at the time.

I liked the school for the school...for instance, i didn't want to go back to baltimore so I didn't apply to hopkins even if it was #2 at the time.

Me too! Although, I only interned at Hopkins for a winter break. Great, great hospital. Terrible, terrible city. Didn't even cross my mind to apply there.

Status
Not open for further replies.