2011-2012 Albany Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

What, no Albany love??

I interviewed here last December. I'm still on their version of the wait-list (under-consideration list). If it doesn't work out this year, I'm defffffinitely reapplying. Loved the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Giving it some love! Would like some love back this cycle :D

best of luck everyone! my brother's friend went here, and absolutely loved it. let's do it! :)

not yet...I was verified 6/2

Just got the secondary this morning!

Submitted my AMCAS 6/1.

Good luck everybody!

1. If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College or another medical school and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time?
1000 characters

2. Describe yourself:
1000 characters

3. If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?
160 characters

1. If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College or another medical school and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time?
1000 characters

2. Describe yourself:
1000 characters

3. If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?
160 characters

Thank you :)

Has anyone else received a secondary yet?

Somehow I doubt only one SDNer got the 2ndary if it's out already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Giving it some love! Would like some love back this cycle :D

:eyebrow:

Are you applying to all 160 something medical schools? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've seen you in every school specific thread I've seen! Lol.

Or is it just me? Hahaha

:eyebrow:

Are you applying to all 160 something medical schools? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've seen you in every school specific thread I've seen! Lol.

Or is it just me? Hahaha

Haha, again, no I am applying no where near 160 schools. Not even close. My number of schools is pretty normal; it's just that I am really vocal on all of the threads so that it gives the illusion that I am applying like mad.

Also, we probably have similar stats/lists.

what is everyone writing for the "Describe yourself" prompt? I mean...should it be like "these are my characterisitcs and this is how they match with Albany" or more of a like "educational history"/tells your cultural or study abroad experiences?

what are you guys filling out for number 1 if it doesn't apply to you? "Not applicable" and then move onto next question??

and the describe yourself..are you talking about personality/traits? or like your life story-in abstract form?

Just copy and paste in whatever you put in for your dating profile.

what is everyone writing for the "Describe yourself" prompt? I mean...should it be like "these are my characterisitcs and this is how they match with Albany" or more of a like "educational history"/tells your cultural or study abroad experiences?

Skip the educational history, it is pretty obvious from all your transcripts. I am gonna go with what makes me unique and how I can contribute to the school.

Just received the secondary this morning. Seems kinda late compared to everyone else on this thread? Haha...

What is everyone writing for the "one life experience" question?

What is everyone writing for the "one life experience" question?

This is just a set up for non-sense joke answers. But I'm guessing a lot of people list trips or things done abroad.

Three yes's across the board but no "yes" for complete. Anyone here complete yet?

Three yes's across the board but no "yes" for complete. Anyone here complete yet?

Same situation here. Just trying to wait patiently..... hah. guess that isn't working to well though because i've been browsing these SSTs :)

I checked today and I was finally marked complete, I submitted on the 12th.

Anyone know if they take the "one life experience" question literally and just ask you about that one in an interview? I wrote my personal statement about a particular experience and would rather not write it again here and look like that's all I can talk about -- I have another good experience I could write (and it's one of my "most meaningful" activities on AMCAS so it's not like it's not in my application at all yet), but if I could only talk about one of them at an interview I'd rather talk about the one in my PS.

If I filled out my AMCAS, but didn't submit secondaries, should I answer the question about previously applying to medical schools? Anyone else in the same position?

Any advice for the "Describe yourself" essay? Keep it medically related? Or just talk about what makes you, you? Any suggestions would help, suffering from extreme writers block

Any advice for the "Describe yourself" essay? Keep it medically related? Or just talk about what makes you, you? Any suggestions would help, suffering from extreme writers block
Just don't overthink it. Write about yourself: personality, path to medicine, life experiences, etc. Just make sure that you don't list everything. I always go for coherence and unity in my essays.:luck:

Just don't overthink it. Write about yourself: personality, path to medicine, life experiences, etc. Just make sure that you don't list everything. I always go for coherence and unity in my essays.:luck:

Thanks for the advice!

Hi guys!

Submitted AMCAS a couple of weeks ago, no verification of completion yet form AMCAS (makes total sense, no worries).

My question:

a few schools send out secondaries before the primary is verified; is this the case with Albany? just askin cuz i didn't get a secondary email yet

thanks! (and goodluck to everyone!! :))

Hi guys!

Submitted AMCAS a couple of weeks ago, no verification of completion yet form AMCAS (makes total sense, no worries).

My question:

a few schools send out secondaries before the primary is verified; is this the case with Albany? just askin cuz i didn't get a secondary email yet

thanks! (and goodluck to everyone!! :))

I'm not sure myself. I added Albany on July 15 (this is after I submitted AMCAS way earlier in June) and received a secondary invitation email from them on 25th. They never mentioned in the email about screening applicants before giving out secondaries, so I guess not. Not sure why you haven't received it after several weeks :confused:

I definitely think they wait to send it out until after verification by AMCAS. I didn't get it until almost 2 weeks after my AMCAS was verified.

do you guys think albany is research or Primary care focused? do they emphasize leadership?

Could someone please let me know where I can check my status?

Hey guys. When you submitted your secondary and clicked "certify," was there a confirmation page saying it was submitted or did it just take you to the "Draft Copy for ________" where there was an option to print or return to the application?

This school is so weird in that they don't accept extra letters. I added my committee letter and additional letters in the secondary application, only to learn that they downloaded the additional letters only. I called in, and the lady (apparently, med school admission office front desk ppl are always middle aged ladies) told me that you have to choose either the committee letter or the other letters :confused: That was so ******ed and weird, me thinks. Of course I had no choice but to say drop the additional letters and add the committee letters :thumbdown:

Anyone here anything yet? I submitted my secondary on 7/18, no response thus far, only 2 weeks though.

Anyone here anything yet? I submitted my secondary on 7/18, no response thus far, only 2 weeks though.
Only thing you might hear is rejection. Last year they started invites in September

The essay is killing me, one character at a time. This is among my the last secondaries I have to do, and I keep putting it off because I have no idea how to actually describe myself in 1,000 characters without sounding 1) full of crap, 2) like a total tool, 3) like I'm just listing stuff/have mild ADD 4) all of the above. Argh!

The essay is killing me, one character at a time. This is among my the last secondaries I have to do, and I keep putting it off because I have no idea how to actually describe myself in 1,000 characters without sounding 1) full of crap, 2) like a total tool, 3) like I'm just listing stuff/have mild ADD 4) all of the above. Argh!
I don't know how you are approaching it, but I had the same issue initially. After a few attempts at describing myself with adjectives and trying to back them up with examples, I started writing about examples of things that I enjoy that, in some ways, define me as a person. Who knows if that is what they are looking for, but it at least helped me to write a decent paragraph.

+1. It's my last application and I've been agonizing over that question for days. Does anyone think they put much weight on what we say?

Status
Not open for further replies.